Restaurant Mark Greenaway
12 Picardy Place
Edinburgh, EH1 3JTNeighbourhood:
EuropeanPrice: £25 and under
Restaurant Mark Greenaway
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantmarkgreenaway.com/
- Phone: 01315570952
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 12pm - 3pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: European
- Executive Chef: Mark Greenaway
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Fireplace, Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: To book with us, or find out more information about our venue and our offerings, please get in touch.
- Private Party Contact: Ilanna 01315570952
A word from Restaurant Mark Greenaway
First opened in February 2011, Mark Greenaway’s signature restaurant at No.12 Picardy Place continues to attract public admiration as one of the most exquisite dining experiences in Scotland. Packed full of enthusiasm for modern Scottish dining, the seasonal menu highlights the quality of each individual dish, served in a casual, fine dining atmosphere that hosts two private dining rooms and a main restaurant. At Restaurant Mark Greenaway expect each dish to expose that rare combination between the visually tantalising and the authentic taste of palate wisdom. If you are looking for an extra special treat, don't miss out on the spectacular eight course Tour Menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Restaurant Mark Greenaway reviews from OpenTable diners
- Selecting Mark GreenawaysgourmandeaterDined on 24/10/2012Selecting Mark Greenaways to celebrate my friends 50th birthday was a no brainer based on previous experience of the restaurant. The food was exactly the same consistent quality; the service to the same high standard both front and back of house; the welcome was polite, friendly and, above all, inviting. The combination of all aspects made for a perfect 50th Birthday gift that was, and will be, appreciated for a very long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant was reallyTheatregoerDined on 20/10/2012The restaurant was really nice inside and had a great atmosphere. The market menu was brilliant value and the food great, really loved it. The wine was reasonably priced which was a pleasant surprise. The service was good except we never got offered any dessert or coffee once we had finished our main meals despite sitting for a while afterwards, we weren't sure why apart from the fact that the other guests were now all dining on a la carte menu or taster menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow what a lunchFoodmadcopDined on 19/10/2012I loved this restaurant from the moment I stepped through the doors, the staff were welcoming and the building is lovely. We went for the 3 course Market Menu and all for only £20. It was worth every penny and more. The staff looked after us well and the atmosphere was relaxed. I'm not a vegetarian but went with the Red wine and radicchio Risotto for my main. Oh my it was the best Risotto I have every eaten! The bonus for me being a foodie and a trainee chef that Mark came up from the kitchen and said hello (which wasn't planned). I will go again when I return to Edinburgh a must, I even recommended it to some locals that hadnt heard of it(??) whilst in the Balmoral Bar.Special Features:
- Top notch pre theatre diningMACCADined on 17/10/2012Personal and efficient service and fantastic food. Relaxed ambience in a spacious dining room. Perfect for a special dinner with friends.Special Features:
- A great dining experiencePandPDined on 17/10/2012This was a fantastic prelude to an evening at the theatre at the Playhouse. So convenient, across the road in a fine Georgian town house. Welcoming and efficient staff, and ambience and decor to suit a formal occasion equally well. The market menu looked excellent value, but we succumbed to the temptation of the a la carte! No disappointments. Orkney scallops seared to perfection, and melting in the mouth; pork cheek tender and full of flavour. Duck breast and trio of Dornoch lamb both perfectly pink and beautifully presented. A compact wine list but it embraced choices that for all tastes and pockets. Our Cabernet/Sangiovese was not extortionate at under £30. Definitely a restaurant to recommend and return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhantomtasticGourockgalDined on 13/10/2012Mum and me were through in Edinburgh to take in Phantom of The Opera and picked Mark Greenaway's for lunch. What a place, the decor is beautiful, the location fantastic and the food to die for. The service is also fantastic and all in all we were very impressed. Ok, the portions are small and maybe a wee bit overly fussy but as a birthday treat from mum, it was truly exceptional and the 3 course market menu very good value for money. I've been gushing in my praise to friends and colleagues and will definitley be back the next time us West Coasties venture through to Edinburgh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Market MenuYorkieDined on 11/10/2012The service was first rate and the food good value for money. The only thing that could have been better were the vegetables with the main course. Whilst I wasn't expecting a plate full of chips to go with the very nice piece of cod, whatever was accompaning it didn't have any taste and there wasn't enoough of it to get a taste of anyway( it was just enough to cover a medium sized razor sea shell!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning!Nuala1902Dined on 9/10/2012Beautiful food although could do with being bit more varied with pre-theatre menu. Service impeccable! Soroundings contemporary and plush! Lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Erins 30th BirthdayDicemanDined on 9/10/2012This is one of the best restaurants we have ever been to, if not THE best. I booked the restaurant for my Fiancés 30th Birthday as it was right across the road from the Playhouse, 3 mins walk from our Hotel (Albany Ballentrea) and because of Mark Galloway's reputation. The restaurant is very tastefully presented, as is the food. But its the food that steals the show, every mouthful is out of this world. The staff were very friendly and professional. We will be returning! Mark + Erin - WarringtonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could not fault any aspectdustyDined on 6/10/2012Could not fault any aspect of my last visit other than to say the portions in the main course were rather small and lacking in vegetables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food, definitely be backlorrainepDined on 29/9/2012My first time at Mark Greenaway after hearing lots of good things from friends and I wasn't disappointed. Our group decided to take advantage of the market menu which was lovely and great value. The slow cooked pork was so tasty and the broken chocolate tart looked like something straight out of Masterchef lol! :) The only small gripe I had was the service. It's likely I would have had a second glass of wine if our waiter had returned to offer us one but he obviously thought we didn't want to be disturbed. After seeing the full menu its on my list to return soon and sample some more fine food.Special Features:
- Lovely time!LizziepDined on 29/9/2012Amazing food, amazing service, amazing value....my mum is still raving about the cutlery, tablecloth and Georgian rooms!!!! Only downside was a draft which by the main course meant we were both freezing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never again will we eat pastaFeefeeDined on 22/9/2012Never again will we eat pasta or pizza in a noisy italian restaurant pre theatre. The market menu is outstanding vaue for quality food and contary to what some might think, the portions are more than adequate as my husband who has a good appetite can testify. Fine dining at its best. A great wine list which has something for every taste and budget. We will most definitely be back. The only thing I could fault was nobody offered to take my coat so I sat on it for the duration of the meal rendering it a little crushed when it came to putting it back on.Special Features:
- Fun is Goneaway at GreenawayLibbygaleDined on 21/9/2012We made a last minute booking on a Friday night at Mark Greenaway. Chat about the food has been high, so we were looking forward to it. On arrival, the hostess, who seemed annoyed we'd turned up, couldn't find our reservation and questioned whether we had one. Not a great start. The staff in the restaurant were at least a little friendlier. However, they were all very officious and didn't seem to be having much fun. It's a shame because they knew a lot about the food and wine. The food, ah well, it was very good indeed. It was quirky and had a lovely mix of flavours. Not quite Kichen or Wishart but getting there. It was a fairly pricy meal and the portion sizes weren't too generous, so save this for a special night.Special Features:
- best dessert everMarionNDined on 20/9/2012meal was excellent. salted peanut caramel cheesecake was tastiest dessert i have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurant, innovativeVivatbellaDined on 19/9/2012Wonderful restaurant, innovative food and charming staff! 8 course tasting menu with the paired wine was superb! A new "favourite"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!MattDined on 18/9/2012Amazing food cooked with flair and imagination, fantastic staff, beautiful wines and a wonderful relaxed atmosphere all amke for one of the best dining experiences we've had in Edinburgh. The food is right up there with the Kitchin, Balmoral No 1 etc, and once the final tweaks to the place are complete (cocktail bar is being refurbished, toilets upgraded at the moment) a Michelin star surely can't be far away. My advice would be go now before everyone else discovers it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary lunchMargaret51Dined on 22/8/2012Had a wonderful lunch with friends whilst up at the Edinburgh Festival - food fantastic ( best pork crackling ever!) and service perfect. One of our highlights of the weekSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great and excellent value lunchRichardDined on 15/8/2012We took our son to MG's for lunch during the Festival Fringe and were not disappointed. The food was creative and tasty, service very good and overall it was very good value including a good sommelier recommendation for a wine we had not tried before. We will be back for dinner next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mark greenawaystarsDined on 2/8/2012first time iv been was lovely atmosphere and surroundings food was fantastic and away from the 'norm' and outstanding value to match. we went before a show and it worked out great as the theatre was just accross the road.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absoutly fantasticLoveroffoodDined on 31/7/2012We went in a quiet Tuesday night but the atmosphere was still lovely. The waiters were wonderful and very attentive all night. The food was simply amazing. We could of happily eaten it all over again after a little break! I would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Special celebrationGourmandsDined on 28/7/2012We celebrated our wedding anniversary in Restaurant Mark Greenaway. This was a wonderful experience, the quality of the food and presentation was superb. This was enhanced fully by the excellent front of house staff. Recommendations already made with friends and family. Not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Up market diningBorderboyDined on 26/7/2012Went here as a group of 5 based on the great reviews. Food and service excellent. Just think the ambiance lacks a little for the money compared to top London restaurants where the prices are similar but the decor is much more coordinated. Too many pieces of furniture that have been recycled from this buildings previous uses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nearly great....EdinfoodieDined on 21/7/2012We opted for the 8 course tasting menu with wine. (in reality 7) Much of Mark's food is astounding: flair, technical excellence & presentation combined with locally sourced produce are an unbeatable combination. However our main gripe was with the wine flight. Unlike others we have sampled there was no initial glass of champage and every course did not have an accomanying wine. (5 glasses) This meant there were periods when we were eating with empty glasses in front of us. We spoke to the sommelier at the end of the evening. He was exceptionally receptive to our comments and, informed us he did have plans to make some changes. We hope so because this a great dining experience that could so easily have been an outstanding one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday nightBagpuss1979Dined on 21/7/2012Excellent food and service. Was a little bit noisy due to a party in another room but not to the point where we could not hear ourselves. Peanut butter cheesecake was amazing! There is a market menu which is excellent value at 3 courses for £20. Would recommend for pre-theatre as it is close to the playhouse. Currently raconteur have a pop up cocktail bar upstairs which is worth a visit pre or post meal for cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Lunch/ Pre TheateriainDined on 21/7/2012Great value on the set lunch/ pre theatre, fantastic food. only second time we have been, the manger welcomed us back. Next time we want to try the tasting menu as everything we saw coming out of kitchen was visually stuning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love at first bite?valiantrenchermanDined on 20/7/2012Not entirely, but nonetheless a very good initial dining experience. To get a better sense of the chef's approach to food, we had the tour menu, which was eight courses paired with wine. The wine choices were excellent, and generous enough without being either too much or too little. The food was always interesting, but some dishes seemed a bit over complicated. The amuse bouche potato spuma was a lovely little surprise, and the pea veloute stood out, as did the fish course. the pre-dessert cheesecake was insteresting, and the petit fours were also nicely chosen and delicious, but deconstructed Eton Mess was a bit of a let down.Special Features:
- Love lunch?? Love this!!hurayDined on 14/7/2012A modest sized but high ceilinged,elegant room---tables immaculately set with linens and glassware---all providing an excellent ambience. This was my second visit for lunch and I can only speak for the 'Market Menu'. The choice was adequate; the food was beautifully presented, some looking almost like a still life painting. The blending of flavours and textures was done well. Definitely a haunt one would want to come back to!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great 3 course for £20 menusharpo2005Dined on 11/7/2012Very good value pre-theatre menu before 6.45pm. Would like to try more of the menu after this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lunch to remembertrojanDined on 30/6/2012Went for lunch, expecting a good meal, had a fantastic meal with excellent service ( especially the wine waiter), discussing when we could return for the evening taster menu!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty tasting!hulisaDined on 26/6/2012Most relaxing - leaving all choices of food and wine to the experts, Service was excellent; we were asked several times whether we would like a short break before the next course. All the extensive mixes of ingredients seemed to bring out the best in the finished dishes. First class!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingweelassieDined on 23/6/2012What a great find! Hadn't heard of Mark until Great British Menu but was impressed with him so decided to give this restaurant a try. So pleased we did as we had a very memorable meal. Menu was exciting and different,flavours worked so well together. Could have had anything on the menu it all sounded so good. Service was fantastic, friendly and efficient. Staff well trained and helpful.Considering the work that must have gone into the preparation of the food, prices were not over the top. Will be back soon. I think more promotion is needed as none of my foodie friends in Edinburgh had heard of it and it has been open for about a year I believe. This restaurant deserves a Michelin star far better than the ones in Edinburgh that have one.Special Features:
- Birthday lunchPaulineDined on 23/6/2012We had a girlie birthday lunch and the service was outstanding, food was great and it was just a plesant experience. I am gluten free and they did a brilliant job catering for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best restaurants in EDIAnastasiaDined on 20/6/2012Everything starting from a reservatipn team to the food has been just excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantNPD1VIPDined on 16/6/2012Mark serves his dishes with the confidence they deserve. Well constructed courses with imaginative presentation is combined with unobtrusive service and good value wines. Not as stuffy as his peers and all the better for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but one disappointmentJoannaDined on 15/6/2012The food was delicious, we had a lovely table. My main had clearly been left to one side while it waited for the others to catch up. I pointed this out and we were given complimentary coffees and petit fours which was very nice of them. Overall a lovely restaurant, it is a shame that it let itself down with my main.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good meal and service.alinDined on 12/6/2012Really good meal and service. Well worth a try if you haven't dined here before.Special Features:
- This was one of the best andfredDined on 8/6/2012This was one of the best and most memorable meals I have ever had, and I would recommend it to anyone who is celebrating a special occasion or just thinking about something out of the ordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent startersLK84Dined on 8/6/2012We decided to try the tasting menu with matching wines at Mark Greenaway the starters were divine then we moved onto a pea veloute which was the star of the show. Fish course was a disappointment with halibut overcooked and next course of belly pork required more apple to cut through the meat. Sweets were very sweet and could have been perhaps been a bit lighter given all that had proceeded. Wines were a perfect match and could not be faulted. Had to ask for our water to be topped up twice and there was only one unisex toilet which you would not expect given the prices for the food. They do a pre theater menu which I would expect to be well worth trying.Special Features:
- Dining at it's bestRobbosnrDined on 7/6/2012Very hard to fault anything about this dining experience. The food was fantastic and the knowledge and service of the staff was top class. Will definitely return and recommend to friends and colleagues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.