19 - 21 Monmouth Street
London, WC2H 9DDNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.monplaisir.co.uk/
- Phone: 020 7836 7243
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Sat: Lunch: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, Brasserie: 2:30pm - 5:45pm, Dinner: 5:45pm - 11:30pm.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Gluten-free Menu, Wine
A word from Mon Plaisir
For more than half a century, a little piece of the capital has been proudly French too - Mon Plaisir restaurant on Covent Garden’s Monmouth Street is famous as London’s longest-serving French restaurant. Is it romantic? Well, dozens, maybe hundreds, of marriage proposals have taken place here as well as countless first dates, third dates and anniversary celebrations. Acquired by the Viala brothers in the 1940s, Mon Plaisir has gone from strength to strength, entertaining a who’s who of London society with its uniquely French charm. Four rooms with different looks make up Mon Plaisir – from the main dining room, unchanged since the 40’s, to the lounge with its pewter-topped bar rescued from a Lyonnais brothel. From the utterly traditional, to the conceptual and modern, Mon Plaisir restaurant’s French menu explores in depth France’s world-famous cuisine with a panache more often seen on the streets of Paris.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mon Plaisir reviews from OpenTable diners
395 reviews since 29 November 2013
pre/post theatre (250)special occasions (148)romance (125)fit for foodies (122)business meals (111)outstanding value (85)group bookings (33)sunday lunch (21)brunch (15)good vegetarian options (8)child friendly (8)afternoon tea (6)outdoor eating (4)disabled access (1)Show More
- Perfect for lunchI8wellDined on 26/11/2014The set menu for lunch is always excellent. I was introducing the restaurant to two friends who were delighted with the "discovery". We will all return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mon PlaisirZelagDined on 25/11/2014An unpretentious, but very French, brasserie with a very good value set menu for lunch and decent house wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassicHukuleleDined on 22/11/2014I first came 40 years ago (or thereabouts). It continues to give untold pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 22/11/2014Food and ambiance very good, unfortunately the waitress was poor. She had very little understanding of English and even when conversed with in fluent french had some trouble.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place to goOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 21/11/2014The food was very good and the waiter was very nice and funny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place but...foodieDined on 21/11/2014We have been going to Mon plaisir on and off for years but this was the first time with the family. We planned to have the pre theatre menu but due to a genuine misunderstanding with the waiter ended up with steak from the main menu. This was really delicious but not what we thought we had ordered! After some discussion with the manager we sorted out a compromise solution with the bill but it was a bit of an uncomfortable situation. Shame because we really like the place and would like to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service pre theatre and super foodRomanacatDined on 20/11/2014Our second visit and not disappointed. The pre theatre service and menu is very good value and was upraised that it was not busier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mon Plaisir RevisitedWhittosDined on 18/11/2014We had not been to Mon Plaisir for several years so were delighted to find that little has changed. The food the staff and indeed the whole experience was as good as ever and knocks spots off the new style of restaurants with their fancy chefs !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant Old HauntJodyhatterVIPDined on 18/11/2014This restaurant consistently delivers a great meal. I've been coming here for years and nothing really changes. The staff are professional (if a little indifferent, but I always thought that was Gallic improv) and the charm of the place is undeniable. The fare is classic French bistro and the decor is Paris chop house. You would be very unlucky to have a bad experience here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tres BonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 15/11/2014Always a delight great food and friendly atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pre theatre dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/11/2014Starter poor but main course good. Service good and very reasonable pre theatre dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's real treasureSteviewonderDined on 10/11/2014There is nothing to dislike about this restaurant and everything to like from the relaxed comfortable ambiance to the food, the wine and the service....it's a place you will return to time and time againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- weekday business lunchMusoDined on 7/11/2014Warm characteristically integrated welcome. Attentive bright and happy service. Good bread, excellent value set lunch menus, and flavourful food. Nice sophisticated wine list, well chosen. Attractive ambience, and the touch of long experience and success. No hurry to leave after eating, and quietly comforting but businesslike. Much to recommend it, as always. A strong feeling of consistency over the years is hugely appreciated.Special Features:
- Pre-theatre menurws59dineDined on 6/11/2014The food and the service were excellent. My wife and I have eaten at Mon Plaisir for many years and we have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Good French foodpastilleDined on 6/11/2014Very pleasant lunch with friends. Good food with fairly typical French items on the menu. Would be good for pre-theatre if you are going to the Cambridge. Otherwise, 5.45 pm might be a bit late start to reach other theatres. Good house wine. Friendly and helpful young staff. Was our first time, but will certainly go again.Special Features:
- A Business reunionOutandaboutDined on 3/11/2014It had been years since I had been here and this was a dinner for 8 ex colleagues getting together. Our table was ready and well laid out enabling us all to hear everyone on the table. The service was very good, with friendly staff. The only service blip is that dreadful idea serving coffee with the dessert instead of after it. My food(onion soup and the lamb)was of the fixed menu(not pretheatre or a la Carte) and offered excellent value and was very tasty. Most of the people on the table enjoyed the food although there was a comment that the confit duck was a bit disappointing. Overall we had good food, good wine, good service, in a fine ambiance. Best of all we were all quite pleased with the bill at the end of the evening.Special Features:
- SidegDined on 3/11/2014Perfect for a French supper with my sons prior to La Boheme at ENO nearby,seated at the same table as 38 years ago with their mother.Prompt friendly service of nourishing tasty food was a great start to our boys' night out.Excellent value.Special Features:
- GrimereaperDined on 1/11/2014This was our second visit, very handy as we are becoming regulars at the Covent Garden Hotel. Booked 2 months (I think) in advance as part of a birthday package. Table was very disappointing - on it's own right next to the waiter station where plates were scraped and cutlery dropped off. Staff were great and did their best to mitigate disturbance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for pre show mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/11/2014Very nice ambience. Nice food - nothing to wow but very good value for £15.95 3 courses including coffee. All very tasty. House wine quite average though and thrown all over the table by the waitress which was a bit funny! Would definitely visit again though. Asks if there would be time for aperetif and told there would be but first course served 60 seconds later - would have been nice to have a few minutes gap!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurant!ordinaryhumanbeingVIPDined on 29/10/2014There's a reason this restaurant has been a favourite with publishes for decades. Always a pleasure to eat here - good food, good service, and the building itself is interesting. Sound level allows you to have a proper conversation, and unless you are dining before the theatre, service is not rushed. One of my favourites.Special Features:
- great central staplejonathanJMDined on 24/10/2014As always, an excellent meal, one of many visits this year, always good. For once, we were not pre-theatre so had time to relax and enjoy the whole evening.Special Features:
- Good restaurant.heliantusDined on 23/10/2014Good food in a cosy environment. A bit slow service though. Booking essential!
- Another great dinner!LondonerDined on 23/10/2014This was the third in a row of celebratory dinners we had booked and it was, as ever, wonderful - g and wine, lovely attentive staff and a great atmosphere. Keep doing what you do so well, Mon Plaisir!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diningclerkDined on 21/10/2014It was good to return to Mon Plaisir after a gap for some years. I love French food and had a soft spot for this restaurant. We enjoyed the food and the atmosphere, but the service was rather variable. There was certainly no feeling, especially from the senior staff, that they were either attentive or very interested. Some might say that is authentically French! However that is not my experience in France.. The general feeling was rushed one and that the staff were struggling - although there didn't seem to be any shortage of staff. In their defence the dining space is very cramped and access both for diners and staff is very awkward in places. I shall certainly return, in due course, and hope for nice food, atmosphere and service.Special Features:
- CathyDined on 18/10/2014Went for a birthday and the waiter was so kind with us, particularly attentive to my mother's diet. You must try it, food is good and ambiance very nice and charming.Special Features:
- ExcellentRoxLeCluse2Dined on 17/10/2014It is always a pleasure to eat at Mon Plaisir. The food is excellent, the service prompt and the prices are reasonable for central London (or any other capital city). The experience is as close as you will get in London to dining in a "real" family run bistro in France.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good French fareSagelemonthymeDined on 17/10/2014Mon Plaisir offers a step back to the standard dishes of a French Bistro rarely found now. The pre theatre menu was excellent as was their house red wine. With its quirky rambling interior it makes the large restaurant feel intimate. It is not grand cuisine but offers great value for money and I would happily recommend it.Special Features:
- IndianholidayDined on 16/10/2014I was eating in this restaurant for the first time as were my three companions, we thought the menus all looked very good, we did not choose the pre-dinner menu but it appeared to be very good value. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening and will certainly be making future visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HamletHamletDined on 14/10/2014I am a great fan of Mon Plaisir and have been for about 40 years but my main course on Tuesday was inedible overcooked confit de canard. I complained but there was not much interest. My companion it should be said enjoyed his foie de veau and the atmosphere in the back room which I recommend was as pleasant as ever. I will I suppose go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very good lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 14/10/2014Traditional very well cooked French food in a really delightful setting. Service charming ift a little inattentive. Major plus no music. Surrounded by people clearly enjoying themselves in an un noisy way. Lovely round table for 5 or 6 in the window.Special Features:
- Classic French fareOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014Great food at very reasonable prices in a lovely setting. Wine is pricey; some portions v large.Special Features:
- Super Service Pre- Show MealNighthawkDined on 8/10/2014I booked this restaurant for a pre- show meal with my wife, and from the moment we arrived we were made to feel comfortable. The ambiance was superb and the meal came very quickly, although we were not rushed. When we booked they asked what time we had to leave and made sure that we were finished on time. The food from the set menu was simple yet delicious. Very good value and we would certainly eat there again. Would like to go back when we have more time to try some of the lovely dishes from the main menu.Special Features:
- Historic frenchNeillADined on 7/10/2014My wife and I went for pre theatre dinner, which was good value for money. Not the most memorable food by today's standards but satisfying and enjoyable. The ambience was nostalgically genuine mid twentieth century French and it wa lovely to hear genuine French waiters in a French restaurant. The service was exceptionally good, speedy polite and efficient - a joy to eperience.Special Features:
- Thank you!AnyaDined on 6/10/2014Everything, from the start to the end of our visit, went smoothly and professionally. We enjoyed the absolutely great food, humorous waiter and the lovely atmosphere. I got extra pleasure out of the place setting being correct and functional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- back again!imelda77Dined on 2/10/2014This time for a b'day dinner with a girlfriend. She loved her meal, was impressed with the wine list and as always the service was spot on. I highly recommend Mon Plaisir!
- An evening at Mon PlaisirPerfectionistDined on 1/10/2014Prior to a short visit to France, in early October, my husband and I decided to dine at Mon Plaisir to get ourselves into the mood for our French trip. The moment that we entered the restaurant we felt that we were already in France. The welcome was warm, atmosphere buzzing, food and service were first rate. I enjoyed Coq au Vin whilst my husband could not stop praising his dish of scallops. In fact, because we enjoyed the evening so much we booked another visit to Mon Plaisir for the evening of our return from France. Our second visit was equally as good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid french cuisinelittlesimonDined on 27/9/2014Went here for dinner with a group of eight friends. The menus were varied and we all found something good (and safe) to eat. Dishes were large and tasty, wine was good too. By the time dessert arrived we were stuffed.Special Features:
- Quick, tasty and authenticginstarDined on 27/9/2014Very polite and efficient service and delicious food. Always a pleasureSpecial Features:
- Beautifully French restaurantSMA1Dined on 25/9/2014Knew this restaurant well 20 years ago, and had many romantic dinners there. But having moved around London hadn't been back for so long. Just by chance was meeting an old work colleague in the area and this restaurant came up on the app. As before, a beautifully French restaurant with great service and very good food. The ambiance and appearance too is very French, and one feels like one has stepped off Covent Garden into a restaurant in the centre of Paris. Great place to go for romantic dinners and to catch up with good friends.Special Features:
- No 1 of 3LondonerDined on 25/9/2014This was the first of our ladies' celebratory MP dinners in three weeks - and it was as good and faithful as always. We were intent upon steak and frites plus cheese and it was all perfect, served by friendly and efficient staff. The upstairs room is lovely. Roll on next week!Special Features: