54 Cornwall Street
Birmingham, B3 2DENeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.opusrestaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 01212002323x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, 6:00pm - 9:30pm
Saturday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: David Colcombe
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The menu
For Private Events choose from our seasonal set price menus which start at £32.00 for 3 courses with coffee or perhaps you have a bespoke menu in mind.
Our chef director David Colcombe’s modern British menu is market fresh allowing the quality of raw ingredients to shine through dishes that are simple, yet bursting with flavour. They represent an outstanding commitment to seasonality and freshness.
- Special Events: We have a number of supplier dinners throughout the year. Please see our website for full details.
A word from Opus Restaurant
Dedicated to sharing good food with the people of Birmingham, Opus Restaurant, is putting the Midlands on the culinary map with its chic dining room amongst the towering Victoriana of Cornwall Street. The simplicity of Opus’s interior, its unpretentious bistro feel and understated service, refusal to follow fashion and over-egg the pudding have earned the restaurant not only rave reviews from the most well respected food critics numerous awards and accolades including two AA Rosettes and a mention in the Michelin Guide. Everything the team at Opus does is with its guests in mind, including the way the food is prepared. This isn’t a restaurant actively seeking those shiny stars but a restaurant which simply wants to offer its visitors the very best. This means that Chef Director is up early seeking out the best produce from local suppliers and growers, putting the first pickings fresh on the table, working the season’s best in to his menu of modern European dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Opus Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since 27 May 2014
special occasions (32)business meals (28)fit for foodies (24)romance (16)pre/post theatre (11)outstanding value (6)sunday lunch (6)group bookings (6)good vegetarian options (4)brunch (3)afternoon tea (2)disabled access (1)Show More
- Fantastic foodTheCatDined on 10/9/2014Excellent food cooked to perfection and wonderfully tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal !PeachesDined on 2/8/2014We had not been to Opus before but were recommended to go by my son. Apparently, there is a good meal deal Mon - Fri evening & Saturday 6pm-7pm with competitively priced one, two or three courses. We chose from the a la carte menu. I had haddock fishcake with quail's egg on top. Delicious. The others in my party had the scollops with pork belly, equally scrumptious! Between us we had a lamb dish, duck & John Dory. All the dishes were beautifully cooked, flavoursome & well presented. Desserts were good too. The wine list is reasonably extensive & reasonably priced. All the staff wery very friendly & attentive.The head waiter was particularly helpful too & knowledgeable about the wines. Would definitely recommend and go back again.Special Features:
- RegularATYZDined on 31/7/2014Not bad....not fantastic. Came from London for the day...could have waited to get back to London for the meal...Special Features:
- Great meal and food! Top notch!EveBDined on 12/7/2014The restaurant was booked for my dads 60th birthday and they accommodated all our preferences (round table and champagne at the table). The service was brilliant and very attentive, but not intrusive on the occasion. All meals were excellent and cooked to perfection- the fillet of beef was very tasty. The lamb was gorgeous and the monk fish was succulent. It was a nice touch bringing petit fours on a birthday plate for my dad at the end if the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent lunchclonanDined on 13/6/2014On a recent trip to Birmingham to see the Pet Shop Boys in the Arena myself and my significant other decided to make a whole weekend of it. I had searched for somewhere nice for lunch and found Opus, it looked good, and was very reasonable . It didn't disappoint. When we arrived we were greeted very warmly and shown to our table. We ordered a bottle of wine and perused the very short Market Menu . We both opted for the Pork Terrine which with the homemade rolls was delicious, We then ordered the Cod and Calves liver both outstanding dishes, dessert was heaven on a plate and coffee and tea to follow. This was Outstanding value at £16 even with the huge gap between the euro and sterling. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- No bookingDinertakesallDined on 11/6/2014The restaurant was booked for our 26 wedding anniversary, when we arrived we were told we had no booking as the restaurant was booked for a private function, the staff we spoke to were abrupt and matter of fact about the situation. The most they could do was to try and phone around and try to find us a table at an alternative restaurant. We did not take up the offer and left. A very very disapointing experience.Special Features:
- A great place to celebrateSuziTDined on 31/5/2014I dined here with two girlfriends to celebrate a birthday and engagement. We ordered from the Market Menu which was incredibly good value and meant we could afford to add in a few extra treats. The service was exceptional, the greeting warm and friendly, the wine recommendation was excellent and most importantly the food was delicious. I highly recommend the Apricot Sorbet!Special Features:
- TerrificDavidDined on 24/5/2014A must go to resturant food and service is outstanding great experience. Wine a little expensive but most resturants are these days.Special Features:
- Great food but business atmosphereAP25Dined on 23/5/2014Food was wonderful. Service was excellent. The only thing lacking was the atmosphere - that said this would be the perfect venue for a business meal.Special Features:
- Quiet Friday NightlbidsDined on 9/5/2014Restaurant s beautifully presented with a sophisticated feel. We chose the set menu at £16 for 3 courses which is good value for nice quality food. Although we did both order the Lamb to be told it wasn't available, my only criticism would be that we should have been informed as we were handed the menu as we had sat and considered our choice for about 10 minutes. The restaurant was very quiet and felt rather empty therefore it was lacking in ambience and atmosphere. Overall we would visit again but maybe try at lunchtime.Special Features:
- Great little placeZcapVIPDined on 8/5/2014Nice food, good service and value....particularly with the toptable deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite niceTommyDined on 25/4/2014It's a pretty decent restaurant with a couple of nice fish options, a good cheese board and a decent wine list. A decent sized steak would be a good addition to the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brian&CarolBrianandcarolDined on 12/4/2014This is the place for a night out, a special occasion or a very nice meal. Modern setting, splendid sevice, excellent wine to compliment a menu designed to be enjoyed. One of Brum's best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The OpusfeedmeDined on 2/4/2014A gem of a restaurant, in a city spoilt with them. service was friendly and attentive without being intrusive, nice spacious tables, great menu with good food providence. Also a mention to the wine list. The wine we had was really lovely, and we have been looking for it ever since.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Food, Service could be betterMrBrownDined on 29/3/2014Let me start by saying that the food was delicious, that was when it finally arrived it took 45 minutes from ordering to have the food in front of us. When we inquired as to when the food when would arrive, we received a sharp retort that the medium- well steaks take longer to cook. I understand there was 8 in our group, but considering only 2 had medium-well steaks it still a long time. Portion size was decent, but a main alone would not fill you up. We felt a little isolated from the rest of the restaurant as our table was situated near the door. Final point is the fact we had to ask for the bill twice before we got it 15 minutes after we originally asked for it. Overall enjoyable experience, a few tweaks and it would of been even betterSpecial Features:
- Market Menu for lunch is good. Musitez414Dined on 26/3/2014Market Menu for lunch is good. Music and accuracy of bill not so. ***
- Excellent valuefoodforoccasionsDined on 25/3/2014Another excellent meal at Opus. The market menu has to be the best value around and is always good. The food is well presented and although the choice is limited they are always prepared to offer an alternative. The restaurant itself could be described as being somewhat stark but this time there were more people so my impression changed. The staff seem to change frequently but it does not seem to have a negative effect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food-rude waiterFoodyAwardsDined on 21/3/2014Great food and restaurant. Eaten here before and it never disappoints!! Shame they got the bill wrong and the waiter was quite rude and blamed us for it until the manager came and sorted. Overall great thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodRustyDined on 21/3/2014The food is great from the market menu which two of us tried although The other order from the main menu seemed expensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for our 20th weddingPLJ1Dined on 15/3/2014We went for our 20th wedding anniversary with friends. Food was excellent (try the oysters) and the wine was spot on too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely afternoonKerryDined on 9/3/2014Lovely afternoon - The suggestion of wine was perfect. will go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining at OpusgregevDined on 8/3/2014Opus has become my favourite Birmingham restaurant. Skilful cooking served in a relaxed, friendly environment. For a special occasion it can't be faulted. Beautiful food, beautifully presented. Service and ambience are also second to none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpusPauloDined on 4/3/2014We visited Opus with friends and decided to choose from the Market Menu which was excellent value at £16.00 for 3 courses. The menu although limited provided sufficient choice but beware of the cost of drinks. The drinks and service charge were 50% of the food cost, taking into account I was only drinking water this was excessive. However the service was excellent but would have preferred to pay the normal 10% rather than 12.5%Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb - As Always.ChrissyGDined on 1/3/2014Wonderful staff and delicious food ( and of course wine ) always make for an excellent meal. The venison and fillet steak is always cooked to perfection. By far my favourite restaurant in Birmingham. Yes, it was a very busy night and we had to wait for a table. But the best things are worth waiting for, especially over a glass of the delicious Chilean Merlot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceDinnerdateDined on 1/3/2014Kept waiting for table for 40 mins no explanation for 30 mins All this despite been told table was ready on arrival Didn't have time for starter as planning later Good main but poor sides- over cooked /dry mash Drinks very over priced
- Oh dear what a disappointment!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/3/2014Waited an hour to be seated After finishing starter sweet menus arrived along with spoon and knife Salt and pepper taken from table, returned, taken and then returned Waited 15 mins for glass of wine On leaving I was given two coats that didn't belong to us Basically it was a shambles. We got two free drinks and the service charge taken off the bill. Shame as good was great!
- Great food, staff good, messedJstmltDined on 15/2/2014Great food, staff good, messed up with appetiser but resolved, din not have wine we ordered but gave a great substitute. Menu good, it's not cheap but you get what you pay for! Would returnSpecial Features:
- Incredible!ShelleyDined on 11/2/2014Fantastic food with a really nice ambience. Friendly staff who are not too in your face & let you enjoy your meal. Food was hot and suberbly presented. Opus is a real gem of a place in Birmingham. An opportunity not to be missedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top experienceFinedinerDined on 4/2/2014We eat mid week at Opus, with some Dutch colleagues during a trade show at the NEC . Food was excellent, staff very attentive and friendly, very good value for money especially the set meals. One of my Dutch colleagues who knows his wines was very impressed with the wine list.Special Features:
- Go to OpusMandBDined on 2/2/2014Booked late on for Sunday lunch without a problem; enough people in restaurant for a good buzz (at 2pm) but not noisy; able to hear ourselves speak. Service efficient and courteous without being over the top. Sensible prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday mealJonesDined on 1/2/2014Took my husband for a birthday meal to Opus as I have eaten there on many occasions and no the food to be excellent. Pleased to confirm the food as usual was very good, a little disappointed with the service on arrival though as having arrived at 7pm our starters eventually arrived at the table at 7.50 p.m. which meant we were not able to order a dessert as we had to rush off to catch a train. Apart from this it was a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkFittiDined on 18/1/2014Not a very cosy restaurant but lots of space. I had a very tasty fish dish, and my date had lamb which wasn't particularly special. Had a fantastic wine recommendation from the waiter which was a reasonably-priced bottle too. They accidentally gave us the wrong bill. I would go again if they had another offer on to get the best value, and have a fish or vegetarian dish as they seem to be bit more inventive.Special Features:
- it was goodSheilaNorthfieldDined on 11/1/2014My partner and I had heard Opus was good, well we were delighted by the whole experience. We had an enjoyable night and we will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A business lunchJPdineDined on 2/12/2013Opus Restaurant is very welcoming, friendly when you arrive, smartly dressed tables well spread apart and huge glass windows which spread light all around. We had a short 70 minutes for our business lunch and our visitors from London were highly impressed. Venison cooked to perfection with perfect touches such as figs, delicious fish and rare lamb. I wish we had had longer to enjoy more courses. All of us would recommend Opus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top restaurant in great location.JohnCDined on 29/11/2013Most impressed with this restaurant, clean, bright, and unclutered. My wife and I went on a Friday night, the restaurant was nearly full but didn't feel rushed or crowded. Service friendly and efficient, food really very good. Very nice location in the smart part of the city close to the centre. Will happily go back when in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 88 reviews are from the Opus Restaurant reviews archive.
- much better than expectationteddythetankerDined on 20/9/2013lovely restaurant here. we ordered set menu which is of great value. starters are soup and smoked salmon - fresh and considerable quality level. main course are pork collar and fish - fish is a bit dry but full of flavour, pork collar is soft and juicy. especially love the jus - seasoned very well. desserts are eton mess - very delicious. decoration is good - some paintings fro ikon gallery. bright and roomy space - love it. waiters and waitresses are warm, considering and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- With only two occupied tablesdadspayingagainDined on 16/8/2013With only two occupied tables upon arrival we chose to drink at the bar first. The whole pace of the evening was relaxed and unhurried which allowed us to savour the divine food along with eight tables although several times this number of covers could be served. All three of our starters produced a draw in the "who chose best?" competition (a supremely light fishcake, squid to die for and pork/black pudding terrine - honestly!) but the duck came out as clear champion of the mains. I know this restaurant is in the business district but more people should give the bright lights of Brindley Place and its environs a miss in favour of some real quality - we have already booked our return visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!mousy105Dined on 14/2/2013Once again an excellent experience, came here on valentines day for the 3 course meal for £25 - which was excellent value! Food was brilliant and the vegetarian options for the girl friend were good too. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely meal, just a shameKimble9Dined on 18/1/2013Lovely meal, just a shame it was quiet as it felt slightly awkward at times. Will definitely be going again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful night out verymsbeeDined on 12/1/2013A Wonderful night out very good food and outstanding serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.