45 Great Queen Street
London, WC2B 5AANeighbourhood:
IndianPrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.motimahal-uk.com/
- Phone: 02072409329x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday lunch: 12pm - 3pm
Monday - Saturday dinner: 5:30pm - 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Anirurdh Arora
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We love catering for parties and special events. Email us at: email@example.com and we'll take the hard work off your hands.
- Special Events: Lunch offer: £16 Tiffin Lunch. Our tasty pre and post theater menu is £23 and includes a signature cocktail.
A word from Moti Mahal
Moti Mahal is the chic London outpost of the celebrated Delhi restaurant which opened in 1959. ‘An unexpected delight’ (Harden’s guide). Inspired by the culinary roots of North India's Grand Trunk Road; Chef Anirudh Arora has created time honored dishes and recipes, by accentuating new tastes and flavors from India's richly woven history, the new menu at Moti Mahal is a feast for the senses.Continued
Attentive service and casual, elegant surroundings; the ideal treat before or after any show in the West End.
Attentive service and casual, elegant surroundings; the ideal treat before or after any show in the West End.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Moti Mahal - Best restaurants in Covent Garden ›
Moti Mahal reviews from OpenTable diners
180 reviews since 20 October 2013
special occasions (75)fit for foodies (68)business meals (66)pre/post theatre (55)good vegetarian options (55)romance (42)group bookings (20)sunday lunch (5)outstanding value (5)outdoor eating (3)child friendly (3)afternoon tea (2)brunch (2)Show More
- Pre theatre menuAngelDined on 16/10/2014Though the staff try to encourage customers to the main menu the pre theatre option if fantastic value. The quality is outstanding and portions very generous. Staff are very helpful and friendly and explain the menu to new clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 15/10/2014I was presented with a complimentary DIY salad whih we had to cut and dress ourselves which was a surprising but enjoyable experience. We probably over ordered by 1 dish but otherwise the food was satisfying with particular reference to the butter chicken. The service was good, it was a relief that the chef was indian as nobody else in the restaurant was. When the bill came we were both very surprised that without dessert or alcohol it was £140 which is quite ridiculous so value for money, I'd say is very poor. On top of that, we had been charged a cover. When i asked the manager, he said it was for the salad which we were initially told was complimentary. Thankfully he did remove it.
- Amazing food but very expensivefoodmoleDined on 4/10/2014A lovely restaurant with a lovely calm atmosphere. The staff were extremely attentive but not over the top and we're very knowledgeable about the menu. Having said all this it was incredibly expensive at £125 for 2 people 2 courses each and a small glass of wine each but it was for a 25th birthday and was a lovely meal so I might one day go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty 'taster menu'HappydaysDined on 30/9/2014Another great meal. The new taster menu is excellent; lighter and different tastes.Special Features:
- Tasty food, friendly serviceThecookiemonsterDined on 26/9/2014Had the pre theatre special, food was excellent, very tasty indeed, a mixture of beef, chicken and lamb dishes with some very nice starters.Special Features:
- Great food in a lovely settingJimBDined on 16/9/2014Previously tried to just turn up for a table but you need a reservation. Ambience is lovely. Tables are not too close together which permits a level of intimacy. Food is lovely but be aware that the menu doesn't indicate the level of heat in each dish so if in doubt or if you prefer something milder then you will ned to ask. Service was very good - not fussy or overly attentive. However, the cost is on the higher side than many restaurants in the Covent Garden area. I've been before and wouldn't hesitate to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- discover new dishesSnowbirdDined on 15/9/2014Living in France we miss good Indian food. This surpassed our expectations with the taster menus, one veggie and one non-veggie. both were excellent. Packing a lot into our visit to London we were able to enjoy this delicious meal and still be in time for the Theatre. Will definitely visit again and recommend to UK based friends and family.Special Features:
- Good indian in theater districtFitzDined on 13/9/2014We had the pretheater special at 23 pounds . Food was excellent and service great.Special Features:
- Excellent...WatsontheredDined on 11/9/2014Went on recommendation and was completely delighted . The service was excellent , friendly , helpful and well informed . The menu was interesting but very clear and not overly engineered . Loved the cheese naan which was unusual , not convinced by the monkfish but that was purely personal. Would go again and would recommend.Special Features:
- Good but too expensivePhionaDined on 5/9/2014Loved the Nan, loved the lentils side dish anclose staff were very informed and attentive (bit too much for me but my companions liked the attention. The masala chai was really good. I work very close by and I intend to go and have a cup of tea with nan and lentils once a week. I would not go back quickly for a main meal, although good the cost is too high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menu ...Duchess69Dined on 21/8/2014Four of us had the tasting menu and it was excellent. We could not fault it. The restaurant was busy but there was no delay in the food service. However, our gin and tonics, which we ordered at the beginning of the meal, we're very slow,to arrive at the table so that we had no time to drink them before the food began to be served. However, this is a minor criticism and we will certainly go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious authentic Indian cuisineLesB66Dined on 21/8/2014Delicious and authentic Indian cuisine that was very well prepared and presented. Particularly liked their initial table offering of making your own salad from the raw ingredients and spices provided. Will rebook for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A stunning assault on the tastebudsMurraysDined on 20/8/2014As ever, Moti Mahal did not disappoint. Truly, the flavours are just not describable. If you think you know Indian food - you don't until you try Moti Mahal. They do great cocktails too! We had the trio of chicken from the grill as a shared starter - each chunk of chicken had a distinct and wonderful flavour. Amazing! For the mains we shared the butter chicken and the lamb shank accompanied by the lentils and pilau rice/naan. The meat dishes were, again, distinct in their tastes and extremely enjoyable. They were rich so you fill up quickly. We couldn't go onto deserts! We love this place and it was my wife's birthday treat to go again. The only down side is that it is NOT at all cheap. Budget for at least £60 per head.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Indian food!MurkaDined on 18/8/2014Varied, excellent Idian food. Particularly good for vegetarians and for pre threatre dining.Special Features:
- Saturday DinnerKLofRH2Dined on 9/8/2014An excellent meal and catered well for our no gluten, no dairy no meat needs without any fuss. Excellent tasty food well presented. The waiting staff were very frriendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Really enjoyed our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious again!MandJDined on 5/8/2014We have eaten here at least 6 times and have never been disappointed. Lovely food again - had the cocktail and 3 course meal for £23 offer. Will always returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodHungrymanDined on 5/8/2014I had heard of Moti Mahal and its excellent reputation for outstanding food and service. I was not disappointed. I had the very reasonably priced Tiffin meal - which was extremely tasty, varied and plentiful (which is no easy win given my normally large appetite). Service was spot on - didnt feel rushed. I took my parents and they too were glowing in their feedback - again not easy given the high bar expected by native indian's! Well done MM - we will be back.Special Features:
- regulardinerDined on 24/7/2014We enjoyed our meal but overall both the food and drinks were expensive. The service was rushed but attentive.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceParty44Dined on 23/7/2014First time here and must say very impressed. Had lunch tiffin offer for £16 which was amazing value otherwise likely to be too expensive for regular dinners would go back for a special occasion when I'm wiling to pay moreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AngelDined on 14/7/2014This restaurant consistently offers excellent food and during the pre-theatre time excellent value . The service is courteous, helpful and efficient. Colleagues I have taken there usually go back!!!Special Features:
- Ideal IndianFinalFridayCurryBoysDined on 27/6/2014Sensational food. Spiced to perfection. Friendly staff, not overly attentive. Stylish decor. Very pricey but careful sharing of the portions will work.Special Features:
- Fantastic foodLm1985Dined on 21/6/2014Outstanding food, great service. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentLazynativeDined on 20/6/2014Excellent as always but need to work on delivering either better value for money or better deals as the menu is probably the priciest Indian in London at the moment, worth it but only just.
- MJB496MJB496Dined on 14/6/2014Excellent quality, friendly and knowledgable staff. Perhaps a bit on pricey side but then this is Central London!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beats your average curry by milesAnnaBDined on 14/6/2014I would definitely recommend this to Indian cuisine lovers, even if it is pricey. Moti Mahal have fine-dining to a tee and an amazing cocktail bar (cucumber G+T anyone?) It's in a brilliant location near the centre of Covent Garden and an open kitchen keeps it modern and interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A superb dining experiencebb737Dined on 14/6/2014Moti Mohal provides a superb fine dining experience. The food is top class with flavours combinations that deliver a really delightful gastronomic experience. The staff were friendly and attentive and give you sufficient information about the food and drinks so you can make informed choices. The ambience is relaxing and other parties who had children seemed to be well accommodated. I will be visiting again for other special occasion since the prices are a tad too high for this restaurant to be my regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant ExperienceTheFoodMonsterDined on 11/6/2014This was my very first time eating Indian out (besides the buffet places, which don't truly count). Having not been a massive fan of Indian I have to say I did enjoy my experience. Everything served in front of me was not only palatable but very delicious. The restaurant was a perfect setting for a romantic evening with my girlfriend for our anniversary. I did feel that the drinks menu was quite lacking as it catered more to the wine and champagne. No touch options for anything else. Although the portion sizes are good I feel that for the amount we paid the restaurant is a little bit on the pricey side. However, you are paying for great service and good food in the heart of London. The staff are very attentive so no complaints at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchHappydaysDined on 11/6/2014We had an excellent, relaxed lunch. Food was outstanding with some great wine.Special Features:
- MotimahalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014Had a nice evening meal here. The service was excellent, the free indian salad was a nice touch. However the portions were very small and the meal was expensive for what we hadSpecial Features:
- Wineseller71WineSeller785Dined on 6/6/2014We took party of seven there, including three restaurant-savvy children. Food, though a little on the pricey side, was excellent. As we often do, we ordered many dishes to share and ate until full. Service was attentive and dishes were coursed with perfect timing. Will certainly return. And unlike a certain longtime Indian restaurant in Piccadilly, kids ARE treated like guests here and are not required be out of the dining room by 8pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodAllenDined on 29/5/2014Service good maybe a bit too much attention from staff, food excellent however over priced @ nearly £150 for two peopleSpecial Features:
- good food service lackingChrisChanDined on 19/5/2014food was excellent but the restaurant appears understaffed and service was slow and unresponsive.Special Features:
- DisappointingCurriloversDined on 16/5/2014We were really looking forward to something special and very tasty but despite the hype, the actual dishes were hot without being spicy and with only one exception, mundane. Of three Indian meals this weekend , this was the most expensive and the worst by far!
- Great Food, OverpricedmprasselDined on 16/5/2014Moti Mahal was recommended to me by a colleage. I was taking a group of people here and some of them have never eaten Indian food before. Everyone loved the food but were quite shocked by the bill. Definitely should have done some research before going.Special Features:
- One of worst Indian restuarantsKoushikaDined on 9/5/20141) Menu choices - There is no good choices of food. But, they have lot of cocktail and wine collection. There is a tasting menu option Veg - £45, Non-Veg - £55. The food was bland and mediocre. There are lot of tasty indian take aways outside. After you place the order, they give some whole vegetables ( 2 tomatoes, bunch of radish, some green leaves) and they it is a complimentary. 2) They served papdi chat with the tasting menu. Actually, the chef need to learn how to make papdi chat. They dipped 2 piece vada in yogurt and call it as papdi chat. Horrible. 3) Finally the bill arrived for £110 with £2 extra charges. When questioned, the waiter said it is as per the company policy. The Worst Indian restaurant.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014We were visiting London from the States and this lovely restaurant was recommended to us by a friend who had dined recently. Upon arrival, we were seated at a very small and not overly comfortable table for two. We noticed a table set for 6 infront of a window and about 30 minutes later the table was split into a table for 2 and table for 4. We asked to move to the table for two and they were extremely gracious and helped us make the change. We had a wonderful evening of outstanding food, outstanding service and a terrific bottle of wine. I highly recommended this restaurant and look forward to an opportunity to visit once again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely NOT a curry house...absgtDined on 2/5/2014I visited Moti Mahal with my partner for a pre-theatre meal. We chose the £23 for three courses plus a house cocktail offer. The service was a very attentive and helpful - we informed them of our deadline to exit and they accelerated the meal to accommodate us. A DIY Indian salad came first (very interesting, too salty) followed by a chaat dish (slightly too creamy) and a chicken tikka (again, too salty) which were both very tasty. Main courses of lamb (rich and tender) and prawns (spicy and juicy) were served with delightful rice and the best naan bread. Buttery, light, soft without a hint of greasiness - absolutely perfect. We didn't have time for the third course but still got good value for money!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menu with matching wineshereforthedayDined on 1/5/2014My wife and I had lunch at Moti Mahal for our wedding anniversary. It was fabulous...all round. We shared both the vegetarian and non-vegetarian tasting menu with matching wines. It was some of the finest indian food we have every eaten.Special Features:
- Great placeDineDined on 28/4/2014Great place, good atmosphere, good for client dinners.Special Features:
- Not cheap !WhufclubDined on 26/4/2014BUT... If you want the freshest of fresh, the nicest blends of beautiful Indian flavours without being belted by chilli, oil,and colouring then this is for you.... BUT at a price ! We loved it !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.