Newman Street Tavern
43 Newman Street
London, W1T 1QQNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
Newman Street Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.newmanstreettavern.co.uk/
- Phone: 020 3667 1445
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12pm - 10pm
Saturday: 10.30am -10.30pm
Sunday: 10:30am - 4.30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: Peter Weeden
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Newman Street Tavern
Newman Street Tavern will be serving elegant British food, using the best seasonal, specialist and wild produce from around the UK in our Tavern and beautiful dining room. We will be serving the very finest British shellfish, the best free range quails & chickens, properly hung game, unparalleled day boat fish from the Helford under 10m fleet, beautiful vegetables and herbs, not to mention wild produce at its peak. Our wines come from small producers who share our values of excellence and integrity in their product, and our ever changing regional ales will share the bar with a classic cocktail list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSunday Lunch
Newman Street Tavern - Best restaurants in Oxford Circus ›
Newman Street Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
210 reviews since 23 November 2013
fit for foodies (93)business meals (62)sunday lunch (59)brunch (47)group bookings (46)special occasions (36)romance (32)pre/post theatre (27)outstanding value (14)good vegetarian options (10)child friendly (9)disabled access (3)outdoor eating (3)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- Rather ordinaryMargDined on 8/11/2014We ate here last year for a birthday celebration and really enjoyed the food. We returned this year and sadly we were very disappointed. The service was excellent and the staff marvellous but we all agreed the food was disappointing. I can only assume the chef who cooked last year has gone
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/10/2014I had high hopes for Sunday lunch at the Newman Street Tavern but in short, the service was lacklustre and the food was overpriced vs. portion size. All Sunday roasts are advertised as "served with veg and dripping roast potatoes" but only potatoes were served with ours; when we asked the waitress if the veg was coming, she seemed surprised that we expected veg with the roast dinner and said she would bring some over. Ten minutes later, by which time my guest had nearly finished her meal, some carrots and sprouting broccoli arrived. Thankfully we were not charged for this "extra" veg. The wine was good value and there was a nice atmosphere for a Sunday afternoon but I think I will be sticking to the Dean Street Townhouse in future.
- Great food but slow servicenikkiDined on 24/10/2014My husband and I went for dinner on a Friday evening and its a place I've wanted to visit as I walk past it everyday to and from work. The food cannot be faulted, however, we were disappointed by the slow service. We waited over 25 minutes for a wine menu (despite the waiter mentioning he'd bring one when he sat us) and even longer to order food - trying to call the staff over wasn't possible as no one was around or making eye contact!) The food we received was lovely but we had a long wait between courses which was surprising as it wasn't very busy. Service was so slow that when we ordered pudding I asked for the bill and had to ask a further three times before we got it. Great food but the service really did let the restaurant down!
- Excellent pub foodDutchreviewerDined on 24/10/2014We chose this pub for the promise of good pub food , we found out that they went to great lenght to service us and our chuldren.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely restaruantDLR44Dined on 23/10/2014pre-theatre meal last week, very knowledgeable and helpful staff - I have gluten and lactose intolerances. Manager was very helpful, knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wish it was fantasticswannyDined on 23/10/2014I wish this was better than it is, but the food promises a lot and under-delivers. I keep thinking that I got an off day, but it seems to consistently have off days. A shame as I'm really going to have to find somewhere else. Cocktails were good though.
- MaGlDined on 21/10/2014Excellent food in characteristic ambience, good British cooking
- Great placemeateaterDined on 18/10/2014Went there for the second time today. Ambience amazing, food was great. As with before, service was great but clearly under staff. Would go again but probably try and prevent peak hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasantpagreenDined on 18/10/2014Excellent English food. My partridge in bread sauce was superb but pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice dining room up-stairsJannickDined on 30/9/2014Warm atmosphere, nice decor and an excellent service... we'll return soon !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunday brunch at the restaurantBrad81Dined on 28/9/2014I visited The Tavern on Sunday morning. The service was first class and the food complimented this. I would recommend people to go from 11:30am onwards to get a feel for the vibe and ambience of the TavernSpecial Features:
- KKutchinskyDined on 26/9/2014Service was truly awful, nice waiter but he just ignored us completely, twenty minutes for our drinks to come and an hour before any food. I feel like bei g sat upstairs meant we were ignored and I wouldn't be back, despite good food.
- We will keep returning.JMfoodDined on 25/9/2014The seasonal nature of the menu is highly commendable. The short rib of beef i had was slow-cooked, gelatinous heaven. Everything, as per, was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gone DownhillCeeBeeVIPDined on 19/9/2014Having been to the Newman Street Tavern before, I thought this would be ideal for dinner with a friend and their Dad. However, I arrived to find our table in the bustling and noisy ground floor area. Did manage to move to an upstairs table but was told I should have requested this when I booked (wasn't aware they now did dining downstairs). The service was polite but our mains were brought out and then taken back as our starters hadn't yet been cleared away. The food was OK but not as good as previous visits and was overpriced for the portion size, especially as most mains didn't come with potatoes/veggies etc.Special Features:
- very nice, pretty room, good foodJD11Dined on 17/9/2014The restaurant upstairs is very pretty, tables not too crowded, plenty of windows. Food is british traditional with special emphasis on super ingredients. Service friendly but haphazard - one waiter superenthusiastic, other one not interested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGon205Dined on 9/9/2014There was a private party upstairs, so had to dine downstairs which wasn't a problem. Mackerel on toast always a fave starter with me. Chose squid with chilli as main course and despite the meal being excellent, think I chose badly - the seafood platter that my guest was tucking into looked better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Think I've found a new localmouthfulDined on 7/9/2014Excellent Sunday lunch. I hesitated over beef because a good Yorkshire pud is a rare find; I'm coming back for the roast beef next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday nightGeeDDined on 28/8/2014We ate upstairs, first in at 7pm but it filled up quickly. Courses are fairly sized but you need the sides, I had the pork chop which was delicious but lacked a carb companion. Chocolate bar desserts are a first.Special Features:
- Can't beat the serviceAhandsomemanDined on 27/8/2014The food was excellent but the waitress and manageress were truly world class. They made a real effort and as a consequence we had a very special evening.Special Features:
- Good, but hire more staff!LondongirlDined on 21/8/2014Nice bar, really nice and enthusiastic staff, but just in short supply!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodJHD777Dined on 20/8/2014Had dinner here with a group of colleagues on a week evening and it was a really good experience. The food and service was excellent. The food isn't cheap but the quaity is excellent and therefore worth the extra cost. It is a really friendly pub with lovely attentive staff and great decor. This is a relaxed place to dine and it was very busy. I would definitely eat here again and can't wait to make my next booking.Special Features:
- mixed...TeeCeeDined on 20/8/2014Newman Street Tavern is a delightful place that feels like an old loyal friend who lives by the sea, has a zest for life and nature's beautiful simplicity. I have eaten here on a couple of occasions, and it has a lovely stylish yet unpretentious and unassuming ambience and decor. On this occasion however, the food delivered mixed results; the Sole ordered by my host was excellent....the classic Fish & Chips that I ordered (and which came highly recommended by the waitress) was disappointing. I had expected something more refined and stylishly prepared, but there was too much batter, not enough fish - and with so-so chips. But will give it another go. Also the lunch express value option much too limited in choice.Special Features:
- Delicious Sunday Roast8lettersukDined on 17/8/2014Walked past this place so often without really noticing it - thanks to open table booked for Sunday Lunch and very glad we did. It was amazing. Lovely roast beef and amazing brown crab on toast as an appetiser. Might be our new Sunday lunch spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening outfoodnfunDined on 12/8/2014Great atmosphere. Excellent food and portion sizes. The only niggle was that there seemed to be too few members of staff, hence it took ages to be served. Other than that, would definitely recommend and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, small menudinerVIPDined on 6/8/2014Newman Street Tavern is a great restaurant (come posh gastro pub) serving rich english food. We really like it here but you have to be in the mood for their menu. I sometimes think we would return more often if there was a wider range of food available.Special Features:
- interestingAndyDined on 5/8/2014Nice, traditional, british pub, but with a very decent wine selection and interesting menu. Can't quite put my finger on it, but they are definitely offering a slightly different experience from normal gastropub.Special Features:
- One of only a few in the west end!deehackneyDined on 5/8/2014Despite coming for after work drinks a few times, last night was the first we stayed for dinner. The reward was way above average gastropub fare: incredible cheeses, excellent fish and seafood. A knock-out salad of tomatoes with marinated Graceburn and another dish of ray with a warm cucumber and creme fraiche salad were surprise highlights. Service by newbie manager Freddie and his team was super-friendly, assured and attentive but never intrusive. It's rare to find a spot like this in such a central locationSpecial Features:
- Newman St Tavern spot on againBazzaDined on 5/8/2014I stumbled on Newman around a year ago having a Middle East customer staying around the corner from it. As it was late we called in and sampled the food, it was outstanding. The fish and shellfish courses were so fresh and tasty that my Middle East client insists on going here everytime. We returned again on Tuesday and once again left completely happy. I look forward to going again with other clients and friends. Cannot recommend the sea food platter enough, the cockles were so tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunch not as expectedDinerDined on 3/8/2014I visited this restaurant with a group of friends for Sunday lunch. The restaurant seems to be trying to put a modern twist on Sunday lunch, which did not really work. For example, my roast chicken came in a sauce of onions, tomatoes and samphire (!) rather than with gravy and the usual veg. The food was lukewarm and did not give the impression of being freshly cooked. One of our group had the full English breakfast, which was more successful, but some items were a bit overcooked. The wine list is strangely categorised, e.g. "Mountains and Volcanoes" (?) "Stone" (?), and the wines are expensive.Special Features:
- Try the Seafood !MJCrackersDined on 31/7/2014Excellent and fresh seafood and salad options. My half crab starter was outstanding and my partner's herring salad vast and full of fresh and well sourced ingredients. Mains also great, roast beef was superb, cooked rare and extremely flavoursome, and the Marlin filet well executed. The staff were all round wonderful, from the warm welcome in pub downstairs to the friendly and efficient upstairs dining room service from our lovely waiter and waitress. Good selection of wines by the glass and great value fizz. Several notches above the average gastro pub and recommended for pre-theatre meals and foodies.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 30/7/2014Great shellfish platter followed by enormous Dover sole available 'off menu', amazing quality. Highly recommended if you want quality ingredients cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a lovely retreatlesleyDined on 16/7/2014The upstairs dining room is a peaceful escape from the traffic congestion below. The service could not have been more helpful or knowledgeable and the food was lovely. Also supported by a good wine list and a real ale on draft.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice pub-like with excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 14/7/2014It seems a pub with an upstairs dining room, but the decor is nice and they serve excellent food. The meat portions, though, are rather small for the price they charge (Filet: £26). The service is attentive. Expect to pay at least £50 per head for an appetizer, a main and a dessert, coupled with a low-priced wine bottle (to share).Special Features:
- neatneetsDined on 8/7/2014Nice ambience and attentive staff. The pork scratchings with apple sauce, crispy and tasted just right.I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice surprisemmmtDined on 5/7/2014Been meaning to try this place out after driving past it so many times. We were pleasantly surprised with the generous servings of food and value for money. Dishes were nicely prepared and service very friendly from a couple of french waitresses.Special Features:
- Great Weekend lunch/brunch venueTocsyDined on 29/6/2014Excellent Bloody Marys, very good Sunday lunch with lots of potatoes. The spicy cauliflower side dish was really delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, ambience and service okMDavisDined on 27/6/2014Newman Street was a bit disappointing for us on our trip to London last week. The food was good but "funky." Not exactly clear what kind of restaurant this wants to be. My kids had eaten Fish & Chips all week in London and this was the first one they had tried that was literally full of fish bones. We weren't warned when we ordered it and when we sent it back our waiter was visibly upset with us because he had recommended it to us. All around not a great experience in a city where there are a lot of better places to dine.
- Great breakfastAlexBDined on 25/6/2014A lovely spot for breakfast - really nice main room, a lot more character than the average. The Newman breakfast is a meat feast - highly recommend. All the usual yogurt and healthy stuff available as well. Nice fresh OJ also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I like this place.dontdonicknamesDined on 20/6/2014From the welcoming smile as you enter to the good service when seated to the good food, what is there to complain about. Always have a good time at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyFoodieVIPDined on 9/6/2014Newman street Tavern was simply lovely. The service was excellent. The food was a little over-priced, but I do recommend the brisket...reminded me of being in the states. The water jugs are a very cute touch. Will certainly return.Special Features: