18 Bridge St,
York, YO1 6DANeighbourhood:
ItalianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.individualrestaurants.com/piccolino/york/
- Phone: 01904 521155
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday 12:00noon - 11:00PM
Sunday 12:00noon - 10:30PM
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Wine
A word from Piccolino York
Located on Bridge Street overlooking the river Ouse, Piccolino brings a true taste of Italy to the heart of the city. The restaurant offers a wonderful combination of both modern and classic Italian dishes prepared in an open kitchen in full view of diners. Fresh pasta is made daily from scratch in our pasta kitchen and is a charming spectacle for guests to watch. Our dishes are rustic, simple and delicious and are created using the best, freshest ingredientsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Piccolino York - Best restaurants in York ›
Piccolino York reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since 26 November 2013
special occasions (20)group bookings (17)romance (11)pre/post theatre (11)business meals (10)fit for foodies (9)outstanding value (6)brunch (4)good vegetarian options (3)child friendly (2)sunday lunch (1)disabled access (1)Show More
- Great ItalianGodsVIPDined on 7/11/2014Was really impressed. Best Italian meal I have had in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't botherSupertrooper137Dined on 25/10/2014We found that the meals we had in general were far too salty, the fish was over cooked and when we were asked at the end of our meal what we thought there was no attempt at any form of compensation regards what was not a good value experience. The restaurant was over crammed, too full and far too noisy to the point where conversation was difficult. Service however was very good, although having asked for the bill we waited over 12 minutes before we decided to walk to the till to pay ourselves! The meal was overpriced for what is a canteen atmosphere in rushed cooking styled meals. Don't bother.
- TAOB94Dined on 12/10/2014Really enjoyed our meal here on Sunday 12.10.2014. From us arriving we were asked to wait to ensure we were able to be seated in a window seat, all of the staff were friendly and couldn't do enough for us. The food was lovely and the bill came to much less than we expected!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyCatsWhiskers2Dined on 8/10/2014I was eating with my daughter and we each had one of the smaller portions of pasta and shared 3 different side dishes. For us, that was a perfect amount although my daughter then managed dessert and coffee! The pasta was divine (con fungi) and so were the veg dishes. I can especially recommend the broccolini. The staff were attentive and very willing to explain dishes if needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NormskiDined on 16/9/2014Atmosphere very good / staff most charming & attentive to our needs / food of good quality nicely presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Piccolinos is noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/9/2014We have eaten here a few times and enjoyed it so were a little disappointed the last time because it was just so noisy. I think we will avoid going at busy weekend times in the future. They could do with investing in some sound deadening equipment, this is a premium destination so they should be able to afford it at their prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealdeeeatingDined on 29/8/2014Celebrating my sister's birthday and had a really good meal. Service and staff were wonderful. My requirement of a gluten free meal was offered with a good choice. Lovely time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant evening!suzepeDined on 23/8/2014There were 4 of us for dinner, it was a bank holiday weekend and it was York races, so the city was completely manic, with people a little over refreshed everywhere. Piccolinos was full to the brim and at first we thought it was a mistake, but we had a great evening. The food was outstanding, one of us had the veal milanese and it was enormous and delicious, the other three had the chicken in garlic cream sauce, again absolutely stunning. Our waitress was cheerful and pleasant and couldn't have been more helpful! In general the staff were fully stretched, but kept a sense of humour in the face of adversity.Special Features:
- Very Tasty Great AtmosphereAaron2014Dined on 4/8/2014Piccolino was a great restraunt ! Recently visited with my girlfriend. The meal was very tasty and would definately reccomend it to anyone looking for a restruant to take your other half. The staff were very attentive and the atmosphere was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome backsirwebbDined on 18/7/2014This is our third visit and each time it is like being welcomed back by the staff and management. We tend to visit York when over from the USA and Piccolino's is our number one destination for our first evening meal. The food is first class and the menu changes adding new and creative dishes each time we come. The serving staff are very friendly and knowledgeable about the menu and wine on offer. We are already looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Above average service!NcoopzDined on 5/7/2014My husband and I just wanted a nice easy night out as we had a babysitter. I am not sure that the restaurant actually had our reservation but they treated us as if we were in a top restaurant. The food was good on a busy Saturday night.Special Features:
- Birthday BashJacqsen11Dined on 7/6/2014Eight of us came to York for one of the guys birthdays - we dined at Piccoino's on the Saturday night - place was very busy - food and service was fantastic. Our waiter was brilliant at his job - top marks to him. Would definitely eat there again. Everybody enjoyed their food and their wine - not one complaint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service and fabulous foodbankholtreatDined on 25/5/2014Warm greeting and attentive staff without being intrusive. Food was really good and the portion sizes were generous. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice atmosphere and fooddebniansDined on 10/5/2014Booked this restaurant on line. Completed a section about special requests, where I mentioned dietary requirements. Unfortunately they didn't seem to be aware of them when I arrived, but the chef still obliged and made me a meal to suit. It was extremely busy, which proved how good people thought of the food..Service was second to none. Cant fault the place... would definitely go back next time we are in yorkSpecial Features:
- Busy restaurant but good food.ConnoisseurCeriVIPDined on 26/4/2014This restaurant is large (not something I picked up on on previous reviews). There is a bar area for cocktails while you inevitably wait for a table, even if you have booked. Beware being left in this area as we were, while little old ladies who aren't prepared to spend money in the bar get seated ahead of you! The food is outstanding. My wife had the lamb pasta dish which was absolutely delicious! The service is very good, too. Only downside is the noise as this place is a barn - far removed from the quaint riverside restaurant I'd imagined!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlawlessCochynVIPDined on 10/4/2014We've "rediscovered" the small Piccolino chain in the past few weeks, & it's better than ever. The York venue has tables overlooking the river Ouse, so we kidded ourselves that we were on a little 'city break', rather than the business trip it was. Great wine list, coupled with sound advice from our waiter, so a good choice to kick off. King prawns to start - perfectly fresh & with a superb balance of lemon & chilli; the sea bass was just right. We managed dessert this time - pannacotta for the colleague, cheese board for me; some of the best pecorino I've had. The second bottle was inevitable - well, the work was all done by then, & all we had to cope with was a train packed with screaming 'half term' kids back to London - no problem.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 30th birthday disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 30/3/2014Sorry, but although the food was okay and edible, we felt it was grossly over-priced for the quality: my son's pasta dish was over-salted, my daughter's undercooked and the food generally mediocre. the staff, though pleasant and reasonably helpful, could have been a little more enthusiastic, given it was my daughter's 30th birthday and they had been notified of this well in advance. 'Doubt very much we'd return.
- first timeyork2dineDined on 1/3/2014It was our first visit to piccolinos and I have to say I wasn't overly impressed. We were seated in the waiting area and asked what drinks we would like. The drinks took at least 10-15mins to arrive, we were then offered a menu to browse to be then told the table was ready. From that point everything was rushed, we were never asked if we wanted more drinks and felt has if we were holding up other diners for our table. I have to say the food was ok and would maybe try again to see if it was just an off day for them as other people have been on a couple of occasions that we know and they were surprised at what I told them.
- Noisy and rude managerDottyDined on 28/2/2014Food was lovely but overall experience was poor. It's noisy, sat too near couple on next table so doesn't feel intimate. Staff were lovely and attentive but there's a manager who spends all night barking at them. Rude and loud. We waited for ages for our coats whilst he dealt with another matter without even looking up. I had been looking forward to this and asked for a romantic table as we were celebrating, but it was far from romantic.
- This was a very nice restaurantCazzaDined on 7/2/2014This was a very nice restaurant and the food was delicious. The only thing that bothered me a little was that the service was so good that all 3 courses were over in a short space of time rather than being able to relax between courses with some good conversation. Once the courses were over we felt compelled to leave and find somewhere else to sit and relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Seafood RisottospwallisVIPDined on 29/1/2014Piccolino is a large Italian restaurant in the centre of York right next to the river Ouse. My dinner started with a rather average Caprese salad. However my main course of seafood risotto was very good. A point to note was that the service from my waitress for the evening was faultless. A decent meal for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good ItalianProsperoVIPDined on 3/1/2014Had a very good experience at Piccolino. Service was excellent, especially from the restaurant manager, who was particularly attentive. Food was well presented and well cooked. Quite an extensive wine list. Would certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday at piccollinosTacklerDined on 15/12/2013Great food and service would recommend this restaurant highlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for the value. RumpMMCMDined on 30/11/2013Overpriced for the value. Rump steak was very small for the price.
- The following 51 reviews are from the Piccolino York reviews archive.
- An evening at Piccolino in YorkOldVitruviusDined on 16/11/2013We had a great meal at Piccolino which is an Italian with some original dishes and a bit of flair! A shredded duck salad for a starter was a real treat and the seafood risotto first class.Our only complaint was the noise levels (high) and the light levels (low)! But the food and service were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food for thought.CookieDined on 2/11/2013Piccolino's was recommended by a friend who had dined there before, so I booked a table through top table before we left home for weekend in York. We were not disappointed at all, service very good, excellent choices, food very tasty & well worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was delicious, serviceJockDined on 2/11/2013The food was delicious, service was prompt & attentive, the selection on the menu was very good. The only negative point was the restaurant was a bit quiet on a Saturday lunchtime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere good food.SmokeyDined on 8/9/2013The food was oustanding full of taste minimal grease and additives, the service was good although the waiter did struggle a bit with his English but otherwise a very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfaction1luvfgoodDined on 26/8/2013We arrived early for our booking and were immediately fitted in. First class service and excellent foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and expensivemetalmickeyDined on 13/7/2013We probably chose a bad night to go. It was a Saturday and a race day in York. There were several hen parties and birthday parties going on in the restaurant and it was very noisy. The food was OK but nothing special. Given how busy it was the service was very good. Two of us had two courses each and 4 glasses of wine between us. I thought the bill was excessive at £94 (including 10% service charge) for what we had. We will not go back there.Special Features:
- Lovely food, great service!HlockleyDined on 11/7/2013Had a table overlooking river as requested and was lovely. Great service. Went for our anniversary meal, more of a place for groups really as got quite noisy at times. But overall fab place to eat in excellent location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasta perfectionLouandLizDined on 6/7/2013Fabulous menu choices which are followed up by beautifully cooked and presented food. Service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food,service,lacks atmosphereWinReviewerDined on 29/6/2013Staff were friendly and attentive from our arrival and throughout the meal. The food was excellent but the ambience was similar to a works canteen although it was a Friday night and very busy with many large parties so perhaps it would be better away from the weekend. That said, my husband and I had a great meal and would recommend this restaurant on that basis.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing mealJudenessDined on 8/6/2013Have been to piccolinos about 4times now and the food is lovely, always to a good standard. The pasta is all fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Riverside location in YorkBridgeybabeDined on 1/6/2013Tasty, fresh food in lovely surroundings, good value and plenty of choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceFoodieDined on 25/5/2013Despite the restaurant being packed from the races (and with some quite drunken people) the staff worked well so your experience wasn't hindered, they were very attentive, nothing was too much trouble and the food tasted great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Races Day - Eating at PiccolinosAllison262Dined on 25/5/2013We arrived early for our booking but they made a table available. I asked about the menu and they were able to customise the pasta and seefood dish to my taste. Enjoyable atmosphere and very good service. All this on a Races Day - when it is always extra busy.Special Features:
- Simply the bestA1SatisfactionDined on 21/5/2013Excellent meal. Very good service and food spot on. They were expecting a very large party (90+) but were still completely attentive and made no attempt to rush us out of the way. Very friendly staff. Dine regularly at various Piccolinos around country and never yet had a bad meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophisticated ItalianTimtruettDined on 1/5/2013This is a modern, sophisticated destination restaurant that would be successful in Rome or San Francisco. It hosts a typical modern Nothern Italian fare using excellent local ingrediants. The dishes are slightly deconstructed to make them appear modern and as attractive as they taste. Wonderful braesolla, fabulous and diverse pasta dishes, excellent steaks, poultry and very fresh fish. There's a wood burning oven for pizza or grilled meats and veggies. A full bar with a knowledgable bartender capable of mixing any cocktails desired, and an excellent wine list including often hard to find Super Tuscans and DCOG quality Italian wine. Comfortable, a bit loud, caring service. Really, quite a bit like a fun Italian home. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- relaxed and well looked aftercasualdiner22Dined on 20/4/2013Lovely atmosphere with good dining options and great service. Very relaxed and didn't feel rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.