17 High Street
London, E11 2AANeighborhood:
FrenchPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.provenderlondon.co.uk/
- Phone: 02085303050
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Max Renzland
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Chef's Table, dogs permitted, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Provender
Provender is a French Bourgeois Bistro, offering the simplest ingredients to best effect.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Eating
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasions
- Diners' Choice WinnerSunday Lunch
Provender - Best restaurants in Wanstead ›
Provender reviews from OpenTable diners
198 reviews since 19 May 2014
special occasions (108)fit for foodies (105)sunday lunch (71)romance (70)brunch (57)group bookings (51)business meals (43)outstanding value (38)child friendly (36)outdoor eating (35)good vegetarian options (25)disabled access (16)afternoon tea (8)pre/post theatre (5)Show More
- Little SuprisedavezDined on 7/9/2014Friends had recommended this French restaurant and was not disappointed - it's small, cozy and modern and you feel there is pride in the restaurant. The quality of the food is good and I would definitely be going back again. Nice to also support a local business which offers good service and food and prides themselves in running the place.Special Features:
- PollyDined on 6/9/2014Took my friend to Provender on Saturday - first time for her - though I am a frequent visitor. The staff at Provender are excellent - both friendly and attentive. The food there continues to be of an excellent standard and the prices are good. I have never been disappointed in any of my visits to Provender and would highly recommend. My friend was very impressed with level of service and food. Provender is a real asset to Wanstead High Street.Special Features:
- JaneDined on 5/9/2014This was my second visit and whilst I enjoyed the food, it wasn't quite as good as first time around though I would still go again. One of the party had the snails and was disappointed they didn't come in their shells but mostly in masses of parsley sauce with no garlic. Apart from that the food, the food was good. Unfortunately, there was a really noisey table which made it difficult to have a conversation. I would go again but one of the party wouldn't which makes it a bit disappointing.Special Features:
- Very good lunchGirlsTeaDined on 5/9/2014We have been here 3 times before and the food on this 4th occasion was as good as usual. Service always very friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- A real treatOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/9/2014Found this little gem on top table. We booked it for a friends birthday. The service was great. Really friendly attentive staff. Food matched the great service. Between use we tried the snails, prawns, sea bass and the selection of meat starters. These were enjoyed by all. A recommended restaurant choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BiroblandDined on 30/8/2014Very interesting french cuisine at very reasonable prices. Waiters engaging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great meal outIsabelDined on 26/8/2014From the moment we arrived the staff could not have been more solicitous, even giving us a choice of table as I had requested online not to be near a draught because I was with my mother. Delicious aperitif of kir crémant and radishes, followed by the tagine of cod for me and rabbit for my mum who is not one to lavish praise on restaurants. Too full for pudding and driving so no wine but great value at £60. She said it was the best meal out she had had in years and we will both be returning, she for lunch with friends and I for dinner or Sunday lunch with the family. Thank you, Provender.Special Features:
- Great Local RestaurantMag1Dined on 23/8/2014As regular visitors to Provender we always have a great time and this visit was no exception. Choice and quality of food is excellent, as is the choice of wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4pawsDined on 23/8/2014dinner was not up to the usual standard, and the new menu is not very goodSpecial Features:
- JaneJaneDined on 23/8/2014Having searched for somewhere to eat specifically in Wanstead via Opentable, Provender. I went there before when it was Seasons. The menu is quite different but the quality of the food was good. The desserts were especially, and I'm not a dessert girl normally. The wine was very nice and not over the top. The service was good though a little over attentive for my liking. However, I would definitely go there again for a treat or just a night out as it works well for both. If I could give it an extra half a star, I would!Special Features:
- Celebration GCSE DinnerWestyDined on 21/8/2014We had a lovely family dinner to celebrate th relief of GCSE results. Three of us plumped for the set price menu which is extraordinarily good value and helped us decide to choose a more expensive wine to go with it! Great food , service and ambience. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant birthday mealMaddinerDined on 15/8/2014Had a great birthday meal here on a Friday evening. Loads of choice on the menu, and all the food was excellent quality. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming or professional. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best restaurant in my locality!CadixDined on 14/8/2014My partner and I are regular diners at Provender and we always have a fabulous time there. The menu provides a good range of options, from classic French dishes to more innovative British and French fusion combinations. For starters, I always have the escargot served in the traditional garlic butter and herb dressing. The rabbit and mussels/moules are also favourite mains. My partner often selects one of the classic salads - like the Lyonnais, or the Nordique - and then, more often than not, opts for a fish main course...which is always excellent! This restaurant comes highly recommended for beautifully cooked food, great wine choices and friendly service. Quite simply, Provender is the best restaurant in Wanstead!Special Features:
- AMAZING LOCAL FINDOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 13/8/2014Delicious find, amazing food, great value. Special but not fussy. A perfect bistro.
- Good Saturday Night TreatMogtoursDined on 9/8/2014The food is good, authentic, French cuisine - the staff are friendly and efficient. All in all, a good place for an evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early Dinner just want we wantedlllllDined on 9/8/2014We could only get booked in early on a Saturday evening at late notice, but did not have a problem with that. Sat inside, even though doors we could have sat outside. Staff were attentive, service was good and food was lovely as always. We had Duck and Liver, both cooked nicely. Shared a huge dessert and a carafe of white. Left happy and full, will return soon.Special Features:
- Relaxed but specialSimonBDined on 5/8/2014Fantastic food at a very reasonable price and all served in a relaxed and unpretentious environment. I highly recommend this restaurant, even if it means getting a table will be harder in the future. I will definitely be back :)Special Features:
- Consistently excellent!SLSPDined on 3/8/2014Always very good at Provender. Good food, great service. Glad to see a summer menu.Special Features:
- Two family groupWestyDined on 3/7/2014Lovely warm evening. Great service and with the set menu excellent valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday nightgezzerDined on 13/6/2014I went to Provender with my partner, after we were shown the table we were left there wondering if we would ever get a drink. The food was average,the starter was the best course we both had Salmon for the main course i had the burger and she had the monk fish. we both agreed that the food was just pub grub but more expensive. The wine we ordered was a Chablis which we both drink all the time, the bottle cost £36 pounds and was not that good. That was the first and last time i will go to Provener.Special Features:
- Fantastic again!LollyBDined on 13/6/2014Perfect evening. Max and Christophe had the girls in charge of running the restaurant on Friday and it was one of the best service experiences we have had-just the right amount of attention at just the right times (no mean feat -it shows the staff are always aware of what's going on at each table, without their being intrusive in any way). Sometimes in busy restaurants, staff can be distracted and i often end up worrying whether i am going to get the right order. Despite the fact it was busy in Provender, the staff were completely calm and focused, which made me feel more relaxed. And the food? Yum! Absolutely everything we had was really well cooked and deliciously flavoursome. Great to have this wonderful restaurant on our doorstep.Special Features:
- Another good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/6/2014Been here a few times and always a good meal. Packed this time but still good food and serviceSpecial Features:
- First visit & very impressed!BusinessDinerDined on 30/5/2014A very enjoyable and tasty meal. Great selection of classic French dishes on the menu and very pleasant ambience inside the restaurant. I also want to try one of their breakfasts and sit outside during the summer. I will be bringing my family and friends for dinner again soon!Special Features:
- Group DinnerWestyDined on 22/5/2014We were celebrating a friend's special birthday and so we were a party of 8 on a busy Thursday evening. Despite this, we were very well looked after and service was smooth and efficient. Most of us took advantage of the set price menu which is excellent valueSpecial Features:
- AnnaKDined on 18/5/2014Good, well cooked food and extremely helpful and accommodating staff with a knowledgable hands on owner. Consistently good every time I've been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ServiceWestyDined on 16/5/2014We were a party of four ex colleagues meeting for a catch up. The only reservation we could get was at 6.15pm but then I got delayed at work . The restaurant was busy and there was a constant turnover of tables yet Christoph and his marvellous team were pleasant, managed to look after my friends and seat us and although we offered to move outside he said we were fine for as long as we wished. The staff were extremely busy but continued to smile, work efficiently and we at no point felt hurried. Lovely food, great atmosphere and superb serviceSpecial Features:
- SelbySelbyDined on 16/5/20142nd visit to Provender. Was bracing myself for disappointment (2nd visits so often are) but was pleasantly surprised. The Prix Fixe menu was outstanding value. Who needs the West End with this on your doorstep?Special Features:
- Easy dining.dokroacDined on 13/5/2014Informal atmosphere,not rushed. Food is of good quality and well presented. A wider range of vegetarian options would make it even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadly cut shortabsgtDined on 11/5/2014Really liked this restaurant but sadly we had to leave early as one of our party had inadvertently eaten a nut and was having an allergic reaction. It was not in any way the fault of the restaurant or the staff - it was entirely the fault of the diner! I only got to taste the wine (decent palate, nice value) and the escargots starter (very nice indeed) before we had to leave. The staff dealt with the episode excellently and I will definitely be back for a full meal soon.Special Features:
- Lovely foodPri14Dined on 10/5/2014This is local restaurant to us and we found it very pleasant. The food was lovely especially the starters. The portions of the main meals were very large and we had difficulty finishing the food which was a shame. Very child friendly as the high chair was requested was already set up. They did put all the families with small babies away from the rest of the restaurant but we didn't mind that. Overall a very good dining experience, we would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing and nourishingMargaret88Dined on 5/5/2014We booked almost at the last minute for an evening meal to enjoy the last few hours of the Bank Holiday weekend. It was the perfect choice. A relaxed yet structured atmosphere. Warm brick walls absorb the sound so you can hear each other speak without the din of other conversations. We chose 3 courses from the good value price fixe menu. I had a salad of pear, walnut and goats cheese. Followed by confit of chicken with Savoy cabbage and put lentils. Then a panna cotta with fruits and sabayon. All delicious. Not huge portions but just what was needed for a chill-out ending to a lovely weekend. A great place to know about with friendly service and reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFourtwooneDined on 27/4/2014There was a buzz in the air when this much needed restaurant opened in Wanstead. I have visited on several occasions and have been happy. I do have a couple of gripes about it, the menu hardly ever changes. If you want to go regularly then the menu needs to change more. The service from the two main waiters is very good but anyone else, it is always less than satisfactory. On sunday the young woman just did not care. drinks had o be asked for twice, she was never about to order anything The prices are West End but e service us sadly East End.Special Features:
- SuperbBassaDined on 26/4/2014A lively atmosphere with every table full with various age groups represented. My wife has just started a diet and therefore chose not to have a starter whilst I had the soup which was excellent. My wife had the monkfish and I the slowly braised veal ...both fab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 'that little French place'HappyDined on 25/4/2014Came here on our weekly 'date night' - a change from our usual haunts. Service was very good from the moment we walked in the door until the moment we left. The atmosphere was inviting and relaxed... a great casual dining environment, welcoming everybody. The unofficial family section is separated from the rest of the restaurant so kid-noise and interference can be kept to a minimum. The food was good - however we bother felt slightly over-cooked (I had the asparagus starter, followed by fish and my partner had a chicken main).Special Features:
- Easter lunch at ProvenderLindaDined on 20/4/2014Very pleasant atmosphere, tasty, well cooked food, beautifully presented. Provender provides the perfect venue for a special occasion. The varied menu offers something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All round excellenceBillybhoyDined on 19/4/2014Excellent food, excellent service, excellent value delivered by an engaged and enthusiastic owner. We will definitely visit againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hungry!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 18/4/2014Food was fine (though nothing special) but portions were miniscule. I had to go home to eat straight afterwards ( I had the 3 course set lunch). For this reason I would not go again or recommend.
- A bit of France in the East End!CurlygirlVIPDined on 18/4/2014Great food, good value with their Prix Fixe menu and perfect service. Will be back!Special Features:
- DELICIOUS MEALLavenderLadyDined on 12/4/2014Went to Provender for dinner on Saturday 12 April 2014. Very good meal. Had the Pruneaux D'Agen a L'Armagnac for dessert, which was delicious. Great table by the window with plenty of room and lovely ambience.Special Features:
- A tast of France in WansteddesertorchidDined on 10/4/2014I have been to Provender on a regular basis since it opened. The food is excellent, the menu changes seasonally, the menu prix fixe is of a standard and value unsurpassed. Best snails in London owing much to the liberal use of herbs. The wine list is excellent from entry level to fine wines. The service is excellent and friendly. You are never rushed and a leisurely lunch time is assured. However I have felt when arriving I have always left feeling better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.