19 Anyards Road
Cobham, KT11 2LWNeighbourhood:
IndianPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.massalacobham.com/
- Phone: 01932865005
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily: 12pm - 2:30pm; 5pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Massala
An award winning Indian restaurant in the attractive Surrey village of Cobham, Massala boasts a Michelin acclaimed head chef in the shape of Ravi Deulkar. Ravi’s passion lies in developing food that harnesses the vitality and healing power of the ingredients used, in accordance with the ancient principles of Ayurvedic medicine. Thus all produce used in Massala’s cuisine is locally sourced and natural, everything produced absolutely fresh to order. At Massala meats, fish, bread and other foods are cooked in a clay tandoor, imparting a unique and authentic taste to every order, particularly to the restaurant’s trademark fish and seafood dishes. A five star wine list has been created by Maria Rodriguez, previously of Gordon Ramsay’s Claridges and Bluebird, ensuring there’s a wine to suit your meal whatever your tastes. Exemplary service is central to Massala too, ensuring a perfect visit every time.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Massala - Best restaurants in Cobham ›
Massala reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since 21 October 2013
special occasions (17)business meals (10)fit for foodies (10)good vegetarian options (9)romance (9)group bookings (9)disabled access (4)outstanding value (4)child friendly (3)pre/post theatre (2)brunch (1)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- Excellent food as alwaysEsherregularDined on 4/10/2014I find service can be a little hit or miss at Massala. This time around it was good, previous occasions, not so good. The location of the restaurant doesn't give it a lot of kerb appeal - in a small parade nect to a dry cleaners and a chip shop and opposite a small car park, but once inside it's a nice (if a little narrow), upmarket Indian restaurant with a very pleasant decor and friendly staff. The location and variable service 'issues' could work against the restaurant and make it a 'once only' affair but in truth it's the food that saves the day. The food is always excellent, the choice is great and the flavour are fantastic. I love Indian food and this place ranks in my top 3 all-time Indian restaurants. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Very good restaurantyoungcoupleDined on 15/9/2014We were in Cobham for just two nights and fancied indian meal, we picked Masala based on review on google & Toptable. We had starter and mains and both were absolutely delicious. The food was sizzling hot with lots of vegetable added to the meal, and the portions were very generous. I will recommend Masala to anyone and will definitely go back when I do go back to Cobham.Special Features:
- Ok, but emptySootyDined on 14/9/2014Ok, it was a Sunday night, but at 7:30pm I expected there to be at least someone else eating in the restaurant. There wasn't. Food was ok, but nothing special. The most memorable thing was the price of the drinks. I had 2 small bottles of diet coke and they charged me just under £6. That made a reasonably priced meal an expensive one, at least for what it was.
- MasalaRobertDined on 13/9/2014Our first visit to Masala and we were very pleased with everything. The service was very attentive, the food tasted great, and the value was good. We will definitely go back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- MariDined on 14/8/2014The food is absolutely fantastic and the service excellent. Well worth a visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Returning CustomersCurryMasterDined on 7/8/2014We often like to dine here for special occasions (birthdays, wedding anniversary etc..). The food is always outstanding - definitely a cut above the average curry house! This is Indian fine dining at it's best. The service is always quick and the staff friendly and good humoured. We are always pleased to come back. The only criticism is that there could be more vegetarian options on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth the trip!ChasDined on 12/7/2014Last year we stumbled across this delight by accident. We enjoyed the fresh tasting food and vibrant flavours so much that we made a 150 mile round trip for a repeat visit. We were not disappointed, the food was superb, subtle flavours not overpowered by heat. The service was attentive, friendly and welcoming. How could it be improved? Probably on the dessert offering but let's be honest who goes to an Indian restaurant for a dessert? Well done to the owner and his team as they exceeded our expectations once more.Special Features:
- Excellent qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Try the black lentils, love it. All food great and presentation beautifulSpecial Features:
- Best Curry Restaurant?PBaronDined on 25/5/2014Went for my first visit on a Saturday evening with my wife. Have just moved to Cobham and trying all pubs and restaurants out. This was is listed as third best in England or something. 8pm and we were 2nd table until unusual group of 12 came in. Service was very good, food was excellent and we left a little because we were full. £62.10 bought us 3 large beers, 2 meals with trimmings, 1 coffee, 1 Irish coffee, 1 dessert. The owner introduced himself and made sure we were happy as we left. We shall return.....soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 14/5/2014Really like the ambience and the food is really fantastic.. Only slight challenge was parking needed to park a few streets away and walkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable MealBuntyBooDined on 22/3/2014In our hunt for good Indian food we thought we would give the Massala a try. A 35 mile round trip has to be worth it, and on the whole the Massala was good. My prawn starter was excellent, but I was disappointed that there were no particular specialities of the restaurant on the menu. Overall the service was good, although the bill was probably slightly higher than usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MixedFoodieDined on 22/2/2014Good food but service was a bit slow. Wine was on the expensive side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 starsMrTerryDined on 22/2/2014Amazing good, perfectly cooked! My guest and myself enjoyed dining at Massala. I will be back with my family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most excellent curry !!CurryloverDined on 15/2/2014This was by far THE most delicious Indian meal - all dishes beautifully presented and in modern white dishes, in a lovely warm but modern smart/casual setting, and with very reasonable prices in line with other curry houses. Fabulous. I will definitely revisit and highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went along with friends forNinaDined on 15/2/2014Went along with friends for my husbands birthday. Food was very good and the menu was perfect well laid out with the right amount of options (large menus can sometimes be off putting). The staff were very polite and helpful, be it, a lack of them, a full restaurant with just two waiters who seemed to be run off there feet. We had to wait a while for our main course, not a big problem as we were in no rush. Would recommend to friends and will certainley be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines mealScouser63Dined on 14/2/2014Much improved menu range and value for money. Just need to sort out service. 20 mins wait for drinks and lost order; 45 mins wait for starters only when chased; difficult to get waiter's attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why change?sunseekerDined on 8/2/2014Not all change is for the better. The new ownership have employed a new chef and, sadly, the food has not kept up with the usual taste and quality. Sad. Revert to the past and the reviews will improve.
- We had a lovely meal, beautifullyGillersDined on 7/2/2014We had a lovely meal, beautifully presented. Service was suberb too , Gill MurraySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food at a very reasonablecasssDined on 31/1/2014Lovely food at a very reasonable price. Service was quite prompt and friendly.
- Best Indian food outside LondonsunseekerDined on 24/1/2014Always a pleasant experience. Food is fresh and very well prepared. Service can be indifferent sometimes, but overall an excellent Indian food restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good placeMarkgDined on 15/1/2014Sunil and his team have once again given a great service with great food and a great atmosphere. Thanks guysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BIRTHDAY TREATBOOZEYDined on 12/1/2014VERY GOOD FOOD, WAITER WAS VERY ATTENTIVE BUT NOT OVERLY ALWAYS AROUND WHICH IS GOOD, WELCOMING AND THE LOBSTER I HAD WAS LOVELY THE FIRST TIME I HAD SEEN IT ON A MENU AND WOULD DEFINTELY COME BACK FOR MORE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch the fnal billOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Very disappointed we eat out regulalry and had eaten at Massala in the week and had an enjoyable meal. We booked a table and took friends the following Saturday, the food was poor the service was poor and we were overcharged £40 for wine which fortunately we noticed and it was removed from the bill. Having booked a table we found ourselves in the middle of the resturant which was uncomfortable and there was nicer tables free.
- Outstanding restaurantJonPDined on 31/12/2013Deserves it's rating as 3rd best curry house in Britain. Food was superb, service was friendly, helpful and spot on. We had the taster menu, starters were excellent, main dishes were all very good but the monkfish and lamb particularly outstanding. I wasn't sure about having some wine as the strong flavours usually subdue the wine but the delightful argentinian Malbec went exceedingly well with the food. We will definitely be coming back and I'll be bringing friends.Special Features:
- Great Indian restaurant.ElboDined on 23/12/2013Massala served up one the best indian meals we have had in a longtime, The menu has a great choice and the food tasted fresh and wonderful. We would definitely eat here again.Special Features:
- Excellent food - awful serviceAidyDined on 9/11/2013I went for my birthday celebrations with 7 family members/friends on Saturday evening. It took the staff 45 minutes to take our order and it was 80 mins before we had our starter, after numerous attempts to encourage them. Totally unacceptable. However, when the food did eventually arrive it was all delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third Best Indian Restaurant ??????Zima567VIPDined on 2/11/2013Very disappointing service . We waited 1 hour 30 min for the starters to arrive after complaining to the waitor. He suggested to bring starters and main course at the same time ! When my Anjeeri Battakh ( Barbary duck breast served pink with spicy tamarind and fig gravy ) arrived the duck was cold as if it was just from the fridge. I sent it back . Just a minute later the same plate was served after beeing warmed in the microwave. This time the breast wasn't pink any more , but chewy and dry. The gravy was extremely hot in temperature. We will not go to this restaurant again.
- Great Indian FoodTARADined on 28/10/2013There is only one word for this restaurant: "THE BEST" That is if you like the Indian Food. Tara PunjabiSpecial Features:
- The following 50 reviews are from the Massala reviews archive.
- Wow- how lucky were we?ChasDined on 28/9/2013Being in the area , just for the weekend with friends, we decided we would seek out a curry house. Thanks to the Top Table app and a little luck, I booked a table for the Saturday night. On arrival the restaurant was full, thank goodness we booked. The staff welcomed us in a professional way. There was more than an adequate choice of fairly priced drinks. Then came the menu. Wow, what a refreshing change. A selection of interesting, exciting flavours. Each dish was generous in its size and well presented. As for the flavours, amazing and they were a talking point for the rest of the weekend. If only we lived closer, we would visit more frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- real Indian foodrogerDined on 24/8/2013For those wanting to try proper indian food, freshly prepared and cooked from fresh seasonal ingredients. Expect to pay english restaurant prices (c£30 per head, plus booze), not "indian" ones, but expect also much better food! Dreary beer choice, but some interesting wines at wide range of prices; would recommend the lassi. Large portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but expensiveCurryClubFanDined on 2/8/2013We thought we would try this restaurant after a very high rating in the Good Curry Guide 2013. The quality and quantity of food could not be faltered. However for a Friday evening the restaurant was virtually empty, and it is not surprising why - it is far too expensive. We ordered a couple of bottles of House White wine, which we later found cost £28 each.Special Features:
- A happy couple!CurryMasterDined on 26/6/2013We tried this restaurant for the first time for a wedding anniversary dinner and were very pleasantly surprised. The food was absolutely outstanding, the service prompt and efficient and the staff were very keen to look after us. Overall the standard was way above anything else we had found in the area and we will certainly be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Restaurant for oneSurbubanDinerDined on 23/6/2013Food was good, but when you are the only table on a Sunday night then ambience is of course very poor. I would have considered going back (for the food) but unfortunately the service did not make up for the lack of ambience. Very off hand and it felt a little like we were an annoyance rather than a customer. Shame - as I'm sure on a Saturday night the experience would be very different.
- Had a lovely evening withTinaDined on 23/5/2013Had a lovely evening with friends enjoying some quality Indian dishes. It's not an extensive menu but they execute it well.Special Features:
- Great foodWishuwellDined on 24/3/2013The food is excellent and waiters very friendly. We have eaten here on several occasions and enjoyed it each time The menu is varied and interestingSpecial Features:
- The food was excellent, andcurryLoverDined on 28/1/2013The food was excellent, and our experience was aided by the well timed appearance of the Chef, who helped with our choices, whilst taking our order. He then returned at the end of the meal to check that we were happy, which we were.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surrey's Indian SecretsunseekerDined on 26/1/2013Excellent Indian regional foods prepared with fresh ingredients. The restaurant is light and tables set well apart. Facilities are very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food let down by slow servicedmthomasDined on 15/1/2013We had an early dinner & restaurant was empty, yet the meal took over 2hrs because of slow service. Starters took an age & it took 35mins to get the bill. The food itself was flavoursome, although the monkfish didn't have the meaty texture I was expecting. Be prepared for eye-watering cost. We were 2 adults & 2 children & each had 2 basic drinks, a starter and main, sharing 2 x rice, 2 x naan & a side dish - a standard size meal. Yet the bill was over £100. £25 a head without dessert AFTER the 50% toptable discount had been applied to the starters and main courses. Frankly, the food is not that superior to other indian restaurants in the area to warrant such a price premium, especially given the speed of service. We'll not be returning.
- Great food, shame about the serviceSarahDined on 2/1/2013Food tasty and of good quality. Unfortunately, the experience is dampened significantly by the attitudes and general courtesty of the staff. In addition to this, they added extra stipulations to the 50% offer which was not on the website. Rather that having our evening ruined by showing them the website - we gave in and paid full price. Such as shame - as has so much potential in terms of the food they are serving. Would not go back owing to the way the staff made us feel.
- Group dinner at MassalaSteveVIPDined on 9/11/2012Took a small reunion of 13 people to Massal last Friday night. Food was excellent, service attentive and good humoured and while pricier than a regular curry (£30 per head including drinks) it was well worth it.Special Features: