Restaurant at The Bonham
35 Drumsheugh Gardens
Edinburgh, EH3 7RNNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £25 and under
Restaurant at The Bonham
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.townhousecompany.com/thebonham/restaurant/index.aspx
- Phone: 01312747444
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Scottish, French
- Executive Chef: Michel Bouyer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Restaurant at The Bonham
The menu at Restaurant at The Bonham in Edinburgh is inspired by classic flavours, adapted for the modern palate by Head Chef Maciej Szymik and his team. Using locally sourced seasonal produce the dishes created are simple but elegant in style. The restaurant also offers an excellent, well-edited wine list chosen by Restaurant Manager Julie Goschescheck, to complement the dishes you will choose. Restaurant at The Bonham is characterised by sophisticated urban styling which we think you will love, whether it's business or pleasure that brings you here. Aside from some striking and dramatic art work by Tilo Stengel, we've designed the restaurant to be cool and minimal so that you can focus on the food, the company and the occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Restaurant at The Bonham reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since 1 November 2013
special occasions (11)romance (6)outstanding value (5)sunday lunch (5)afternoon tea (5)business meals (5)fit for foodies (5)group bookings (3)child friendly (1)good vegetarian options (1)pre/post theatre (1)Show More
- Dinner at BonhambillDined on 25/8/2014Arrived early but table was ready immediately. Staff top notch for service and food preparation. Not at all hurried and surprised to receive discount through booking via Open Table. Will be back again and againSpecial Features:
- Attentive and knowlegable staff ..fussyeaterDined on 15/3/2014We booked through Groupon, but only because l was looking for a lovely place to go on our usual saturday night dinner date. I was amazed that you could find somewhere so classy and with such gorgeous food for not a lot of money. Please don't hesitate to visit this high end, unusual dining experience. The staff are all tuned in to know exactly when to approach tables to clear off plates or take orders .. l really loved this place and you will too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Bonham in EdinburghJimKDined on 8/2/2014I dined at the Bonham in Edinburgh following the Calcutta Rugby Match. Unlike the rugby the Bonham was as good as ever. The main course of Belly Pork was excellent accompanied by a Margaux recommended by the Sommelier. I look forward to my next visit in March to dine after the rugby match.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitWestendDinerDined on 4/2/2014Our visit started well with drinks in the bar, although staff were initially distracted by a corporate event. Moving through for dinner, we requested the '2 courses and a glass of wine for £18.50 menu'. Orders were promptly taken and we had good wine matching advice from the staff. Starters - tasty, but two ravioli's were returned as they were cold. After much apologising two fresh and hot ravioli's were served and enjoyed. Mains - very good, with the beef cheeks and mash being particularly tasty. Couldn't manage pudding. Overall very good value for money and very tasty. Dining room looses some intimacy with staff trekking food or empty plates through to any corporate event elsewhere in the hotel. Will have to have another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BonhamBigMacDined on 1/2/2014We were not sure what to expect with a meal that promised 2 courses and 2 glasses of wine for £18 each. In the end it was great value for money but that's only if you are satisfied with very small mains. Our welcome was very nice and we were offered a choice of tables with the girl pointing out a nice window table beside a radiator. My starter of crab cocktail was superb but my partners' winter soup of Butternut Squash with Amaretto didn't work. The main of Pheasant was cooked to perfection as was my fillet of Pork 3 ways. Both dishes looked and tasted stunning but were lost on their plates, just too small. At all times the service was warm and genuine. Not sure how they can make money at these prices, probably the small portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five star experienceJazzyJasmineDined on 24/1/2014My husband and I dined at the Bonham through Toptable on Friday 24th Jan. The servers were extremely friendly and very accommodating, explaining the menu with ease. The food came in a timely fashion, was presented stunningly and every mouthful was a total delight. Even though I initially thought the portions looked small, I was totally full by the end of the meal, and my tastebuds were having a party! An amazing experience start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceSTTTDined on 11/1/2014The food and service were fantastic, would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent valueElainehDined on 29/12/2013Have dined here a few times and always had a lovely meal. Food and service first class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boozy snoozy Bonham!glamourgilDined on 30/11/2013Enjoyed a superb pre-Christmas lunch with friends at the always-reliable Bonham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- V. pleasant dining experiencefoodfanDined on 29/11/2013Had dinner for 2, standard menu. Service was excellent & the dining room lovely. We were seated next to the wall which was fine but diners near us were complaining about the draft from the door (which is next to main door of hotel) My starter (mushrooms on brioche) was great, but my husband thought his steak tartare a bit average. The mains were v good, the venison a bit chewy but the slow-cooked beef was gorgeous. However, the menu said it came with mash so we didn't order any sides. It actually came with 3 bean-sized (ie tiny) lumps of mash!! Desserts were v good in parts (cinnamon ice-cream!) but rumbaba needed more syrup & millefeuille was a bit tough. Overall good, but more attention to detail would make it great.Special Features:
- Dinner at The BonhamJimKDined on 23/11/2013I dined at the Bonham on Saturday 23rd November 2013. A warm welcome followed by an excellent Gin and Tonic was a good start to the evening. I have dined here several times over the past years and the food , wine and service was as good as ever. I have no reservations in recommending this restaurant and in fact have done so in the past year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 395 reviews are from the Restaurant at The Bonham reviews archive.
- Very poor booking experienceGailDined on 26/10/2013I booked this table on Saturday for a table that evening. Got my confirmation that everything was booked. My phone ran out of charge so it was 5:30 before it was charged up again and I picked up a message from the Bonham hotel saying they were fully booked and I did not have a table. I was very unhappy and called the hotel and restaurant several times but the phones were not answered. I would not recommend either the hotel or Top Table following this experience
- Food standardWTSEMWDined on 12/10/2013The food did not match the reputation the Bonham has for quality, perhaps we arrived on an "off night" (on a Saturday?). The waiting staff did not understand the menu and we had drinks added to our bill incorrectly.Special Features:
- BonhamChrissieDined on 4/10/2013Not the first and definitely not the last time we visit this lovely restaurant, fabulous food, great wines, and friendly professional service. Never let's me down when we want to be a bit spoiled!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friends who lunchLadiesatlunchDined on 31/8/2013I love to lunch a "boozy snooze" here as it is great . The menu was varied and something for all tastes. 4 of us seated at a table with lots of space . You never feel crowded when eating - and the ambience lovely and relaxing. Food as always excellent - could have chosen all dishes for main! Beetroot and caramelised walnuts risotto was delicious, and the chocolate dessert amazing ! The staff as always attentive yet not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies who do LunchHEteacherDined on 23/8/2013Very lovely restaurant. The Boozy lunch not on Fridays though! Menu exciting Food small portions but very delicious. would recommend you buy side dishes to share. Check wine list before ordering as 1 glass of Sauvignon Blanc was £13! More than the 2 course lunch Will go back - still 1 of my favorite lunch time venues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boozy Snoozy - superb valueEcosseDined on 4/7/2013The boozy snoozy deal at the Bonham is a long standing deal that epitomises value for money without a drop in standards. The menu choices were excellent, service just right and the relaxed but classy surroundings continue to make this one of my favourite places to dine. Hard to fault.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boozy lunchHEteacherDined on 22/6/2013Very lovely place to relax on a Saturday lunch it will last till 5 pm if you want to. Food delicious. interesting menu Busy a bit noisy but could cope! Will be back Afternoon tea going past looked fab Think might be expensive for dinner house wine yumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Starter & Main -dessert not soColetteDined on 14/6/2013Enjoyed the starter (duck parfait) and main (pork) - both well presented and tasty. We ordered dessert as an extra (as availed of the £18.50 for 2 courses & a wine deal) and was a little disappointed with this - I had the frangipan pie and was a little dry and not all that tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have had late lunch at thaElainehDined on 25/5/2013Have had late lunch at tha bonham several times and the service and food has always been 1st class. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was ok!!FiferDined on 30/3/2013LOvely location but not as luxurious as I expected. A comparitively small menu but food very well presenr=ted and the staff, while really quite young, were friendly and observant. Might have liked a little bit more food on my plate and would I go back? - I guess not. Not memorable enough for me to return.Special Features:
- What more could you want?NicholasTDined on 16/3/2013The staff went out of their way to accommodate allergy needs (gluten and dairy free) and had prepared a subset of the menu in advanced suitable for the person with the allergies. The ambiance was fantastic and the food was just as good. The service was impeccable. Highly recommended and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unfortunate let downDiner2WinerVIPDined on 1/2/2013I was very excited to treat my other half to a fine dinner at the Bonham Restaurant. Unfortunately it did not meet up to its past reviews. Firstly their was no music playing therefore you could hear all the other tables conversations, thankfully the service was a delight and when asked they turned it up. We ordered the Scollops each which are at a hefty price of 12.00 pounds a plate, they came out smelling of bad fish and tasted so poorly we had to send them back. The Overall Ambience and starter really hindered our evening, however the service was fantastic and handled everything with grace. Unfortunately we wont be going back anytime soonSpecial Features:
- Excellent as always!foodieDined on 28/1/2013The Market Menu has been discontinued and the A La Carte menu is more affordable. The food was amazing as always, especially the mushroom, egg and jerusalem artichoke starter. Absolutely delicious. Keep up the good workSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent serviceWallacesDined on 11/1/2013We went to Bonhams for our daughters 20th birthday. The front of house gentleman - sorry did not get his name - was exceedingly helpful. Despite not really making a fuss about it being a birthday they produced 5 glasses of fizz with their compliments - a super gesture. Great food and very good valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a good experience atDalguyVIPDined on 23/12/2012We had a good experience at the Bonham with excellent food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful lunch atRegularVIPDined on 23/12/2012We had a wonderful lunch at the Bonham. It's been a while since I ate at the restaurant and wished I had been back sooner. There was 7 in my party and everyone was extremely satisfied with their meal and the attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Festive lunchLikegoodfoodDined on 11/12/2012We took my elderly father to The Bonham for a festive lunch to spoil him. He was very impressed with the quality of the food and the portion sizes were perfect for all of us. The service was good and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Understated fine cuisineAmpyDined on 3/12/2012This is the second visit and on both occasions the food reaches towards Michelin standards, really wonderful for this slightly out of centre hotel & restaurant in the Georgian bit of Edinburgh. Nice ambience in restaurant area especially at night and he menu is exquisite and brilliantly presented at these prices, recommended utterly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPickyDined on 1/12/2012A group of for adult females on trip to Edinburgh for one night. Thoroughly enjoyed the professional exquisite experience. Desert was not what we expected hence reason for 4 stars rather than 5. Definitely recommend however and would call again in another visit. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentavysingerDined on 23/11/2012Food was beautiful and well priced. Only quibble was poor service once we had finished and wanted to settle up. Prior to that service had been excellent. They did get busier as the night wore on, but that shouldn't excuse their eventual inattentiveness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely mealgalliDined on 16/11/2012great food and good service.fantastic value 3 course meal on top table deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place,great staff and foodcoco67Dined on 16/11/2012Been twice now and have had a wonderful time.Excellent service and outstanding value with the market menu.The staff are lovely and very attentive but not intrusive.We really like the ambience and its a great place for group bookings too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding valueGlenobanDined on 8/11/2012This is the place for a special occasion. The food was really good, and the service outstanding. We enjoyed the " boozy snoozy" which was excellent value for money. The restaurant was busy, almost full, we were glad we had booked. It's our first choice for our next visit to the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- smart & sophisticated placeSteveN6Dined on 2/11/2012I took my sons there for a special birthday dinner and this was a very suitable choice: a smart and stylish setting for a real sense of occasion. We all ate from the good value 'Market Menu' which offers 3 courses with a few choices based on fresh seasonal produce. All good. The hake seems to have gone done well. The vegetarian member of the party was well catered for too. Good place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bonham Hotel, EdinburgharrantknaveDined on 1/11/2012Beautiful restaurant, delightful ambiance, wonderful food and served with finess. I always enjoy dining at the Bonham Hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value Great service2forteaDined on 29/10/2012Anybody dining at the Bonham will not be disappointed. Outstanding value (£22 for 3 courses and a glass of wine) Service could not be faulted. ExcellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday TreatPiemanDined on 28/10/2012An excellent afternoon, relaxing and very friendly, will certainly do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favourite restaurant .ladywholunchesDined on 25/10/2012Everything about the Bonham is excellent. The quality of food, the service, the value for money on the boozy- snoozy deal. We had the best lemon tart ever - it just melted in your mouth. The staff remember who ordered what and bring the correct meal to the correct person without having to ask " who ordered the ........?" There are 4 of us who meet 3 times a year and we have been to other restaurants but decided from now on we will always go to the Bonham .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant has a lovelysweet16Dined on 24/10/2012The restaurant has a lovely ambience and there can be few better value for money meals than the Boozy Snoozy at The Bonham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.