19 - 21 Monmouth Street
London, WC2H 9DDNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.monplaisir.co.uk/
- Phone: 02078367243
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Sat: Lunch: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, Brasserie: 2:30pm - 5:45pm, Dinner: 5:45pm - 11:30pm.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Gluten-free Menu, Wine
A word from Mon Plaisir
For more than half a century, a little piece of the capital has been proudly French too - Mon Plaisir restaurant on Covent Garden’s Monmouth Street is famous as London’s longest-serving French restaurant. Is it romantic? Well, dozens, maybe hundreds, of marriage proposals have taken place here as well as countless first dates, third dates and anniversary celebrations. Acquired by the Viala brothers in the 1940s, Mon Plaisir has gone from strength to strength, entertaining a who’s who of London society with its uniquely French charm. Four rooms with different looks make up Mon Plaisir – from the main dining room, unchanged since the 40’s, to the lounge with its pewter-topped bar rescued from a Lyonnais brothel. From the utterly traditional, to the conceptual and modern, Mon Plaisir restaurant’s French menu explores in depth France’s world-famous cuisine with a panache more often seen on the streets of Paris.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mon Plaisir reviews from OpenTable diners
380 reviews since 31 October 2013
pre/post theatre (240)special occasions (137)romance (120)fit for foodies (113)business meals (102)outstanding value (78)group bookings (33)sunday lunch (20)brunch (16)child friendly (9)good vegetarian options (8)afternoon tea (6)outdoor eating (4)disabled access (1)Show More
- Lovely restaurant!ordinaryhumanbeingVIPDined on 29/10/2014There's a reason this restaurant has been a favourite with publishes for decades. Always a pleasure to eat here - good food, good service, and the building itself is interesting. Sound level allows you to have a proper conversation, and unless you are dining before the theatre, service is not rushed. One of my favourites.Special Features:
- great central staplejonathanJMDined on 24/10/2014As always, an excellent meal, one of many visits this year, always good. For once, we were not pre-theatre so had time to relax and enjoy the whole evening.Special Features:
- Good restaurant.heliantusDined on 23/10/2014Good food in a cosy environment. A bit slow service though. Booking essential!
- Another great dinner!LondonerDined on 23/10/2014This was the third in a row of celebratory dinners we had booked and it was, as ever, wonderful - g and wine, lovely attentive staff and a great atmosphere. Keep doing what you do so well, Mon Plaisir!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diningclerkDined on 21/10/2014It was good to return to Mon Plaisir after a gap for some years. I love French food and had a soft spot for this restaurant. We enjoyed the food and the atmosphere, but the service was rather variable. There was certainly no feeling, especially from the senior staff, that they were either attentive or very interested. Some might say that is authentically French! However that is not my experience in France.. The general feeling was rushed one and that the staff were struggling - although there didn't seem to be any shortage of staff. In their defence the dining space is very cramped and access both for diners and staff is very awkward in places. I shall certainly return, in due course, and hope for nice food, atmosphere and service.Special Features:
- CathyDined on 18/10/2014Went for a birthday and the waiter was so kind with us, particularly attentive to my mother's diet. You must try it, food is good and ambiance very nice and charming.Special Features:
- ExcellentRoxLeCluse2Dined on 17/10/2014It is always a pleasure to eat at Mon Plaisir. The food is excellent, the service prompt and the prices are reasonable for central London (or any other capital city). The experience is as close as you will get in London to dining in a "real" family run bistro in France.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good French fareSagelemonthymeDined on 17/10/2014Mon Plaisir offers a step back to the standard dishes of a French Bistro rarely found now. The pre theatre menu was excellent as was their house red wine. With its quirky rambling interior it makes the large restaurant feel intimate. It is not grand cuisine but offers great value for money and I would happily recommend it.Special Features:
- IndianholidayDined on 16/10/2014I was eating in this restaurant for the first time as were my three companions, we thought the menus all looked very good, we did not choose the pre-dinner menu but it appeared to be very good value. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening and will certainly be making future visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HamletHamletDined on 14/10/2014I am a great fan of Mon Plaisir and have been for about 40 years but my main course on Tuesday was inedible overcooked confit de canard. I complained but there was not much interest. My companion it should be said enjoyed his foie de veau and the atmosphere in the back room which I recommend was as pleasant as ever. I will I suppose go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very good lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 14/10/2014Traditional very well cooked French food in a really delightful setting. Service charming ift a little inattentive. Major plus no music. Surrounded by people clearly enjoying themselves in an un noisy way. Lovely round table for 5 or 6 in the window.Special Features:
- Classic French fareOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014Great food at very reasonable prices in a lovely setting. Wine is pricey; some portions v large.Special Features:
- Super Service Pre- Show MealNighthawkDined on 8/10/2014I booked this restaurant for a pre- show meal with my wife, and from the moment we arrived we were made to feel comfortable. The ambiance was superb and the meal came very quickly, although we were not rushed. When we booked they asked what time we had to leave and made sure that we were finished on time. The food from the set menu was simple yet delicious. Very good value and we would certainly eat there again. Would like to go back when we have more time to try some of the lovely dishes from the main menu.Special Features:
- Historic frenchNeillADined on 7/10/2014My wife and I went for pre theatre dinner, which was good value for money. Not the most memorable food by today's standards but satisfying and enjoyable. The ambience was nostalgically genuine mid twentieth century French and it wa lovely to hear genuine French waiters in a French restaurant. The service was exceptionally good, speedy polite and efficient - a joy to eperience.Special Features:
- Thank you!AnyaDined on 6/10/2014Everything, from the start to the end of our visit, went smoothly and professionally. We enjoyed the absolutely great food, humorous waiter and the lovely atmosphere. I got extra pleasure out of the place setting being correct and functional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- back again!imelda77Dined on 2/10/2014This time for a b'day dinner with a girlfriend. She loved her meal, was impressed with the wine list and as always the service was spot on. I highly recommend Mon Plaisir!
- An evening at Mon PlaisirPerfectionistDined on 1/10/2014Prior to a short visit to France, in early October, my husband and I decided to dine at Mon Plaisir to get ourselves into the mood for our French trip. The moment that we entered the restaurant we felt that we were already in France. The welcome was warm, atmosphere buzzing, food and service were first rate. I enjoyed Coq au Vin whilst my husband could not stop praising his dish of scallops. In fact, because we enjoyed the evening so much we booked another visit to Mon Plaisir for the evening of our return from France. Our second visit was equally as good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid french cuisinelittlesimonDined on 27/9/2014Went here for dinner with a group of eight friends. The menus were varied and we all found something good (and safe) to eat. Dishes were large and tasty, wine was good too. By the time dessert arrived we were stuffed.Special Features:
- Beautifully French restaurantSMA1Dined on 25/9/2014Knew this restaurant well 20 years ago, and had many romantic dinners there. But having moved around London hadn't been back for so long. Just by chance was meeting an old work colleague in the area and this restaurant came up on the app. As before, a beautifully French restaurant with great service and very good food. The ambiance and appearance too is very French, and one feels like one has stepped off Covent Garden into a restaurant in the centre of Paris. Great place to go for romantic dinners and to catch up with good friends.Special Features:
- No 1 of 3LondonerDined on 25/9/2014This was the first of our ladies' celebratory MP dinners in three weeks - and it was as good and faithful as always. We were intent upon steak and frites plus cheese and it was all perfect, served by friendly and efficient staff. The upstairs room is lovely. Roll on next week!Special Features:
- consistently goodtheatremanDined on 24/9/2014As ever Mon Plaisir is an ideal venue for pre theatre dinner and it was agin this timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real Pleasure60forGillDined on 20/9/2014Since I first discovered Mon Plaisir in 1988 I have dined here only about a dozen times but each occasion is a joy, is memorable not only for the food which is brilliant, but also the ambience and the faultless, attentive yet soft touch service of your lovely French staff. It all adds to the total plessure of evening dining here whether it is pre theatre or as this ooccasioin was, an important romantic birthday celebration for my partner. She had never been to Mon Plaisir before but enjoyed every moment and every thing about the restaurant and our evening dining there. Well done. We will most certainly be back whenever we are in London.Special Features:
- Always excellentAlfredoNDined on 17/9/2014We have been to Mon Plaisir many times over the last several years. Every meal we have had there has been first class - food, service and welcome have remained consistently good. The pre-theatre menu is excellent value.Special Features:
- 25th Anniversaryeyesbiggerthan14Dined on 16/9/2014Bored with "pretty" food Mon Plaisir was like a breath of fresh air. My husband and I have travelled through France early in our relationship and this took us back 25 years to those lovely restaurants found in beautiful towns and squares along the way. We should have stopped with the filling French onion soup but carried on valiantly to the chocolate mousse and raspberries. A treasure amongst the chains and celebrity chef offerings in Covent GardenSpecial Features:
- Enjoyable early evening mealJasperDined on 13/9/2014We were seated upstairs which was lovely. The staff are very efficient and the meal is served promptly which is ideal if you are going to the theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodOpentablerDined on 12/9/2014Mon Plaisir serves very good food in a nice cosy setting. Service was good. I would prefer the option of service charge (both in terms of giving and amount) rather than it being included on the bill as standard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food BAD BAD servicelapindesboisDined on 12/9/2014went on a Friday evening, We had to join the queue in the tiny entrance and I had to shout my name to a waitress and without a hello or welcome she showed us the small table. not the best start of an evening!! then we sat down , waited for 10 minutes until someone gave us the menu without looking at us and then asked: drinks?? I said we will order some wine and the waitress asked which one |(impatient). I said I would need to see the wine list first (!) we felt our dinner was very rushed, we had less than 5 minutes btw the starter and the main. it felt like a factory, where waitresses were too busy and stressed to care about the customers. I think they are seriously understaffed. the staff is grumpy and not helpful.Special Features:
- goagzyDined on 12/9/2014Excellent friendly staff who aware immediately aware of our need to be away by seven for the theatre. That said the service was quick without it being rushed and at the end of it the price was not as dear as we thought. Previous reviews indicated expensive drink but that was not the case. Overall a great pllaceSpecial Features:
- FlorenceDined on 10/9/2014Another good evening at Mon Plaisir. My late father took me there as a teenager, I am now old enough to take my grandchildren!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PenMartDined on 3/9/2014Enjoyed our midweek meal here. Food very good, although service slow. A little pricey but would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return visitMaggicVIPDined on 2/9/2014Our second visit with cousins from Australia. Thoroughly enjoyed it as much as the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Banners51Dined on 1/9/2014You get a genuine welcome at the door, and for this booking I got the table I had requested. My friends from the USA were very impressed and we enjoyed a lovely set menu lunch which was well presented, very tasty and good value. We were not hurried and thoroughly enjoyed a leisurely lunch. The washrooms continue to be quirky and spotless! I will be looking to return to Mon Plaisir very shortly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulwonderbarbalham00000Dined on 30/8/2014lovely intimate restaurant with discreet but attentive waiting staff, gorgeous foodSpecial Features:
- always reliable and enjoyable!imelda77Dined on 28/8/2014Appreciated being able to choose our table from one of several they had available. We selected a cosy corner and appreciated greatly the waiter(s) being there when we needed them, and being left alone when we did not! A lovely dinner, romantic dinner for two - I recommend!Special Features:
- Always a treatLovedUpDined on 28/8/2014Delicious French food, lots of interesting artwork around the place and great service. All the classics on the a la carte menu, the set menu is good value and has a well balanced selection of dishes. Wish I had saved room for pudding as the options sounded delicious! I'm sure (I hope!) we'll be back before too long.Special Features:
- Expensive French treatOldDinerDined on 21/8/2014Mon Plaisir is still the real French thing, at a price. Starters (overpriced) and mains of high order, puddings less so. Meal for two was £130+. Great atmosphere, with lots of nooks and crannies for romantics. Mind your head. French staff, but friendly and helpful. Wine very overpriced, but the red we had (£36) was absolutely first-rate. Kir Mur a bit 'weak'. Reserve this place for special occasions, or have the pre-theatre, prix-fixe menu which is better value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice pre-theatre dinnerJCB19Dined on 20/8/2014Closest to a French restaurant outside France. Good value pre-theatre menu though drinks are quite pricy. Portions not huge but enough. Good service.Special Features:
- A little disappointedPalace01Dined on 20/8/2014We were three friends out for lunch, service good ambience good We had the lunch menu and found the portions very small our main course. Was calves liver Two very small pieces and a little very nice mash potatoes no veg at all Would return to try thr ala carte menuSpecial Features:
- ExcellentThe54sDined on 18/8/2014Excellent as always. My groups twice yearly visits are always looked forward to, and enjoyed.Special Features:
- LovelyNMC52Dined on 14/8/2014I go there when I want to feel good! Good food, nice place, amazing ambience... what else can you ask?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.