55 Exhibition Rd
London, SW7 2PNNeighbourhood:
Eastern EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ogniskorestaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 02075890101x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 12pm - 3pm, 5:30pm - 11:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Eastern European
- Executive Chef: Marcin Malinski
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Ognisko
Ognisko restaurant on Exhibition Road in the heart of South Kensington, is just a stone’s throw away from the Natural History Museum, Science Museum, Royal Albert Hall and London Imperial College. Housed in the beautiful Victorian home of Ognisko Polskie club the restaurant will be focusing on the cuisines eastern and Central Europe. The bar will be open all day serving light dishes as well as afternoon tea with traditional pastries and sandwiches. Ognisko’s bar will also serve a wide range of fruit and spice -infused vodkas classic cocktails and a small range boutique beers from regional Polish breweries. The restaurant can sit up to 80 guests together with a terrace overlooking communal gardens seating up to 40. There is also a large events space on the first floor available for daytime conferences, weddings and corporate events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Eating
- Diners' Choice WinnerPre/post Theatre
Ognisko - Best restaurants in South Kensington ›
Ognisko reviews from OpenTable diners
156 reviews since 24 October 2013
special occasions (92)pre/post theatre (89)fit for foodies (69)romance (67)business meals (59)outdoor eating (58)group bookings (37)sunday lunch (34)outstanding value (28)afternoon tea (15)brunch (11)child friendly (11)good vegetarian options (10)Show More
- Good Polish cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 13/9/2014Had a good evening here. Food very tasty. Outdoor seating available and ambience is good. Recommend.Special Features:
- Splendour in South KenIRofRVIPDined on 12/9/2014A truly splendid meal, served in magnificent surroundings, after a Prom in the Albert Hall nearby. The menu offers a wide choice: my goose leg was probably the best I have ever eaten, the accompanying red cabbage fragrant with cinnamon. My companion was equally pleased with his choice of venison. Our accompanying carafe of claret was excellent. On a Friday night the bar was abuzz with a lively clientele, but the immaculate service did not suffer in consequence. There was a pleasant clubby atmosphere: most people seemed to be regulars. The place is not cheap - but then, with such quality, why would it be?Special Features:
- GOING POLISH POST-PROMGlowboy91Dined on 13/8/2014Very convenient and agreeable post-Prom restaurant. Service attentive at first but later somewhat idiosyncratic though the manageress was charming. Interesting in that sea bream (2 for £5 at Waitrose!) cost £16-£17 at the table. Polish soup and succulent meat dishes were a better bet. The summer fruit pavlova - one portion, four spoons - was scrumptiously generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- S Ken treatWebdinersVIPDined on 13/8/2014Ognisko was a nice choice for a between Proms bite. Slightly limited for time, we went just for mains and enjoyed excellent calves liver and lamb kebabs; very tasty and well-presented. Nice wine list too. It was a touch chilly to sit outside but the dining room is very smart and the already nice ambience improved even further when Janine Jansen and Sakari Oramo came in for their well deserved post-Prom dinner! Good service.Special Features:
- Chicken LiversLiverloverDined on 11/8/2014Best Chicken Livers we ever had! Highly recommend the large portion of the chicken liver with potato pancakes as an dinner entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for pre-Prom diningAnglophileDined on 11/8/2014Super convenient to the Royal Albert Hall for dinner before a Prom (or other) concert. Many options on the set pre-theatre menu. Very attentive staff. Delicious food. I'd definitely consider returning.Special Features:
- Nice treat for after concertDinerDined on 8/8/2014It is very handy indeed for the Royal Albert Hall. Really enjoyable food which is a bit different and something of a treat. It is good to be able to select a larger or smaller version of a good range of dishes. Nice variety.Special Features:
- Ognisko is brilliantMIchaelADined on 3/8/2014Wonderful dining room and terrace The menu just keeps getting better. The staff are charming and knowledgeable. Ognisko has become a favourite all year roundSpecial Features:
- First and repeat visitsSedley26Dined on 3/8/2014This was the third time I had visited the restaurant since its refurbishment and the first time my friends had had what they felt was a great experience which they would wish to repeat. All three of us appreciated the speed and attention of the service, the quality of the food and the wide menu choices. Being able to eat on the terrace on a fine summer's day was an added bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent a real find, recommend itStevoDined on 3/8/2014Such a great spot for pre prom dinner. Service was excellent from all staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Proms mealOgniskoFanDined on 2/8/2014Grabbed an early table on a sunny Saturday afternoon on the terrace. The food was excellent, service good and a great location. Some of the "homely dishes" like the pierogi were executed to a very high restaurant standard and were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pol-tastic!foodloverVIPDined on 1/8/2014we went there for a dinner couple of weeks ago and had the best evening ever. we were sat outside on a little back patio overlooking a park, the service was outstanding and the food simply delicious. we ended up staying in there till the wee hours. will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Hugely improvedMrGrumpyVIPDined on 30/7/2014Used to be gloomy with mediocre food and service, now much better in all aspectsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great replacementPolfanDined on 29/7/2014For much missed Wodka with green and peaceful outside space. Same tasty Polish-lite food and great welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnaDined on 24/7/2014Excellent! The best Polish restaurant in London. I had a great time.Special Features:
- Hidden TreasureFshionablepatDined on 24/7/2014I have worked in SW7 for 20 years, so it is with delight that I was introduced to this restaurant that, I am sorry to say, I had never noticed. Lunch was tasty, traditional Polish food served on a sunny terrace by charming staff. I recommend the starter of marinated quail. We had held back on the dumpling course, wary of the potential weight implications both for the hips and attention span in the office, but we were wrong. Pirogi were not only delicious but light. I shall now be a regular customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JillVIPDined on 21/7/2014Much more than just cabbage and pickles; although they do ,of course, feature on the menu. good hearty Eastern European fare plus vegetarian options. Excellent pancakes and dumplings. Some of our party were late arriving and the waiting staff accommodated our staggered dining without a murmur including our very rushed departure for the proms. The closest eatery to the Royal Albert Hall and you couldn't do better for a pre-prom meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialLillyDined on 17/7/2014I'm polish and to be honest I wasn't impressed with that restaurant. Food was ok but not great. Poor service- very slow and had to remind about my drinks.Special Features:
- Great foodADG41Dined on 12/7/2014Been to Ognisko several times over the years but this time was best of all. Improved menu and high quality ingredients. We ate on the terrace which is very pleasant.Special Features:
- Very enjoyableSuzeDined on 7/7/2014Took a friend to dinner here as a birthday treat and sat out on the terrace which was a rare treat for London. Food was delicious, although not being Polish, I don't know how authentically Polish it was. It tasted good to us though, which is what we cared about. Never seen so many types of vodka and tried a few, including a complimentary one when our delightful and helpful waitress discovered we were celebrating a birthday. Would definitely recommend for a relaxed and enjoyable evening. Will definitely come againSpecial Features:
- romantic atmospherealeksandraDined on 4/7/2014It was our first visit and I'm glad, we've chosen this restaurant. Beautiful, elegant interior and lovely veranda with the garden view. Food was absolutely delicious. I'm Polish so i know Polish cuisine very well, food was fresh and authentic, everything tasted as a homemade ;)Special Features:
- Tasty foodkilburncatDined on 28/6/2014Soviet style waitress tersely corrected my Polish pronunciations, (the other girl was much nicer), scrumptious pierogi, but putting the (tasty) meat on the potato pancake made it soggy and undifferentiated. Tardy service meant no time for dessert unfortunately.Special Features:
- Surprisingly goodEsthero1Dined on 27/6/2014Near the V&A, I found the restaurant to be empty on a Friday evening. Lovely outdoor seating is provided (and there were diners outside). The restaurant also caters for large events and they were busy preparing for a breakfast then a wedding. As a result, expectations were fairly low, combined with the fact that Polish fare is not generally known for being gourmet. The restaurant is in a beautiful town-house type room, simply but nicely decorated. The menu is short. We ordered blinis and smoked salmon, mushroom and chestnut pasta and potato pancakes with letzo; the food was freshly prepared and tasty. Cocktails were nice too. They offer a selection of vodka shorts. Prices high as you'd expect from location but not too high. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies that lunch ...and Supper!trippy91Dined on 22/6/2014Great venue after the Ballet at Albert Hall. Fabulous evening, great service, friendly staff and great food. Out side seating for a future summer visit is definitely in the plan. Inside the high ceiling and light decor provided an airy summer feel.Special Features:
- Authentic Polish FoodLivetoEatDined on 21/6/2014You would miss this restaurant if you did not know it was there so worth making a note. You can enjoy a wide range of authentic Polish dishes. The service is a little slow but the food is very good and especially enjoyable if you choose a time when the terrace is available overlooking the gardens. It is also perfectly located for the Albert Hall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice ambiance but limited menuDonataVIPDined on 15/6/2014The restaurant is beautifully located and boasts a very nice interior design, however at least three dishes were not available, the service was slow and not very efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlowerDined on 15/6/2014Such a lovely setting and very pleasant staff. Our food was mostly excellent except for the cucumber soup which was warm and came with potatoes. Strange as we thought that cucumber soup is usually cold. Perhaps a different recipe.Special Features:
- Grat place in South KensingtonMasandarmVIPDined on 14/6/2014In the middle of South Kensington but nicely off the tourist track is this modern Polish place. I eat here a lot and cannot recommend it highly enough. The outdoor terrace is lovely. Do go and enjoy!Special Features:
- Super pre theatre mealJHodDined on 13/6/2014We had a very nice dinner using the Open Table 25% off food and a free glass of prosecco offer. The staff were busy even though it was early evening as there was a big party upstairs - however they were pleasant and our food was fresh, hot and delicious. We sat outside on the terrace on a lovely evening and the offer made our starter and main course very good value at £70 for three. We will certainly return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Old World Polish DiningDorfleDined on 7/6/2014Ognisko is an elegant and romantic restaurant in the equally romantic and elegant Polish club (founded during WW2) near the V&A museum. It is a must for fans of Central European or specifically Polish cuisine. The pork cracklings with pear and horseradish sauce were scrumptious. My chlodnik (cold beet soup with dill) was delicious, and our placki (potato pancakes) were also very good. I had the placek with goulash--I think next time I will will try the placek with black pudding, as I am not a huge fan of stewing beef. There is a good selection of Polish beers, and the house red wine was good. As I was too full to attempt a proper pudding, I had a shot of ice-cold pear vodka. Delicious. I will definitely return.Special Features:
- Nice experience,, good OT dealCDdinerDined on 6/6/2014Dined with two friends after the V&A. We sat outside on the terrace enjoying our complimentary prosecco as it was a nice day which overlooks a green (quite a few students, so think there is a college or similar on the green). The terrace does not really get direct sunlight or at least did not that day, but was lovely. we were actually the only table outside, but inside was quite busy. we asked to move in after our pre-dinner drink/appetisers... this was not an issue at all. Food was good, interesting - good recommendations from the waiter for food (pancakes, dumplings) and wine. we tried the Hungarian wine (which none of us had before). Service was good - generally attentive and pleasant.Special Features:
- DelightedDelightedDined on 31/5/2014I used to go to Ognisko 40 years ago when I lived in South Kensington. The restaurant has retained its ambiance and culture originating from a proud country and rich heritage , whilst the decor has been updated and is very stylish and elegant . The food was excellent , beautifully presented and the service outstanding . A place I would definitely recommend .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful setting and special foodjan24Dined on 30/5/2014First time at Ognisko and we were very impressed. Lovely combination of Victorian original features with contemporary touches. Seared calf's liver with apple mash accompanied by horseradish and honey vodka - amazing! The fish was good too... Nice desert wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurant!goingtopolandDined on 28/5/2014This is a great restaurant. The room is very special, high ceiling, great lighting and a fun bar at the front, but the tables are spaced so well that even when it's packed on a Saturday evening, it's still easy to hear what everyone's saying without having to shout. The service is excellent, friendly, not oppressive and their timing is perfect. The food is just like it is in Poland, delicious and well-presented. Some of the dishes are 5 star (the herring, pierogi, calves liver, venison), some 4 star (herring blinis, roast rabbit) and I've never got to dessert, but long to as they look great.
- An Excellent RestaurantHughmdDined on 26/5/2014Excellent food, friendly service and reasonable prices. A varied menu. Lovely view from the terrace and an excellent wine and spirit list. Couldn't fault a thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Modern PolishEvefromHKDined on 24/5/2014Ognisko offers modern polish cuisine served by polite and helpful staff. The tables are spaced far apart and decked with crisp white linen. The starters feature many 'traditional' dishes that have been re examined and lifted to suit the contemporary palate; the golonko is incorporated into a salad, the pierogi are light, the herring salad is excellent but the best are the potato pancakes served with black pudding and sautéed apples. The mains are equally exciting and well cooked. The favourites were the ox-tongue in beetroot broth and the hake with buckwheat. For less adventurous diners there are also international dishes (grilled sole, steak etc). The selection of wines and vodkas are extensive: try the hot krupnik after your dinner!Special Features:
- ReinventedreinventedDined on 24/5/2014I am Polish but I have been living in England for 25 years. 22 years ago I invited my husband (English) for a birthday dinner to Ognisko. It was an embarrassment. But now it is a different experience. It is so wonderful to see this very lovely place in a fantastic part of London serving great Polish food and offering a great service and atmosphere. We particularly like the cocktails and, the best we have ever eaten, pork scratchings (trzaski). The few things that we miss in Ognisko from the Polish cuisine are great Polish soups: flaki, zurek, szczawiowa and rosol.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem!DoubleJDined on 24/5/2014Wasn't sure what to expect but was not disappointed. The food was delicious, well priced, good portions and the menu has me thinking of my next visit. Staff were really friendly and attentive. Available but unobtrusive, friendly without being fake. The meal was well paced too, no one pushing dishes at us or rushing to clear tables but not slow either. Just right. Cracking selection of flavored vodkas too. All in all a very pleasant experience. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ognisko excellenceognisko1Dined on 23/5/2014A warm welcome from the attentive and friendly waitresses in the classy atmosphere of the Ognisko had us looking forward to an enjoyable meal. We weren't disappointed with an interesting and varied menu and wine list. The waitress taking our order was equally impressive remembering our tricky orders without any recourse to a notepad. Each of our foursome had something different yet we all enjoyed 3 excellent courses washed down with an unusual Portugese red that also didn't disappoint.. Altogether an experience to savour - and to repeat as soon as circumstances allowed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 22/5/2014The food was authentic Polish food with a modern twist. Exceptional compared to my last visit some years ago.Special Features: