167 Burton Road
Manchester, M20 2LNNeighbourhood:
EuropeanPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rhubarbrestaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 01614488887
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5pm - 10pm
Sunday: 1pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Asian
- Executive Chef: Mark Ramsden
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Rhubarb
Rhubarb is a modern independent restaurant recommended in the Michelin guide. Opened in 2003 by Husband and Wife team Mark and Lisa Ramsden, Rhubarb offers an eclectic Modern European menu with some Asian elements too.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rhubarb reviews from OpenTable diners
- a bad dining experienceEileen48Dined on 18/1/2013Ridiculously expensive for a restaurant that clearly has little interest in food, service or dining experience. A bleak room with ghastly wallpaper and tatty tables, 3/4 empty.The first courses were quite simply inedible. I had two squares of warmed cheese placed on a pile of overcooked puy lentils on some wet lettuce. The lentils rapidly coagulated. My husband had "deep-fired squid" - a few tiny thin pieces, not deep fried, on a pile of couscous with a side dish of bottled sauce (some already slurped on the squid). For about £9. We complained and they did take them off the bill.The main courses were reasonable, but overpriced. A bad experience
- How can this be highly recommendedSearcherDined on 24/12/2012Disappointing - We wanted a special meal on Christmas Eve and the website looked very promising. However, indifferent service and food explained the empty tables .... Shan't go again.
- A meal with my wonderful family.federfanDined on 23/12/2012This was booked for a get-together with four of my seven grandchildren - a change from Pizza Express where we usually go when all seven are present! The young lady who served us was outstanding and the food voted a winner except for my 21-year old granddaughter who said it was not too good but she cleaned her plates nevertheless! For the remaining five of us it was excellent with special mention of the squid and the steaks - cooked to perfection. We were too full for desserts but we will return! Well done Rhubarb.Special Features:
- 23rd DecemberMon2012Dined on 22/12/2012Nice starters and main course and good service.Disappointed that 4 of the desserts had run out by 10pm on a Saturday night though. Not great ending to husband's birthday meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rhubarb ReviewnuttynaaDined on 16/12/2012The food at Rhubarb was very good and impressive for a set-menu and was resonable value. The lamb dish was delicious but I think a £4 supplement is steep for a set-menu. Unfortunately, the service was very mediocre. The waitresses were welcoming but uninterested and the casual service didn't match up to the standard of food. Understandbly, the restaurant was quiet as it was Sunday evening; however the staff made it feel like they were tired and fed up. Overall, I enjoyed my experience and would re-visit but I won't recommend the service to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Really well presentedHitenDined on 15/12/2012Great food. Really well presented and good value for money on the Seasonal party menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good - nearly perfectPartyof8Dined on 1/12/2012We booked for a party of 8 people and had the Christmas menu. The food was very good overall, especially the beef and duck main courses. The date / pecan pudding and Christmas apple cake were our favourite desserts. The cheesecake wasn't so well liked. The service was pretty good, with the courses being delivered at the right time. Overall, an excellent experience. Just one downside - the room is small and - when full of people - very noisy.Special Features:
- excellent value and qualityjampotDined on 21/11/2012We dined at Rhubarb on a Wednesday evening and benefitted from their set menu which is fantastic value. The food was really tasty and you could tell that they had opted for quality ingredients. There are lots of choices as well as vegetarian options. They also have a good selection of wines.The decor is simple but homely and it was surprisingly busy for midweek!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- welcoming, cosy and friendlylongfaceDined on 15/11/2012welcoming, cosy and friendly atmosphere! the food and service are of a very high quality!!Special Features:
- A lovely evening...LinaDined on 10/11/2012...was had by my husband and I. We enjoyed an Early Bird Dinner and had a 3 course meal. The food was presented well and was very tasty and of a great quality. The service was great and we would definitely return. The food - especially the Chocolate Brownie Desert was to die for and although we were quite full we couldn't resist and we are glad we induldged as it finshed off the meal very well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrating a 21st and 20thVeganconvertDined on 23/10/2012Celebrating a 21st and 20th birthday for my son and daughter - table booked for 7 people. Had previously mentioned that my daughter was vegan - the staff were extremely accommodating and made the most fabulous vegan food, highly recommended for vegans and meat eaters alike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost BrilliantVIPDANDined on 13/10/2012We have been here several times and this time took our friends and booked a table for 4. Initital reception / attention from the staff was excellent. Food / wine again excellent, All had different things, all lovely, the night was going great. Only down side (and it is only a slight gripe) is when ordered coffee's we got told (10 mins later) that they had turned the coffee machine off and would take 20-30mins to warm up again. So we ordered taxis and dispensed with Coffee - After 20 mins we asked to check the taxis - to be told they had forgot to ring them. The last 2 incidents left us waiting around for 30 mins. Without them I'd have rated 5* for all - That said the food was excellent and it would not put me off going back. - DanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptionally good foodJessieDined on 9/10/2012Not expensive and good value. Very tasty food and very good staff friendly and attentive without being overbearing. Would go again and take/recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadly not what it wasArkmayDined on 22/9/2012Wedding anniversary dinner on Saturday night. Last are at Rhubarb for same occaision 2 years ago when my rating was 5 stars. Sadly standards have slipped, starters ok but lacked x factor, same for mains, puddings were a real dissappintment though. Service was friendly but bit disorganised, different waiter with each course/request, seated 15 mins before being given a menu or asked about drinks orders. All in all a bit average when previous experience was so much more than that - dissappointing.
- What's happened Rhubarb?GingerSquirrelDined on 14/9/2012We've been going to this place since it opened and we've alwyas had good food and service, so not sure whether we picked a bad night, but service was terrible & food was poor. It took 30 mins to be offered a menu and a drink and then several times of asking for the same thing before it was brought to us. Is your usual front of house on holiday ? My starters was overcooked and the main course just average, as the steak was not cooked as requested but i was too hungry to argue. Shame as this used to be a safe bet but am worried something has slipped.Special Features:
- Bad Night, Atrocious AttitudeBellyDined on 8/9/2012We unfortunately experienced very poor service. We had to ask for table water 3 times before it was finally delivered. We both ordered main courses with a view to having the cheese board for afters. 50 minutes after we placed our order we had still not received our food. After querying this with the owner/manager we were told that you HAVE to wait at least 45 minutes because we hadn't ordered a starter!! despite our protest she assured me the chef just does everything in order regardless. 15 minutes later we still hadn't recvd any food and decided to leave. On talking to the owner again we didn't get any sort of apology, just a list of excuses justifying why we sat down at 8.30pm and still had no food at 9.45. It was obviously our fault!
- Having had 2 positive experiencesDidsburyfoodieDined on 29/8/2012Having had 2 positive experiences at Rhubarb I was disappointed this time. The food was un-inspiring and some elements undercooked-eg hard raw potatoes. However the staff were keen to remedy the situation and didn't charge for puddings (voluntarily). I think maybe it deserves another chance!
- Not quite thereNotnowDined on 23/8/2012The meal was ok, not the level we expected and some basic vegetarian needs overlooked. When we walked in we were greeted by someone who looked like we had turned up on her day off, not inviting or receptive at all. This was redeemed somewhat by our fabulous waitress who was friendly, answered our vegetarian questions with knowledge and patience and made a limited choice feel do'able. Food was ok but not amazing and the rude woman on arrival means I wouldn't go here again.
- Lovely Sunday Lunchlhowie1Dined on 19/8/2012We went for lunch on Sunday, we picked off the set menu and got 3 courses for £16.95 which was outstanding value as the food was stunning. The atmosphere was a bit lacking as we were one of only 2 tables in but the service was good and the food fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food, alright service!JellyBeanDined on 17/8/2012The food was as expected, really quite nice, but the service could be improved upon. One waitress was brilliant, attentive, funny and smiley - the other was completely the opposite. I'd go again anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing little restaurantPalkeiDined on 9/8/2012Rhubarb is one of my favourite restaurants for fillet steak. The place is quite small and can feel a little crowded if it is busy but the food has always been amazing.Special Features:
- Not quite as good as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2012Rhubarb is one of my favourite West Didsbury restaurants, and its early evening deal represents superb value for money. On previous visits this has meant no associated dip in quality, but last Friday, I have to admit to being a little disappointed. I had the duck confit, and felt very much like an over salty reheated thing. The meat was very stringy... the kind of thing you get in a second rate pub franchise. It's a shame to write this as, like I say, the standard of food at Rhubarb is normally excellent, so I do hope they don't become complacent... Here's hoping that it's back on form for my next visit.Special Features:
- Very Nice Little PlaceAndyDined on 1/8/2012Recently moved to Didsbury and thought would try out this restaurant after seeing reviews on the internet. Small restaurant but made atmosphere lively despite not being full. Service was a little slow but didn't detract from the evening. Food was very good in terms of flavour and presentation. The fixed price menu was very good value for money and had most of the a la carte selection. Ample portion sizes. Thoroughly enjoyed our evening there and would definitely return/ recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but too much noiseMimidalsaceDined on 7/7/2012We ordered three Rhubarb Bellinis, four arrived and the waitress dropped the fourth on the table - not a good start. Particularly since we were charged for four Bellinis and did not notice in time to.protest! The starters were disappointing - the scallops ceviche was bland and the porcini risotto extremely salty. Mains were much better. We chose scallops with salade nicoise, veal with sauteed potatoes and chicken with chick pea mash, all delicious and well-presented. Puddings were good too - the Manchester tart was light and perfectly judged and the Rhubarb version of sticky toffee pudding was lovely. Service was friendly and efficient (apart from the Bellini incident). Shame about the noise - too many people in a small space.Special Features:
- I decided on Rhubard afterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2012I decided on Rhubard after a friends recommendation and Reading the good reviews. Considering it was a Wednesday it was very quiet with one waitress and 3 other tables, having to wait 10mins for a Drinks order, a further 10 for 3 glasses of wine and then another 10mins for the food order to be taken our patience was wearing a bit thin as we were starving. Food finally arrived a good 25mins after that. The waitress was pleasant enough but we really would have expected to be served a lot quicker. I find the decoration to be a bit plain and tired and think the lighting should be darker to pull this off. I found the food excellent if not a great deal to choose from. The pricing was ok £98 for 3. Won't be rushing back anytime soon.
- Excellent food and the earlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 26/4/2012Excellent food and the early diner menu is great value.Special Features:
- We visited Rhubarb on a SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 22/4/2012We visited Rhubarb on a Sunday afternoon. We had the set menu which was great value at £13.95 for 2 courses. The food was enjoyable and the portions were generous - we couldn't finish the homecooked burger and triple cooked chips! The burger was cooked to completely the right taste. The restaurant wasn't busy so there wasn't much atmosphere but it was fine for a Sunday lunch catch up with friends.
- Worse restuarant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 24/3/2012Worse restuarant experience ever. Waited an hour and a quarter for the most tasteless cold prawn cocktail starter. After a further 30 mins got up to leave and rather than apologising the owner started to shout there were people starving in the world and we were complaining about having to wait nearly two hours for main courses. We paid the bill while she continued to scream that a table had turned up an hour and we were being unreasonable as she had put us to the head of the queue because we'd already complained. We left and will not be returning. There is clearly a kitchen issue on a Saturday night as some of the other reviews allude to but I wouldn't chance this place any other night either.
- Do not go on a Saturday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 24/3/2012We have had many meals here and really enjoy it, however we took friends on a Saturday night and were really disappointed. The service was really slow. It was nearly an hour between the starter and the main and we had ask 3 times to pay the bill. And for the first time the food was not to the excellent quality we are use to from Rhubarb. I had the lamb which was not cheap and it was over cooked. We will go back, but not at the weekend.
- Food was fantastic. Went withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 23/3/2012Food was fantastic. Went with girls for chit chat catch up and staff were brilliant!!!! Nice small establishment with amazing ambiance.Special Features:
- The standard of the food wasElisabethDined on 22/3/2012The standard of the food was excellent. I was spoilt for choice with starters, I was less enthusiastic about the main courses. In the end I settled for the vegetarian option, polenta with goats cheese, which was outstanding! I wasn't disappointed.Special Features:
- Early evening valueOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/3/2012Early evening a la carte menu 2 courses for £10 - and good food.
- We went for the early doorsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/3/2012We went for the early doors special which at £9.95 for 2 courses and 12.95 for 3 courses is exceptional value particularly considering the high standard of the food.Special Features:
- Good food and service. MyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 28/2/2012Good food and service. My partner had the chicken in sage cream as a main and I have to admit that I was very jealous. Portions were a good size. Service was good. I would recommend Rhubarb for a last minute dinner date or a place to go with friends. The atmosphere was good, but possibly a little busy to be romantic.Special Features:
- We were a group of 7 on aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 25/2/2012We were a group of 7 on a 'Retirement' do, we had a fantastic evening at Rhubarb, the food was just delicious. Would definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- Went to Rhubarb in DidsburyDOhhDined on 19/2/2012Went to Rhubarb in Didsbury for Sunday lunch taking son and girlfriend, who had eaten there before. It did not disappoint. The set menu was excellent value for money with a good choice for all 3 courses, the food was superb and the service was perfect. Highly recommended.
- The food was spectacular -OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2012The food was spectacular - the set menu is amazingly priced for such good quality. However, the cheapest bottle of wine is £16, beers are around £4+ , so drinks are very pricey in comparison! Definitely worth a visit - try the creme brule in particular!Special Features:
- Worth the extra mileOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/2/2012We visited the restaurant for a weekday birthday meal and it surpassed our expectations. The menu was varied and appetizing without being too pretentious. The food was beautifully cooked and flavoursome, the portions were a good size. The staff were attentive and polite. It's only fault is that it is 20 miles away from where we live - or we would be regulars!Special Features:
- Good food but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/2/2012Very nice food but tables packed too close together. Very small restaurant and rather pricey.Special Features:
- Food was lovely, service veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/2/2012Food was lovely, service very friendly but exceptionally slow, not great with a toddler in tow! Also people who came in after us were served before us, which was very disappointing. I appreciate fresh food and cooked from scratch but wasn't even terribly busy. We would go again but perhaps leave toddler with a babysitter!Special Features: