The Royal Exchange
London, EC3V 3LRNeighborhood:
FrenchPrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sauterelle-restaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 02076182483
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12pm - 2:30pm, 6pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Arnaud Delannay
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Restaurant Sauterelle
Located in London in the heart of the City, on the south mezzanine of the Royal Exchange building, Restaurant Sauterelle is an elegant haven for City execs and well-heeled shoppers. Head Chef Arnaud Delannay, brings his background in Provence to the fore with a classical French menu which changes seasonally. Using only the highest quality produce, his menu focuses on clean, incisive flavours and unfussy presentation. Popular dishes include: Orkney Isle scallop, curried cauliflower purée, sauce vierge and micro basil; 12 hour cooked pork belly, smoked Secretts carrot purée, Swiss chard, red wine sauce and Apple tart tatin. Few London restaurants have as delightful a location as Restaurant Sauterelle, and the French menu, superb staff and excellent wines make the most of a very good thing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Restaurant Sauterelle - Best restaurants in Bank ›
Restaurant Sauterelle reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since 19 May 2014
business meals (124)special occasions (78)fit for foodies (60)romance (56)outstanding value (23)good vegetarian options (16)group bookings (15)pre/post theatre (13)brunch (12)afternoon tea (11)sunday lunch (3)disabled access (3)outdoor eating (2)child friendly (1)Show More
- DeliciousMrEfficiencyDined on 5/9/2014The tastes of various dishes lingered on from lunch till the evening! A short menu, but every choice looked delightful.Special Features:
- Friendly and good qualityKC24Dined on 2/9/2014friendly staff, who were efficient and attentive. very good quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodFanDined on 29/8/2014This place is amazing value! We chose the 3 course set menu for £25 (which includes a glass of wine) and each course was delicious. The food was truly excellent (and I eat at a lot of London's top restaurants), the setting at the Royal Exchange building is beautiful and I would definitely recommend a visit. It was quite quiet for a Friday night; I can only guess that not many people know about this restaurant as it is tucked away. Truly a hidden gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening Standard set menurestaurantgoersDined on 21/8/2014We came to Sauterelle because of an offer in the Evening Standard for 2 courses and a drink for £20. However, what originally seemed to be a good value lunch celebration turned out to be less than we expected. The food was delicious, but the portions were extremely tiny and no sides were available with the set menu. We were only offered one slice of bread, followed by a tiny main course (we ordered trout and chicken) and an even smaller dessert (we had the hazelnut parfait). At the end, we were given petit fours (financiers and truffles) with our bill, which we gobbled up gratefully. The service was very slow, but friendly. Come here if you want to splash out on the a la carte.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive staffOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 20/8/2014The staff were very attentive without being in your face. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place to eatCityBoyDined on 12/8/2014As always this is a fantastic place to dine, one of my favourite places to eat in the city. The food is excellent and the service is second to none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant but not memorableLaGourmande89Dined on 6/8/2014The atmosphere is good, the food very tasty and the service left nothing to be desired. I'm glad I went, but I won't be rushing back because, while it was good, there was nothing striking about it.
- Enjoy2eatEnjoy2eatDined on 6/8/2014Food and service met the ambiance of the setting of the restaurant, it was a pleasure to dine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food but slow serviceLuckyTimVIPDined on 6/8/2014I've eaten at the restuarant on a few occassions and I have to say that the food was again spot on. The flavours were lovely. Cost is on par with most City restaurants but the set menu was reasonable value. Today, it was very busy and as a result service was slow. Notwithstanding that, I'd recommend a visit.Special Features:
- Sereal Sauterelle!Eat87Dined on 5/8/2014Set within and looking over the Royal Exchange hall offers a great location in impressive surroundings. The bar offers a good selection of pre-dinner drinks and cocktails and they have a broad and varied wine list. The food is good and professionally presented, served by helpful and friendly staff. Highly recommended for business lunches and dinners.Special Features:
- Lovely mealIzzieDined on 1/8/2014We ate here with friends on Friday evening. The restaurant was busy but not packed. It would have been nice to have had a table by the window, but the ambience was pleasant, and the staff were lovely. The food was excellent, with plenty of choice on the Opentable deal. The amuse bouches and petit fours are a nice touch too. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Quality in every respectStuartbassDined on 30/7/2014Beautifully prepared and presented food, served by friendly and professional staff in a mezzanine restaurant overlooking the best of 19th century architecture in the centre of the City of London. What more could anyone want? Except the Evening Standard promotion giving 2 courses and a glass of wine for £20! Will be back for special occasions - first class.Special Features:
- Nice setting!eweyDined on 28/7/2014The environment and ambience is very pleasant - a good place to relax with someone special. Food is good and filling, and the OT offer makes it good value!Special Features:
- Good choiceLondonloverVIPDined on 24/7/2014As usual this restaurant is a very good choice to impress guests with the setting, professional service and food. The Millionares cocktail was very good too. I always enjoy dining at Restaurant Sauterelle. It tends to be quieter in the evening and busier at lunch times.Special Features:
- Business LunchDE10Dined on 22/7/2014I have dined at this restaurant several times and have always found the food and service to be very good. The venue is very impressive too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and serviceRussDined on 21/7/2014Didn't know what to expect from the restaurant having found it via opentable and not dined there previously. The food was amazing, better than I had imagined. The staff were very friendly and attentive. Some lovely views over a historic building while dinning also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great business lunch venueFoodWine24Dined on 14/7/2014An impressive setting, impressive food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place, you have to try it!BappadasDined on 11/7/2014Went here on a Friday night, the service was outstanding even though service was included in the bill we left an extra tip as we felt valued. Food was amazing, very fresh and tasty. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Excellent lunchfoxbatVIPDined on 11/7/2014I went to Sauterelle for a busines lunch and had the £20 two course fixed menu. Absultely excellent in every way. many thanks.Special Features:
- LunchCountryMouseDined on 10/7/2014Great location. Good choice of A la Carte and Table D'Hote Menus. Lively atmosphere at lunch time but discreet enough for business meetings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a lovely girl's dinnerliliroviDined on 8/7/2014We had such a nice evening. I went to sauterelle with my girlfriend on the toptable deal 3 courses and a cocktail for 25 £ and that was great value and fun. We came out stuffed and the food and drinjs were delicious. I would definitely recommend the surroundings as well as the royal exchange is one of the most impressive and beautiful building in london and makes a perfect setting for a sinner out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent eveningtenzilKemVIPDined on 4/7/2014We had a great evening at Sauterelle, with their fantastic 'three courses and unlimited fizz' offer. This proved great value, but the food and service remained top-notch. The waiting staff were all very friendly yet professional. I opted for the Corninsh cod which was cooked to perfection and my friends who had the chicken found it moist and delciious and the parmesan gnocchi were fantastic! The dessert was also excellent. We shall certianly be returning.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceGrahamDined on 4/7/2014Had an enjoyable meal last Friday for our Wedding Anniversary. Great surroundings within the Royal Exchange building and had seats looking out onto the old trading floor, making a Started with celebratory glass of champagne and then a fine bottle of bordeaux with the meal. My wife went for the vegeterian set menu, while i took the salmon starter with the Aylesbury duck for main. The duck was prepared beautifully, and was tender and flavoursome. Service was attentive, discrete and unobtrusive and they also made a surprise for us with the dessert as we'd mentioned it was our anniversary. Overrall we thoroughly enjoyed our special evening and would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CBFOODIEDined on 3/7/2014Have dined at Sauterelle on a few occasions and never disappoints. Service is always good and not too stuffy. We took advantage of the 3 courses plus champagne for £25. Food was lovely. The restaurant wasn't too busy - and we had a table overlooking the Royal Exchange bar below. Definitely recommend this restaurant for great service and foodSpecial Features:
- Lovely food and good valueJacqui888Dined on 2/7/2014Went to Sauterelle for early dinner. Lovely location and nice ambience. We had the three course set menu option with glass of champagne and it was good value. Food was very good and service too. I would go again and I'd recommend it to friends too.Special Features:
- SharaRubberduckDined on 18/6/2014A great place for a special occasion or catching up with friends over a meal and drink. Special offer was good value.Special Features:
- Nice location, good foodNormskiVIPDined on 17/6/2014This is a good place to bring visitors to London, as the building is impressive and they serve good food. The staff are attentive, although they seemed a little thin on the ground on this occasion.
- Great value, fabulous food.KevCVIPDined on 6/6/2014The value for a Friday evening was fantastic. Peaceful romantic ambiance. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Safe bet, great service, but priceysunshine9Dined on 4/6/2014Liked the food as before, great place to have a business or personal conversation around Bank, service a bit less efficient than for my previous visit but still attentive.Special Features:
- Excellent experienceClaudicatDined on 3/6/2014Had a really great lunch and amazing value for money (went for the set menu). Great tasting, awesome presentation, fantastic waiting staff who made you feel really welcome and special (thank you to them!).Special Features:
- Not good valueXrayDined on 30/5/2014The restaurant looked empty and was. Not perhaps helped by the sign saying that the Mezzanine was closed! Since the restaurant is on the Mezzanine passing traffic will not be attracted. The bar, presumably for the Mezzanine was closed. If one wished to have a pre dinner drink one was invited to go downstairs to the Bistro. Not a great experience. With the toilet facilities 2 floors down even less reason to pay good money.Special Features:
- GemStephenDulwichVIPDined on 9/5/2014Sauterelle seems to slip under the radar when thinking about a night out in the City. Maybe this is because of the plethora of other options. Maybe it is because it is tucked-away discretely in the Royal Exchange. It is, however, an elegant and engaging setting for dinner ... be it with a favoured client or significant other. Occasionally, I am told, these can be the same person! There is a set menu (3 courses for £23.50) with simple, well prepared and fresh dishes, or a more traditional (British/country fare) a la carte menu with strong central ingredients brought to the fore (pigeon, crab, scallops, lamb etc.) with non-over powering accompaniments.Special Features:
- Nice eveningMuncherDined on 9/5/2014Lovely setting with a relaxed ambiance. Service was relaxed yet professional.To start we ate Salmon which was nice and 2 pigeons which were also nice but could have had a sauce though the roulade was very good. We had 3 ducks for the main which were very nice but would have preferred to know in advance that it came with foie gras - some of us may have ordered something else but we didn't ask beforehand. We shared a chocolate pave dessert which tasted good but a little heavy for our liking though the honeycomb and chocolate orange ice cream were very good. For wine we had Cuvee Alice which was really nice. We were surprised with extras as it was a special birthday for one guest. Nice evening and the food was good, but possibly overpriced.Special Features:
- Great ValuemeandhimDined on 2/5/2014Really great evening at Sauterelle. The offer menu is superb value and excellent choices. I marked one star down on the food. The 'Pork Belly' came rolled with no crackling!. Whilst I appreciate chefs looking for new ways there are some traditions which shouldn't be messed with! Would not stop us going again. Cocktails included in special were excellent. Restaurant manager is a delight and his team show they follow his lead. Thanks Sauterelle, we will be back.Special Features:
- SauterelleKMcKDined on 15/4/2014Catching up with old school friends, the Sauterelle provided a perfect blend of good food and wine in a grown up environment where we could hear each other speak - and for a 20 year catch up, there was much to say. Service very attentive (maybe a bit too much but once it filled up we no longer provided the focus of attention!). Altogether a fine dining experience. Highly recommend and set menu was good value with excellent cocktails!Special Features:
- Great team who look afterMarcDined on 4/4/2014Great team who look after you, food is lovely too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good yet againSerenityDined on 3/4/2014Fabulous service once again, generous portions and lovely ambience. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took my girlfirend here forSouflondonboyDined on 1/4/2014Took my girlfirend here for her birthday and was really great evening. The service was superb, we had a great table overlooking the royal exchange and the food was excellent. We had the set menu and with wine the bill came to £96 which I thought seemed very reasonable. For the quality of the experience, food and wine I thought this place was really excellent. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Nice place - poor serviceRovaniDined on 27/3/2014Service was slow and uneducated. The head waiter,speaking with at heavy french accent, tried to make us buy a more expensiv champagne and totally overdid his enthusiasm every time we ordered af course: "Excellent choice", he repeated. We had to ask for aperitifs and bread and special menu. The food was alright, but too pricey. More like hotel food. Surroundings were spectacular.
- Excellent overall experiencedbris1Dined on 21/3/2014The setting of this restaurant, in the Royal Exchange, as well as the exceptional quality of the food (ordered the 3 course set menu) make Sauterelle one of my new favourites in the City. Also, the service was incredibly friendly, especially our waiter Alexandre. Strongly recommend (and already have to my friends) this place for a cozy romantic dinner or even a formal business meeting. And, I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.