344 Argyle Street
Glasgow, G2 8LYNeighborhood:
ItalianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.piccolomondo.co.uk/glasgow/
- Phone: 01412482481
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thu: 12:00pm - 2:15pm, 5:30pm - 10:15pm
Fri - Sat: 12:00pm - 2:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Piccolo Mondo
Piccolo Mondo restaurant in Glasgow has a special history. Forty five years ago, the Tuscan Pierotti family opened a restaurant called Piccolo Mondo, which was hugely popular and beloved. They then sold it and were involved in many other eateries here, including La Fiorentina. But they always regretted letting it go, and have now opened a new, upgraded Piccolo Mondo, a renaissance of an old dream. It’s a classically beautiful space in a former bank, with soaring vaulted ceilings, paintings, warm pale terra cotta walls, Tuscan red table linens, chandeliers and red velvet seating. The menu employs seasonal ingredients of the highest standard in creating delicate Euro classic and new Mediterranean dishes. The Pierotti family have a wealth of experience and pride in their establishment and it shows, from the superb service to the authentic recipes to the calm, pleasurable ambience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Piccolo Mondo reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since 6 May 2014
pre/post theatre (5)business meals (4)special occasions (3)group bookings (2)romance (2)good vegetarian options (2)sunday lunch (1)outstanding value (1)Show More
- Ladies who lunchedYFD1Dined on 2/8/2014very enjoyable return visit. Terrific value, choice and service. will be back.Special Features:
- Piccolo Mondo good food and serviceDDfoodDined on 7/4/2014I took my mum here for lunch on a visit to Glasgow and was impressed by the attentiveness of the waiter, he was friendly and funny and made my mum feel special. Then he went off shift and his replacement didnt match - shame. However it didnt take away our enjoyment of the lunch. Everything was delicious, but you do need to like tomato sauce as almost all pasta dishes have tomato sauce. I can thoroughly recommend the lasagne!Special Features:
- Poor serviceLemamealDined on 19/2/2014I took a group of business collegues ( 9 in total ) to the restaruant as I had been before and enjoyed the experience. Unfortunately on this occasion the service was extremely poor and with having to pay a 10% non optional service charge this realy rubbed salt in the wound.
- The food was OKspinningkgDined on 30/1/2014We booked an early table as we had theatre tickets. The meal was OK, the service was OK and it was good value for money . I'm not sure I'd recommend this restaurant for anything other than a fairly decent place to eat when you're in a bit of a hurry. Pretty good value for money, though.Special Features:
- Never disappointsPedrodeDined on 29/11/2013Good meal as always. One of my favourite lunch spots. Had to wait a while for our table but otherwise very good.Special Features:
- great value, nice foodScotlandNellDined on 6/11/2013Excellent value 2 course lunch. Nicely cooked, reasonably presented. Friendly staff. You've gotta like tomatoes, though. Only one mains option was tomato-free!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 744 reviews are from the Piccolo Mondo reviews archive.
- Piccolo Mondo revisitedBillDined on 22/8/2013At a loose end in Glasgow I decided to go to this restaurant which I had been to previously. I had a very good meal with good service which was fairly expensive. The food was highly seasoned and as the use of much added salt is not usual these days it was a bit of a surprise. I asked for my steak to be rare which indeed it was. As I was alone I had a glass of red wine which was recommended and extrely palatable. It is a busy bustling place with many obviously happy customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Piccolo MondoOutsideaterDined on 21/8/2013Food was very good and service was quick and the staff were welcoming, pleasant and friendly. Altogether the dinner was a very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A littlle bit of ItalytubbyDined on 21/8/2013This is the first time we have been to Picola Mondo and it won`t be the last. It is a good venue for central Glasgow dining. Food and ambiance were good, accompanied by friendly service.
- Great value!tezconDined on 10/8/2013Great value for money on Celebration Menu. Only negative is we felt we were a bit rushed......no time to digest food between courses. We did ask for a rest before dessert and had a break of about 3 mins! Which we were thankful for. If I I was to visit again we would ask for a rest before each course, as the food was delicious but never had anytime to savour the taste. Shame really!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday celebrationspatmanDined on 6/8/2013Many thanks for a most enjoyable dinner. Our party of six had a wonderful night especially my wife whose 70th birthday it was. Your presentation of the cake was spot on. Patrick McColganSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A welcome comboJackobiteDined on 19/7/2013A most welcoming and pleasant place to meet friends and talk! Food, wine and staff combine to let Glasgow diners enjoy a taste of the bel paese. Hope to book in again, before too long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good valueDinerDined on 18/7/2013The fixed price celebration menu is good value for money. The food was delicious and the portions generous.Special Features:
- Not a bad day out at all.EllaBillDined on 4/5/2013Love the atmosphere & decor, so cosy for change, love tablecloths and drapes in restaurants. Many restaurants have gone all contemporary to point of being ununique with cold hard atmosphere. Piccolo Mondi manages to keep fresh and modern whilst keep old fashioned warm initimate feeling & good old fashioned proper service. Staff very attentive. Only 1 criticism, found the sauce used in the Lasagne & the Seafood Pasta Dish and the Prawn and Mushroom Pot starter to be all the exact same sauce. Although lovely it is,it seems bit repetitive through menu. Would expet the Lasagne to taste very different from the Seafood Marinara Pasta Dish, it didn't really (exception fish taste through) & Lasagne had lot of pasta sheets but not enough mince.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great Place.misskitty23Dined on 26/2/2013Booked my table after reading great reviews on trip advisor. Was not disappointed. Very warm and welcoming atmosphere, only a few yards from our hotel. The Celebration Meal for two is excellent value at £55.00. Includes an aperitif each, starter, main course and sweet, then coffee and mints and an after meal drink. ( I had grappa) Included is a bottle of wine to have with the meal too. A Fab Italian Restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Piccolo MondoanjemoDined on 25/2/2013We thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Very good value for money. Exceptional service with very attentive waiters. The food was excellent. Highly recommend a visit. My only problem is that it spoils you and you get disappointed if you go anywhere elseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 60th celebrationTezzaDined on 11/2/2013Had a loveley meal to mark a 60th birthday, food and service were excellent and the celebration package is excellent valueSpecial Features:
- Lunch with my sisterBigalDined on 5/2/2013As I had been to this restaurant several times previously I thought it would be a good place to take my sister since she is not up in Scotland very often. We had lunch and my sister enjoyed it . Mine was not up to the standard that I have had before in Piccolo Mondo - maybe just a one off but disappointingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the bestBillyboyDined on 12/12/2012I have eaten in Picolo Mondo at least 7 or 8 times now using the Celebration Menu. The food service and surroundings are simply outstanding and I have and will continue to recommend it othersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoy an excellenthappypeopleDined on 26/11/2012Always enjoy an excellent meal at Piccolo Mondo when in glasgow. Food is always spot on whether it be from the al la carte menu or from the two course menu and the servers are always so friendly.My wife always dine here after finishing our Xmas shopping and this year was no exception.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely serviceAndreaDined on 9/11/2012Very charming service, nice food and good value at this classic It!alian in Glasgow City centre. Will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantrosieDined on 5/11/2012This was my second time in this restaurant. Overall was brilliant. I couldnt fault in any way. Food was delicious. Will be going back . Again !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night50kevDined on 30/10/2012Selected this after reading reviews whilst away for a few days celebrating 50th birthday. Had the best Lasagna ever and my wife's Carbonara was to die for. Really busy for a Tuesday night but service was attentive without being intrusive. The extensive wine list gave more questions than answers so we asked the waiter for help and he came up with a very reasonably priced gem, you could go silly with wine into the hundreds! Total bill came to £78 with wine, drinks, coffee's and 3 courses each, very reasonable! You could go for a set priced deal which looked great value but we had selected courses from mixture of "A La Carte" and fixed but still got charged the fixed deal which was nice. Would certainly go back next time in Glasgow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- monday lunchbounceDined on 22/10/2012Excellant value for lunch, partner gluten- free no problems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty saucejeneDined on 18/10/2012I found this restaurant not up to the standard promised on the website. The service was efficient but abrupt. I mentioned that my sauce was too salty and received no apology - just told it was 'rich'.I would not go back.
- Good Birthday Treat VenueweemawDined on 17/10/2012Treated our No.1 son to his birthday treat on a wet Wednesday & restaurant still nicely busy.As our son isn't a wine drinker,we thought the Variety menu the best for us. However,the maitre d' told us we should have ordered this when we booked.Woops! We didn't realize this.But we got the deal anyway & found there was a good choice of food & plenty of it too.Only wee suggestion I'd have is would be the drinks at the end of the meal - house brandy,whisky etc - could maybe be served in slightly smaller glasses as the amount in such large goblets look really toatsy.* (toatsy=Glasgow patois for wee!) Apart from that,it was a lovely evening,would recommend Piccolo Mondo.Special Features:
- Table booked for 5.30. TheagnesDined on 10/10/2012Table booked for 5.30. The teatime special was good value, the waiters polite, but meal way too rushed, meal over by 6.30 plus the price for 2 glasses of wine way too much.
- Service was too quick; foodNoneDined on 8/10/2012Service was too quick; food itself was average at best
- Pre-show DinnerShazzaJDined on 8/10/2012Had a lovely meal with my son before going to see John Bishop. The service was very timely. The food was excellent and we both enjoyed our meals. Thought the 2-course option was great value for money. Would go again.Special Features:
- Outstanding valueEmilyTedderDined on 3/10/2012Our favourite restaurant in Glasgow!!! Always amazing service and food!Special Features:
- The menu has a great choiced691Dined on 27/9/2012The menu has a great choice and all the dishes are exceptionally well cooked and presented and very reasonably price. I am always impressed with the service as the waiters don't constantly hassle you during your meal to see if everything is ok.Special Features:
- Family birthday mealLynniousDined on 26/9/2012Really enjoyed our evening recently at Picollo Mondos. Only criticism was that the my fiance's main meal was lacking in quantity and probably the cheapest out of all our dishes being pasta! Other than that a really nice meal was had by all. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little Italian restaurantvonnie23Dined on 22/9/2012I booked piccolo mondo for a special occassion as it was for a 50th Birthday bash, it was recommended to me by a family member, This liitle italian restaurant was lovely and the food was SUPERB!!! and it was good value for money, was not disappointed in anything and will make another reservation again as we lloved it sooooo much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the top restaurantsThewaxDined on 20/9/2012This was our second visit and as was the first, the whole experience was excellent. The special set menus are unbelievable value, drinks, wine three courses and coffee for £27.50. It's little wonder it's always busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Picolo's, food, staffstev124Dined on 17/9/2012I love Picolo's, food, staff everything about it, and nothing is a bother to the staff, I will be back as soon as I can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing mealetainDined on 13/9/2012Two diners, one excellent meal, one disappointing. Basic lasagne messed up, not acceptable in a good Italian restaurant. As a result, disappointing overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent a la carte menuRS76Dined on 12/9/2012Excellent a la carte menu and a good choice of wines. It would be wise to reserve a table in advance as it can be very busySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like a hug from NonnaNitNitDined on 8/9/2012This restaurant is cosy and warm, and reassuringly old fashioned. The service is friendly and attentive, the menu old school Italian. I had a long lunch with 2 friends and each course was a confident, well executed take on a classic. The warm potted prawn starter was something different but was rich, creamy and delicious. Recommended for a family special occasion or for escaping a winter evening.Special Features:
- My experienceAnnieDined on 30/8/2012I found the staff very courteous when we were running thirty minutes late. The timing of courses was perfect The sirloin steak was cooked exactly as asked and was delicious. The choice of food was very varied and I loved the fact that you could choose a meal to suit your occasion and budget. Two minor things we were seated just at the area where the food was brought out so not very private, and secondly it was an absolute nightmare to park as there was filming going on and that was stressful prior to going in to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What I would call a properJimbo2012Dined on 20/8/2012What I would call a proper Italian restaurant serving traditional, regional food. Dont go here if you are looking for a quick pizza as you will be disspaointed. The food is delicious and service outstanding with very attentive staff. The buliding itself is an old bank which has been converted and retains many of the original archiectural features which all adds to the overall experience. Many of the staff are Italian and are happy to spend time with you dicussing the menu and wines or anything else that you want to chat about for that matter. They have some pre-theatre, mid-week and lunch set menus which provide excellent value for money. The a la carte menu is also very well priced considering the standard of food on offer. Dont miss it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.