1st Floor,Royal Lancaster Hotel
London, W2 2TYNeighbourhood:
ThaiPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.niparestaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 02075516039x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Nipa Thai
In the Royal Lancaster Hotel, the Nipa Thai restaurant has been named after the original Nipa Restaurant in the Landmark Hotel in Bangkok. Lots of teak panelling, traditional Thai furnishings and artefacts lend an authentic air. All the staff dressed in traditional Thai costume are from Thailand - even the lady chefs. This authentic Thai restaurant is one of the first 15 recipients of the 'Thai Select' award - this award has been described as being the first ever Michelin-style award for Thai restaurants proven to be performing to the highest standards of quality and cuisine, and is awarded by the Thai Government. We think this award sums up Nipa Thai rather nicely. What's cooking? Kai Haw Bai Toey - deep fried marinated chicken in pandanus leaves, Kaeng Kiew Warn Kai - chicken in green curry soup, also recommended the Nipa platter - a selection of the chef's special Thai starters.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nipa Thai reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since 25 October 2013
special occasions (17)romance (10)business meals (9)fit for foodies (7)group bookings (6)good vegetarian options (5)outstanding value (3)disabled access (3)pre/post theatre (1)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- Annerversary at the NIPAVMagDined on 26/7/2014We couldn't fault the service and the food, but being a hotel restaurant it does lack a little atmosphere and is slightly punchy on the wallet. If you want a peaceful, quality Thai meal and your happy to spend some cash then it's a perfect option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nipa ThaiferngibDined on 24/5/2014Nipa Thai is on the 1st floor of the Lancaster Lancaster Terrace Hotel. First impressions were good: the restaurant had a modern, stylish feel with elegant Thai staff. It took a little while before we were approached with a menu and asked for drinks that seemed to set the tone for the night: the service was a little slow perhaps due to a lack of staff. The food however could not be faulted. My wife's lamb massaman curry in particular was excellent. It was slightly pricey at just over £50 per head but then the restaurant is in a hotel in the centre of London.Special Features:
- Elegant Thai restaurant, Nipa ThaiMN58Dined on 22/5/2014I chose this restaurant, as my friend was staying at the hotel above. I was also encouraged by good review. We both love Thai food. On the day, we had a warm welcome, and we were impressed by lovely scent(verbena?) and beautiful table setting. Unlike some review, the portion was not small, at all! We ordered two starters and two mains, plus drink, for two hungry women, and it was far too much and we asked for a doggy bag. The beef salad, was spicy and delicious, and fish cake was also good, served with their own made sauce. Phad Thai was a bit disappointing, tasting of tomato ketchup. Yellow curry was good but have too much potato for us. Not a cheap dinner, but it would be good for a special dinner in central London.Special Features:
- Overall pricingVesteraabyDined on 13/5/2014No or limited signage - I was having great difficulties in finding the restaurant/entrance. Whilst I enjoyed the dinner with my business contact/friend, who stayed at your hotel, I thought the service, price of wines and cost of sidedishes were overrated/overpriced. This is an observation, which I will bear in mind. I can therefore not 'recommend' your restaurant to colleagues/business contacts/ friends, but it was conveniently located and we enjoyed the evening.Special Features:
- Great service, location and foodtom000Dined on 7/5/2014My partner and I were in London for a short business trip and used Opentable to find somewhere within walking distance. We were seated at a table at a window over looking Hyde park with views of the Italian garden. The food was delicious, portion sizes were good and the service was commendable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Thai cuisinedrendpDined on 12/4/2014We had the more mainstream dishes you would expect in a 'normal' Thai restaurant and they were very good indeed. Nice ambience and service too.Special Features:
- A pretty as it is tastyVirginiaPVIPDined on 7/4/2014I'm not usually the biggest fan of hotel restaurants, but Nipa is an exception to this rule. This plush, quiet, beautiful space deserves a visit, and it's worth asking to be sat next to the floor to ceiling window, with a formidable view of the park. The food is consistently good from start to finish. My only niggle is with the fish cakes we have as part of our sharing starter, which (in typical Thai restaurant style) are slightly shiny and chewy. Apart from this, the meal is a string of successes, the best part of which is the mixed seafood green coconut curry, mopped up with a side of steamed rice with coconut milk and pandan leaves. Banana fritters for dessert are indulgent, sweet and salty. Lucky the residents of this hotel!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Thai food in a niceKfiakkasDined on 27/3/2014Excellent Thai food in a nice atmosphere with good service!Special Features:
- The food was a little overLikeToDineVIPDined on 7/3/2014The food was a little over priced. The staff were a little unhelpful because they were busy. Drinks took too long to arrive. But the food was amazing.Special Features:
- Good but expensiveYiannisDined on 21/2/2014This restaurant is located in a fancy hotel in the Paddington area and this is reflected in the prices. The atmosphere was good and most of the staff were polite and quick. The food was good but I cannot say it blows your mind. It is expensive and I would only go back there if I wanted to impress someone. Otherwise, I would pick a Thai place somewhere else.Special Features:
- Tasty food, service was greatColinDined on 9/2/2014some of the tastiest Thai food in London. 300% better than typical Thai takeout restaurants
- A warm pleasant Thai experiencedomyyDined on 31/1/2014Good quality authentic food, pleasant ambience and friendly service.Special Features:
- food was pleasant and furnishingsChampagne42VIPDined on 26/12/2013food was pleasant and furnishings very comfortable. service was friendly and well meaning but lacked professionalism, food and drinks arrived haphazardly. we were not asked if we had a reservation. we had, through top table. the London restaurant scene has moved on so much, Nipa should take note and address the things that let it down somewhat.Special Features:
- Thai with charmbigmunchyDined on 5/12/2013Unlike many Thai restaurants Nipa really does offer amazing surroundings and directly adjacent to Hyde Park so complimented by great views. First class service and a great atmosphere plus a very broad selection of choice on the menu. Naturally the dessert course left a lot to be desired bu that is normal in a Thai venue. Highly recommended for a special occasion of those who love quality Thai cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBollingerDined on 2/12/2013Three of us had one of the set meals.quality and variety was very good and though there were three very hungry individuals eating ,we found that there was more than enough and actually failed to eat everything.the ambiance was extremely pleasant and the food was very authentic. We particularly enjoyed the mixed starters and the ample prawns in two of the main dishes. The staff were all very courteous and made us feel very welcomed. Will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningPhillipPDined on 15/11/2013We had a lovely dinner at Nipa on a surprisingly quiet Friday evening. The service was excellent, the food was nicely cooked and beautifully presented. I know this is London but still found the prices a bit over the top for what was served.Special Features:
- Dinner at NipaSB87Dined on 6/11/2013This was booked for a birthday occasion and it was perfect. The menu was extensive, great view overlooking Hyde Park and service was spot on. The restaurant is within lancaster gate hotel, and the decor is stunning.Special Features:
- OutstandingGauchoDined on 2/11/2013Felt very welcome. Great customer service, lovely ambiance. The waiters got very excited when they learnt I planned to propose, they were very helpful with creating a romantic setting. The food was great, went with Set menu 2. It was good value for money. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- The following 191 reviews are from the Nipa Thai reviews archive.
- Very good Asian food!KeesDined on 21/10/2013Great service, good food! Original Asian food, everybody Will find something he likes in the menu. Value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ambience but too priceyAndrew4diningDined on 11/10/2013Lovely decor and ambience. Good starters and main dishes. Massaman curry delicious - we ordered a second portion! Desserts far too expensive. Overall too pricey for what you get. Not sure how soon I'll be going back, although we did enjoy the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great very friendly service,diner1000Dined on 12/9/2013great very friendly service, the food was very tasty indeed. Our table by the window was ovelooking the park which was a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upmarket thai restaurantJohnMDined on 24/8/2013great food, exciting menu, tasteful decor but lacks buzz and atmosphere, has a staid stuffiness which suits some of the other diners we saw. Would go again with an offer, otherwise premium prices would only be fair value rather than good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- May be the best thai food in LondonSusanCVIPDined on 17/8/2013We've lived in London for 4 years and have tried nearly all the thai restaurants in central London. I think we've found our favourite: Nipa Thai! Their menu is fairly traditional, but they do it right. All our food was properly seasoned and beautifully presented. After living in Asia for many years, Nipa Thai is the closest cuisine to what we experienced Thailand. No need for us to try another thai restaurant; we'll be returning to Nipa from now on.Special Features:
- Quality Thai food in lovely settingSuggulDined on 16/8/2013Second visit to Nipa. The dining room is quite small, but has a lovely ambiance, with tables well spaced out and tastefully decoration. The waiting staff are very polite and knowledgeable. The food is generally of a very good standard. The menu is typical traditional Thai, but consistently well cooked and flavoured. Only criticism would be of the crab spring rolls, which were overdone and had barely any crab. Dessert of caramel and lychee parfait with salted caramel ice cream was a highlight. Surprisingly original and inventive for such a traditional menu. The restaurant is not cheap - the bill for the above + 3 thai iced teas came to £40/head. However, it is one of the better Thai restaurants I have been to in London, so worth the extra.Special Features:
- Great food, service sometimes slowPatrickDDined on 22/7/2013The food was very good and had an authentic taste to it that I would not expect in a hotel restaurant. My panang dish was top notch and was cooked with fresh kaffir lime leaves. Our other dishes were tasty as well. The staff were very friendly and the service was good until the restaurant was busy. The drinks were a little on the pricy side. Thai beer and wine appears quickly from the restaurant but other drinks have to be retrieved from the outside bar and take a lot longer. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack of attentionNeilDined on 13/7/2013We were the first people in the restsurant, it soon. Started to fill at first were served quickly but after it got busy we were waiting for empty plates to leave table & dispute trying to attract attention they were clearly more interested in the bigger tables. They need more attention and to act quicker without customers having to sit there with empty plates or having to wait for service.
- Nice...but had betterfoodieVIPDined on 14/6/2013Nipa is a nice restaurant. Well decorated and nice location overlooking Hyde Park. The food however, was hit and miss. The soft shell crab was extremely oily and the "very spicy" red curry wasnt that hot. There were some lovely dishes that saved the day such as the garlic prawns and the soy marinated beef. Service was extremely slow despite the supposed 2 hour turnaround and the fact that it was quiet. If you come here, expect to pay for the location and ambiance rather than for good quality, delicious food.
- OKNickDined on 7/6/2013Great location, lovely room, but no ambience. Even from the windows "overlooking Hyde Park", you can only see the trees bordering the park, and the traffic on the road in between. But the food and the service were really very good.Special Features:
- Best Thai restaurant in London?Andrew4diningDined on 7/6/2013Wonderful atmosphere with lovely views over Hyde Park. Staff were outstandingly charming and attentive. Food was excellent. One of our party had her birthday that day and she was treated to a wonderful selection of 'birthday cakes' at the end of our meal. Delicious! At around £120 for three, I thought the meal wa good value. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Thai foodGaryDined on 21/5/2013While excellent Indian restaurants are plentiful in London, the same is not true of Thai. But Nipa is truly exceptional. A full menu of choices with excellent preparation. The restaurant is in the Lancaster Hotel, and is modern, bright, and clean. Light from tall windows facing Hyde Park lights the restaurant, and there are a few exceptional tables with a nice view at the window.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, shame about locationGastrojonnieVIPDined on 27/4/2013Really extensive menu with lots of dishes I would happily have ordered. The dishes marked as very spicy were not too spicy. Lovely room overlooking Hyde park, but it's just a shame it had no atmosphere. This is probably due to being in a hotel (which to be fair, I knew when I booked it) but it lacked any buzz at all. A shame as the food was really very good.Special Features:
- A decent Thai in central LondonLolaDined on 23/4/2013While looking for a decent Thai restaurant in central London we found Nipa which only had one review. That did not give us much confidence, but knowing the restaurant was in Royal Lancaster Hotel we decided to give it a go...as I have stayed in the hotel many moons ago! On arrival at the restaurant located on the first floor of the hotel, we were met by a very warm and friendly staff who showed us to our table. Service was very quick and the staff was helpful with our menu selection. Food was very good but avoid the set menu as it works out more expensive than choosing from the À la carte menu. Overall a fantastic place to have a decent Thai meal...Ask for a window seat with great view of Hyde park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nipa Restaurant - Lancaster LondonSquidgeDined on 22/4/2013The food at the Nipa is wonderful and the service is outstanding. I always dine there when I visit London. I wish I could eat there more often. I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant. The restaurant is good for intimate special occasions, romantic dinners and small business groups.Special Features:
- Great setting, a bit expensiveChrisDined on 23/3/2013Very nice food, great setting, reasonably quiet, convenient location. Perhaps a bit expensive, but all in all a nice family dinner.Special Features:
- Great Authentic Thai foodLoimyDined on 21/3/2013Fab location, great ambience, delicious authentic original Thai dishes with friendly service. Slightly pricey but in line with central London pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceSidRizviDined on 9/2/2013Fantastic location and great service... Presentation was exquisite... Even though I was not a big fan of thai food I have definitely warmed to this type of cuisine. Cannot recommend it highly enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expensive when you add the 12.5%SimonbDined on 2/2/2013The restaurant is lovely and you feel like your in a very expensive restaurant the service was good but maybe could have been slightly more attentive. Basically all the deserts were not available when we ate. The 12.5% service charge is a bit much to say the least they maybe used to having Americans dining but for us Brits that's outrageous really. The food was lovely, maybe they could improve the deep fried things as these were pretty greasy on the plateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Thai food, obsequiousOccasionalbizluncherDined on 11/1/2013Good Thai food, obsequious but rather uncoordinated service, great view, but zero atmosphereSpecial Features:
- We will eat more Thai food from nowHalfajobDined on 21/12/2012The Lancaster Hotel is a beautiful hotel and makes it feel like a special occassion. Our coats were taken at the door to Nipa which was lovely; as soon as I gave our booking name the waiter mentioned our special dietry requirements without checking any notes. My partner is lactose intolerant, but the waiter informed us that the entire menu was suitable so we immediately knew it would be a good evening. We went for the set menu B and they accommodated my needs for slightly less spicy. However I did not need to worry, the spicing was so flavoursome and well matched to the food that the 3 chilli guide was not a problem. I was not impressed by the wine choice and was expensive. Food excellent, service very good, drinks over priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendedMmmmmfooodDined on 17/12/2012Great looking restaurant in a lovely hotel. Good food and helpful serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.