Northbank Restaurant & Bar
1 Paul's Walk
London, EC4V 3QHNeighborhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
Northbank Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.northbankrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 02073299299
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday 12:00PM - 3:00PM;Dinner: Monday - Saturday 6:00PM - 10:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: English, British
- Executive Chef: Jason Marchant
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: All events are tailor made. Let us know if you want to see some examples of packages and prices.
- Special Events: Anything we can do, we will!
A word from Northbank Restaurant & Bar
Northbank is located next to the Millennium Bridge with spectacular views of the Tate Modern and Globe Theatre. Head Chef Jason Marchant is passionate about sourcing local produce for his Modern British menu with a Cornish influence. Enjoy a Traditional Afternoon Tea or indulge in the eclectic wine and cocktail list. Together with the terrace, riverside views, friendly service and all round relaxed atmosphere, Northbank is a great lunch or dinner getaway. Group bookings, private hire also available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Northbank Restaurant & Bar - Best restaurants in St Paul's ›
Northbank Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
329 reviews since 5 May 2014
business meals (175)special occasions (147)fit for foodies (117)romance (108)outdoor eating (75)group bookings (63)pre/post theatre (32)brunch (30)sunday lunch (30)outstanding value (25)good vegetarian options (24)disabled access (11)afternoon tea (10)child friendly (4)Show More
- WooWooDined on 26/8/2014This was my third visit to Northbank and all have been enjoyable. The restaurant is well placed for Tate Modern, The Globe and The Tower of London. A very good place to meet friends in a relaxed atmosphere. The staff are excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Class...EddiebooDined on 23/8/2014Went here on a Saturday evening for my Birthday and it was excellent! I had scallops followed by rib-eye steak. Both courses were cooked perfectly, as were the meals of my fellow diners. The bartender served the drinks quickly and they had a decent range of spirits. Our waitress was efficient and very attentive. I cannot wait to go back :)Special Features:
- Exceeded expectationstravelfoodieDined on 19/8/2014From the juice of the day right through to dessert, every bite of every course was full of exceptional flavor. I went in expecting a good meal. What I got was an outstanding meal.Special Features:
- Interesting viewNikkisevansDined on 16/8/2014Enjoyed our lovely meal tucked away on the Northbank. Modern atmosphere couples with relaxed fine dining. Attentive service. Falmouth bay crab starter was delicious!Special Features:
- Fantastic viewsfinedinerVIPDined on 13/8/2014A wonderful terrace right on the Thames next to the Millennium Bridge so perfect spot for sunny days. We went when there was quite a lot of wind as well, I wonder if they provide sunshades/heaters for extremes of weather? Food fresh, fish perfectly cooked, starter of puff pastry spinach and egg tart with bearnaise sauce not completely successful - smaller with less spinach and a stronger taste would have been preferable. Vegetables and chunky chips excellent. Will definitely return when weather conditions are right - a great treat to eat right on the river. Good service, attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:
- Always hits the spotEmmaHVIPDined on 11/8/2014Another good lunch at Northbank. I had delicious chiled leek and potato soup followed by lemon sole. All lovely, although I noticed that my companion's sauce seemed to have a skin on top by the time it reached our table, which was a tad disappointing. It also does annoy me when main meals don't come with sufficient veg (or even any potatoes) so that you have to order side dishes. As ever, though, the sublime view means that I shall keep returning!Special Features:
- Northbank secretMattBVIPDined on 6/8/2014Northbank is a great little secret set on North Bank of Thames right by the Millennium bridge. The food is always good, the staff friendly and the wine list extensive. Great views over the river as you enjoy some fine wines and excellent food. They also have an outside terrace for those rare sunny days!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outside space river viewsParty65Dined on 2/8/2014Finding a restaurant by the Thames with outside dining is not easy . Northbank had excellent food ambience and views Best of all is the service .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veggie optionveggiebusinessmanDined on 1/8/2014It is always disappointing when there is only one veggie main course on a menu, giving no choice. When it is the same old boring risotto, as it is in so many business lunch venues, then it shows a complete lack of imagination.
- Great Post Globe DinnerjohnwullyDined on 31/7/2014Came here after a matinee at the Globe Theatre just across the river and had an excellent meal in pleasant surroundings. Service was attentive (even maybe a tad too swift on occasion) and friendly too. Starting cocktails were excellent. My crab linguine tasty and pea and bean risotto very good. My wife's twice baked sweet corn souffle in a filo case and sea bream with brown shrimp and samphire also declared excellent. Puddings were fine as well, if I had one criticism to make it would be that the "West Country" cheeseboard is a collection of cheese cliches but it may be that these choices are less common in London than in our neck of the woods. However Northbank still gets marks for at least having an English cheese board.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 31/7/2014I cannot review this restaurant as unfortunately they cancelled the booking several days after it was made!!!!
- Better than expectedPollyboyDined on 31/7/2014We eat lunch with friends on a fairly regular basis in London and we decided to try the Northbank on this occasion and we have to say that it would have been difficult to find anything to criticise. Maybe the speed of service would not have suited some people but, we were happy and found the staff to be very attentive. The food menu was short but, gave a good choice to suit most tastes and was good and well presented together with a wine list that was easy to find a choice to please. We were fortunate enough to enjoy a discount on the food which made the overall experience very good value but, without that it would have been little expensive. All in all, we really enjoyed the Northbank and will certainly be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice lunch along the Rivergolfer7Dined on 31/7/2014nice menu, nicely-prepared food, attentive service and beautiful views made for a very enjoyable lunch
- Excellent ServiceVeggieIanDined on 30/7/2014As a group of 3 we went on a Wednesday evening and the restaurant was about half full. We used a Tastecard which gave us 50% off the meal except for the specials and side orders. The staff were very friendly and attentive but not overbearing. The food was very good but only one vegetarian option for the starter and main course. Overall a very enjoyable evening and reasonable value with the Tastecard. We would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Iconic views, very good foodtigstabletalkDined on 26/7/2014My latest visit to Northbank's terrace overlooking the Thames, the Tate and the Millennium Bridge was made memorable by Saturday's Mediterranean heat! Chilled Prosecco and buckets of ice for our water seemed a suitable way to start lunch and celebrate my daughter's exam success. The food at our table was perfect too- roasted monkfish beautifully garnished with grilled courgettes whilst grilled sea bass offered a perfect, crisp finish. The crab and linguine starter was bigged -up into a main course at my husband's request and seemed a chilli -hot hit. The staff were, as always, welcoming and efficient. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBettiahDined on 25/7/2014Service was very poor. No attention given to customers. At one point one of us had to serve wine and sugar pot to the table!! Food wise, the soup was tepid (yuck), the lamb was not pink and beef not rare, when ordered. Coffee was also served tepid rather than hot. Then finally the bill which came out to be an eye watering £100 per person!! I would suggest not to bother going here unless you are on company expense or have more money than sense! This is not just my view, but all my guests who accompanied me to the venue.
- Warm start, cool finishCaramelCrunchDined on 22/7/2014After a warm welcome from the team at the restaurant, I thought I was in for a real treat. Sadly this was not the case. My friend had the special (lemon sole), which was sizable and opted for a mixed salad to accompany the meal - she enjoyed it. I chose the lamb and was disappointed by the portion size and the lack of flavour. For such a pricey lamb dish I expected far better. The rose wine was delicious although on the pricey side and I must confess to devouring the cheese board with gusto! It was my favourite part of the meal. My friend thought the segmented dining area disturbed the flow of the restaurant. I on the other hand didn't mind it.
- ExcellentIronsideDined on 21/7/2014The location, especially its outdoor terrace and the attentive staff made for an excellent venue for a business lunch. Thank you to all who made it possible; the chef and his team together with the waitress and her colleagues who took care of our table professionally without obvious intrusion. ExcellentSpecial Features:
- Enjoyable dinnerdinerDined on 18/7/2014Had a lovely dinner at Northbank with friends. The service was attentive and very accomodating, the food was nice and the location by the river is wonderful in the summer.Special Features:
- Beware - food indecision aheadNoelleTVIPDined on 18/7/2014So many wonderful dishes it is easy to feel like you missed out on something. Every time I've been, we've not made it to dessert because we've ended up pigging out on the starters and mains. The dishes are sizeable and very yummy so haven't felt too bad. Shame the salad (only light option) is usually over-salted.Special Features:
- Good for business mealRosemaeDined on 17/7/2014The food in particular the steak is very good. We found the service to be friendly and attentive with a nice atmosphere. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent quality at great valuePerkylisaDined on 15/7/2014I booked here for a dinner for business colleagues and we were all pleasantly surprised at the lovely setting on the northbank and the great food and wine we had to accompany it. The short rib and lobster salad had a heathly portion size and was delicious. The wine offers they had for a restaurant of this standard provided a great tipple to accompany the food at a very reasonable price.Special Features:
- DinnerdoormouseDined on 15/7/2014Very good food with imaginative menu. Excellent service with most helpful staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top classturkeyDined on 12/7/2014Stayed in London for a week and this was our favourite evening. Had book a table a few months before, was showed to table on time by very efficient and polite staff. The menu was excellent, food was excellent and service was excellent. Would recommend this place to anyone who wanted a special evening with partner or friends.Special Features:
- Pleasant surprisebirthdaytreatDined on 10/7/2014I wasn't sure whether I had made a good choice as some of the reviews were rather poor. But we had a very pleasant evening with good food and efficient and friendly service. I was expecting to have a good view of the Thames, but the retaining wall was a little too high so views were of the other side of the Thames and not the water. However lovely at night.Special Features:
- Lovely viewsTaraCVIPDined on 10/7/2014Northbank is in a lovely location on the Thames Riverside Walk, right by the Millennium Bridge. It has an outdoor patio, which unfortunately on the lovely summer evening I was there was booked for a company event. This is the only downside to Northbank, as it happens quite a bit - out of the five times I've been there, I've been unable to sit outside twice, which is a shame when it's nice out. However, the indoor restaurant section is a good second choice, and if you can get a window table as we did on Thursday, it's still lovely. Food is excellent, as is the wine list. Both my colleague and I had the ham hock, which was cooked beautifully. Service is very good - not too obtrusive, and the wait staff make great suggestions.Special Features:
- ExcellentCityDiningDined on 9/7/2014Excellent all round. The food was first class and the setting could hardly be bettered.Special Features:
- Nice riverbank view, delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/7/2014The food was very tasty and quite good portions for the price. Lamb was cooked perfectly and chicken succulent and tender with side portions more generous than I expected. The location is great because there is no traffic, clear view of the river, directly opposite The Globe and Tate Modern. Dined on a Tuesday lunchtime and it was not very busy which made talking to my colleague . Staff are friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ~Birthday BashSuzyDined on 5/7/2014I would like to say thank you to everyone who was working last Saturday! we had a lovely dinner and my Friend who's birthday it was had an amazing time!Special Features:
- AverageMJPLDined on 4/7/2014Disappointed the menu didn't seem as extensive as online examples had shown. The food was nice but for the price of the steak you could easily eat in the renowned Hawksmoor or Gaucho restaurants. For some reason the tables had cheap paper table cloths on top of the cotton cloth, this really did make the feel a little cheap considering the cost of the overall meal.
- Setting great, food ok, service badRicardofinDined on 24/6/2014Northbank has a great setting.. my business contact who visits London often said it'd be on her list now, for good weather outdoors. Food was ok, nothing more. Starter of beetroot salad was so small I thought it was some kind of amuse gueule and picked at it even though it was my business contact's starter, ouch. Bread was ok, way better at say Brasserie Blanc. Poached sea bream was in a thin soup, had soft grey skin still attached. Rocket salad missing its dressing. Caramel dessert very yummy. Service: such a long wait, finally we questioned it: oh the chef is getting angry in the kitchen, said our waitress. Staff seemed to lose interest in us then. Said thank you for paying while staring off into space somewhere. What a shame.Special Features:
- Dinning surprise of the year24funDined on 21/6/2014We booked a dinner here for a Saturday night in town with no prior knowledge or expectations for the experience other than the fact that the web page seemed a good advert for the restaurant. We were charmed from the very first moment with a friendly reception and were seated at a lovely table for 2 by the window. The service was outstanding, the food excellent. The whole feeling we got from the place, the servers, and of course the food put us in a mood such that we didn't want to leave. We have lived in London for 4 years now and my wife and I both agreed that taken in total, the food, the service, the location, this was as good as if not the best dining experience we have had to date in the UK. It was a very memorable evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingCityluncherVIPDined on 19/6/2014Great location and service excellent but food didn't match this unfortunately. Starter of prawns was small and bland and the slow cooked lamb main course was dry and largely tasteless. Not up to the Northbank's usual standardSpecial Features:
- Handy for Tate Modern and the GlobeflaneurbenDined on 13/6/2014I guess this place must be popular for business lunches, given the location - it certainly has that corporate feel. The food was good, with an emphasis on fish. The service was not as attentive as we might have liked - the waiting staff seemed to be stretched with a couple of large groups. Just over the Millennium Bridge from Tate Modern - we went after seeing the Matisse Cut-outs!Special Features:
- Everything's extra...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 13/6/2014Nice restaurant and location. Odd mixture of decor and Cornish provenance - they source a lot of food from there but don't make it a feature.. It's not so posh though that they can get away with £22 for a steak that comes with... er...nothing. Sauce, chips, vege.. All extra.. Took the shine off for me
- Good food, good viewsYiddo61Dined on 11/6/2014The seabass and scallop dish was lovely. However, it did take a long time between ordering and receiving the food and even the coffee. So not a place if in a rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic nightDaisyDogDined on 7/6/2014This is the second time we have eaten at the Northbank and it didn't disappoint. Marco served us initially in the cocktail bar and impressed us with his enthusiasm and knowledge of both the cocktails and wines. When we went through to restaurant the food was fantastic, every mouthful was an explosion of flavour. Thank you to all the staff for making our meal really special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Abrupt serviceChairmanJROVIPDined on 4/6/2014Northbank Restaurant is rightly famous for the high standard of food, and for the great views over the river to the Globe and Tate Modern. It lived up to its reputation for both last night. However, my guests and I were all somewhat taken aback by the abrupt service from our servers... the two waitresses seemed annoyed that we were dining, and in particular that we'd selected the £35 for 3 courses set menu (despite this being indicated on my OpenTable booking).Special Features:
- NorthbankStymieDined on 3/6/2014Easy online booking, good food, affordable pricing. Young staff willing to do their work.Special Features:
- A constant star!AHR2VIPDined on 3/6/2014I am not one to write reviews, but for Northbank I make the exception . I have visited this restaurant for years and the consistently high quality of the cuisine is quite remarkable. The menu is always interesting with a variety of fresh and imaginative choices, supported by a good wine list to suit every taste and pocket. The cheerful staff are both efficient and welcoming. I always leave this restaurant content that the time and money have been well spent. It's a gem, but don't tell everyone .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.