Patara - Soho
15 Greek Street
London, W1D 4DPNeighbourhood:
ThaiPrice: £26 to £40
Patara - Soho
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pataralondon.com/
- Phone: 020 7437 1071
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday 12pm to 2.30pm, 6.00pm to 11:00pm
Sunday: Lunch closed and Dinner 6:00pm to 10:30pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Thai
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Wheelchair Access
A word from Patara - Soho
One of a family of worldwide restaurants, London’s Patara restaurant brings sophisticated Thai dining to Soho’s Greek Street. Tastefully decorated with plenty of atmosphere thanks to subdued lighting, huge pots of orchids, flickering candles, silk-covered banquettes and Thai figurines inlaid with glass mosaic tiles, it’s ideal for a romantic dinner for two. The Patara kitchen is ambitious, producing excellent creations of classic Thai cuisine like tom yum goong soup; beef with green curry and;, of course, pad Thai noodles. The service is renowned for its excellence and the wine list begins at a reasonably-priced level. Someone in the kitchen has an eye for beauty, too, because at Patara restaurant each dish is exquisitely arranged to delight your eye as well as your palate. Patara Thai restaurant is a haven from Soho’s scruffiness; a glamorous, romantic, authentic, professional spot for an excellent dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerThai
Patara - Soho - Best restaurants in Soho ›
Patara - Soho reviews from OpenTable diners
256 reviews since 26 November 2013
fit for foodies (110)special occasions (106)romance (100)pre/post theatre (89)business meals (84)group bookings (58)good vegetarian options (45)outstanding value (15)outdoor eating (7)disabled access (4)brunch (4)sunday lunch (3)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- Tasty treats (when they finally do arrive)VirginiaPVIPDined on 21/11/2014Patara serves great Thai food with international twists - every part of our dinner is good or great, but we need to wait a while for some of it. My starter is a plate of do-it-yourself chicken and prawn tacos, which are messy but fun, if a bit too restrained in terms of flavours. More powerful is my main course of slow braised beef in an aromatic coconut reduction with fresh lime, lemongrass and chilli, which I pour over delicious, sticky brown rice, perfect for soaking up the tangy juices. The beef is slightly fiddly as quite a fat and gelatinous cut, but tender and delicious, well worth any effort. Dessert is a baked banana served with homemade vanilla pod ice-cream, pleasingly sprinkled with cinnamon and what I take to be palm sugar. So where is the issue? Waiting times are long, and at times unacceptably long. We ask for a beer and a cup of jasmine tea not once, not twice but FIVE different times before getting our drinks. I am halfway through the main course (!!!) when the beer arrives - but where's my tea? We ask once more. I've almost finished eating, and finally my tea materializes. Waits for the main course are also notable (we wait about 25 minutes between the appetizers and our mains), but at least we don't need to ask six times. Yes the restaurant is busy, but this should not be unusual for Soho's Patara. The food is very good, the ambiance fab and very "city", but be in no rush to leave or even to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food and atmosphere but ..JosephineDined on 15/11/2014Really enjoyed the food here and the atmosphere was lovely. However we felt very much like we were shipped in and out. When we arrived on time for our booking we had to wait 15 mins to be seated, then due to their 2 hours only slots we were asked to leave at 9pm on the dot. The service otherwise was great, quick service and polite: just clearly trying to get as many people in and out as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Disappointing - Bland food, small portionsAngelrockDined on 15/11/2014Was a choice between Asia De Cuba where i've been before and enjoyed or Patara, thought i'd try the Patara and what a bad decision. Food was average to poor, portions small and taste wise non descript. We went for the pre theatre menu - to start we had king prawn with lemongrass which tasted ok but gave you three small king prawns butterflied (so 3 mouthfulls), and the Thai fishcakes which were awful, 4 small fishcakes dripping in grease / oil that tasted like a soggy spanish omelette rather than a thai fishcake, couldn't see any resemblance of fish in the fish cake. Now for the main course - Prawn stir fry with mushrooms and vegetable, again 3 prawns (3 mouthfulls) and some stir fried veg, just tasteless. The wife had the pan seared salmon with lemongrass which was anything but pan seared, more like left in the pan for ages. It was overcooked and anything but moist. On a plus point, service was fine and restaurant decor is ok. Hardly write reviews here, however food was so underwhelming and poor, I felt I should voice my opinion. Give it a miss, there are loads of other great places to enjoy before a show.Special Features:
- One of the best!valencia1Dined on 12/11/2014Visited Patara Soho this week and was most impressed! The atmosphere was very nice and the service friendly and efficient. The food was outstanding. Lots of interesting things on the menu and everything we ordered was delicious! Only criticism would be price. Starters and side dishes are a bit too pricey. That said, I'd definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than just a chain of Thai restaurantTCClubDined on 8/11/2014Went here late on a Saturday for birthday celebrations and they did not disappoint. One ordered for all with assistance from the waiter and the quality of food was really good with just about the right amount to eat. If you are looking for the cream of Thai restaurants then this isn't for you but if you just want some good quality food in a relaxed venue then this place hits the spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ThaiMarjeDined on 7/11/2014Good food and good ambiance. Although it took a little longer to order and for food to come to us,my friend and myself enjoyed the food. They were also nice enough when I made the odd request of having my phone charged since it was about to die and I still needed to use it for the rest of the night. I can imagine it would the place would be good for business lunches and catching up with friends but not for romantic dinners.Special Features:
- Wonderful Amazing !!lovelycam22Dined on 1/11/2014I went to this restaurant with 2 friends. We were impressed by the quality of the service ! Good food, Nice people and the restaurant is beautiful !! I paid 35 gbp for an amazing dinner Soho is a nice area ! We were in London for 2 days and that restaurant is one of my favorite memory !! i would gladly go back if i had the chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as everwotnocaravanDined on 29/10/2014We have visited Patara probably 15 times in the past few years at the end of a day trip to London. It never fails to be consistently good, with efficient service and very tasty Thai food. Always an enjoyable treat. We will certainly be back again - and certainly as long as 'lamb skewers' stay on the menu (my wife's favourite starter)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reunion lunchChrisDined on 28/10/2014Great lunch with ex business buddies. We all had the OT 4 course special inc glass of prosseco. Great value. Starters were a great mix of 5 different items. Salmon main was superb as were the scallops if a little hot. Service VG although restaurant quite quiet. A great venue and noshI would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food good locationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 25/10/2014Food and location of this restaurant were excellent. I thought it was reasonably priced although service was a little slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't get service so we leftCharlieBDined on 25/10/2014We walked in and the host was talking excitedly on the phone for ten minutes without once looking at us. The other various staff walked around rapidly talking to each other without talking to us. When we finally got a table, it was tiny and bumped right up against another couple so closely that it was like we were in their laps. We made an executive decision to just leave. Went to the Spanish tapas place Pix nearby and had a terrific time.Special Features:
- DelightfulHaddockDined on 24/10/2014Wonderful food, impeccable service - a little pricey but nice for a treat. A very buzzy atmosphere therefore good for a catch up with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Set menu - good dealJoeNW6Dined on 23/10/2014Prosecco set menu at £28 per person via OpenTable. Mixed starter platter included two lacklustre tacos (3/10), soft shell crab (5/10), pork and prawn dumpling (6/10), a decent chicken satay (7/10), and a sweet purple dumpling filled with what I believe was coconut (8/10 - excellent, though perhaps too sweet for some as a starter). Main was beef lemongrass curry (8/10). Veggies cooked to perfection. Creme brulee dessert was a big disappointment and inedible for us. Service was excellent - courteous and subtle. For what we paid - excellent value. Will return to try their full menu.Special Features:
- Good food & interior, slow serviceNat76Dined on 18/10/2014One of the additional reasons (besides location) for us to pick and try Patara was that 2 of our party of 7 are vegans. As it says on the menu, that they can accommodate such requests and we should tell staff we thought it would be a good choice. However, when we then asked to make the fried rice vegan (just leave out the eggs and fish sauce) the brief response was 'no, we can't do this' which was a bit underwhelming. It does require to explicitly mention that the curry should be made very hot as otherwise it is just very bland. Service is very slow, it seems that they are understaffed. In a nutshell it was all good but not great. Instead of returning we would probably check another Thai restaurant in that area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ms BrancoDress2dineDined on 15/10/2014I had lunch once at the Patara in Knightsbridge and I really enjoyed. The Soho experience wasn't as nice. The sauces were very sweet and the pineapple and prawn curry only tasted pineapple.
- Like eating in ThailandoztravellerDined on 14/10/2014Beautiful food, beautiful atmosphere and a wonderful evening overall. They don't offer just average Thai food, using interesting combinations but still tasting like it was made fresh in Thailand.Special Features:
- restaurant fantasticDana1809Dined on 14/10/2014The restaurant was fantastic and the food excellent. Unfortunately we had to rush to the theatre but we will certainly be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely....SuzeDined on 11/10/2014Lovely restaurant in Soho, close to loads of buzzing bars etc. Food is gorgeous but a little expensive.Special Features:
- Delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2014We had a delicious meal here with great veggie options as there is a whole vegetarian meal available. Great drinks too but only complaint is the air con downstairs left us both feeling ill and blocked up by the time we left!Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysboleroseDined on 10/10/2014I always eat at Patara any time i visit London, and every day in a 3 day visit! Excellent food, ambience, service. Especially love the veal massaman. The only negative is that there is no Patara in Dublin - please open one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place and foodDaveymancDined on 4/10/2014This is the second time we have visited and again we were not disappointed. Had the early special which was excellent value and included Scallops and King Prawn on the set menu, very good choice of items to suit all tastes. Despite being a party of 8 and the table had to be cleared by 8pm (2 hours). We were over the time and at no stage did we feel rushed or asked to leave. (which is more than can be said for many places). Nice atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodKendall1979Dined on 3/10/2014The experience you receive at patara is world class. The flavours are authentically Thai yet unique. Portions are also a good size so you won't go home hugnry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodCHCHDined on 2/10/2014The choice is exemplary... And delicious... The scallops are a real treatSpecial Features:
- Lacking the oomph !1NONLYDined on 30/9/2014We had the Prosecco Set meal @ £28 per person which was interesting . Combination starter platter :- the single battered soft shelled crab was tasty although quite greasy , the taco filling lacked definitive taste , the single chicken satay was nice , the single pork and prawn dumpling was ok but the purple dumpling of sweet coconut (?) felt incongruous as part of the mainly savoury starter. The mains of scallops with basil was spicy and nice (3 scallops sliced in half to provide 6 pieces ), the beef in lemongrass curry reduction was meltingly good accompanied by steamed jasmine rice and stir fried vegetables. Dessert was lemongrass Creme brulee and finished with lemongrass tea. Table linen replaced by vinyl runners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, nice placeJPC19Dined on 28/9/2014Overall I was happy with the experience and the restaurant has a nice vibe.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - Disappointing servicekarmaDined on 27/9/2014+ Food was really nice and tasty! - Even though we had a reservation we had to wait at least 20 mins for a table - One person in the group did not get their starter and another one did not get their main course. The waiter told them that what they ordered was not available after the food was already served to everyone else on our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Meal - Patara, SohoJourney2Dined on 27/9/2014My wife and I went for a meal at Patara, Soho for the first time. Well, what can I say - it was a fantastic experience from the moment we stepped through the door to the minute we left. Great ambience all through the evening, lovely decor, service and food. The service was friendly and efficient, and the food was probably the best Thai food I've eaten in the UK. Every course was delicious and I couldn't find even the slightest fault with the whole experience. It is more expensive than most Thai restaurants, but it is fine dining and the bill was still reasonable for the excellent quality of service and food. I would highly recommend this restaurant, and hope to return again before long. Five stars!!Special Features:
- Good food, good service.BuddhabelleDined on 27/9/2014We were a group of 6 celebrating a birthday on a Saturday night. Although initially told there was a time limit to our table through our booking confirmation email, the staff were very welcoming, didn't mention the time limit and did not rush us at all. Food was delicious and filling, good service even though the restaurant was busy. Unfortunately we were sat by the toilets so the atmosphere/surroundings were a little ruined even though I had rang beforehand saying it was for a celebration but the rest of the place seemed nice. Price was a little on the high side but it is in the middle of soho and so it was to be expected. We spent £30-40pp including a few drinks. Would recommend Patara to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but...RachelDined on 24/9/2014The food was excellent, tasty and flavourful. Lovely room, great ambiance. But, we had a reservation at 9:30 and as soon as we sat down we were being told when last orders were. The waitress seem to want to leave before we did! When I booked on open table it mentioned having the table for 2 hours. the restaurant should explain to that staff that just because they are late diners, they have every right to enjoy a leisurely meal. Luckily our first waitress was replaced and we managed to have an enjoyable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceHoneybeeDined on 24/9/2014Staff are attentive ; service is excellent. Food is lovely. One of my favourite restaurants in London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I already want to eat there againAliMDined on 20/9/2014Coming from Australia I am use to good easily available Thai. This is the first Thai restaurant in London that I want to come back to and would recommend to others. The thai green chicken curry was delicious and balanced perfectly. The black cod was good, but I think next time I will try the deep fried sea bass. The only let down was the dumplings, with only one of the three being very good. Service perfect and price equals the quality of the food.Special Features:
- Great ambienceApoorv03VIPDined on 19/9/2014Food was great (slightly oily). Ambience was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is excellent and consistent!KikiDined on 13/9/2014I made the last minute booking on Saturday and got a table at 21:15. Definitely thrilled since I wanted to make an impression on my friends who have just moved to London. The food was excellent and consistent! The Satay trio, papaya salad and green are always the favourite. I am always the only vegetarian in the group hence love it when they have dedicated vegetarian menu to impress. My only gripe about the evening was the fact they messed but our wine order, they didn't over charge but certainly made it clear that they were doing us a 'favour'. We didn't argue further and continued with our evening. It was very crowded and considering that, the service was good overall.Special Features:
- PoorHofty14Dined on 13/9/2014Recommended, however whole experience was poor. Long waits for food, raw lamb, order taken incorrectly, I could go on. And then to have the audacity to put a tip on the bill!! Won't be back.Special Features:
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/9/2014The service and the standard of food was exemplary, would 100% recommend this restauarant to anybody.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AccommodatingKashDined on 12/9/2014I thought I had booked the restaurant with a special offer but when we arrived there was no note of it, i.e. I hadn't ticked the box for the offer. The staff informed us but without any problem let us have the offer anyway. The food was great and the service was very good indeed. We did get asked to vacate the table but it was after our 2 hour allocation was up and we were then taken to a table in the bar where we finished our drinks at leisure. I would definitely recommend this restaurant - customer satisfaction is obviously very important to them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goof food but poor serviceThaionFridayDined on 12/9/2014The food is nice and tasty but expensive overall. The service is poor and patchy. We were a large group and they gave us a decent table and didnt rush us through dinner which the group appreciated.
- That treat in SohobambiDined on 9/9/2014A lovely place in the heart of soho. Excellent service and great food. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!CatCDined on 6/9/2014I'd read the reviews prior to going, the food was amazing but what surprised me was the service that (compared to reviews) was very attentive, I don't like people bothering me too quickly, they had the timing just right in my opinion. Like I said the food was amazing and I will definitely be going back, lovely!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Value, Service and FoodSteveDined on 6/9/2014Had been to this restaurant once before and was delighted to return for equally great service and food. Best Thai Fine Dining Option in Soho.