50 Long Lane
London, EC1A 9EJNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.morganm.com/
- Phone: 02076093560
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Fri: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, 6:00pm - 10:30pm Sat: 6:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Wine
A word from Morgan M
Morgan M restaurant has relocated from its Islington home, leaving locals there devastated, but workers and residents of Barbican jumping for joy. It is that rare thing – a cosy neighbourhood restaurant with a world class chef and outstanding French cuisine. Chef Morgan Meunier has designed a menu that encompasses both classic French techniques as well as more modern British ones, and the very best seasonal ingredients, exemplified by dishes like crayfish and lobster cannelloni with tarragon, Jerusalem artichoke soubise and shellfish cappuccino; or chicory tarte tatin with girolle veloute and parsley root puree. Diners can choose from an a la carte menu, or a six course seasonal menu with an option to include matched wines. Vegetarians are well catered for here, especially for a French restaurant; the six course menu is also available in a vegetarian version called ‘From the Garden’.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Morgan M reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since 2 June 2014
special occasions (2)good vegetarian options (2)fit for foodies (2)romance (1)business meals (1)pre/post theatre (1)Show More
- Restaurant was closed. WasHannahDined on 22/10/2013Restaurant was closed. Was able to book the place through toptable despite it being completely shut. The system doesn't work
- Restaurant closedhungrybunnyDined on 22/10/2013We booked this for Tuesday 22nd Oct, 6pm on the Top Table website - for a pre concert meal. But when we arrived the place was clearly SHUT, and showed no signs of opening that evening. We were disappointed as it seemed to be a place worth knowing, from the reviews.
- This was a curious mix ofDHammerVIPDined on 16/10/2013This was a curious mix of traditional French cooking that at the same time seemed modern.Special Features:
- Not appreciated enoughBobbimidnightDined on 12/10/2013One hoped that when Morgan M moved from darkest Islington, he would attract more custom. The restaurant was disappointingly not full on a Saturday night. It's hard to know why since the neighbouring Club Gascon still apparently is flourishing. I have never been to the latter without some complaint and no longer go. Morgan M in both venues has been uniformly excellent. The food is always delicious and imaginative, service friendly with the tables spaced well apart. This and soft furnishing makes the place much quieter than the average London eatery. I do hope more people will find their way to this excellent restaurant.Special Features:
- Amazing food, fantastic service,VegetarianHenDined on 4/10/2013Amazing food, fantastic service, and a lovely restaurant. The vegetarian tasting menu was exemplary. Wines complemented the food nicely. Love Morgan M - great place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- The following 272 reviews are from the Morgan M reviews archive.
- Morgan M - great food, poor serviceLizRVIPDined on 21/9/2013We love Morgan M's food and were tempted by the 10th anniversary dinner. The food was great but the service was very poor and quite stressed. There was a private party of 40 people downstairs and the staff obviously couldn't cope. We won't be back very soon.Special Features:
- Menu was outstanding value.IIFFVIPDined on 19/9/2013Menu was outstanding value. Food excellent. Service could be improved but depends on how much time you have. At lunch obviously it is more of an issue than at dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at Morgan MSimonDined on 29/8/2013Due to other committments we could only book this restaurant for lunch at 1400. As expected, the restaurant quickly emptied after about 1430 and we were left on our own. The staff were acceptable but not particularly friendly, wanting to prepare for the evening service. I suppose that's fair enough as we booked for such a late setting, but it wasn't conducive to a relaxing meal. The food, though, was exceptional with a great tasting menu and good supporting wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The summer tasting menu wasTharkDined on 25/7/2013The summer tasting menu was terrific. The staff made the evening move along and handled late arriving members of our party with aplomb. Well done. Said one at dinner: "I now have a favorite restaurant in London."I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real shameunfussyeaterDined on 11/7/2013Having been huge fans of Morgan M in its previous location (wonderful), we were pretty excited about going to the new(ish) place. Very disappointed. There were only 2 staff serving, who were often absent. One couple had to see themselves out (dig around in the cloak room) and we were surprised when the manager plugged in an iron at 10pm and started ironing table cloths. We laughed about it beacuse it was so far off where Morgan M used to be, you could scarely believe it. Food was (as ever) good, but sadly 2 courses (out of the Summer Tasting Menu) were average: we had to send one back as unable to eat. Standards have slipped badly, particularly as £190 bill for 2. Sad to say, but not going back and not reccomending to anyone. Sorry.
- Excellent, why don't more people goPabloPDined on 11/7/2013Wonderful summer tasting menu, most dishes hit home nicely, especially both deserts, with only couple of near misses. Overall extremely enjoyable, with some well matched wines. The only mystery is why more people don't go, it was relatively quiet even on a Thursday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite food, Michelin qualityQuinzenVIPDined on 28/6/2013I cannot recommend the food at Morgan M highly enough. We had the summer tasting menu and wolfed down every morsel. Simply stunning fois gras, quail and pork belly. Divine pre dessert of rice pudding with mango and a sublime souffle. The restaurant is small and warm, lovely toilets ( I know, I do like them to be on the same floor) and service is bang on. I would eat here once a week if waistline allowed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morgan M reviewSLC13Dined on 31/5/2013Great French style service and food. The atmosphere lacks a little something. I preferred it when it was located over in Islington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morgan M seasonal menu is a hitLizRVIPDined on 31/5/2013A change in the seasonal menu at Morgan M is always a treat. This time we experienced very fresh flavours and incredibly light cooking. Good value with the wine pairing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true bargainwondersnVIPDined on 24/5/2013It is really unusual to find cooking of quite this quality at such a good price. I did get the feeling that the room was designed for the business lunchers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealgoodfoodDined on 18/5/2013The food was amazing and we had really attentive service. I would definitely recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting MenuBryJoVIPDined on 9/5/2013Surprised if a Michelin Star isn't on the way. Excellent French cooking.Special Features:
- Morgan M - at SmithfieldPeteVIPDined on 30/4/2013Morgan M delivers great food at a price which is probably best suited for special occasions or business events. The restaurant seems to be much busier at lunchtime than in the evening which is probably also reflective of this fact. The tasting menu looked particularly good but we weren't hungry enough to manage that!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a great restaurantMarkEDined on 30/4/2013First visit since the restaurant moved a few years ago. We always used it for special occasions and it didn't let us down this time. Slightly quieter than I remembered (less clientele, less staff) but probably to be expected on a Tuesday evening. Food standard very high, accompanying wines excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Birthday DinneretandbtDined on 26/4/2013Outstanding food, food ambiance, attentive service and not annoying. It is actually relaxing to be there. What is there not to like! It is good value considering the overall quality. We will definitely go back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadly the night we went theremaudieVIPDined on 23/4/2013Sadly the night we went there was only one other table occupied. It deserves to be busier as the food is delicious.
- Morgan M - recommendedLizRVIPDined on 20/4/2013Such wonderful fresh food. Morgan M is a star, highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A taste of everythingVirginiaPVIPDined on 19/4/2013Morgan M's menu has too many good things to try on it. So we decide to go for the taster menu. A few dishes are good, a few of them are great. The mojette bean soup is round and sweet, truly a palate-teaser since it leaves me wanting more. Something more punchy. Crayfish and lobster cannelloni fit the bill perfectly, a raise the culinary agenda with a greater complexity of flavors. The meal, however, peaks with braised French-farmed rabbit brushed with mustard, with Swiss chard, spinach farfalle, and wild garlic jus. This dish delivers layers of depth and richness, but also a pungent bite that offers an excellent contrast to the game-y rabbit. After such a rich meal, pineapple souffle ends of the meal in sweetness and lightness.Special Features:
- WonderfulCharlieEatsDined on 12/4/2013Exceptional meal at Morgan M - food and service both excellent.Special Features:
- Client LunchRebeccaDined on 4/4/2013Good for a freindly client lunch. Food very good and they also have nice private dinning which is handy. Would send them back there again.Special Features:
- Lovely French foodoztravellerDined on 30/3/2013Wonderful service, amazingly friendly French food that actually works for all my vegetarian friends. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The meal was well roundedFoodie23Dined on 27/3/2013The meal was well rounded and delicious. The chef was sensible and thoughtful of our party's needs (nut allergy, vegetarian) and each course was excellent. I would return to Morgan M in a heartbeat. Our friend paid the bill, however, so not sure about the cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a stunning a la cartenewviewDined on 23/3/2013We had a stunning a la carte Saturday evening dinner. Morgan M desreves a Michelin star or twoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfect....00telperion00Dined on 28/2/2013Lovely meal and excellent service but having gone relatively early (6:30pm) on a Tuesday night it was somewhat lacking in atmosphere. We were the only table there for a while and one of only three by the time we left at 8:30pm. Not the staff's fault of course but perhaps some quiet background music would have lightened the experience. We were also told we must both order from the Toptable menu or both from the a la carte. Expecting a guest to order all from one menu for each person individually is understandable, but the restriction that both guests had to order from the same menu was a little inflexible, especially since the Toptable menu was somewhat on the sparse side. But the food was beautiful.
- Private lunch for twoRoundtableDined on 20/2/2013Excellent spacing of the small tables at front, ideal for a relaxed private conversation. Food delicious, with all those extra little touches - amuse bouche, good bread, pre-dessert, petit fours with the coffee. Wines were available by glass, carafe and bottle, so we had a glass of excellent champagne each, and my friend had a glass of sauvignon blanc to follow. We especially liked the mussell soup, fillet of Dover sole, slow-roasted wild boar and pina colada sorbet in brandy snap cup. Service friendly but unobtrusive. The bill at £113 was very reasonable for an excellent and enjoyable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing value tasting menuoztravellerDined on 11/2/2013Wonderful French food at very affordable prices. The changing seasonal menu (we had the winter) one was superbly presented, and tasted just wonderful. It's a shame that the restaurant was so empty on a Monday evening as it's tucked away behind Smithfields market.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morgan M - gemLizRVIPDined on 9/2/2013Detailed cooking with the finest of ingredients, matched by excellent wines. A very good dining experience. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable Haut CuisineanonnDined on 5/2/2013Always excellent and imaginative food. The tasting menu is good value.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysChiefslavoDined on 5/2/2013Morgan M keeps its excellent level - it is one of my favourite places among entry level Michelin restaurants. One thing worth working on a little is perhaps adding more positions to the middle of the wine list - there are some accessibly priced wines and some excellent wines at higher prices but the choice seems less varied in the £50-100 range.Special Features:
- Return to morgan mMehariDined on 30/1/2013We had enjoyed our meal at Morgan M in islington a few years ago and when we discovered he had opened near the barbican decided to book it for a birthday lunch. We enjoyed our meal just as much as the first time. The setting was very restful, the staff attentive and the food excellent, particularly the desserts. I would definitely recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visited Morgan M with threeoliviamDined on 28/1/2013Visited Morgan M with three friends on a wet Monday evening in January so this was probably the reason for there being very few other people there and a rather flat atmosphere. However, we wanted to talk so the quiet was welcome. We had all eaten at this restaurant's previous location in Liverpool Road and loved the food, although the atmosphere there was odd too. Three of us chose the Winter tasting menu and for the most part were not disappointed. The turnip soup with truffle oil was outstanding, the fish excellent and my partridge (pheasant?) very good indeed. However, the wild boar main course chosen by my two friends was completely tasteless. Desserts were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a special occasionVegetarianHenDined on 26/1/2013We went to Morgan M to celebrate the wedding of my cousin (12 guys in total). The service was lovely, from the moment we entered until we left. We had the tasting menu with matching wines. The wine choices were superb and complemented the food nicely. Would definitely recommend. The food was also very well presesnted and tasty. The desert let us down a bit, and none of us would recommend it, but the 5 preceding courses were fantastic. Overall, a good restaurant and one to go for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous French cuisinefabfood7Dined on 16/1/2013We had dined twice at the previous restaurant location. Our first time trying the new Barbican restaurant, we were not disappointed. A fabuous winter menu, all dishes cooked to perfection. The wild boar was flavoursome and melted in the mouth, and my partner certainly enjoyed his fillet of beef. The combination of flavours in all the dishes was amazing. Its not all about meat, either. The vegetarian "Garden Menu" looked very tempting. The service was polite. For top class food this is not outrageously expensive. The overall ambience of the restaurant was perhaps not as "welcoming" as the previous one. Something other than beige neutral tones may be better...but this is all irrelevant because the food is so excellent. We will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fantastic lunch time menuCanalManDined on 19/12/2012A fantastic lunch time menu, wonderfully prepared, almost faultless. Will be back for one of the evening menu's soon. The staff are still a tad too formal but hey!Special Features:
- good food, not good value!andyDined on 10/12/2012We had the set menu here - two courses at £26.50 + a nice bottle of wine at £25 - the meal came to exactly £100 with the service charge. The food is very good and extremely tasty but there is not a great deal of it. It is well presented but you get big plates with little food! The City may be expensive but there are lots of restaurants, pubs round the same area which give far better value. A more substantial and just as tasty meal at the Fence, some 200 yards away, costs about half.Special Features: