Northbank Restaurant & Bar
1 Paul's Walk
London, EC4V 3QHNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
Northbank Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.northbankrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 02073299299
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday 12:00PM - 3:00PM;Dinner: Monday - Saturday 6:00PM - 10:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: English, British
- Executive Chef: Jason Marchant
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: All events are tailor made. Let us know if you want to see some examples of packages and prices.
- Special Events: Anything we can do, we will!
A word from Northbank Restaurant & Bar
Northbank is located next to the Millennium Bridge with spectacular views of the Tate Modern and Globe Theatre. Head Chef Jason Marchant is passionate about sourcing local produce for his Modern British menu with a Cornish influence. Enjoy a Traditional Afternoon Tea or indulge in the eclectic wine and cocktail list. Together with the terrace, riverside views, friendly service and all round relaxed atmosphere, Northbank is a great lunch or dinner getaway. Group bookings, private hire also available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Eating
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Northbank Restaurant & Bar - Best restaurants in St Paul's ›
Northbank Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
333 reviews since 30 October 2013
business meals (180)special occasions (147)fit for foodies (122)romance (111)outdoor eating (78)group bookings (63)pre/post theatre (35)brunch (27)sunday lunch (26)good vegetarian options (22)outstanding value (21)disabled access (10)afternoon tea (9)child friendly (3)Show More
- Great food and ambienceMookDined on 25/10/2014Lovely ambience, great food and views of South londonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ChoiceLou7213Dined on 25/10/2014There are so many wonderful sounding restaurants with varying reviews that we found it hard to pick one, but were so pleased that we went for the North Bank. Great cocktails in the bar, relaxed atmosphere - no rush to get to or off our table. Friendly attentive service and great food well cooked. If you want your service charge to go to the people who serve you I would advise against paying the service charge on the bill though, and giving it to the waitress instead. We asked if the service charge went to the staff and were told that it did not! Would definitely recommend and return.Special Features:
- Lovely view, lovely foodLallyCDined on 18/10/2014With a view like this, you naturally want a window seat. The manager was reluctant to give us a window seat even though it was half empty, but after a bit of persuasion due to my Mum and I not wanting to sit next to a shrieking birthday party, he did relent and we did get a window table which was lovely. Predictably, the people who had supposedly booked window seats didn't turn up... Food on the TT offer was lovely, smoked salmon, duck terrine starters and the main of chicken with herb mash. Service was very friendly, but they tried the same trick mentioned by other diners of giving us the main dessert menu which had more expensive options so we had to ask for the TT one again. Would go back but on a quiet night.Special Features:
- Very quitegoodfoodVIPDined on 16/10/2014Great food. The beef that I ordered was very soft and tasty. It was very quiet for a Thursday lunchtime which is good for anyone who wants to conduct business over lunch or have a proper catch up with friends. Would go again if they continue to do their lunch specials.Special Features:
- nice secluded place with great viewlovesfoodVIPDined on 15/10/2014would rate this restuarant really high and would love to go back. enough choices and food portion a good size for those watching their figures, not too full between each course and room for three courses. the sides are delicious, the broccoli and garlic and the double fried chips.I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentkennyboy10Dined on 10/10/20141st visit, but definately not last, excellent food, great service, value for money, probably best meal I have had in the City over the last 2 years!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014Food and wine good... service ranged from wonderful (wine waiter) to completely disengaged
- Outstanding food, service, locationauricleDined on 8/10/2014Arrived early for our reservation but were seated immediately. The location is wonderful with a great view across the river of the Globe Theater. Each course was delicious and beautifully presented. Rafal, our host, was perfect - polite, friendly, and very helpful. We were there during "cocktail week" and were treated to one of their signature cocktails. Everything was excellent. I will go there again and highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Very average dining experienceWaterfordDined on 4/10/2014Great tasting food..... if a bit mean. Steak on a plate looked a bit lonely, not even a garnish. Much of the menu not available..............it was only 8.30! V average wine list and over priced, even a muscadet was 3-4 times market price. Poor service, sloppy, poured entire bottle of white between 4 in one go..............in red wine glasses. We all agreed that service and the experience in Nandos is far superior. Disappointing for our Saturday night out in London. Restaurants like this are supposed to be a dining experience, something special. This apathy on a plate form a bunch of kids who just don't care . Needless to say the 12.5% service charge was removed from the bill! Overall,Not Recommended. Shame,wanted to support a CornishChef.
- lovely settingtal27Dined on 4/10/2014There aren't really any bad tables, as even the booths set back from the window are raised on little platforms so all can share the views. Service was good, our mains were very delayed coming out (the restaurant was not full), but we received an update from the maitre'd on its progress. Wine list is good, with a wide range of prices. We had the TT deal with 2 courses and a glass of prosecco for £22.50 which was good value and they did not skimp on the portion sizes. Recommended.Special Features:
- Amazing views, excellent locationDonataVIPDined on 3/10/2014The restaurant is very conveniently located near St. Paul's Tube and boasts an amazing view on the Thames, London Bridge and London Eye. Very nice decor, food of oustanding quality and well served, excellent service and a fair choice of wine.Special Features:
- Wonderful NorthbankMattBVIPDined on 2/10/2014Northbank maintained the high standards of food and service that I have come to expect. Thank you for looking after my guests so well. It was great to recommend a restaurant and not be let down.
- Lovely views of ThameshappyluncherDined on 2/10/2014Meal was enhanced by being able to eat outside in the October sunshine. Fish special excellent. Starter choice ok. Service very good and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Awesome Meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 27/9/2014This was our second visit to Northbank. For three diners, we had the foie gras starters (divine) and the special starter (venison and chorizo meatballs); a perfectly cooked blue-rare steak, a beautifully cooked skate (on special), and a very satisfying Beef wellington. We had no room for dessert. The wine prices were surprisingly affordable. Overall, it was a very special meal with wonderful service. The restaurant looks out over the Thames with views of Millenium Bridge and the Tate Modern museum. We will defintely go back--gorgeous, high quality food with an outstanding view and without "London" prices!Special Features:
- Amazing viewsRobynrgVIPDined on 27/9/2014Perfect place to bring overseas visitors. Superb service, great food amazing view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view at Northbankeat2muchDined on 26/9/2014Booked a table for 2 last minute with an open table offer, and had a really nice time. Great views over the Thames, nice cocktails, friendly wait staff, and good food. Try the venison meatballs!Special Features:
- LondondinerVIPDined on 25/9/2014Great service with friendly staff. Food was very good value with the opentable offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousCharlotteVIPDined on 25/9/2014Lovely meal, great setting for a business meal (or a dinner date) and the duck was cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- Nice Riverside ViewsLagostadaDined on 24/9/2014For we northeners who are a bit wary of venturing south of the river, the Northbank Restaurant is the ideal venue for a spot of lunch with views of the passing traffic heading up and down stream (especially if you are seated upstairs). Our burgers were juicy and tasty and the service was nice and friendly as well!Special Features:
- wonderful views with good foodMasterspyDined on 23/9/2014Unlike most restaurants with a good view (of South bank) this one also provided good food with comfortable seating and pleasant service. The only criticism is the menu is a bit restrictive and a little too fussy but the chef made some small changes and everything was delicious and well presented. The staff were very helpful and efficient. Strongly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprised...fatcatVIPDined on 23/9/2014The choice of the menu is not that extensive, one of us would like to have lamb but none on the menu. However, all of us (3 in total) enjoyed what we ordered in the end. The trout was cooked perfectly, and even the side dishes are all nice. Would be great to go on a sunny day and get a seat outdoor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view. Great food.Gav1Dined on 20/9/2014A last minute booking on a weekend visit to London. We actually booked as the restaurant was a stones throw from our hotel. Very pleased we did. Lovely food, friendly efficient service & a lovely view of the south bank. All in all a super restaurant & would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sanctury on the Thames BankSallyannDined on 18/9/2014Ideal location for the Globe and other Thames Bank venues. Exceptional quality of food but lacked inclusion of range of vegetables with the main dish. The duck dish only came with potato! The desserts were wonderful. Will book again.Special Features:
- Delivered againLRonTTVIPDined on 17/9/20142nd time at Northbank, both times for business purposes. Sat inside (wasn't quite right for the terrace that day.) I was pleased they had seen the note on my booking asking them to make the reservation in my business surname (my OT account is in my married name) - I have often requested via OT but I would say only 50% of restaurants notice/do anything about it, so full marks Northbank. Meal served at just the right pace. Beef Wellington really excellent. Foie gras & chicken liver terrine starter with a lovely bone marrow butter the side was truly excellent and would go back just for that! Only criticism was the tiny sourdough loaf which wasn't nearly big enough to be able to have all of the terrine! But overall a super dining experience.Special Features:
- A table with a viewLifesearcherDined on 13/9/2014We were seated next to the window as requested and it was a lovely spot to eat with great views across the river. The food was good with mains being Calves Liver and Pan Fried Fish of the Day. Both dishes were a little salty but edible otherwise we would have returned them. The puddings were delicious with the Souffle done to perfection. We will return to try the Friday Roast Beef dinner. We used our Tastecard otherwise it would have been pricey.Special Features:
- Wonderful NorthbankMattBVIPDined on 12/9/2014Northbank maintained the high standards of food and service that I have come to expect. Thank you for looking after my guests so well.
- Pricey but niceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/9/2014Excellent location overlooking the Millenium bridge with St. Paul's immediately behind th restaurant. Attentive service (but lacking a smile). Good quality food but pricey (overpriced in my opinion but the price takes in to account the location I guess). Very nice for a business lunch/dinner or a special occassion.Special Features:
- Wonderful NorthbankMattBVIPDined on 5/9/2014The Northbank team surpassed themselves again! My guests were well look after and well catered for. We had an excellent table by the window and were made to feel very welcome and special. If the weather suits Northbank have a great little terrace with views over the Thames and the Millennium bridge. A firm favourite.Special Features:
- WooWooDined on 26/8/2014This was my third visit to Northbank and all have been enjoyable. The restaurant is well placed for Tate Modern, The Globe and The Tower of London. A very good place to meet friends in a relaxed atmosphere. The staff are excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Class...EddiebooDined on 23/8/2014Went here on a Saturday evening for my Birthday and it was excellent! I had scallops followed by rib-eye steak. Both courses were cooked perfectly, as were the meals of my fellow diners. The bartender served the drinks quickly and they had a decent range of spirits. Our waitress was efficient and very attentive. I cannot wait to go back :)Special Features:
- Exceeded expectationstravelfoodieDined on 19/8/2014From the juice of the day right through to dessert, every bite of every course was full of exceptional flavor. I went in expecting a good meal. What I got was an outstanding meal.Special Features:
- Interesting viewNikkisevansDined on 16/8/2014Enjoyed our lovely meal tucked away on the Northbank. Modern atmosphere couples with relaxed fine dining. Attentive service. Falmouth bay crab starter was delicious!Special Features:
- Fantastic viewsfinedinerVIPDined on 13/8/2014A wonderful terrace right on the Thames next to the Millennium Bridge so perfect spot for sunny days. We went when there was quite a lot of wind as well, I wonder if they provide sunshades/heaters for extremes of weather? Food fresh, fish perfectly cooked, starter of puff pastry spinach and egg tart with bearnaise sauce not completely successful - smaller with less spinach and a stronger taste would have been preferable. Vegetables and chunky chips excellent. Will definitely return when weather conditions are right - a great treat to eat right on the river. Good service, attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:
- Always hits the spotEmmaHVIPDined on 11/8/2014Another good lunch at Northbank. I had delicious chiled leek and potato soup followed by lemon sole. All lovely, although I noticed that my companion's sauce seemed to have a skin on top by the time it reached our table, which was a tad disappointing. It also does annoy me when main meals don't come with sufficient veg (or even any potatoes) so that you have to order side dishes. As ever, though, the sublime view means that I shall keep returning!Special Features:
- Northbank secretMattBVIPDined on 6/8/2014Northbank is a great little secret set on North Bank of Thames right by the Millennium bridge. The food is always good, the staff friendly and the wine list extensive. Great views over the river as you enjoy some fine wines and excellent food. They also have an outside terrace for those rare sunny days!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outside space river viewsParty65Dined on 2/8/2014Finding a restaurant by the Thames with outside dining is not easy . Northbank had excellent food ambience and views Best of all is the service .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veggie optionveggiebusinessmanDined on 1/8/2014It is always disappointing when there is only one veggie main course on a menu, giving no choice. When it is the same old boring risotto, as it is in so many business lunch venues, then it shows a complete lack of imagination.
- Great Post Globe DinnerjohnwullyDined on 31/7/2014Came here after a matinee at the Globe Theatre just across the river and had an excellent meal in pleasant surroundings. Service was attentive (even maybe a tad too swift on occasion) and friendly too. Starting cocktails were excellent. My crab linguine tasty and pea and bean risotto very good. My wife's twice baked sweet corn souffle in a filo case and sea bream with brown shrimp and samphire also declared excellent. Puddings were fine as well, if I had one criticism to make it would be that the "West Country" cheeseboard is a collection of cheese cliches but it may be that these choices are less common in London than in our neck of the woods. However Northbank still gets marks for at least having an English cheese board.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 31/7/2014I cannot review this restaurant as unfortunately they cancelled the booking several days after it was made!!!!
- Better than expectedPollyboyDined on 31/7/2014We eat lunch with friends on a fairly regular basis in London and we decided to try the Northbank on this occasion and we have to say that it would have been difficult to find anything to criticise. Maybe the speed of service would not have suited some people but, we were happy and found the staff to be very attentive. The food menu was short but, gave a good choice to suit most tastes and was good and well presented together with a wine list that was easy to find a choice to please. We were fortunate enough to enjoy a discount on the food which made the overall experience very good value but, without that it would have been little expensive. All in all, we really enjoyed the Northbank and will certainly be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.