Roka Canary Wharf
40 Canada Square
4 Park Pavilion
London, E14 5FWNeighbourhood:
JapanesePrice: £41 and over
Roka Canary Wharf
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://rokarestaurant.com/canary-wharf/en/home
- Phone: 02076365228
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 3pm, 5:30pm - 11pm
Saturday: 11:30am - 4pm, 5:30pm - 11pm and Sunday: 11:30am - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar
A word from Roka Canary Wharf
The latest outpost of Roka restaurant is smack bang in the middle of London’s Canary Wharf. Like the other two branches in Fitzrovia and Hong Kong, this location specialises in robatayaki, contemporary Japanese-style barbecue prepared on the restaurant’s central robata grill. The food, and the restaurant, revolve around the warmth and energy of the grill. Décor here features light-toned wood and chic furniture, creating a warm and inviting atmosphere. The comfy al fresco terrace at Roka offers views over Canary Wharf, and the indoor bar sports a range of cocktails, beer and wine, as well as a selection of shochu infusions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Roka Canary Wharf - Best restaurants in Canary Wharf ›
Roka Canary Wharf reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since 23 October 2013
special occasions (55)fit for foodies (47)business meals (47)brunch (39)group bookings (36)sunday lunch (30)romance (24)child friendly (13)good vegetarian options (10)outstanding value (6)disabled access (6)afternoon tea (5)pre/post theatre (3)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- Great business lunchNorthBankVIPDined on 17/10/2014We ordered the tasting menu and the Excellent food didn't stop arrivingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the perfect sunday brunchGSLondonDined on 12/10/2014Roka on Sunday does a wonderful brunch that is inclusive of as many starters as you can eat, a main, desert and unlimited types of alcohol attached to each brunch type. Needless to say, it creates a raucous busy brasserie feel that may not to everyone's taste and certainly the shouting by the chefs as they prepare endless quantities of delicious and well presented food from within the eating area can sometimes feel overdone. Nonetheless, there is nothing else quite like it in London and certainly not at this standard in terms of Japanese food at this price point. It is absolutely worth visiting.Special Features:
- Excellent value WE brunchNathalieVIPDined on 5/10/2014Exquisite quality of food. When they say illimited wine, they mean it, my glass didn't get the chance to be half full. Amazing service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but very noisyBozzyDined on 1/10/2014Great food, but very very noisy. Hard to engage in conversation. In the Japanese style, the food comes at different times (which is fine) but alas the final main plate arriving after I'd paid the bill was a bit late...
- Friendly business lunchFrenchFoodieDined on 23/9/2014Had lunch at Roka last week with two friends / business relations - very good setting, lovely food, and good service. We asked to change (a bit) some of the dishes on the menu to cater for pescetarian eating options - and they kindly obliged. Definitely one of the uppoer end options in Canary Wharf for a weekday business lunch - and their week-end brunch is a steal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 21/9/2014Fantastic, loved the food and what a wonderful way to spend a lazy Sunday lunchtime with my girlfriends celebrating my birthdaySpecial Features:
- Much less good than it wasARNLondonVIPDined on 12/9/2014I have eaten at Roka a number of times and the last couple of visits have been disappointing. Prices seem to have gone up but quality has not. We ordered one of the menus. Some of the dishes were very good; others were bland. Service was fine if a little to attentive. Right now, I would not recommend it
- Overall experienceyumyumDined on 26/8/2014It was a good combination of service, ambiance and most importantly, good food. Waiters were friendly, helpful and efficient.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantAmy28Dined on 23/8/2014If you are into sushi and fish, this is the restaurant for you! Highly recommend the taster menu.Special Features:
- FirsttimeostricheaterDined on 17/8/2014We booked Roka Canary Wharf for Sunday brunch and the food did not disappoint. We were attended to with reasonable promptness, but we did have to wait in the bar area which was packed until our table was ready, and we were unfortunately not escorted to the area so we had no idea where to go exactly. We also were not explained the menu or what drinks to order and we almost 100% of the time had to usher for a waitress. Apart from this blip, the food was excellent. The service could be polished somewhat, regardless of how busy they may be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed feelings for an old favouriteManosDined on 19/7/2014We booked a table for 4 on a Sunday to celebrate our respective engagements. Having visited Roka in the past we were looking forward to some exquisite food. Sadly, the wooden decor created horrible acoustics, making a moderately busy restaurant sound deafeningly loud. Our table was so close to the till that waiters constantly brushed past & buzzed around us. When we moved table, the aircon dripped on us. Overworked staff seemed distracted & struggled to take orders in the din. But food was incredible. The BBQ ribs alone would have done it. Tuna tartar, mirin aubergine & black cod dumplings wowed us. To compensate for the dripping aircon we got a free desert platter (fruit, ice cream, creme brulee &c), which was simply divine. Great gesture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 19/7/2014Definately go to the brunch...amazing value, gorgeous food and great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tasting menuJules171Dined on 30/6/2014My dining partner and I both had the tasting menu - which was excellent - although perhaps a little much for lunchtime. Delicious and fresh meat and fish and excellent service throughout the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miso impressedAwoogaDined on 15/6/2014Having been here a couple times in the past, Roka has never disappointed. The black cod is just amazing, I would recommend Roka to anyone who would like an evening with great food. It is not a quiet restaurant but there is a lot of atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roka was greatHollywynneDined on 6/6/2014Had a lunch reservation and the restaurant was packed solid. The service was great and we had the taster menu with wine which we found was a lot of food for two but was gorgeous. Thoroughly enjoyed our visit and would highly recommend Roka.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RokaWimbledonfoodieDined on 11/5/2014The brunch experience at Roka is nothing short of outstanding. Opt for the most expensive menu, it may seem a lot but the platter of sashimi is out of this world and the lobster is amazing. The wine quality is excellent and your glass will be generously topped up throughout. This is definitely an experience to be save for a special occasion but well worth the price.Special Features:
- FantasticMAthersDined on 9/5/2014The only flaw was the fire alarms going off and having to stand outside for a half an hour. Other than this the experience was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfying food with good servicelightbodyVIPDined on 27/4/2014Roka Canary Wharf can be quite noisy on a Friday night. But other than that, I love this place. Sunday brunch is always the best deal. Miso cod is my favorite.Special Features:
- foodyrajDined on 26/4/2014We had a lovely lunch with 2 toddlers.the staff were very attentive and nice to the kids.the food was amazing and the kids and adults enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awful service on this occasionyumyumVIPDined on 11/4/2014Surprisly poor service from the waitress. Did not know the menu sufficiently and stated sea bream steak was a beef dish. The manager did not help the service issues as he rescinded something the waitress had agreed to without any apology, rather simply citing cost of the ingredients. There are better ways to address such situations. The 2nd&3rd wine/sake pairings were served at incorrect (late) times during the meal and when queried why we had no drinks the waitress she stated the bar was busy - unacceptable when the tasting menu with drinks pairing were our orders. When spending almost £200 for a meal for two the level of service was materially below expectations (and significantly below previously positive dining experiences at Roka)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality overallStefDined on 7/4/2014Excellent food, extremely fresh and well presented. Service outstanding.Special Features:
- Over rated restauranthhddVIPDined on 5/4/2014Food: Great with a nice presentation Environment: The music a little bit too loud and tables are quite close to each other Service: They rushed the dish out and want us to finish the food on the plate quickly, so that there are space to place the dish on the table. (not impressed!) Overheard a number of dropping of cutlery onto the floor sound. To make it worst. One of the waiter knocked down one of our phone onto the floor. (very not impressed!) Price: acceptable, but there are better choices of the same priceSpecial Features:
- We love Japanese food andBecBDined on 5/4/2014We love Japanese food and this did not disappoint. We had the taster menu and the food was so tasty. IT was briliantly presented with blocks of ice. it was a bit rushed maybe for a celebratory meal and I couldnt hear what the waiters were telling me we were eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect family celebrationeattheglobeDined on 5/4/2014this is a fabulous way to introduce family to Roka's menu and is incredible value. Our booking was early Saturday lunch and it was relaxed and not too loud with small groups and families. Some of our party did not drink alcohol and the soft drink alternative of iced tea, was just as delicious as the cocktails.Special Features:
- poor table serviceTalijaDined on 1/4/2014Hello, We have visited your restaurant on Tuesday 1th . Went here for my birthday and I was really looking forward to it after reading some reviews and having a personal recommendation. We were greeted by one of the hostess with grunting sighs, rolling of eyes, but never once a smile. I have eaten in some of the best and worst places but I can say that the poor level of service provided on Tuesday was totally unexpected. We have ordered two glasses of champagne on arrival and wine with the meal. The waiter brought the wine and started to pour it before champagne even arrived. No one even checked if the food was ok. In short, it was a disaster. I look forward to hearing from you
- Totally RokaEbotDined on 22/3/2014Can't go wrong on a weekend brunch. Kids no longer free, though still good value given what you get. Service, as always, attentive and friendly. Great atmosphere for a weekend. One of my sons calls this place Sushi Heaven. He's got it just about right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taster menu is superb with matchingRNGMVIPDined on 19/3/2014Sake was superb, the soft shell crab is absolutely amazingSpecial Features:
- Absolutely brilliantManuVIPDined on 13/3/2014I had a business lunch at Roka, and it could not have gone better. The food is unbelievable, one of the best Japanese dishes I have ever had. My compliments to the Brazilian chef that is an artist in the Japanese cuisine. Service was also amazing, and, flawless. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just the way to spend a SundaydinerDined on 9/3/2014Such a good way to spend a Sunday - eating a fantastic feast (buffet of amazing sushi and other delights, main courses (the chicken is outstanding) and then desserts) with a cocktail followed by unlimited wine!Special Features:
- very fresh and well presentedbjaojsaojDined on 6/3/2014was very impressed with the quality of food, also very relaxed atmosphere i will definitely be returningSpecial Features:
- Overall nice eveningDrISADined on 21/2/2014My husband and I went for our anniversary dinner on a Friday evening. Very professional and friendly staff. Nice cocktails. Our waitress was nice but perhaps could have explained menu better. Very tasty food but perhaps not the best Japanese if comparing to other contemporary high end restuarants ( we ordered sashimi, maki rolls, black cod, beef and chicken skewers). Our waitress forgot to bring out the last dish of chicken skewers which we actually did not mind as were quite full. She apologised profusely and a very nice manager also came and apologised. They gaveus free cocktails and dessert which was a much appreciated gesture. Meal for two cost around £100 ( no alcohol)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lousy serviceNassDined on 17/2/2014Service was terrible, have been before and it was not as bad as this time. The waiter kept blaming the chef. Its worst when you see a table next to you get the same item you have ordered arrive at their table before you receive it, even though you have ordered it a long time before them. For a restaurant to charge the prices as roka, service must be off a high standard. Unfortunately service sucks!!! The food was nicely presented, however the dumplings were burnt!Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchOatsVIPDined on 16/2/2014First time Sunday Brunch at Roka Canary Wharf and it's definitely worth a visit. Prices range from £42, £54 and £66. The £42 menu is ample. Good choice of starters and salads at the buffet, decent range of main dishes and there's ample amounts of wine. The waiter was excellent and constantly on hand with refills. Excellent service and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchKd1456Dined on 15/2/2014Really enjoyed he brunch, although it was very busySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roka is a great place to eat.PinkieDined on 12/2/2014Roka is a great place to eat. Food and cocktails are amazing!
- A delicious brunchPM95Dined on 26/1/2014This was a belated family celebration, we had a fantastic time. The food was delicious, the service attentive and the drinks flowed freely. Although not cheap, the Roka brunch is good value as you know there are no hidden extras once you have decided on your choice. We went for the £54 menu and especially enjoyed the main course giant tiger prawns (more like small lobsters) and the smoked duck. The unlimited starters were excellent; lovely sushi and sashimi and grilled meat and fish. Some people have commented on the noisiness of the venue, we didnt find this a problem, it contributed to the relaxed atmosphere. Will definitely be back for another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful BrunchCarlyDined on 25/1/2014Once again attending another ROKA Brunch, you can't get better than this! Great way to experience ROKA at a lower cost and with children! Really good service and the quality of the food is not compromised!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BrunchKFongDined on 25/1/2014A group of six of us went for brunch on a Saturday and the buffet selection for starter is amazing. There was also unlimited wine with the brunch menu and overall very good value for money and the food is delicious. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad service, not worth it! skip!JRC82Dined on 21/1/2014I was seated in the corner next to several tables of very loud American bankers. My waitress didn't speak English well enough to help me make the right food selections and didn't explain the menu to me at all. I chose 4 small plates, assuming it would be enough food, they were brought out all at once, I was not told what they were. My 4th plate, was forgotten and only after I finally caught the attention of my waitress, it was brought to me. I was not checked on, and could not get the attention of anyone for a long time. I often dine alone but never have I felt as alone as I did at this restaurant. The food was fine, nothing special, certainly not worth the bad service and annoying ambiance. Trying to be cool, ended up too cool for everyoneSpecial Features:
- Roka disgracesbaileyDined on 18/1/2014We've been going to Roka for a few years now and have always rated the food highly ,however Roka now entice diners at weekends with a special deal that involves drinking copious glasses of champagne. A great deal you might say ? Sadly not as the last couple of visits we have made to Roka have been marred by lewd drunken behaviour from groups of dinners who feel obliged to shout and swear at each other ,and on this occasion (18/01/14) we endured two adjoining tables competing in terms of volume ,both vocal and consumption wise . Sadly the staff do NOTHING about the problem asides from supplying further fizz to the problem tables. Sorry Roka but I have better ways of spending £200 for the whole experience to be ruined by drunken chavsSpecial Features: