The Royal Exchange
London, EC3V 3LRNeighbourhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sauterelle-restaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 02076182483x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12pm - 2:30pm, 6pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Executive Chef: Arnaud Delannay
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Restaurant Sauterelle
Located in London in the heart of the City, on the south mezzanine of the Royal Exchange building, Sauterelle is an elegant haven for City execs and well-heeled shoppers. Head Chef Stefano Leone works across the Grand Café and Sauterelle creating and conjuring up new modern European dishes, heavily influenced from his past experiences immersed in different cultures and cuisines. Next in line to Stefano is another born and bred Italian with a colourful background, Piero Leone. Piero has picked up lots of cultural influences after spending time in Australia, Mexico & Singapore to name a few, his creative flair and passion makes him the perfect fit for Sauterelle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Restaurant Sauterelle - Best restaurants in Bank ›
Restaurant Sauterelle reviews from OpenTable diners
177 reviews since 31 October 2013
business meals (127)special occasions (79)romance (60)fit for foodies (58)outstanding value (24)group bookings (18)good vegetarian options (17)pre/post theatre (14)brunch (13)afternoon tea (11)sunday lunch (3)disabled access (3)outdoor eating (2)child friendly (1)Show More
- meandhimDined on 27/10/2014Second visit here. Had the Monday evening £35 3 course unlimited bubbles. Good value and the quality of the food is superb. The beef carpaccio starter is fabulous. The mains followed very well. The Lamb was superb as was the cod. The puds were ok, felt a bit of an after thought but didn't create an issue. Sometimes a little slow at topping up people's bubbles but it was a school night I suppose..! Would definately go back. The restaurant manager is superb and his staff were a delight. Formal service but not stuffy. Lovely evening. Going back for lunch next monthSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good dealTwigletDined on 20/10/2014Booked with the 3 course set menu + unlimited bubbles for £35 deal - menu nicer than that listed on the website, with a decent range (for a set deal). Beef carpaccio starter with cheese fondue was a real highlight, mains and desserts also excellent and well executed. Service was good, if a little formal. Would return.Special Features:
- excellent menu, charming serviceAlanaWokingVIPDined on 20/10/2014if you are a pair, you may want to ask for a table overlooking the court of the Royal Exchange at night, in particular, was an added bonus to a wonderful dining experience. It was hard for me personally, to choose from such exceptionally good options all of which were highly appealing. The final choices did not disappoint, all delicious and beautifully presented. For the quality and the imagination, this table d'hotef was outstanding and amazing value. The price only went up for us as we added wine to the detailed offer but cannot fault anything as it was certainly worth it, altogether a big success, my guest was also blown away. Think I will be back very soon as the menu was so tempting.Special Features:
- Absolute treatdonnaVIPDined on 16/10/2014The service, the food and the atmosphere were superb. Staff were so very professional but friendly at the same time. Each plate produced exclamations of delight - the puddings were little plates of art. The building the restaurant is set in is very impressive and the clever glass walls allow the diner to admire the architecture. Would definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great value for the pricefoodieDined on 15/10/2014I had never noticed this restaurant even though I had passed through the Royal Exchange many times. We tried the promotional set menu. The food was delicious, service was great. Overall it was very good for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BethybootsDined on 15/10/2014Had a truly joyous experience at Sauterelle last Wednesday. A friend and myself had the most delicious lunch, with very attentive service. Made to feel welcome and given a nice table overlooking The Grand Cafe. Will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodPinsDined on 13/10/2014Sauterelle is certainly a high quality restaurant tucked away in Royal Exchange, we took the Monday night offer of 3 courses and unlimited Prosecco, which I'm glad we had the food and bubbles lived up to expectation, and the service was simply excellent.Special Features:
- Monday special offerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 13/10/2014They have a terrific value special offer on Monday evenings, but there were few diners. More for business clients.Special Features:
- DeliciousMrEfficiencyDined on 5/9/2014The tastes of various dishes lingered on from lunch till the evening! A short menu, but every choice looked delightful.Special Features:
- Friendly and good qualityKC24Dined on 2/9/2014friendly staff, who were efficient and attentive. very good quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodFanDined on 29/8/2014This place is amazing value! We chose the 3 course set menu for £25 (which includes a glass of wine) and each course was delicious. The food was truly excellent (and I eat at a lot of London's top restaurants), the setting at the Royal Exchange building is beautiful and I would definitely recommend a visit. It was quite quiet for a Friday night; I can only guess that not many people know about this restaurant as it is tucked away. Truly a hidden gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening Standard set menurestaurantgoersDined on 21/8/2014We came to Sauterelle because of an offer in the Evening Standard for 2 courses and a drink for £20. However, what originally seemed to be a good value lunch celebration turned out to be less than we expected. The food was delicious, but the portions were extremely tiny and no sides were available with the set menu. We were only offered one slice of bread, followed by a tiny main course (we ordered trout and chicken) and an even smaller dessert (we had the hazelnut parfait). At the end, we were given petit fours (financiers and truffles) with our bill, which we gobbled up gratefully. The service was very slow, but friendly. Come here if you want to splash out on the a la carte.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive staffOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 20/8/2014The staff were very attentive without being in your face. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place to eatCityBoyDined on 12/8/2014As always this is a fantastic place to dine, one of my favourite places to eat in the city. The food is excellent and the service is second to none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant but not memorableLaGourmande89Dined on 6/8/2014The atmosphere is good, the food very tasty and the service left nothing to be desired. I'm glad I went, but I won't be rushing back because, while it was good, there was nothing striking about it.
- Enjoy2eatEnjoy2eatDined on 6/8/2014Food and service met the ambiance of the setting of the restaurant, it was a pleasure to dine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food but slow serviceLuckyTimVIPDined on 6/8/2014I've eaten at the restuarant on a few occassions and I have to say that the food was again spot on. The flavours were lovely. Cost is on par with most City restaurants but the set menu was reasonable value. Today, it was very busy and as a result service was slow. Notwithstanding that, I'd recommend a visit.Special Features:
- Sereal Sauterelle!Eat87Dined on 5/8/2014Set within and looking over the Royal Exchange hall offers a great location in impressive surroundings. The bar offers a good selection of pre-dinner drinks and cocktails and they have a broad and varied wine list. The food is good and professionally presented, served by helpful and friendly staff. Highly recommended for business lunches and dinners.Special Features:
- Lovely mealIzzieDined on 1/8/2014We ate here with friends on Friday evening. The restaurant was busy but not packed. It would have been nice to have had a table by the window, but the ambience was pleasant, and the staff were lovely. The food was excellent, with plenty of choice on the Opentable deal. The amuse bouches and petit fours are a nice touch too. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Quality in every respectStuartbassDined on 30/7/2014Beautifully prepared and presented food, served by friendly and professional staff in a mezzanine restaurant overlooking the best of 19th century architecture in the centre of the City of London. What more could anyone want? Except the Evening Standard promotion giving 2 courses and a glass of wine for £20! Will be back for special occasions - first class.Special Features:
- Nice setting!eweyDined on 28/7/2014The environment and ambience is very pleasant - a good place to relax with someone special. Food is good and filling, and the OT offer makes it good value!Special Features:
- Good choiceLondonloverVIPDined on 24/7/2014As usual this restaurant is a very good choice to impress guests with the setting, professional service and food. The Millionares cocktail was very good too. I always enjoy dining at Restaurant Sauterelle. It tends to be quieter in the evening and busier at lunch times.Special Features:
- Business LunchDE10Dined on 22/7/2014I have dined at this restaurant several times and have always found the food and service to be very good. The venue is very impressive too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and serviceRussDined on 21/7/2014Didn't know what to expect from the restaurant having found it via opentable and not dined there previously. The food was amazing, better than I had imagined. The staff were very friendly and attentive. Some lovely views over a historic building while dinning also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great business lunch venueFoodWine24Dined on 14/7/2014An impressive setting, impressive food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place, you have to try it!BappadasDined on 11/7/2014Went here on a Friday night, the service was outstanding even though service was included in the bill we left an extra tip as we felt valued. Food was amazing, very fresh and tasty. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Excellent lunchfoxbatVIPDined on 11/7/2014I went to Sauterelle for a busines lunch and had the £20 two course fixed menu. Absultely excellent in every way. many thanks.Special Features:
- LunchCountryMouseDined on 10/7/2014Great location. Good choice of A la Carte and Table D'Hote Menus. Lively atmosphere at lunch time but discreet enough for business meetings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a lovely girl's dinnerliliroviDined on 8/7/2014We had such a nice evening. I went to sauterelle with my girlfriend on the toptable deal 3 courses and a cocktail for 25 £ and that was great value and fun. We came out stuffed and the food and drinjs were delicious. I would definitely recommend the surroundings as well as the royal exchange is one of the most impressive and beautiful building in london and makes a perfect setting for a sinner out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent eveningtenzilKemVIPDined on 4/7/2014We had a great evening at Sauterelle, with their fantastic 'three courses and unlimited fizz' offer. This proved great value, but the food and service remained top-notch. The waiting staff were all very friendly yet professional. I opted for the Corninsh cod which was cooked to perfection and my friends who had the chicken found it moist and delciious and the parmesan gnocchi were fantastic! The dessert was also excellent. We shall certianly be returning.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceGrahamDined on 4/7/2014Had an enjoyable meal last Friday for our Wedding Anniversary. Great surroundings within the Royal Exchange building and had seats looking out onto the old trading floor, making a Started with celebratory glass of champagne and then a fine bottle of bordeaux with the meal. My wife went for the vegeterian set menu, while i took the salmon starter with the Aylesbury duck for main. The duck was prepared beautifully, and was tender and flavoursome. Service was attentive, discrete and unobtrusive and they also made a surprise for us with the dessert as we'd mentioned it was our anniversary. Overrall we thoroughly enjoyed our special evening and would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CBFOODIEDined on 3/7/2014Have dined at Sauterelle on a few occasions and never disappoints. Service is always good and not too stuffy. We took advantage of the 3 courses plus champagne for £25. Food was lovely. The restaurant wasn't too busy - and we had a table overlooking the Royal Exchange bar below. Definitely recommend this restaurant for great service and foodSpecial Features:
- Lovely food and good valueJacqui888Dined on 2/7/2014Went to Sauterelle for early dinner. Lovely location and nice ambience. We had the three course set menu option with glass of champagne and it was good value. Food was very good and service too. I would go again and I'd recommend it to friends too.Special Features:
- SharaRubberduckDined on 18/6/2014A great place for a special occasion or catching up with friends over a meal and drink. Special offer was good value.Special Features:
- Nice location, good foodNormskiVIPDined on 17/6/2014This is a good place to bring visitors to London, as the building is impressive and they serve good food. The staff are attentive, although they seemed a little thin on the ground on this occasion.
- Great value, fabulous food.KevCVIPDined on 6/6/2014The value for a Friday evening was fantastic. Peaceful romantic ambiance. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Safe bet, great service, but priceysunshine9Dined on 4/6/2014Liked the food as before, great place to have a business or personal conversation around Bank, service a bit less efficient than for my previous visit but still attentive.Special Features:
- Excellent experienceClaudicatDined on 3/6/2014Had a really great lunch and amazing value for money (went for the set menu). Great tasting, awesome presentation, fantastic waiting staff who made you feel really welcome and special (thank you to them!).Special Features:
- Not good valueXrayDined on 30/5/2014The restaurant looked empty and was. Not perhaps helped by the sign saying that the Mezzanine was closed! Since the restaurant is on the Mezzanine passing traffic will not be attracted. The bar, presumably for the Mezzanine was closed. If one wished to have a pre dinner drink one was invited to go downstairs to the Bistro. Not a great experience. With the toilet facilities 2 floors down even less reason to pay good money.Special Features:
- GemStephenDulwichVIPDined on 9/5/2014Sauterelle seems to slip under the radar when thinking about a night out in the City. Maybe this is because of the plethora of other options. Maybe it is because it is tucked-away discretely in the Royal Exchange. It is, however, an elegant and engaging setting for dinner ... be it with a favoured client or significant other. Occasionally, I am told, these can be the same person! There is a set menu (3 courses for £23.50) with simple, well prepared and fresh dishes, or a more traditional (British/country fare) a la carte menu with strong central ingredients brought to the fore (pigeon, crab, scallops, lamb etc.) with non-over powering accompaniments.Special Features: