17 High Street
London, E11 2AANeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.provenderlondon.co.uk/
- Phone: 020 8530 3050
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Max Renzland
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Chef's Table, dogs permitted, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Provender
Provender is a French Bourgeois Bistro, offering the simplest ingredients to best effect.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Value
Provender - Best restaurants in Wanstead ›
Provender reviews from OpenTable diners
193 reviews since 23 November 2013
special occasions (101)fit for foodies (94)sunday lunch (68)romance (60)brunch (55)group bookings (45)business meals (38)child friendly (35)outstanding value (32)outdoor eating (30)good vegetarian options (22)disabled access (16)afternoon tea (8)pre/post theatre (4)Show More
- Best French Restaurant in the areaessexboydonegoodDined on 15/11/2014First Class food and service yer pays yer money and makes yer choice This is mineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fabulous eveningLollyBDined on 8/11/2014This is absolutely my favourite restaurant. We go pretty often as it's on our doorstep, and having dined at lots of great restaurants uptown, Provender is definitely up there amongst the best. It's not just the food- the changing seasonal menu always presents new additions which are delicious, well cooked and really flavoursome-leaving me with a conundrum as to what to choose as I want it all! It's the whole package, the food, the staff, who are friendly and really switched on, and the impeccable service. Last night we took my cousin and his wife to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary-we were really looked after by Christophe and his team, who made it a really special evening-thank you!Special Features:
- FoodloverDined on 8/11/2014Had Lunch - excellent service and value. Had Dinner previously which was also greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies who lunch!!judylovesjonnyDined on 6/11/2014We are a group of girl friends who lunch together about once a month and this month we chose Provender. I am so pleased we did. This was a Thursday lunch time and really glad we booked as it was busy. The ambience was great and service very good. We chose from the prix fixe menu and had three courses for around £15. Two of us chose steak & frites for a £3 supplement. The steak was melt in the mouth and bearnaise sauce delicious. The desserts were traditional with a twist. I had a creamy pannacotta with a coconut and mango sorbet, delicious! Only slight gripe were the costs of the drinks which of course bumped up the price quite a lot. But it was a really lovely lunch and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfulkital204Dined on 21/10/2014Had a wonderful experience at Provender. Staff were very friendly and attentive, and the food was delicious. We had the 3 course set menu and each course was great. Atmosphere was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always our first choice.FeeedusDined on 19/10/2014Always our first choice of local restaurants. Good food. Friendly staff. Great breakfasts as well as dinner .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice staff, but not much elseraulinhoDined on 18/10/2014Unfortunately this is a restaurant that wants to fit you in, next to as many people as possible, when there are free tables elsewhere. Food was poor quality, and over priced. Friendliness of staff was the only real pro here.
- Return visit to ProvenderKAwasKPDined on 17/10/2014I like to come back to this restaurant every few months as have always been happy with the food and the service. The meal was lovely - all in our party were happy with virtually everything. One tiny thing was that we shared some appetizers and the garlic bread was really overdone - too hard and couldn't really taste the garlic as a result of having to chew so much! I would like to particularly mention my dessert - the meringue noisette with Armagnac prunes. It was fantastic!! Service was good if a little overzealous - could have done with being just a little more laid back. Overall - will of course returnSpecial Features:
- Generally Goodblend69Dined on 15/10/2014Was more than adequate, but the only problem was that the food was cool when it was delivered, I got the impression it had been hanging around waiting to be brought out of the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Set Menu such good ValueWestyDined on 13/10/2014A rainy Monday night but Provender was still seeing a steady turnover of customersSpecial Features:
- pep15Dined on 12/10/2014A most enjoyable meal as usual. Advise booking as they get very busy and often have to turn away those with no reservation.Special Features:
- Not bad at allrabelaisDined on 8/10/2014The setting and ambience are good, and the friendly French proprietor is an asset. The food was quite OK, but not outstanding. The wine was French only, which I think is too restrictive. Service was good, and we appreciated the speed of arrival of the taxi. On the whole not a particularly memorable visit. I had the escargots, which were covered in a kind of green gunk, which I did not really appreciate. Trying hard to think of something else to say, to add up to the number of characters remaining. The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plains, they say, Always use the cutlery from the outside to the inside. Go from the known to the unknown. Our Father which art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy will be done on Earth as it is inSpecial Features:
- Another excellent mealBethDined on 5/10/2014Good food, great wine, excellent service. What more can one ask for from this upscale neighbourhood French place. Now that it's been mentioned in the Guardian magazine, I'm sure tables will be even harder to get!Special Features:
- Shame about the musicDinerdinerDined on 5/10/2014A lovely late Sunday lunch to celebrate a birthday was marred by the too loud music. A member of our party is hard of hearing and we asked politely and quietly if the music could be turned down to enable him to participate fully in the occasion. The request was met with an equally polite response - and then ignored. It is very embarrassing for a person who is hard of hearing to have to ask the waiter to keep repeating himself. As regular visitors to The Dordogne area of France, where music in restaurants is almost unheard (excuse the pun) of, was disappointing to find a French restaurant in London thinking it is a disco. Background music is fine, but please not so loud you have to shout to have a conversation. Great service/food.
- I love ProvendorbeatboybillyDined on 29/9/2014Fantastic menu - you can't go wrong with anything you choose... and they offer the best burger in London!I would recommend this to a friend.
- ProvendersprkrDined on 27/9/2014The prawns were OK, the mayonnaise excellent. The rabbit was very tender; falling off the bone, with pleasant sauceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good set menuConsumitDined on 27/9/2014A fantastic restaurant. Even though much of the menu is not allowed for me and my family because we are Muslim and the meat is (presumably) not halal, there are enough vegetarian and seafood options to choose from. The set menu 'prix fixe' is very good value. I love the colouring booklets given to the children, and that there are some board games available. Food is great. My only complaint is that perhaps there could have been more variety in the kids' menu (mine could only have fish and chips, which was fine for them) but to be honest I don't mind ordering from the main menu for them if I have to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunny pavement days!Min88Dined on 22/9/2014We were lucky to habe one of those golden autumn days and sat outside to have the lunch prix fixe menu. Although the outdoor seating is on the main huigh street, the noise of traffic is not overwhelming and we could all have an easy conversation together. There were 5 of us, all choosing different dishes from the menu so we tried most of the options on this menu. Everyone liked what they chose. I had moules and frites which were excellent, after the smoked prawns. All the desserts were tasty- my sister had the passion fruit panna cotta which probably was the best choice. Great service and friendly helpful staff make this an excellent venue, certainly at lunchtime.Special Features:
- Little SuprisedavezDined on 7/9/2014Friends had recommended this French restaurant and was not disappointed - it's small, cozy and modern and you feel there is pride in the restaurant. The quality of the food is good and I would definitely be going back again. Nice to also support a local business which offers good service and food and prides themselves in running the place.Special Features:
- PollyDined on 6/9/2014Took my friend to Provender on Saturday - first time for her - though I am a frequent visitor. The staff at Provender are excellent - both friendly and attentive. The food there continues to be of an excellent standard and the prices are good. I have never been disappointed in any of my visits to Provender and would highly recommend. My friend was very impressed with level of service and food. Provender is a real asset to Wanstead High Street.Special Features:
- JaneDined on 5/9/2014This was my second visit and whilst I enjoyed the food, it wasn't quite as good as first time around though I would still go again. One of the party had the snails and was disappointed they didn't come in their shells but mostly in masses of parsley sauce with no garlic. Apart from that the food, the food was good. Unfortunately, there was a really noisey table which made it difficult to have a conversation. I would go again but one of the party wouldn't which makes it a bit disappointing.Special Features:
- Very good lunchGirlsTeaDined on 5/9/2014We have been here 3 times before and the food on this 4th occasion was as good as usual. Service always very friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- A real treatOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/9/2014Found this little gem on top table. We booked it for a friends birthday. The service was great. Really friendly attentive staff. Food matched the great service. Between use we tried the snails, prawns, sea bass and the selection of meat starters. These were enjoyed by all. A recommended restaurant choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BiroblandDined on 30/8/2014Very interesting french cuisine at very reasonable prices. Waiters engaging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great meal outIsabelDined on 26/8/2014From the moment we arrived the staff could not have been more solicitous, even giving us a choice of table as I had requested online not to be near a draught because I was with my mother. Delicious aperitif of kir crémant and radishes, followed by the tagine of cod for me and rabbit for my mum who is not one to lavish praise on restaurants. Too full for pudding and driving so no wine but great value at £60. She said it was the best meal out she had had in years and we will both be returning, she for lunch with friends and I for dinner or Sunday lunch with the family. Thank you, Provender.Special Features:
- ExcellentBethDined on 24/8/2014Really enjoyed our meal. Service was great, food wonderful as always and good, reasonably priced wine list. Will definitely return,.
- Great Local RestaurantMag1Dined on 23/8/2014As regular visitors to Provender we always have a great time and this visit was no exception. Choice and quality of food is excellent, as is the choice of wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4pawsDined on 23/8/2014dinner was not up to the usual standard, and the new menu is not very goodSpecial Features:
- JaneJaneDined on 23/8/2014Having searched for somewhere to eat specifically in Wanstead via Opentable, Provender. I went there before when it was Seasons. The menu is quite different but the quality of the food was good. The desserts were especially, and I'm not a dessert girl normally. The wine was very nice and not over the top. The service was good though a little over attentive for my liking. However, I would definitely go there again for a treat or just a night out as it works well for both. If I could give it an extra half a star, I would!Special Features:
- Celebration GCSE DinnerWestyDined on 21/8/2014We had a lovely family dinner to celebrate th relief of GCSE results. Three of us plumped for the set price menu which is extraordinarily good value and helped us decide to choose a more expensive wine to go with it! Great food , service and ambience. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant birthday mealMaddinerDined on 15/8/2014Had a great birthday meal here on a Friday evening. Loads of choice on the menu, and all the food was excellent quality. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming or professional. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best restaurant in my locality!CadixDined on 14/8/2014My partner and I are regular diners at Provender and we always have a fabulous time there. The menu provides a good range of options, from classic French dishes to more innovative British and French fusion combinations. For starters, I always have the escargot served in the traditional garlic butter and herb dressing. The rabbit and mussels/moules are also favourite mains. My partner often selects one of the classic salads - like the Lyonnais, or the Nordique - and then, more often than not, opts for a fish main course...which is always excellent! This restaurant comes highly recommended for beautifully cooked food, great wine choices and friendly service. Quite simply, Provender is the best restaurant in Wanstead!Special Features:
- AMAZING LOCAL FINDOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 13/8/2014Delicious find, amazing food, great value. Special but not fussy. A perfect bistro.
- Good Saturday Night TreatMogtoursDined on 9/8/2014The food is good, authentic, French cuisine - the staff are friendly and efficient. All in all, a good place for an evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early Dinner just want we wantedlllllDined on 9/8/2014We could only get booked in early on a Saturday evening at late notice, but did not have a problem with that. Sat inside, even though doors we could have sat outside. Staff were attentive, service was good and food was lovely as always. We had Duck and Liver, both cooked nicely. Shared a huge dessert and a carafe of white. Left happy and full, will return soon.Special Features:
- Relaxed but specialSimonBDined on 5/8/2014Fantastic food at a very reasonable price and all served in a relaxed and unpretentious environment. I highly recommend this restaurant, even if it means getting a table will be harder in the future. I will definitely be back :)Special Features:
- Consistently excellent!SLSPDined on 3/8/2014Always very good at Provender. Good food, great service. Glad to see a summer menu.Special Features:
- Two family groupWestyDined on 3/7/2014Lovely warm evening. Great service and with the set menu excellent valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday nightgezzerDined on 13/6/2014I went to Provender with my partner, after we were shown the table we were left there wondering if we would ever get a drink. The food was average,the starter was the best course we both had Salmon for the main course i had the burger and she had the monk fish. we both agreed that the food was just pub grub but more expensive. The wine we ordered was a Chablis which we both drink all the time, the bottle cost £36 pounds and was not that good. That was the first and last time i will go to Provener.Special Features:
- Fantastic again!LollyBDined on 13/6/2014Perfect evening. Max and Christophe had the girls in charge of running the restaurant on Friday and it was one of the best service experiences we have had-just the right amount of attention at just the right times (no mean feat -it shows the staff are always aware of what's going on at each table, without their being intrusive in any way). Sometimes in busy restaurants, staff can be distracted and i often end up worrying whether i am going to get the right order. Despite the fact it was busy in Provender, the staff were completely calm and focused, which made me feel more relaxed. And the food? Yum! Absolutely everything we had was really well cooked and deliciously flavoursome. Great to have this wonderful restaurant on our doorstep.Special Features: