Maxim Chinese Restaurant
153 - 155 Northfield Avenue
London, W13 9QTNeighbourhood:
ChinesePrice: £25 and under
Maxim Chinese Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxim-ealing.co.uk/
- Phone: 02085671719x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday 6pm - 11pm
Monday - Saturday: 12pm - 2:30pm & 6pm - 11pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Maxim Chinese Restaurant
It’s a good sign when a restaurant is always busy, and Maxim in Ealing is bustling most nights. This long-established restaurant in Ealing is known affectionately by its customers as “Mrs Chow’s” in homage to the lady in charge of the cooking, who believes in using fresh, natural ingredients. Feeling adventurous? Swap sesame prawn toast for “shredded jellyfish with three delicacies” or “frog’s leg in black bean sauce”. If not, don’t worry – you’ll do just as well with traditional starters like satay chicken or sweet-and-sour won ton. Follow with aromatic duck, a classic of its kind with crisp golden skin and tender meat, or push the boat out with a whole lobster, halved and served with ginger and spring onion sauce. Side dishes like glossy, crispy green beans are equally good. Finish with deep-fried banana and apple, the crunchy coating giving way to soft, fluffy fruit.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Maxim Chinese Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since 22 October 2013
special occasions (22)group bookings (17)romance (12)fit for foodies (11)child friendly (9)business meals (8)good vegetarian options (7)disabled access (5)outstanding value (3)brunch (2)sunday lunch (2)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- Fabulous Chinese food311065Dined on 6/9/2014We've now been visiting this restaurant for the last four years... mostly for occasions, but lately we have been going just to get away and enjoy a quiet meal. Food is great, fresh and delicious. Seabass is absolutely wonderful. Service and atmosphere are great. The waiting staff are attentive as is the Manager... I like him.. he's always ensuring that he says hello to his regulars and just generally ensuring that we are having a good time !... it's a personal experience and I love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive as alwaysAB2uDined on 9/8/2014Love the friendly, efficient and attentive service here. Nothing is too much bother. Excellent night outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deeply disappointedCavyVIPDined on 27/7/2014We have been going to Maxims for years and always loved it. Sadly all has changed. None of the usual waiters were evident and the service has definitely taken a turn for the worse - Perrier water put into hot sake heater not a nice bucket; hard to get attention for service. The food is still good, but the prices are now ridiculous - they must have increased by 25% minimum since we went there last 3 or 4 months ago - well over £200 for 5 of us. There is a lot of competition in the area and we will be voting with our feet! We questioned the prices with one of the suited (presumably head) waiters - he shrugged his shoulders and blamed the management!
- Best Crispy Shredded Beef Ever!AdamDined on 16/7/2014Excellent Chinese food. Forgot the greasy take away and go here for a posh dinner. Awesome.
- Always goodMrsSVIPDined on 11/7/2014Another trip to Maxim and as usual the food is good.. Better service this time than usual for a Friday night as they weren't as busy and seem to have new staff who were excellent. Menu is the same for as long as we have been going there (6 years) which is nice but would be good to see some new options.Special Features:
- Good as alwaysTeePeeDined on 3/6/2014A good meal for my son's birthday. A Tuesday night but busy in Maxim's as always. Reliable, good quality food and attentive service.Special Features:
- Early evening weekend dinnerGraviaVIPDined on 10/5/2014We had an early dinner with our two kids. Food is always fresh. The service is attentive. Keep space for the banana fritters. It's on the expensive side so we only go for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Service and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 2/5/2014Title says it all! ..................... Food was wonderful and service was great.Special Features:
- MaximsMunchbunchDined on 30/3/2014A busy but very good Chinese restaurant. Stumbled upon it when regular place was shut and have not looked back. Not cheap and seems prices have creeped up over last year or so. Crispy Beef standout dish. Duck always good also. Cabernet on wine list complemented meal very well. Service always good, waiters/management very friendly.Special Features:
- Can't cope when they're fullMaximsfanDined on 30/3/2014I have loved Maxim for years. As always, their food was fantastic - brilliantly cooked and seasoned, and a wonderful combination. As always, it was not cheap. We went on Mothers' Day and the restaurant was completely full, and I'm afraid they sacrificed quality of service. Table was too small. One dish was forgotten - they eventually gave it to us for free, but I'd rather have been honestly told they'd forgotten it. They placed the white wine in a bucket (excellent!) just out of the reach of the obviously frailest member of our party, and then did not pour it for us. If you don't have time to pour it, put it in our reach! Starter was cleared before we'd finished. Don't go to Maxim on Mothers' Day: they can't cope when they're full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely High Quality ChineseAdamDined on 21/3/20147 of us went for a birthday meal. We ordered set menus for 6 which was enough to feed 9 people comfotably. Great dishes.
- Too busy to cope?MrsSVIPDined on 22/2/2014I love Maxim but everytime I go on a Saturday night I am disappointed with the service.. it can be painfully slow and abrupt at times. But the food is great and we'll keep going back.. maybe on a week night in future.Special Features:
- Great food, service and atmosphereWR31Dined on 15/2/2014I booked a table on the Saturday morning for 8pm that evening for 12. It was relatively short notice for such a large group but the restaurant managed to accomodate us. Having been to Maxim's quite a few times in the past, we knew what to expect and as usual, they didn't disappoint. The food here has always been excellent, it is a little on the pricey side but the portions are generous and worth it for the quality and flavour. Someone in our group also let our waiter know that it was my birthday so he bought over toffee apples with ice cream (if I remember rightly) with a candle and sang happy birthday to me. A great touch which really topped off the evening. Would always happily recommend Maxim's to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedTyrelleDined on 14/2/2014The prices were ridiculous,they overcharged me by £10.00 & when asked they didnt answer,they cant speak or understand english properly,i dont recommend this overpriced restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Excellent!SmilisDined on 14/2/2014Had a celebratory meal at Maxim's. We had a set menu and everything was beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice foodVikiDined on 7/2/2014The food was very good, the staff were friendly. Would recommend the restaurant to friends and happy to go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Chinese New Year dinnerFunkyMummyVIPDined on 31/1/2014Fantastic food again at Maxims and while the service was a little slower than normal, to be fair the restaurant was packed and the staff had to work around the New Year Dragon! Terriffic night!Special Features:
- Oh dearelliemaybelleDined on 30/1/2014Four of us visited on the evening of Chinese New Year, I expected something special to be happening in the restaurant but there was no special menu or anything to be honest. Service was very good, our waiter was funny and made up in a little way for the food. We had the platter starter, prawn toasts were nice, the ribs were dry, the spring rolls were greasy and the chicken satay was tough. For main the duck was dry, the sweet and sour chicken which was inedible, the noodles were nice but the rice was soggy. Bill was £130 with one drink each, one being a soft drink, so as you can imagine we will not be back, I have had better food from my local takeaway to be honest, the ambience is good and the decor is nice, they just need a new chef.
- Good night outrssealingDined on 4/1/2014Good night out; good food and lots of other diners providing a good atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, even better serviceNehaDined on 28/12/2013Went for birthday dinner. First time at Maxim's, so impressed. Waiters were so personable and friendly. Didn't feel like we were being rushed with our food. Food came in a timely fashion and everything was delicious. Personal recommendations: crispy chilli beef or the sea bass. Highly recommend this place. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect place for foodiesFoodiefromealingDined on 28/12/2013Maxims is the best Chinese restaurant in west London. Four of us went for dinner and we had the set banquet meal as we were hungry and it looked like a great menu. We weren't disappointed, the starters were delicious ,ribs, prawn toast, seaweed, satay and a cold salad with a wonderful mustard sauce. The mains were equally good, crispy duck and pancakes followed by chillie beef, lamb and chicken. What's particularly good is that the food is very fresh and the taste and quality of the main ingredients shines through. There's a reasonable wine list for those with discerning palettes and the house wines are good too. We polished off the meal with apple fritters - all very delicious . Its a good night out and we will be going again soon.
- birthday celebrationBlondy4Dined on 19/12/2013we picked a set menu which was ok. This restaurant's food is normally great but I feel that we should have picked things individually as I was not that happy and and it was not cheap picking the set menu.Special Features:
- The restaurant was busy andMez97Dined on 30/11/2013The restaurant was busy and quite noisy for a Saturday night. We both shared deep fried squid, prawn and pork Wraparound lettuce which was tasty. We then had crispy duck, which was delicious. We also had special fried noodles; size of the big prawns, chicken and pork were large (take away ones are usually small). We also had lamb slices with spring onion (sizzler) with egg fried rice, which was wonderfully tasty. All washed down with a couple of chinese beers, and a cold bottle of Pinot Grigio. We didn't have any dessert as we were both full up. Service was relatively efficient. Would definitely recommend Maxims, probably best to book a table, as it does get very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maxim Restaurant, NorthfieldsHappyeaterDined on 30/11/2013We went to Maxim Restaurant in Northfields as a group of 9 on a Saturday evening. The restaurant was very busy and the atmosphere was buzzy. The food was delicious and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Nice Restaurant and serviceWestLondonDined on 26/10/2013Nice Restaurant and service was very quick, but I felt rushed and pressured into what to order. When I wanted to order a sea bass dish I was told it will take 20mins which i said I was happy to wait for. But the waiter said i should order something else as it will be quicker! he was quite aggressive which I didn't like and only when I challenged him did he agree to take the order sea bass, as people at other tables where looking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went to Maxim with thetcupDined on 25/10/2013We went to Maxim with the family for my Mum's Birthday and had a really lovely time there. The manager greeted us and showed us to our table & made us feel very welcome. We ordered a range of dishes, including the mixed starters, crispy duck, special fried noodles and a variety of dishes to have with rice, including the aubergine and sweet and sour fish. It was all delicious and the service we received was very friendly, attentive and completely seamless even though we were served by around 4 or 5 different waiters. The ambience was great too, with traditional chinese decor and the tables complete with a lazy susan, which was really useful! Overall, it was a fantastic experience & we look forward to visiting again really soon!Special Features:
- The following 339 reviews are from the Maxim Chinese Restaurant reviews archive.
- nice experiencefoodieDined on 18/10/2013The food and staff are always first class and make you extreme,y welcomeSpecial Features:
- Great as alwaysMrsSVIPDined on 11/10/2013Always get good food and prompt service. Could do with updating the menu a little bit.. it hasn't changed in the last 5 years I have been going there. Then again maybe best not to change a winning formula.Special Features:
- As good as it gets!AandBDined on 6/10/2013A warm comforting part of China in Ealing and without fail eating here is a delight. We've been around the world a few times but Maxim's is always worth coming home to. A&BSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not child friendly7littleangelsDined on 4/10/2013Great for grownups, but little patience displayed with children, which was disappointing.Special Features:
- OutstandingSnarskisTomasDined on 22/9/2013You wanna enjoy good time at the restaurant with your friends, family or other half choose this place. Great food and service! We love this place and people who work here! All our friends are amazed that Northfields has such a great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 21st September eveing dinner for 10DonaldDined on 21/9/2013We enjoyed the birthday party very much. Your service was very good and so was the food. We shall definitely come again Donald BerrySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have gone to Maxim's just7littleangelsDined on 14/9/2013We have gone to Maxim's just to go out for a meal or for special occasions over many years and they have never let us down. The service is excellent and the food is sublime. 'Nuff said!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice but a little loudkishDined on 7/9/2013We booked a table last minute and hen we got there the restuarant was very busy, which was great, but it meant that it was extremely noisy in the restaurant. I think that was mainly due to the fact that the tables were slight close together. Other than the noise level, service and food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to visit again...RebeccaDined on 6/9/2013My partner and I live locally to Maxim however this was the first time I've visited the restaurant. The restaurant itself is gorgeous and I love the atmosphere and how it all looks. The service is excellant and despite being in a very luxurious setting they make you feel comfortable and at home immediately. The food was amazing and the portion sizes are very generous (we ended up having to take some home with us as we couldn't finish what we ordered!) We will definitely be visiting again and looking forward to trying all the dishes on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ever so niceCavyVIPDined on 1/9/2013Food always up to scratch. Best Chinese in the area and there is plenty of competition. Great choice and prompt service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maxim restaurantMarFerVIPDined on 15/8/2013As usual great hospitality. Food was good. Great local restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local ChineseMarFerVIPDined on 16/6/2013Maxims is a lovely restaurant in Northfields - food is good here and the team look after youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic local, great foodse249Dined on 15/6/2013Fantastic local restaurant. Great food and atmosphere. One of the best local Chinese restaurants I've been too in a long time.Special Features:
- Nice as always!! Food is greatVictorDined on 14/6/2013Nice as always!! Food is great and ambience as well but don't expect an attentive service because you wont find it at Maxim's. After 5 or 6 visits I have realised that this is part of your dining experience so chill out and enjoy the best chinese food in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.