Osteria Antica Bologna
23 Northcote Road
London, SW11 1NGNeighbourhood:
ItalianPrice: £26 to £40
Osteria Antica Bologna
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.osteria.co.uk/
- Phone: 02079784771
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12pm - 2:30pm, 6pm - 10:30pm
Saturday: 12pm - 4pm, 6pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 12pm - 4pm, 6pm - 10pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Italian, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Marzio Zacchi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Osteria Antica Bologna
A Northcote Road favourite for over twenty years - that’s an awfully long time on the London restaurant scene - Antica Bologna is as fresh and thrilling as the day it first opened its doors, it conjures up images of hidden away village osterias in the wild countryside of Emilia Romagna or the rolling hills of Tuscany, its cheerful welcome befitting of an old family favourite. Chef Marzio Zacchi passionately believes in using fresh, locally sourced and seasonal produce having grown up in the Piemonte countryside surrounded by a family who reared chickens, grew veg and cured their own salami. However, despite his rustic upbringing, Zacchi has brought to Osteria Antica Bologna’s food the kind of sophistication that can only be gained through several years training in top London restaurants.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Osteria Antica Bologna reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since 2 June 2014
fit for foodies (57)romance (46)special occasions (40)group bookings (28)sunday lunch (28)good vegetarian options (23)outstanding value (20)outdoor eating (17)business meals (13)child friendly (12)pre/post theatre (6)brunch (6)disabled access (3)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- Excellent food and service!LizPDined on 27/9/2014Our dinner was fantastic - I've never had a better starter salad (spinach and goat's cheese), and the pasta was so perfectly prepared that the taste was exquisite. The restaurant is very casual, but there's an energetic buzz that makes for a fun evening. The service was knowledgable, attentive and friendly - we will definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian passion in every courseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 26/9/2014Antica Bologna's food is absolutely delicious plus an outstanding service...what more could one ask for! There is an uncomfortable acoustic though...if your seated next to a large table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good foodAndreaMDined on 24/9/2014It is a bit noisy and the tables are to close to each other.Special Features:
- Sunday eveningBethDined on 21/9/2014Lovely little restaurant in a busy area with lots of other eateries around. Great food and wine and a definite Italian vibe and ambience. It was nice to see several Italians dining as well!! Busy, without being crammed, for a Sunday. Not surprised though as it is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food in relaxed atmosphereHWDSDined on 10/9/2014We rediscovered the Osteria recently and can only say it has now become our favourite local Italian, particularly on price compared to the competition. Delicious simple food served well in a relaxed environment and with great service.Special Features:
- Beautiful pastaMrsJonesDined on 28/8/2014We had three pasta dishes to share and each one was beautifully flavoured. The service was also very good attentive and unobtrusive. It does get a little loud when it is full of diners but that also adds to the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodloversDined on 21/8/2014Osteria Antica Bologna welcomed us warmly and we enjoyed our food. Look forward to going there again.Special Features:
- Excellent little ItalianSarahOCDined on 7/8/2014Am a regular diner on the Northcote Road but this was my first visit to Osteria Antica Bologna. I was pleasantly surprised. The food was excellent, hearty Italian fare.Special Features:
- PreRaphaelitePreRaphaeliteDined on 19/7/2014On the whole the food is good, although my gnocchi was slightly over cooked, but it's very overpriced, particularly for the portion sizes.
- Great night outOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 1/7/2014Great night out - definitely recommend! Food and service we great and atmosphere was buzzy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectSteevenDined on 22/6/2014We've been a few days ago to this beautfiul restaurant called "Antica Bologna". Really nice food, good and friendly service with the right price. I absolutely reccomend it!Special Features:
- Italian Classics with a TwistStefanoDined on 19/6/2014Super fresh burrata, with a heap of halved cherry tomatoes - a good dish that coud have been more exciting with a different pairing. Braised leg of rabbit with peas and parma ham - a good idea that would have been even better with fresh peas; it is the season! Lemon sole with clams and crayfish - excellent idea. More hits than misses. Based on classic Italian dishes. You get the picture. Not perfect, but pretty reliable and not too expensive either.Special Features:
- Great placeMuppetDined on 19/6/2014Service was attentive and friendly. Food was really tasty. I had crab pasta and can highly recommend it. Atmosphere was really good - although I agree with other viewers that this may not be the case if you're in a table out the back. Really good value too.Special Features:
- Consistently excellentcmdoyleDined on 17/6/2014Osteria Antica Bologna continues to be one of our favourite restaurants in Clapham, with consistently high-quality food, atmosphere, and service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 14/6/2014I booked this restaurant for a group of 7 knowing nothing about it. It turned out to be a winner for us! Food was fabulously fresh and tasty - in particular, I ordered the sole for my main course which was superb. Staff were very pleasant and attentive but not intrusive. We will most definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bethhayesDined on 10/6/2014As always, outstanding food and service. The menu is not a typical Italian eaterie's fare: very imaginative and the set lunch (£15 for 2 courses) is excellent value. The portions are huge. A small gem in the heart of Clapham!Special Features:
- ExcellentvicnewbyDined on 9/6/2014Love this place so much I hate to share it- great food (always outstanding) exceptional service - it's my favourite I'm all of claphamSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waitinggameDined on 4/6/2014perfect for a relaxed mid week supper catching up with friendsI would recommend this to a friend.
- Like a local ItalianBelleDined on 25/5/2014This is always excellent and not to be passed by. Tasty and reali Italian food.Special Features:
- Fab ItalianUstwoDined on 20/5/2014Booked dinner here for it's good location. We were 15 mins late but this was not a problem, we received a very warm welcome. Charming Italian waiters who described the menu to us. It was a busy evening but our 3 course meal arrived promptly. DELICIOUS Vitello tonnato and a lamb special. It all tasted very authentic. Would DEFINITELY book againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocresw19dinerDined on 16/5/2014We had an enjoyable evening for dinner with friends, but the restaurant decor feels dated, rather than classic, and the food is fine but very overpriced for what it is. I ordered gnocchi as a starter which was good but £7.50. I had steak as a main course for £17. A fairly thin and average cut of meat, well cooked topped with sautéed mushrooms (good variety of chanterelles). Dessert was a pistachio creme brûlée. The brûlée was served in a cup (rather than in a wide container, the bottom was still fridge cold and there's hardly any sugar topping. My companions felt the same - food ok, nothing to write home about, but too expensive. There was a suggested tip tacked on to the bill - but no mention of it on the menu, and no idea of its %
- Good food and atmosphereLouLou1Dined on 10/5/2014I went here with a couple of friends on a Saturday evening and it was very busy. The table was a bit small for us, but overall the food and service was very good and I would recommend for genuine lovers of Italian food.Special Features:
- Great place!CKSW4Dined on 9/5/2014Lovely italian restaurant for a meal with friends. Food was very good (especially the pasta), super friendly service and great atmosphere. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10ogDined on 1/5/2014Booked weeks in advance for a thursday 7.30 dinner with an old school friend. i had not been to the restaurant for years since i lived in the area. the outside used to be old italian,now it's bright orange. inside we were on a small round table, very close to other couples on small tables. the food was lovely, service good, but we didn't have enough space & it was very very noisy. although the meal was great, i don't think i'd go back for these reasons sadly. it would probably be better for a busy lunch.Special Features:
- Enjoyable & intimatehblikethepencilDined on 26/4/2014My brother, boyfriend and I enjoyed a lovely evening here on a Saturday. Even though it was busy, it wasn't crammed - the ambience was relaxed and the staff were friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. The food was great, and as a veggie there was plenty of pasta dishes to choose from, and the pasta was perfectly made. They boys said how well the meat was cooked and seasoned. The wine list was great too, and we had cocktails to start which was fun. Have often walked past, thinking that it looked a bit cheap, but would definitely come back for the interesting but traditional menu and great service.Special Features:
- Great experiencebtiwDined on 25/4/2014Went there with a friend in April, sat on the table closest to the door. Didn't get too chilly as there's a portable heater nearby, which is very handy. Food was great. Service was great too. Ordered a starter and a main, and was too full to have dessert. Great value for money. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and simpleBigGVIPDined on 25/4/2014What struck me most was the freshness of the ingredients and the unfussy cooking which brought out the best in them. Clearly popular with locals and regulars and easy to see why.
- Fabulous restaurantRosieDDined on 15/4/2014This restaurant is an absolute joy for anyone who loves Italian food. Consistently excellent cuisine and very good value for money. Atmosphere is always buzzy. I was last here on a Tuesday night and it was packed. Great place - most recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/4/2014It was fantastic meals and good selection of wines. We really enjoyed my birthday lunch. Friendly staffs looked after us very well. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quick lunchjamesDined on 8/4/2014An excellent place for a quick or long lunch. We had a quick one. food extremely good and plenty of choice. service a bit slow even though there were plenty of staff milling around. Food and drink came promptly once ordered but getting the attention of staff was not easy, we were sitting insideSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner with 2 friendsBrightongirlDined on 3/4/2014I have been coming to this restaurant on and off for years. I have not been for a while because the last time I went it did not have a great choice for a vegetarian friend. However, this time the choice was great for her too. Really good food. The only slight negative was that it was very noisy as there was a big group at a nearby table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great little localCazzaDined on 29/3/2014went with a vegetarian friend and lots of options for him. unfortunately we were seated by the alley-way in the back part of restaurant, would next time ask for front section. otherwise cheap and cheerful italianSpecial Features:
- Love this restaurant and havemarcoDined on 29/3/2014Love this restaurant and have been going for a few years. Something that is actually very rare a well priced authentic Italian restaurant in London. Most are either incredibly over priced or poor trattoria serving Pizza and stodgy lasagne. The service is good but not overly fussy. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My starter of a selectionscoffalotDined on 29/3/2014My starter of a selection of deep-fried seafood was delicious. Sadly, my main course option was disappointing. I opted for the lamb steak which was quite gristly and rather chewy. My poor father-in-law ordered the pork belly but it was so over-cooked it was inedible. It's a pity because the staff worked so hard to please but the food, on the whole, just wasn't up to scratch.
- Went for an evening with asusiebabyDined on 25/3/2014Went for an evening with a friend. It was busy and the food and service were good. It was a nice relaxing atmosphere and would definitely go again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfussy and perfectgoingtopolandDined on 22/3/2014I've been going to this restaurant on and off for years and it never fails. My salad starter was simple but with a delicious dressing and the calves liver was cooked to perfection which is not always the case. Friends ate the deep fried courgettes followed by pasta and reported unfussy perfection. They don't overload the plates which meant there was space for dessert - a highly praised creme brûlée served in a cup and a similarly applauded tiramisu. Service just right. I shall definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- proper traditional italiansdoigmDined on 15/3/2014Really good meal, proper traditional Italians, pasta was incredible, steak was very very good, nice selection of reasonably priced wine (mostly Italian), friendly efficient service, nice ambience (traditional trattoria rather than posh or fancy), reasonably priced, busy and buzzing atmosphere.Special Features:
- Fab Food, Great ServiceEllaJFattyDined on 14/3/2014I have really high standards and usually find something to "improve", this restaurant was wonderful. Absolutely delicious & great service.Special Features:
- Lovely food!LipstickjaneDined on 13/3/2014Went with three friends and we tried a number of the specials that day - including fried artichokes, monkfish with cherry tomatoes, spinach and black olives and rump lamb. I enjoyed fruit misto followed by the monkfish dish, which were both delicious. We also enjoyed a very nice bottle if Chardonnay from Friuli (one ov May favourite Chardonnays) and this was well- matched with the food. One if my friends had quite a lot of fat on her full Lamb but this was soon changed for another dish. A very nice meal all round.Special Features:
- Great little piece of ItalyGems123Dined on 8/3/2014This restaurant is like stepping off Northcote Road and into an Italian gastronimic delight. The staff are efficient and helpful, the food is delicious and the atmosphere is charming and slightly rustic. The wine list is perhaps slightly short and limited but that's more than made up for by the food and the ever changing list of specials. If you like your food you'll love Antica Bologna!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.