Marcus - formerly Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley
London, SW1X 7RLNeighbourhood:
EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
Marcus - formerly Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marcus-wareing.com/
- Phone: 020 7235 1200
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12:pm -2:30pm, 18pm -10:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, British
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Private Room, Wine
A word from Marcus - formerly Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley
After an extensive refurbishment the former Marcus Wareing at The Berkeley has reopened as Marcus. The new ‘look’ exudes cool sophistication; a carefully considered blend of timeless elegance, clean, classical lines and a refined colour palette, providing a fresh, inviting and relaxed backdrop for Marcus and his team to thrill and enchant their guests. Marcus remains at the helm, working closely with Head Chef Mark Froydenlund. The essence of the food has been retained but has been updated. The menus deliver modern European food with a British influence and are characterized by the finest produce, exacting execution and creative flair. . Relaxed formality is the order of the day and is no more apparent than in the service, led by Restaurant Manager Daniel Greenock, which strikes the perfect balance between being engaging, knowledgeable, and passionate whilst also being attentive yet unassuming.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerEuropean
Marcus - formerly Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley - Best restaurants in Knightsbridge ›
Marcus - formerly Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley reviews from OpenTable diners
234 reviews since 26 November 2013
special occasions (165)fit for foodies (125)romance (95)business meals (75)sunday lunch (15)group bookings (13)pre/post theatre (11)outstanding value (10)afternoon tea (9)good vegetarian options (9)outdoor eating (4)disabled access (2)child friendly (2)Show More
- VistingCjcnDined on 24/11/2014We were on our honeymoon from the U.S. we had to try all the Michelin restaurants we can get in in one week. Marcus was our first. The price for 2: 450 pounds was shocking but the food was definitely superb. Each bite we were wowed. Dishes I would never even try, like the lamb I was in awe. Would recommend others to try and experience. Service was very attentive as if 2 waiters were there only for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 22/11/2014It was the food and all the staff that made eating at Marcus so wonderfull. I went for my birthday and was not disappointed. We both had the tasting menu with selected wine. I could not decided on dessert so our waiter asked what dessert I was trying to pick from. I told him I liked three on offer so he said he would pick for me, I agreed as I could not decided. When dessert came they served me all three! Then gave me a out of this world birthday cake. Time to hit the gym!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- whitevanmanDined on 20/11/2014The food was not particularly interesting or tasty and many of the dishes were not hot when served, although they should have been. The atmosphere was stuffy, for no apparent reason.
- Taste of Autumn menu at MarcusCustardDined on 19/11/2014We were drawn to try the restaurant by the Taste of Autumn menu. We thought this was good value and an excellent showcase for the restaurant. We chose the menu with the matching wines which enables you to have a glass of wine selected to go with each course. The food was outstanding and the wines were an excellent choice. It was a set menu, but you could choose between 2 different main courses. I was so pleased that the dessert included a small piece of Marcus's fabulous egg custard tart. The service was very attentive and although the restaurant has an atmosphere of formality, it was friendly and not too formal. We enjoyed our meal very much and will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/11/2014This was my second visit in 6 months coming from Antwerp in Belgium after the new decorating of the room and I was very satisfied by this, the splendid service and the food but one minus point is to be named, a group of about 15 people got access to a small area at the entrance left in the restaurant and had their drink for about 30 minutes with a lot of noise there in front of the closed separated room with vieuw on the kitchen , I was not happy about this spoiling the respected silence in the restaurant by the other clients,to a a lady servant( I mentioned that this renovated area where I was sitting in was the restaurant and not a bar , said she would try to dim the noise but nothing happened on the contrary the group of noisy people increased ! At the end of my visit I got an unexpected bonus and that made me feel happy and released !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarryMDined on 15/11/2014Surpassed our expectations with fantastic food and first class serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 15/11/2014Food (most important): The starters were a mixed bag – the rabbit had lots of flavour but the beetroot that accompanied it was incredibly salty. My fiancé had foie gras which was drowned in oil. The mains were great my fiancé had the pork and I had the venison; the sauces were very good (the high point of the meal). We also ordered a pommes puree with Lincolnshire poacher which was tasty and very rich (as opposed to me as I fail to understand how you can justify charging £10 for potatoes, cream and cheese!). The dessert were again a mixed bag; the warm chocolate with salted caramel was underwhelming while the peanut butter dessert was fantastic! The extras which included amuse bouche was ok, the cheese bites were incredibly salty. The bread had an aniseed flavour which was unusual (not horrible) and the after dinner chocolates were nothing special. From a 2 * restaurant I want to be blown away by the extras but if I had bought any of these at the supermarket I would not buy them again. Service: Our orders were taken but when my fiancé pronounced ‘che’ incorrectly the waiter was very abrupt in correcting her. We are not experts but certainly not novices regarding food and most Michelin restaurants we have visited want to share their expertise and teach you however at Marcus we were almost made to feel foolish. We also heard the people at the table next to us say how arrogant the waiter was! Ambience: Very pretentious, no music and it was quite hard to feel relaxed with so many eyes on you. The tables with ‘booth’ seating are rectangular and placed people at unusual angles. As a two party we were seated next to each other but a party of 3 next to us were sat one at the head of the table and two next to each other which looked awkward and difficult for all to get involved; they obviously felt so and asked to be moved to another table (which in fairness was organised).
- Marcus versus Petrus and MuranoPiotrDined on 15/11/2014I and my wife had an opportunity to dine on consecutive days at three Michelin stars restaurants in London : Murano, Petrus and Marcus. I choosed the same main dish - crispy pork belly in all these restaurants what let me better compare meals. We had 3 courses menu with wine ca 150 pounds per bottle. Our opinions were as follows. Petrus and Murano at the similar level with pointing Petrus as best choice having food and service at the highest level and the bill came out the lowest. Murano was a bit behind Petrus but offered more friendly ambience. Marcus at The Berkeley definitely deserves no Michelin stars. The food taste worse (pork skins could not chew, and the vegetables were too sour) and our stomachs showed its presence by the rest of the day. Service wanted to be friendly, but they performed it artificially (except sommelier) and the bill was over 25% higher than at Petrus. Never again at Marcus although I remember Marcus Wareing's meals when he was chef at Petrus and his meals were at high level. Why so bad is now?
- Spoil yourself!FoodgloriousfoodDined on 15/11/2014Wonderful food, wine to complement and attentive staff...and the most delicious chocolates to take away! A fantastic way to spend a couple of hours in London, away from the hustle and bustle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently the best chef in the world.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 13/11/2014Outstanding food in presentation, taste, complement of ingredients and textures. Excellent service in efficiency, charm and relaxed manner. A delightful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Expensive TreatelaeroplanoVIPDined on 12/11/2014I tend to steer away from Michelin starred restaurants these days but booked this for my wife's birthday. The food really blew me away - the pinnacle being a main of venison with a black pudding sauce. There were five very seasoned diners in our party and we all agreed that each course was outstanding. Service is very friendly and the sommelier was excepitional - a young guy with great attitude and fantastic recommenrdations within our price band. Marcus made this very jaded diner (and his wife/family) very happy and it was great to see MW himself speaking to the diners - he seemed very friendly. I would definitely go back for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marcus - worth a visitPJaneJVIPDined on 10/11/2014There are many very good restaurants in London, Marcus is definitely worth a try, it is quite pricey but definitely worth the moneySpecial Features:
- Birthday ExperienceDinnerdateDined on 8/11/2014The overall experience was lovely. From a service point was good but would have been even better if someone had offered to take our coats as had to leave them on the chair besides us. Food was exceptional along with wine chosen by the sommelier. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys the highest food though the decor may not be to everyone's taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousMrUUDined on 8/11/2014Wonderful food, if quite rich (how I like it), very well executed with friendly genuine service. Special mention must go to Joris, the Sommelier and to Davide, who both looked after us so well. I had been meaning to go for ages and my wife's birthday was the perfect excuse.Special Features:
- Superb dining experiencefairweathersailorDined on 7/11/2014It would be hard to better the dinner that we had at Marcus to celebrate my uncle's 70th birthday. We were given the chef's table for the evening which was an unexpected pleasure. Watching a remarkably quiet but very focused kitchen brigade working under the watchful eyes of head chef Mark and Marcus himself was illuminating. And out of that kitchen came some magnificent food such as unctuous wild mushroom risotto and creamy foie gras as starters and my main course of perfectly cooked Lake District lamb. Our menu choices as a group were a challenge for the sommelier, but he guided us to some less obvious choices from the wine list that worked extremely well. Service was charming and ever present without being intrusive. A wonderful evening.Special Features:
- The best meal I ever hadMart37Dined on 7/11/2014I have had a gourmet tour of London in the last few months due to early retirement. Amongst others, I have been to the Savoy Grill, Kaspers at the Savoy, The Manoir and now to Marcus at the Berkeley. The first three, whilst satisfactory are overrated and too costly for what they deliver. I must say however that Marcus lived up to all expectations. We tried the taster menu and had a lovely bottle of wine to accompany it. The ambience is special, the staff do not rush, and the food is quite frankly out of this world. It was also a pleasant surpirise to see Marcus himself walking around tables and talking to the guests. This is expensive, but in my opinion worth every penny. We will definately indulge again in the near future, whereas we will never revisit the former establishments I mentioned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingKirstenDined on 1/11/2014I have been to much better Michelin starred restaurants. It was OK I suppose but the restaurant lacked any atmosphere - no buzz but not really a cosy feel either...and we were seated with a pillar right in front of our table in an isolated corner. I found it too dark also. Food wise, it was OK I suppose but the presentation lacked the flair and originality that one usually finds with each consecutive dish in a restaurant of this calibre. Heavy handed with flavours - some of the flavours seemed to clash with each other and overwhelmed the meat and fish. Nice dessert offerings however and lovely bread. Service so so. This restaurant really did not live up to our expectations, very expensive too! Shame...Special Features:
- Perfect Servicebtc1Dined on 31/10/2014The food was divine but the choice for someone who generally avoids eating meat was limited. The service was exceptional and the dining room was very polished. I had thought that the new Marcus was to be a little less formal but this was not evident. Not that it mattered, if you are spending this kind of money on food then some formality is preferable.Special Features:
- Absolutely Outstanding DinneramedawgDined on 24/10/2014I had a table for 2 booked on Friday 24th October with my good friend and we had an amazing 5 course dinner. The staff were so incredibly attentive but didn't hover around you like vulture. They were very friendly/approachable - not pretentious. My favourite was the fois gras to start but every single course was delicious! It made my night to be able to complement the chef directly - Marcus did a much welcomed floor walk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok-not the full Michelin experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 21/10/2014Been to many Michelin meals and this one doesn't rank top of the list. Service was ok, food was good but nothing amazing.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerJohnNDined on 20/10/2014Very nice dinner, excellent and friendly staff. Atmosphere is great and the food is really good. Only 4/5 for the food as it was a tad simple for a 2 star restaurant.Special Features:
- Special meal @ MarcusScottieDined on 18/10/2014Had to confirm booking by email and phone. Very salty - Badoit most salty mineral water, butter has crystals of salt in it and amuse voucher and breaded heavily salted. Service very attentive but felt rushed. Odd atmosphere and ambience with many international travellers shabbily dressed. Food was good but not amazing. Most expensive meal I have ever had. Not the experience I was looking for as a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great Taste MenufoodiesfromirelandDined on 17/10/2014We deciede to go for the Taste Menu as we could experience more of the dishes this way. However we do not each fish so changed the scallop dish for the rabbit which they were happy to do. All of the items were wonderful especially the rabbit and the quail. Not so sure about the Fois Gras and its accompaniments. Would be nice to get the petit fours with tea and coffe not after. Nice layout, liked the fact we got a booth. Very relaxed atmosphere unlike other Michelin establishments we have been to. Bathrooms a bit of an effort to find. Service was wonderful, very attentive but not obtrusive. Good wine list and great dessert wines. Bottled water a little bit on the expensive size when you are reaching 6 or 7 bottles.Special Features:
- FantasticDlaviDined on 13/10/2014Fantastic food, great service, and very accommodating staff. Highly rated for a reason, with a calm atmosphere.Special Features:
- Impeccable serviceBenjyDined on 11/10/2014Lunch at marcus was a fab experience the service was just amazing they overwhelmed us with their hospitality. We were with a couple of teenagers but they did not bat an eyelid when they asked to see kitchens or to keep the pen! (Cringe moment). The lunch menu was lovely but would have liked a little more choice the dishes were wonderful but the deserts stole the show hands down. The bacon main with dumplings parsley sauce was a simple dish but the flavours were perfect. Thank you for a wonderful lunch we will never forget the service or the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding lunchLondondiningDined on 7/10/2014We arrived early but this was not a problem. The table was ready and we started with pre dinner drinks while we perused the menu. Each course was delicious and the interval between each course was perfect. The staff was attentive and helpful. The restaurant has just been refurbished and is very comfortable. Prices are what you would expect from a top restaurant in a top hotel in central London.Would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great, service not so goodKlddDined on 4/10/2014We went to Marcus to celebrate our 10th Wedding Anniversary with friends, 4 diners in total. Although the food was excellent the service wasnt what we would expect from a two star restaurant. We felt very rushed and the waiting staff weren't very attentive during the time we were there.Special Features:
- What an experience!harrypotterDined on 4/10/2014I received a gift voucher for my birthday to Marcus & wow, what a fantastic present. The whole experience was superb with only one minor hiccough, I had to ask for the wine to be served with our starter, after which the service resumed to it's excellent high standards. The Executive Sommelier Michael Deschamps was superb & is a real credit to the restaurant. We enjoyed a post meal visit to the kitchen, which was a fantastic experience & were amazed to realize the kitchen was being run by an amazing 21 year old chef Jake. What a star he is & will obviously be someone to keep an eye on for the future. Marcus Wareing definitely knows how to do it & in style. To date our best meal ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningFifefoodies59Dined on 4/10/2014First class service and food in beautiful surroundings. This was our third visit to Marcus and each time has been very enjoyable. Front of house service is first class. We look forward to returning again, which unfortunately may be a while as we live in Fife, Scotland.Special Features:
- Excellent for a special occasionSarahWDined on 4/10/2014Visited Marcus on Saturday for lunch with my family. Service was lovely - attentive but not in-your-face which I like. We all had 4 courses at £95/head - the main course was everyone's least favorite but only because the other three were so exceptional! This would have certainly been a 5* experience had it not been for a couple of things 1) they didn't have the wine we wanted and 2) the fish course wasn't bought out all together so we had to wait for my brother-in-law's scallops for a good few minutes whilst ours were getting cold. The wine we did have though was very nice though, so all-in-all a very lovely fine-dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic lunchSelmackDined on 25/9/2014We went to Marcus for lunch to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday. We had a fantastic experience - the food was excellent and the service impeccable. For such a fine restaurant the ambience was friendly and pleasant.Special Features:
- a celebration lunchSYMIJDined on 24/9/2014we were celebrating both a birthday and also a very significant personal marker for one of my daughters. Marcus's did us proud. The food was sublime and we wanted to lick our plates. The service was totally unobtrusive but very helpful.will ceratinly save up and go back when I can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JasmineDined on 20/9/2014The first 3 courses were stunning, but all four of us found dessert a little disappointing.Special Features:
- Mrs Susan BowdlerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 19/9/2014Visited Marcus for lunch on Friday 19th September 2014. The food was very good but did not have the wow factor experienced in other michelin restaurants. The lamb main course was pleasant but was let down by the cold salad and the fact that the lamb was only warm rather than hot. My husband did however feel that the sweetbread starter and grouse main course were both excellent. The service was professional and attentive but lacked the degree of warmth that makes a good dining experience an exceptional one. I would however commend the sommelier on his superb choice of wine. Definitely worth another visit but the experience was not as good as other 2 michelin star restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's good!EP13Dined on 18/9/2014Simple but great fine dining. Unusually buzzy atmosphere and formal but not too formal service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic EveningFULLUPDined on 16/9/2014Superb food and service from all involved, topped off by meeting the man himself in his 'hands on' mode.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marcus.......SW6ersDined on 9/9/2014After a refurb, sometimes you have your doubts if it will still be the same. But Marcus and his team continue to achieve excellence around a plate. Amazing service, selection and recommendations. Chief Sommelier - great understanding of wines and uber passionate.Special Features:
- lacks warmthOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 1/9/2014very good lunch menu for the value. not mind blowing but very well prepared. service could improve, lacked warmth and friendliness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 28/8/2014We finally got the chance to eat here and we left very disappointed. The food was bland, boring and had no creativity or imagination. Over cooked quail, foie gras was full of nerves and dishes were under seasoned. All very boring too. The service was very good and very attentive. When the bill came it just felt like another slap in the face. One of the most expensive meals I've ever had for something so disappointing. Don't bother eating here, walk next door to pierre koffmans instead. Not worth 2 MichelinSpecial Features:
- Average Food, Fussy ServiceChamberlenDined on 28/8/2014In short, this was a bad experience and we were greatly disappointed. The food and wine were okay but way way short of what one would expect given the chef and the price. This was compounded by the overly fussy service. Why do the waiting staff feel the need to top up our water glass every 60 seconds, even when completely unnecessary!? The continued to interrupt our conversation which was annoying. Being clear, the food was fine but lacked both the flavour or wow factor you would expect from £30 courses. They need to do much better and its a great shame given Marcus's reputation.