19 - 21 Monmouth Street
London, WC2H 9DDNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.monplaisir.co.uk/
- Phone: 02078367243
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Sat: Lunch: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, Brasserie: 2:30pm - 5:45pm, Dinner: 5:45pm - 11:30pm.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Gluten-free Menu, Wine
A word from Mon Plaisir
For more than half a century, a little piece of the capital has been proudly French too - Mon Plaisir restaurant on Covent Garden’s Monmouth Street is famous as London’s longest-serving French restaurant. Is it romantic? Well, dozens, maybe hundreds, of marriage proposals have taken place here as well as countless first dates, third dates and anniversary celebrations. Acquired by the Viala brothers in the 1940s, Mon Plaisir has gone from strength to strength, entertaining a who’s who of London society with its uniquely French charm. Four rooms with different looks make up Mon Plaisir – from the main dining room, unchanged since the 40’s, to the lounge with its pewter-topped bar rescued from a Lyonnais brothel. From the utterly traditional, to the conceptual and modern, Mon Plaisir restaurant’s French menu explores in depth France’s world-famous cuisine with a panache more often seen on the streets of Paris.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mon Plaisir reviews from OpenTable diners
384 reviews since 4 June 2014
pre/post theatre (237)special occasions (141)romance (123)fit for foodies (121)business meals (108)outstanding value (79)group bookings (36)sunday lunch (23)brunch (17)good vegetarian options (9)child friendly (9)afternoon tea (6)outdoor eating (5)disabled access (1)Show More
- solid french cuisinelittlesimonDined on 27/9/2014Went here for dinner with a group of eight friends. The menus were varied and we all found something good (and safe) to eat. Dishes were large and tasty, wine was good too. By the time dessert arrived we were stuffed.Special Features:
- Beautifully French restaurantSMA1Dined on 25/9/2014Knew this restaurant well 20 years ago, and had many romantic dinners there. But having moved around London hadn't been back for so long. Just by chance was meeting an old work colleague in the area and this restaurant came up on the app. As before, a beautifully French restaurant with great service and very good food. The ambiance and appearance too is very French, and one feels like one has stepped off Covent Garden into a restaurant in the centre of Paris. Great place to go for romantic dinners and to catch up with good friends.Special Features:
- No 1 of 3LondonerDined on 25/9/2014This was the first of our ladies' celebratory MP dinners in three weeks - and it was as good and faithful as always. We were intent upon steak and frites plus cheese and it was all perfect, served by friendly and efficient staff. The upstairs room is lovely. Roll on next week!Special Features:
- consistently goodtheatremanDined on 24/9/2014As ever Mon Plaisir is an ideal venue for pre theatre dinner and it was agin this timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real Pleasure60forGillDined on 20/9/2014Since I first discovered Mon Plaisir in 1988 I have dined here only about a dozen times but each occasion is a joy, is memorable not only for the food which is brilliant, but also the ambience and the faultless, attentive yet soft touch service of your lovely French staff. It all adds to the total plessure of evening dining here whether it is pre theatre or as this ooccasioin was, an important romantic birthday celebration for my partner. She had never been to Mon Plaisir before but enjoyed every moment and every thing about the restaurant and our evening dining there. Well done. We will most certainly be back whenever we are in London.Special Features:
- Always excellentAlfredoNDined on 17/9/2014We have been to Mon Plaisir many times over the last several years. Every meal we have had there has been first class - food, service and welcome have remained consistently good. The pre-theatre menu is excellent value.Special Features:
- 25th Anniversaryeyesbiggerthan14Dined on 16/9/2014Bored with "pretty" food Mon Plaisir was like a breath of fresh air. My husband and I have travelled through France early in our relationship and this took us back 25 years to those lovely restaurants found in beautiful towns and squares along the way. We should have stopped with the filling French onion soup but carried on valiantly to the chocolate mousse and raspberries. A treasure amongst the chains and celebrity chef offerings in Covent GardenSpecial Features:
- Enjoyable early evening mealJasperDined on 13/9/2014We were seated upstairs which was lovely. The staff are very efficient and the meal is served promptly which is ideal if you are going to the theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodOpentablerDined on 12/9/2014Mon Plaisir serves very good food in a nice cosy setting. Service was good. I would prefer the option of service charge (both in terms of giving and amount) rather than it being included on the bill as standard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food BAD BAD servicelapindesboisDined on 12/9/2014went on a Friday evening, We had to join the queue in the tiny entrance and I had to shout my name to a waitress and without a hello or welcome she showed us the small table. not the best start of an evening!! then we sat down , waited for 10 minutes until someone gave us the menu without looking at us and then asked: drinks?? I said we will order some wine and the waitress asked which one |(impatient). I said I would need to see the wine list first (!) we felt our dinner was very rushed, we had less than 5 minutes btw the starter and the main. it felt like a factory, where waitresses were too busy and stressed to care about the customers. I think they are seriously understaffed. the staff is grumpy and not helpful.Special Features:
- goagzyDined on 12/9/2014Excellent friendly staff who aware immediately aware of our need to be away by seven for the theatre. That said the service was quick without it being rushed and at the end of it the price was not as dear as we thought. Previous reviews indicated expensive drink but that was not the case. Overall a great pllaceSpecial Features:
- FlorenceDined on 10/9/2014Another good evening at Mon Plaisir. My late father took me there as a teenager, I am now old enough to take my grandchildren!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PenMartDined on 3/9/2014Enjoyed our midweek meal here. Food very good, although service slow. A little pricey but would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return visitMaggicVIPDined on 2/9/2014Our second visit with cousins from Australia. Thoroughly enjoyed it as much as the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Banners51Dined on 1/9/2014You get a genuine welcome at the door, and for this booking I got the table I had requested. My friends from the USA were very impressed and we enjoyed a lovely set menu lunch which was well presented, very tasty and good value. We were not hurried and thoroughly enjoyed a leisurely lunch. The washrooms continue to be quirky and spotless! I will be looking to return to Mon Plaisir very shortly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulwonderbarbalham00000Dined on 30/8/2014lovely intimate restaurant with discreet but attentive waiting staff, gorgeous foodSpecial Features:
- Always a treatLovedUpDined on 28/8/2014Delicious French food, lots of interesting artwork around the place and great service. All the classics on the a la carte menu, the set menu is good value and has a well balanced selection of dishes. Wish I had saved room for pudding as the options sounded delicious! I'm sure (I hope!) we'll be back before too long.Special Features:
- Expensive French treatOldDinerDined on 21/8/2014Mon Plaisir is still the real French thing, at a price. Starters (overpriced) and mains of high order, puddings less so. Meal for two was £130+. Great atmosphere, with lots of nooks and crannies for romantics. Mind your head. French staff, but friendly and helpful. Wine very overpriced, but the red we had (£36) was absolutely first-rate. Kir Mur a bit 'weak'. Reserve this place for special occasions, or have the pre-theatre, prix-fixe menu which is better value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice pre-theatre dinnerJCB19Dined on 20/8/2014Closest to a French restaurant outside France. Good value pre-theatre menu though drinks are quite pricy. Portions not huge but enough. Good service.Special Features:
- A little disappointedPalace01Dined on 20/8/2014We were three friends out for lunch, service good ambience good We had the lunch menu and found the portions very small our main course. Was calves liver Two very small pieces and a little very nice mash potatoes no veg at all Would return to try thr ala carte menuSpecial Features:
- ExcellentThe54sDined on 18/8/2014Excellent as always. My groups twice yearly visits are always looked forward to, and enjoyed.Special Features:
- LovelyNMC52Dined on 14/8/2014I go there when I want to feel good! Good food, nice place, amazing ambience... what else can you ask?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old French favouriteLinnieBeeDined on 14/8/2014Treated a friend to birthday lunch at this well established French favourite on 14th August. Food impeccable and delicious. Attentive, but not overbearing, service. We ate from the Carte but, for a somewhat less expensive treat, try their daily lunch menu or Menu of the Month. Very acceptable wines by the glass, carafe of 50cl, or bottle. The experience was made all the more pleasurable by the helpful waiter and lady Maitre D' who, on learning we were visiting Paris later in the year, offered recommendations for eateries in Montmartre and Montparnasse. A thoroughly enjoyable lunchtime on the fringes of Covent Garden.Special Features:
- BucksVIPDined on 12/8/2014Haven't been here for a few months but it is still a good place to have an enjoyable lunch. WC
- Exceptional valueMaggicVIPDined on 7/8/2014Our first visit to Mon Plaisir and we were most impressed. Exceptional value for a very decent pre-theatre dinner, served promptly by efficient, friendly and helpful staff. One criticism would be that my position facing my neighbour’s table of four meant I did feel extremely close to them and part of their conversation. However, would be happy to return.Special Features:
- Great French DiningGoldenOldieDined on 6/8/2014Just a lovely way to celebrate one's wedding anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sympatedjonDined on 6/8/2014A customer over many years, I've never been disappointed. Good ambience, friendly, courteous staff, prices, food and wines (house) reliable. Is short, sympa!Special Features:
- Good value Proper French foodupto99Dined on 5/8/2014We hadn't been to Mon Plaisir for over 25 years, but it was very much as we remembered it. Good, honest French fare at a reasonable price. Far, far better than the recent "French" chain that has sprung up all around London. Only niggle - the pre Theatre was a little limited, but all the dishes were well prepared and I don't think I have ever eaten such tender "minute" steaksSpecial Features:
- Great place for lunchI8wellDined on 5/8/2014Although there are only two choices for each course on the lunch menu they are always both good and are very good quality and excellent value. My guest was delighted to be introduced to Mon Plaisir.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pretheatre meal :)TeresaBDined on 2/8/2014Really had an enjoyable meal here with my friend, prior to theatre. Steak and frites was delicious, great value and the staff were helpful , friendly and appropriately speedy once they knew we were pre theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealColin25EDined on 1/8/2014I had not visited the Mon Plaisir for some years so was concerned that standards might have slipped......but no fear. The food was as outstanding as ever and the comfortably French feel to the place was unchanged. Our visit confirmed that there is only one place to go to have the best possible French meal when visiting LondonSpecial Features:
- Timj10Dined on 30/7/2014This long established French bistro with an excellent chef provides a very high standard of dining in this part of the West End. The lunchtime/pre theatre menus or the Menu of the month are outstanding value for money in an area of highly expensive alternatives.Special Features:
- LeahDined on 30/7/2014The set lunch menu - veal was substituted: it was tough and dubious.Special Features:
- Mon PlaisirEnidDined on 25/7/2014This restaurant has been in London for many years and though some critics have described it as not being adventurous this should not be viewed as a complaint. It is reassuringly traditional and all the better for that. The French onion soup was perfect as was the confit of duck leg. The service was excellent with food and wine served when needed with no intrusion on our conversation. The prices are reasonable and the wine list varied. This restaurant is definitely on the list for a return visit.Special Features:
- It's our favourite with good reasonJudgementsDined on 24/7/2014Living in East Anglia now, after many years in London, we go back into the city only for events such as West End plays, gallery visits, and to meet up with friends. Mon Plaisir was one of oiur favourites in the past and is even more so nowadays. Attending a matinee and then enjoying an early-ish dinner at Mon Plaisir before catching the last train home (9 pm) not only gives us an excellent meal, but allows us to take advantage of the very affordable pre-theatre offers. And the wine list is extraordinary, with excellent choices amongst excellent prices at the low end price-wise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mon PlaisirCardanDined on 19/7/2014Mon Plaisir was a recommendation from a friend which lived up to expectation. The service was very good with the waitress pre-empting our needs. Food was delicious. We will go again on our next trip to London.Special Features:
- Great location and foodKrissyDined on 19/7/2014We went here before going to see Les Miz...we used the upgraded pre fix menu and thought the quality of food was fabulous and even more reasonable for the price. We would certainly recommend this to a friend looking for a quality meal in the theater district
- Still good after all these yearsStrattonDined on 17/7/2014First went to Mon Plaisir as a student for a "special celebration" in 1968 and return occasionally when I am back in London. It is still recognisable as the place I first visited and still retains both its French ambience and the certainty of a very good meal served by pleasant staff. Good to know some things do not change in an otherwise very changed citySpecial Features:
- Tres dissapointingEvitaesther123VIPDined on 16/7/2014Limited menu & my crab starter was still frozen & after 2 mouthfuls I exchanged it for something else & was unwell for the next 24 hours!Special Features:
- Dinner with friendsBergereDined on 12/7/2014Very pleasant waiter that let us eat at a very leisurely pace without chasing us and agreed to our requests for a variety of puddings and three spoons with charm. A lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.