Marcus - formerly Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley
London, SW1X 7RLNeighbourhood:
EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
Marcus - formerly Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marcus-wareing.com/
- Phone: 02072351200x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12:pm -2:30pm, 18pm -10:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, British
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Private Room, Wine
A word from Marcus - formerly Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley
After an extensive refurbishment the former Marcus Wareing at The Berkeley has reopened as Marcus. The new ‘look’ exudes cool sophistication; a carefully considered blend of timeless elegance, clean, classical lines and a refined colour palette, providing a fresh, inviting and relaxed backdrop for Marcus and his team to thrill and enchant their guests. Marcus remains at the helm, working closely with Head Chef Mark Froydenlund. The essence of the food has been retained but has been updated. The menus deliver modern European food with a British influence and are characterized by the finest produce, exacting execution and creative flair. . Relaxed formality is the order of the day and is no more apparent than in the service, led by Restaurant Manager Daniel Greenock, which strikes the perfect balance between being engaging, knowledgeable, and passionate whilst also being attentive yet unassuming.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasions
- Diners' Choice WinnerEuropean
Marcus - formerly Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley - Best restaurants in Knightsbridge ›
Marcus - formerly Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley reviews from OpenTable diners
206 reviews since 2 June 2014
special occasions (146)fit for foodies (111)romance (85)business meals (68)sunday lunch (13)outstanding value (11)group bookings (9)pre/post theatre (9)afternoon tea (8)good vegetarian options (6)outdoor eating (3)disabled access (2)child friendly (1)Show More
- Fantastic lunchSelmackDined on 25/9/2014We went to Marcus for lunch to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday. We had a fantastic experience - the food was excellent and the service impeccable. For such a fine restaurant the ambience was friendly and pleasant.Special Features:
- a celebration lunchSYMIJDined on 24/9/2014we were celebrating both a birthday and also a very significant personal marker for one of my daughters. Marcus's did us proud. The food was sublime and we wanted to lick our plates. The service was totally unobtrusive but very helpful.will ceratinly save up and go back when I can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JasmineDined on 20/9/2014The first 3 courses were stunning, but all four of us found dessert a little disappointing.Special Features:
- Mrs Susan BowdlerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 19/9/2014Visited Marcus for lunch on Friday 19th September 2014. The food was very good but did not have the wow factor experienced in other michelin restaurants. The lamb main course was pleasant but was let down by the cold salad and the fact that the lamb was only warm rather than hot. My husband did however feel that the sweetbread starter and grouse main course were both excellent. The service was professional and attentive but lacked the degree of warmth that makes a good dining experience an exceptional one. I would however commend the sommelier on his superb choice of wine. Definitely worth another visit but the experience was not as good as other 2 michelin star restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's good!EP13Dined on 18/9/2014Simple but great fine dining. Unusually buzzy atmosphere and formal but not too formal service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic EveningFULLUPDined on 16/9/2014Superb food and service from all involved, topped off by meeting the man himself in his 'hands on' mode.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marcus.......SW6ersDined on 9/9/2014After a refurb, sometimes you have your doubts if it will still be the same. But Marcus and his team continue to achieve excellence around a plate. Amazing service, selection and recommendations. Chief Sommelier - great understanding of wines and uber passionate.Special Features:
- lacks warmthOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/9/2014very good lunch menu for the value. not mind blowing but very well prepared. service could improve, lacked warmth and friendliness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 28/8/2014We finally got the chance to eat here and we left very disappointed. The food was bland, boring and had no creativity or imagination. Over cooked quail, foie gras was full of nerves and dishes were under seasoned. All very boring too. The service was very good and very attentive. When the bill came it just felt like another slap in the face. One of the most expensive meals I've ever had for something so disappointing. Don't bother eating here, walk next door to pierre koffmans instead. Not worth 2 MichelinSpecial Features:
- Average Food, Fussy ServiceChamberlenDined on 28/8/2014In short, this was a bad experience and we were greatly disappointed. The food and wine were okay but way way short of what one would expect given the chef and the price. This was compounded by the overly fussy service. Why do the waiting staff feel the need to top up our water glass every 60 seconds, even when completely unnecessary!? The continued to interrupt our conversation which was annoying. Being clear, the food was fine but lacked both the flavour or wow factor you would expect from £30 courses. They need to do much better and its a great shame given Marcus's reputation.
- 5* food, 3* serviceKatieL123Dined on 27/8/2014We went for my husband's birthday, and had a fantastic table, the atmosphere was great and the staff were attentive and polite. The food was amazing, especially the turbot dish. The birthday cake was a nice touch! Unfortunately a few things let the service down which did spoil it a little for us - paying this much for a top class restaurant we didn't expect it. The wrong red wine was brought and decanted for us, then they removed my husband's white wine glass whilst there was still white wine left to pour, took 25 minutes to take our desert order, and put a full bottle of white wine on the bill rather than a half bottle. They were very apologetic about all of this, and compensated us, but it still took the shine off the meal for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was OkSZooDined on 25/8/2014We are a group of three friend to the restaurant and we ordered 5 courses tasting menu. Be fair, the food was very well cooked, but lack of the Wow factors. Service and wine are good. New interior design is nice.Special Features:
- Very disappointingNickbDined on 23/8/2014Drab decoration from the eighties... Average staff. If the food had been served by great staff in a modern atmosphere I honestly think my review would have been glowing... But a dark old fashioned atmosphere with staff that were very average made the whole experience very disappointing
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 18/8/2014I had the pleasure of attending Marcus where the service was immaculate and the food amazing. Marcus has put together one of the best taster menus out there where every dish is better than the last. Michelin stars fully deserved, I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch at MarcusmotherofafoodieDined on 18/8/2014Went with a 'foodie' friend and we were not disappointed. We were given extra warm bread startes and extra chocolate on top of the delicious three courses we chose. The staff were very friendly and attentive. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Enjoyable but not the bestDarwinDined on 16/8/2014We had the taster menu. It was good but not the wow I'd expect for the price tag. Not sure id go backSpecial Features:
- Fine dining at it's best.happygastroDined on 16/8/2014Superbly cooked food, with an excellent choice of wines and wonderful staff.Special Features:
- CindyordinarypersonlovesfoodDined on 15/8/2014Having eaten at a number of 1, 2 and 3 Michelin Star restaurants this year the arrival of the hors d'oeuvres worried me, I had become accustomed to small delicate intensely flavored morsels. The ones presented to us at Marcus were akin to salty dough balls. I need not have worried because each of the taster meals that came after that was sublime. I could rattle on about each course for hours, but you need to go there and try them yourself, I will however mention my two favorites; The Quail, carrot, corn bread, Summer savory – and Rove de Garrigues, hazelnut, sorrel. If I never eat another morsel I will die happy having eaten food of the Gods. Thank you Marcus. If you enjoy good food and wonderful wine this restaurant is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go somewhere elseLondondockerDined on 14/8/2014Very bland food - totally lacking in flavour or any wow factor - very small servings and totally overpriced . Service suffocating
- Marcus at the Berkeley- worth itDavidPRDined on 9/8/2014Went to Marcus at the Berkeley for 3 course set lunch. Service was faultless, attentive but not overbearing. Top class restaurant. Very little here to fault. Could have been offered the choice of tap water as opposed to sparkling/still. Aperitifs (eg champagne starting at £14.50 per glass) were pushed a bit too hard. Having said that the service and food were excellent. I took my jacket off and a staff member appeared milliseconds later to ask if I would like it hung up. Small detail but reflective of attention given to the overall dining experience. My partner was celebrating her birthday and was very impressed with the meal and service. The cake presented unprompted by staff was a great touch. With alcohol, the bill may top £150 for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michelin MarcusAndrewDined on 8/8/2014Wonderful food presented beautifully. The service was impeccable and this was a wonderful dining experience. The dining room was a little too quiet and lacked some personality. Otherwise a five star dining experience.Special Features:
- Outstatnding Evening at MarcusStegzyDined on 8/8/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our evening at Marcus. The food and service was outstanding. Very attentive and helpful staff. Nothing was too much trouble.Special Features:
- FantasticDine4FunDined on 8/8/2014Wonderful food, fantastic wine and service. Was offered to try snails from another dish and I kindly took up their offer. They even gave us a free dessert as me and my partner quabbled over what to get. Overall such a great evening and would highly recommended the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/8/2014I have eaten here a couple of times before it's refurb and have always enjoyed an outstanding meal. However on this occasion there definitely seemed to be a general feeling of 'cutting back' - no amuse bouche, no selection of breads to choose from, no cheese trolley (6 wedges of cheese were presented on a plate) and a fairly miserly allocation of 2 petit fours each. The service was great but at over £150 a head I would expect it to be and at this level I look forward to the extras I don't expect to have in a regular 'nice' restaurant. I'm afraid with so much competition out there I won't be rushing back.Special Features:
- A great London kitchen.TrevigianoVIPDined on 2/8/2014I went with my wife and my daughter and we were completely satisfied on any aspect, a great Restaurant.Special Features:
- An interesting experience .whomeDined on 30/7/2014Despite its revamp it remains a very upscale restaurant with staff that feels most at ease with the upper class. I'm sure many of us plebians do save up to dine here but I felt like the "amazing service" I had heard about was not showered onto me. Delicious food but to the average person I think you can find better (or close) for much much less.Special Features:
- Perfection on a plateTongaVIPDined on 30/7/2014Exceptional is an overrated word and can be misused; but to describe Marcus as ‘exceptional’ is wholly accurate. The new décor is a perfect match for the cuisine and the service, way above average and a real joy the experience. Team Marcus has never let me down, and they are to my mind the best.Special Features:
- Special treatML100Dined on 28/7/2014This was a treat for my husband. We were greeted well & shown to our table which had an overview of the whole restaurant which is beautifully decorated. Choices on menu were varied & interesting. My husband had the pork which I thought looked very fatty but he enjoyed it. We both enjoyed our choices very much. As always in these high end restaurants it is hard to find a wine that is not too expensive. I did not feel comfortable to ask the sommelier for advice. Overall we had a very good evening.Special Features:
- Delectable food, wine and serviceDrMarkVIPDined on 26/7/2014The food was exquisite, the fine wine matched perfectly and the service was spot on as usual.Special Features:
- Great evening, outstanding cuisineRAP1982Dined on 25/7/2014Marcus was a birthday treat for my wife and it did not disappoint. We both had the 8-course tasting menu, which was superb – it builds the pallet up with the starters, culminating in a fantastic poached lamb dish, then brings it back down with a sweet savoury course to finish with some great deserts. We also got a bonus chocolate cake course as we were celebrating. Staff were extremely attentive and would recommend the matching wine if you have not been before. Not cheap, but not that is to be expected given the location, level of service and preparation time and detail that clearly goes into all of the food. Would highly recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great for a Birthday Lunch TreatHutchDined on 24/7/2014Superb location, exquisite food and service. We had the lunch menu for my Wife's birthday which is excellent value but price does jump up with glasses of champagne before meal, wine with meal and we tried a couple of the tasting dishes too. Nice touch with little birthday cake at end. But for a once a year treat you are paying for the overall experience.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 23/7/2014Myself and a couple of friends save all year to treat ourselves to a top London meal out. This was really disappointing, the staff were very friendly but the atmosphere was a little dull. Two of the three mains were not good, the pork was tasteless with crackling that was impossible to eat, and an apple segment that was also rock hard, my friends lamb dish was very fatty and on the small side with nothing else with it bar a smear of green paste. We ordered potatoes which they forgot to bring?at the start of the meal (so didn't charge us) and when it came it was like soup. Puddings were nice but for £85 each before we'd even had a glass of water it was a very disappointing evening.
- Giulia's degreePAOLADined on 14/7/2014I advised them it was a special occasion, my doughter's degree, they offered a delicious chocolate cake with congratulations Giulia! Another person was gluten free and thy immediately provided special bread and explained what she could eat Staff very professional and excellent food We were only a bit disappointed because the dinning room was a bit noisy....Special Features:
- perfectDined on 14/7/2014Very nice restaurant, very accommodating, service prefect and food gorgeous. Nice touch bringing out a little cake for birthday treatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EHLondonDined on 12/7/2014Luxurious dining room, spacious and comfortable. Staff are very friendly and attentive (noticing that you need something before you have to ask). The menu is quite short but gives plenty of choice. Amazing quality ingredients in some unusual combinations, cooked to the highest standards. The only downside from my perspective was that difference in price for the set-menu between 2 and 3 courses seemed disproportionate (£25) and put me off having a third course.Special Features:
- Birthday treatchocolate66Dined on 11/7/2014The food and service was outstanding. We felt very special. great for a special occasion. it was my wife's birthday and they brought her a small cake with a candle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentDouglasPaulDined on 10/7/2014I have been enjoying this restaurant for many years, since it was owned by Gordon Ramsay , and was very excited to try out the restaurant since its recent refurbishment. It was always a very elegant high quality establishment. The dinner I had last week was very disappointing as the ambiance is no longer what it was , the service levels no better than an average gastro pub, the staff were almost rude in not attempting to speak decent English and in general very disappointing. I'm afraid the 200 pounds for a two course meal for two of us , only having with a glass of simple wine was excessiveSpecial Features:
- Best meal ever eatenSaraharley19Dined on 10/7/2014I booked this table for a special anniversary for one of our customers and my boss said that unequivocally it was the best meal he has ever eaten, as did the rest of the party. Not an inexpensive meal, but for the per head value for the food, exceptional. They really felt looked after and the restaurant is sending signed copies of their Chef's Table menu. I had to book and pay a long way in advance, but definitely worthwhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarcusPC101Dined on 7/7/2014Great bar excellent service which did not extend to the restaurant. Was very comfortable relaxed but not as good as I expected.having lived in NY for few years did not compare but food was quite goodI would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat Disappointedfussy1Dined on 7/7/2014Portions were very generous and cooking was accurate but much of the food was too salty. Mentioned this to the staff who didn't charge us for dessert by way of apology - a nice gesture. In fact, the highlight of the evening was the charming and attentive staff - oh, and those moreish tapioca-cheese puffs too! The new 'luxurious-utilitarian' look feels a bit unwelcoming; the brown of the wood panelling quarrels with the brown of the leather banquettes, the small framed pictures do little to relieve the starkness of the decor; attractive pale teal (?) chairs were somewhat overwhelmed by the overall dark, brooding look of the room. We were great fans pre-makeover, less so now taking both food and ambience into account.Special Features: