161-163 Drummond Street
London, NW1 2PBNeighbourhood:
IndianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.massalahut.co.uk/
- Phone: 02073876699
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday : 12.00 noon to 12.00 midnight
Saturday - Sunday: 12pm - 2:30pm and 5pm - 12pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Delivery, Entertainment
A word from Massala Hut
The Massala Hut restaurant - located near London's central Euston station and Regent's Park - has undergone a recent refurbishment, and has become a popular place for business lunches and after-work curries with friends and colleagues. The restaurant's new interior - with Italian tiled floors, chocolate leather seating and pale green walls – is a serene escape from the hustle and bustle, and the fully licensed bar is perfect for pre/post dinner drinks. The Massala Hut is famous for its authentic curries – favourites including the Lamb Rogan Josh, Chicken Korma and Chicken Tikka Massala. The extensive menu features plenty of sharing dishes that are perfect for parties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Massala Hut reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since 25 May 2014
group bookings (17)outstanding value (15)good vegetarian options (11)business meals (10)fit for foodies (8)pre/post theatre (7)child friendly (2)special occasions (2)romance (1)sunday lunch (1)disabled access (1)Show More
- Massala Hut is a winnerTeagirlDined on 13/9/2014This is really great Indian food. Would thoroughly recommend it and would return. Delicious.Special Features:
- Cheap and cheerlessgordanshazVIPDined on 10/9/2014It was the 50% off option that attracted us to Massala Hut. With that it was quite good value but the food was at best very average, and service switched off. There has to be better on Drummond street.
- Good food, Good ambience, but....GourmetseekerDined on 5/9/2014Went to the restaurant because of the 50% off discount, ordered 2 entrees and 2 mains, all quite good. Then I got a call from a friend asking me to take away for her, the restaurant refused to give us discount on the take-away dish, however changed their attitude to 10% discount when we said if no discounts we won't add a dish. The voucher didn't specify take-away is not part of the deal. Considering they will be making more profit regardless, I don't see why they have to do this.
- Just okayChantiDined on 20/8/2014Went there at 5pm on a Wednesday evening. When we arrived we felt like we had interrupted their afternoon rest! As we sat down, we could clearly hear someone sleeping and SNORING downstairs and some of the tables were not cleared and still dirty, i presume from the lunch service. The waiter seemed irritated to be serving us at first but perked up after a while. The only saving grace was the food was very good and tasty, but the service is definitely lacking. We went with the 50% off food, but I don't think I would ever go back and certainly think it is not worth it without the discount. Such a shame, as it has potential but the service REALLY lets this place down.Special Features:
- tothaiforDined on 8/8/2014Service was slow (we thought possibly as it was 50% off food, they were purposely taking ages so we'd order more drinks!), all food was pretty spicy too, even Lamb Rogan Josh which isn't really meant to be. Decent enough deal but quite a walk from Euston/ Warren St, probably wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- A bargain with 50% offHeresWhatIThinkDined on 31/7/2014This branch of Massala Hut reminded me of a fast food environment or Pizza Hut and could do with a refurb. However, the food was very tasty - especially the vegetarian Thali which was more filling than the Mixed Thali. Overall it was a nice, leisurely place to go and eat and chat and really excellent value for money.Special Features:
- jofrostDined on 25/7/2014Nice Indian food on a cold rainy day; portions were generous and the service was attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpensiveYas1234Dined on 13/7/2014I was hoping to get a good discount with the tastecard but as the meals are expensive, it wasn't really value for money. The service was good and the food was mediocre.Special Features:
- Good meal good valueluvlondonDined on 10/7/2014Tasty food starter and main both good. With 50% off would recommend. Didn't rush us when we had finishedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodGovernanceDined on 27/5/2014Always have a great meal here and the menu choice is excellent !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mozzaDined on 15/4/20144 of us booked the 3 courses plus a drink for £15. They gave us the option of having a bottle of wine between us as the drinks option. Service was swift and friendly. The offer stated that the food would be from a set menu- we were expecting a much restricted version of the full a la carte. In fact only 2 of the main courses were excluded. None of us had room for pudding/desert. I would certainly go again with. even at full price, never mind this offer, or even the 50% off food.Special Features:
- Delicious curries - suitably spicyFrettersDined on 3/4/2014Had a really nice time here on a Wednesday night. Started off rather quiet but became busier and more buzzy later on. I'd definitely come here again - I really like a Madras-heat curry and found the Jalfrezi and Achari particularly delicious.Special Features:
- Fabulous fresh food, helpful staffSalBDined on 11/3/2014A very enjoyable time for our post-team meeting meal, nothing was too much trouble. Great value with 50% off food & drinks we saved £170 for 10 of us!Special Features:
- Great deal with top tableLibby5Dined on 6/2/2014Very quick staff, 50% discount with top table off of a starter and main each Food good fresh and warmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's OKtastymorselDined on 23/1/2014This was overall OK. The salmon tikka starter was disappointing in size and quality. The main dishes were fairly tasty but a bit too oily for my liking; the naan bread tasted nice and fresh. As Indian restaurant food goes it's alright, but nothing to rock your world. We used the 50% off deal through toptable. I felt the price we paid was worth it. Had we paid full price I would have been disappointed.Special Features:
- Not the bestHazieDined on 22/1/2014We were shown to our table straight away We were given some tatty menus and after a while we ordered drinks. The food order was taken and we had to wait for 45 mins to get the starter. We ordered the 1/2 tandoori chicken each as per the menu but when it arrived it was 1/4 portion with lettuce and sauce. We waited ages for the main course.When it arrived the waiter had no clue what he had brought. My dish was duck which we found but it was supposed to come with a naan bread which never arrived despite my requests. Even with the half price offer I'd say this really wasn't one of our better choices. The service was rubbish, the food not really any good and the overall experience wasn't very pleasant.
- Cheap and cheerfulRHitchVIPDined on 13/12/2013With the top table offer this represents good value, the staff are friendly and the service was prompt. The food was ok but for me nothing special and I think I'd rather pay a bit more and go somewhere with a nicer ambience and better food.Special Features:
- good value and tastyEdinpommeDined on 12/12/2013we had a good variety of dishes here, and would particularly recommend the restaurant specials. Very good value for a meal out in LondonSpecial Features:
- Not up to standardTR24Dined on 7/12/2013Service was slow. Food was not up to usual standard. Beer wasn't cold enough. Bill was wrong when presented - Toptable discount was not included - but it was corrected without fuss.
- Good valueLouiseDined on 7/12/2013Very good value with the 50% off. The food was fine for the money but pretty average. Would go again but only with Toptable deal. Staff were niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two of us went here on a FridaysimscotDined on 29/11/2013Two of us went here on a Friday evening and both had the meat thali, plus 2 side dishes (tarka dal and muttar paneer). The lamb with spinach was nice but other dishes lacked interest; also I think the combination of dishes in the thali are unimaginative - for instance, two dry dishes (chicken tikka and chicken tikka + 'kebab') was a bit too much - I would have preferred a dal or veg dish included instead. We used a 50%-off deal so didn't feel too bothered but for the full price you could get much better Indian food elsewhere. Overall dishes were a little bland - I don't mean lacking in heat but just general spice or seasoning....just a bit average. Also for me the restaurant didn't have much character lacked atmosphere.
- Table of 9 well looked afterAdrianLDined on 27/11/2013An after work do was good value with the 50% offer. Quite busy for a Thursday evening made for a good atmosphere. All the usual fayre, well cooked and probably slightly better than your average Indian restaurant. Despite the fact we were a crowd, service was cheerful and reasonably prompt. Would go again with the 50% deal - probably a bit pricy otherwise.Special Features:
- Saturday evening diningmadspiderDined on 2/11/2013Met some school friends here for a small reunion. The extensive menu had the standard set of options. The starters were of a decent size for the five of us (all men). Our main courses were brought out in good time, though the place wasn't that busy. Tasted a cut above a number of Indian restaurants I've been to before. Of particular note were the 3 Thali options on the menu - great combinations of a number of dishes, which were done as well as the chain Masala Zone does. Service was fine. We'd come back (but there are loads of curry places to try on Drummond Street!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We attended on a special offer.ChilliLoverDined on 2/11/2013We attended on a special offer. The service was good and the food was plentiful and very tasty and I should know as my mum has set the bar high with her homemade curries. My husband who rarely eats anything spicier than a twiglet, really enjoyed the tandoori mixed grill and as the portions were big and there was so much left over the staff kindly gave us a doggy bag. The restaurant is conveniently close to Warren Street tube station, although at the moment there are road works on Drummond Street so if you are travelling by car, it is wise to check the parking situation beforehand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor servicejhgdawDined on 31/10/2013Food was ok - nothing special however soured by unfriendly service. This was added to by the fact I left an umbrella there, called 15 minutes later to check they had it and that I would pick it up a couple of days later. When I then called just before picking it up, they had lost it. In a market of curry houses that is saturated, this won't do.Special Features:
- Not very child friendlyFroggyDined on 28/10/2013Overall the food was good as long as you like spicy food but it took over 45 minutes for the food to come which is not the best when you have a group of ravenous kids. When the food turn up the king prawn Tika which was ordered for one of the children as a mild option ended up full of chillies and she could not eat any. The waiter also seem annoyed at having children around Probably not the right restaurant for a family
- We dined here for lunch andpeachesVIPDined on 24/10/2013We dined here for lunch and found the service indifferent and the food not very good value.
- family dinnerLouiseDined on 13/10/2013good value family dinner. standard indian restaurant food with a large menu. Some of the dishes were excellent, some a little bit oily and bland but overall a really good meal especially with the 50% off. Staff were very nice and attentive for the majority of the night. Would definitely go back with the toptable offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- massala hut early eveningcol35VIPDined on 2/10/2013A very pleasant meal - nothing special but very well prepared and tasty indian food - will definitely return for the same 50% deal
- Great Customer ServiceTillyFoodieDined on 1/10/2013Went to Masala Hut on a Tuesday and so was among 1/4 tables. The food was great as both me and a friend ordered food from the chefs specials. Meal came to £30 after the 50% off order and this included more than enough good. Two curry dishes, two rice dishes, 2 naan bread, wine and soft drink! (Greedy eyes small stomachs sadly). All the staff are incredible friendly and can't do enough for you! Was even given two lovely shots after the food took a little longer than expected (an extra 5 mins).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting & variedGarethpjDined on 28/9/2013Plenty of vegetarian options, copious choices in meat & fish too, well balanced and properly spicedSpecial Features:
- I went here with some mates.AndyDined on 24/9/2013I went here with some mates. Food was good and the price was pretty fair. A little pushy on trying to tell us to order sides etc, and removed a table without asking us because one of our friends was late.Special Features:
- The following 257 reviews are from the Massala Hut reviews archive.
- Pre football dinnerMarkieDined on 6/9/2013Food and service were good. It would have been very expensive without the 50% off food and drink offer.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value with the 50% offerBiddyVIPDined on 10/8/2013Really enjoyed our meal at the Massala Hut. The food was very good particularly the tandoori chicken which was the best we've eaten in London. The service was friendly and efficient and with the 50% offer on the food it was excellent value.I would recommend this to a friend.
- overalltrenchermanDined on 1/8/2013Overall, was slightly dissappointed, good location friendly staff, but food not as I would have liked. But then again that is a personal thing I suppose. Try it for yourself.Special Features:
- service was very poorRunaDined on 25/7/2013It wasn't an expensive dinner as I used the 50% offer, however the food was very average. The service was very very poor. because as soon as we arrived and sat down they moved us to another smaller table, the waiter was unattentive and felt like they were rushing us with ordering.Special Features:
- Good food and valueKennyDined on 17/7/2013Visited on a Top Table deal. The food was tasty and value for money. The staff were friendly.
- great food!alwayshungryDined on 8/7/2013the food was excellent, really well flavoured and good sized portions. the meat was very tender. Service was excellent, staff were very friendly. Definitely would go back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very good deal for a Sat nightSianFish2Dined on 22/6/2013Don't be put off by the outside face of this restaurant. The food quality is good and care is taken when it is cooked so it's a high standard. The lamb shank curry was amazing. We got 50 % off on a sat night which meant we paid £22 a head for 2 courses and alcohol - on a sat night! Outstanding value. Staff were v friendly too.Special Features:
- Authentic Indian FoodscottishruthDined on 4/6/2013When I arrived, my dad and I were two of about 5 diners in the restaurant at around 7pm, so I can't really comment on the ambience. It did get much more busy towards 8/9pm. The food was really good, authentic Indian food without being overpriced. The waiters were kind and attentive, and humoured my dad who spent many years in the Middle East, so thinks he's a bit of an Indian food Connoisseur! I thought the value was really good and I'm really glad to have found such a nice, down to earth Indian restaurant that serves quality food. It's ideal for an informal meet up over a few Cobras!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.