19 - 21 Monmouth Street
London, WC2H 9DDNeighborhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.monplaisir.co.uk/
- Phone: 02078367243
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Sat: Lunch: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, Brasserie: 2:30pm - 5:45pm, Dinner: 5:45pm - 11:30pm.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Gluten-free Menu, Wine
A word from Mon Plaisir
For more than half a century, a little piece of the capital has been proudly French too - Mon Plaisir restaurant on Covent Garden’s Monmouth Street is famous as London’s longest-serving French restaurant. Is it romantic? Well, dozens, maybe hundreds, of marriage proposals have taken place here as well as countless first dates, third dates and anniversary celebrations. Acquired by the Viala brothers in the 1940s, Mon Plaisir has gone from strength to strength, entertaining a who’s who of London society with its uniquely French charm. Four rooms with different looks make up Mon Plaisir – from the main dining room, unchanged since the 40’s, to the lounge with its pewter-topped bar rescued from a Lyonnais brothel. From the utterly traditional, to the conceptual and modern, Mon Plaisir restaurant’s French menu explores in depth France’s world-famous cuisine with a panache more often seen on the streets of Paris.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mon Plaisir reviews from OpenTable diners
378 reviews since 5 May 2014
pre/post theatre (232)special occasions (142)fit for foodies (119)romance (115)business meals (107)outstanding value (76)group bookings (33)sunday lunch (22)brunch (15)good vegetarian options (9)child friendly (8)outdoor eating (5)afternoon tea (5)disabled access (1)Show More
- wonderfulwonderbarbalham00000Dined on 30/8/2014lovely intimate restaurant with discreet but attentive waiting staff, gorgeous foodSpecial Features:
- Always a treatLovedUpDined on 28/8/2014Delicious French food, lots of interesting artwork around the place and great service. All the classics on the a la carte menu, the set menu is good value and has a well balanced selection of dishes. Wish I had saved room for pudding as the options sounded delicious! I'm sure (I hope!) we'll be back before too long.Special Features:
- Expensive French treatOldDinerDined on 21/8/2014Mon Plaisir is still the real French thing, at a price. Starters (overpriced) and mains of high order, puddings less so. Meal for two was £130+. Great atmosphere, with lots of nooks and crannies for romantics. Mind your head. French staff, but friendly and helpful. Wine very overpriced, but the red we had (£36) was absolutely first-rate. Kir Mur a bit 'weak'. Reserve this place for special occasions, or have the pre-theatre, prix-fixe menu which is better value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice pre-theatre dinnerJCB19Dined on 20/8/2014Closest to a French restaurant outside France. Good value pre-theatre menu though drinks are quite pricy. Portions not huge but enough. Good service.Special Features:
- A little disappointedPalace01Dined on 20/8/2014We were three friends out for lunch, service good ambience good We had the lunch menu and found the portions very small our main course. Was calves liver Two very small pieces and a little very nice mash potatoes no veg at all Would return to try thr ala carte menuSpecial Features:
- ExcellentThe54sDined on 18/8/2014Excellent as always. My groups twice yearly visits are always looked forward to, and enjoyed.Special Features:
- LovelyNMC52Dined on 14/8/2014I go there when I want to feel good! Good food, nice place, amazing ambience... what else can you ask?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old French favouriteLinnieBeeDined on 14/8/2014Treated a friend to birthday lunch at this well established French favourite on 14th August. Food impeccable and delicious. Attentive, but not overbearing, service. We ate from the Carte but, for a somewhat less expensive treat, try their daily lunch menu or Menu of the Month. Very acceptable wines by the glass, carafe of 50cl, or bottle. The experience was made all the more pleasurable by the helpful waiter and lady Maitre D' who, on learning we were visiting Paris later in the year, offered recommendations for eateries in Montmartre and Montparnasse. A thoroughly enjoyable lunchtime on the fringes of Covent Garden.Special Features:
- BucksVIPDined on 12/8/2014Haven't been here for a few months but it is still a good place to have an enjoyable lunch. WC
- Exceptional valueMaggicVIPDined on 7/8/2014Our first visit to Mon Plaisir and we were most impressed. Exceptional value for a very decent pre-theatre dinner, served promptly by efficient, friendly and helpful staff. One criticism would be that my position facing my neighbour’s table of four meant I did feel extremely close to them and part of their conversation. However, would be happy to return.Special Features:
- Great French DiningGoldenOldieDined on 6/8/2014Just a lovely way to celebrate one's wedding anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sympatedjonDined on 6/8/2014A customer over many years, I've never been disappointed. Good ambience, friendly, courteous staff, prices, food and wines (house) reliable. Is short, sympa!Special Features:
- Good value Proper French foodupto99Dined on 5/8/2014We hadn't been to Mon Plaisir for over 25 years, but it was very much as we remembered it. Good, honest French fare at a reasonable price. Far, far better than the recent "French" chain that has sprung up all around London. Only niggle - the pre Theatre was a little limited, but all the dishes were well prepared and I don't think I have ever eaten such tender "minute" steaksSpecial Features:
- Great place for lunchI8wellDined on 5/8/2014Although there are only two choices for each course on the lunch menu they are always both good and are very good quality and excellent value. My guest was delighted to be introduced to Mon Plaisir.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pretheatre meal :)TeresaBDined on 2/8/2014Really had an enjoyable meal here with my friend, prior to theatre. Steak and frites was delicious, great value and the staff were helpful , friendly and appropriately speedy once they knew we were pre theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealColin25EDined on 1/8/2014I had not visited the Mon Plaisir for some years so was concerned that standards might have slipped......but no fear. The food was as outstanding as ever and the comfortably French feel to the place was unchanged. Our visit confirmed that there is only one place to go to have the best possible French meal when visiting LondonSpecial Features:
- Timj10Dined on 30/7/2014This long established French bistro with an excellent chef provides a very high standard of dining in this part of the West End. The lunchtime/pre theatre menus or the Menu of the month are outstanding value for money in an area of highly expensive alternatives.Special Features:
- LeahDined on 30/7/2014The set lunch menu - veal was substituted: it was tough and dubious.Special Features:
- Mon PlaisirEnidDined on 25/7/2014This restaurant has been in London for many years and though some critics have described it as not being adventurous this should not be viewed as a complaint. It is reassuringly traditional and all the better for that. The French onion soup was perfect as was the confit of duck leg. The service was excellent with food and wine served when needed with no intrusion on our conversation. The prices are reasonable and the wine list varied. This restaurant is definitely on the list for a return visit.Special Features:
- It's our favourite with good reasonJudgementsDined on 24/7/2014Living in East Anglia now, after many years in London, we go back into the city only for events such as West End plays, gallery visits, and to meet up with friends. Mon Plaisir was one of oiur favourites in the past and is even more so nowadays. Attending a matinee and then enjoying an early-ish dinner at Mon Plaisir before catching the last train home (9 pm) not only gives us an excellent meal, but allows us to take advantage of the very affordable pre-theatre offers. And the wine list is extraordinary, with excellent choices amongst excellent prices at the low end price-wise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mon PlaisirCardanDined on 19/7/2014Mon Plaisir was a recommendation from a friend which lived up to expectation. The service was very good with the waitress pre-empting our needs. Food was delicious. We will go again on our next trip to London.Special Features:
- Great location and foodKrissyDined on 19/7/2014We went here before going to see Les Miz...we used the upgraded pre fix menu and thought the quality of food was fabulous and even more reasonable for the price. We would certainly recommend this to a friend looking for a quality meal in the theater district
- Still good after all these yearsStrattonDined on 17/7/2014First went to Mon Plaisir as a student for a "special celebration" in 1968 and return occasionally when I am back in London. It is still recognisable as the place I first visited and still retains both its French ambience and the certainty of a very good meal served by pleasant staff. Good to know some things do not change in an otherwise very changed citySpecial Features:
- Tres dissapointingEvitaesther123VIPDined on 16/7/2014Limited menu & my crab starter was still frozen & after 2 mouthfuls I exchanged it for something else & was unwell for the next 24 hours!Special Features:
- Dinner with friendsBergereDined on 12/7/2014Very pleasant waiter that let us eat at a very leisurely pace without chasing us and agreed to our requests for a variety of puddings and three spoons with charm. A lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impresses the FrenchAmericanlooksDined on 10/7/2014I had lunch at Mon Plaisir with a French colleague of mine and she was impressed with the food. Always a good sign! Lovely place that feels like a little Paris in the middle of Covent GardenSpecial Features:
- charming serviceTweedytrixieDined on 9/7/2014Charming old fashioned and very good value. Great for lunch.Special Features:
- Good food, service, rude managementianfreemanVIPDined on 8/7/2014I couldn't fault the food or the friendly and efficient wait-staff. The manager, on the other hand, was something else! When we asked why the restaurant did not open until 5.45pm she snapped "Our staff have to eat"! Er, maybe they could eat earlier? It seems to have passed them by that every other restaurant in London is open all day and I'm glad for them that they can afford not to. They clearly don't care about their customers as very few would be regulars - most are theatregoers who they are unlikely to see again. To place such a rude individual in a customer-facing role is really not a great idea. I will not venture back in a hurry - Covent Garden & Soho are packed with many more pleasantly run places to eat.
- oh dearfussbucketDined on 7/7/2014Our second time here and not as good as the previous visit. Although the food was good it was not exceptional for the price.
- 50 years onAnnymorryDined on 28/6/2014It remains a friendly value for money oasis in the West End ideal for pre-theatre dinner. First visited at 20 and still enjoy even though it has expanded greatly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurant with nice pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/6/2014Quick served and good food. Nice staff. The table we got were to close to the kitchen "locker" where the staff waited for the food to be brought out to the customersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening mealAndyreviewsDined on 24/6/2014Nice ambience. Staff friendly but slow to deal with requests. Main courses were good, and wine list comprehensive. Our main problem was that the creme brûlées were 'split' or 'curdled'. When pointed out the staff said they'd been having problems with them!Special Features:
- BAck again!CuckfieldchickDined on 24/6/2014This must be our fourth visit to Mon Plaisir in about 6 weeks! We rediscovered it in May and enjoy as much as we did many years ago. It's good to find some things don't change!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmet2VIPDined on 21/6/2014We enjoyed an excellent dinner here with impressively authentic French cuisine and excellent service. The cuisine and service have been somewhat variable in Mon Plasir of late but the restaurant has now regained its former high standards and our recent dining experience was most enjoyable. The prices for food are very reasonable for the quality and standard although some of the wines on a vast list are a little overpriced. Recommended.Special Features:
- Lovely for a special occasionsallysintownDined on 21/6/2014Eight of us from bridesmaids to grandmothers had lunch at Mon Plaisir for my daughter’s hen party meal before a theatre matinee performance. The food was excellent, my lamb from the lunch menu was so tasty and tender and daughter’s steak cooked to perfection. Service was just right, not too invasive. The wine is a little pricey but the least expensive dry white (£19) was very very good. Would thoroughly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerJeremyDined on 19/6/2014Have known this restaurant for many years and it maintains a high standard of classic French dishes. Whilst not the most innovative menu, the seasonal food is well prepared and particularly impressive was their ability to produce strawberries and cream ( not on the menu but all we had room for). Good, friendly professional service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 18/6/2014Lovely to be back at Mon Plaisir agan after a long gap! We had the set lunch which was delicious and very reasonable. wine good and service delightful. Will be back soon!Special Features:
- It was a real pleasureWonderlanderDined on 14/6/2014We had a brilliant post-theatre dinner. We opted for the fixed price special. The food was excellent, as was the service. Haven't been to Mon Plaisir for several years as we had a disappointing experience there but we shall certainly go there again. Really excellent value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A ClassicClarissaDined on 10/6/2014Tho we ate Italian food in a French restaurant it was terrific. The restaurant has such a history...it's wonderful to know it's still going strong.
- Parisian experienceNiandiDined on 9/6/2014As a long-time Parisian food addict and gourmet I was pleasantly surprised by the "French" atmosphere of this establishment in the heart of London. The service was irreproachable - timely and customer-friendly. I had forgottent o change from CET to GNT and the hostess offered to take my luggage while I went for a quick pre-dinner stroll. The waiter was fresh from Paris - friendly and chatty. Not to mention Serge the musician on his harmonica providing a real "Montmartre" touch to the meal. Foodwise: efficient, great value and tasty too - I took the pre-theatre menu. A great little culinary bijou. A très bientôt j'espère pour une soirée conviviale et authentique ......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.