81 King Street
Manchester, M2 4STNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.roomrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 01618392005
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday 12:00PM - 3:00PM Dinner: Monday - Wednesday 5:30PM - 10:00PM Thursday - Saturday 5:30PM - 11:00PM Bar: Monday - Wednesday 12:00pM - 11:00PM Thursday - Saturday 12:00PM - 2:00AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British, International
- Executive Chef: Pete Taylor
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our Private Dining Room is available for up to 40 guests. Dedicated events manager onsite will help you organise all your event requirements.
- Entertainment: DJ's Thur - Sat, Monthly Soul Evening, Monthly Wine Club
A word from Room Manchester
Room is a unique and modern restaurant and cocktail bar located on King Street in the centre of the commercial and shopping district of Manchester, just around the corner from the Royal Exchange Theatre. An eclectic mix of antique and retro makes this a stunning place to enjoy a dining experience offering cocktails until late, music and private dining. The 2 AA Rosette accredited, award winning restaurant can cater for up to 120 diners and the bar up to 80. Room is perfect for business lunch, a shopper's retreat or just to drop in for a cocktail or a coffee. At night, the restaurant comes alive with an evening brasserie atmosphere that you would expect within any cosmopolitan city and Manchester is no exception. 2 COURSES & WINE FOR LUNCH £12.75/DINNER £14.00 3 COURSES & WINE FOR LUNCH £16/DINNER £17.50 Room's All Inclusive menu is available Monday to Friday 12pm-3pm, 5.30pm-7.00pm. Brand new dishes and seasonal specials change weeklyContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasions
Room Manchester - Best restaurants in Manchester ›
Room Manchester reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since 25 May 2014
special occasions (44)romance (26)fit for foodies (25)group bookings (21)pre/post theatre (13)business meals (12)outstanding value (12)brunch (4)sunday lunch (3)good vegetarian options (3)afternoon tea (2)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- Room with a fewjakeyladDined on 30/8/2014We had a very enjoyable meal on Saturday night with friends at Room, the cocktail bar was very lively although we went straight in for dinner as we had had pre dinner drinks elsewhere, the staff were very friendly and our meals were very good with the exception of one steak which had too much gristle in it and for £25 I would expect the chef to have inspected them more closely. I have a big appetite and 4 chunky chips weren't enough for me but what I had was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding valueNonicknamesDined on 30/8/2014Had set 3 course lunch. Food was amazing, service excellent, outstanding value. Beautiful, interesting building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so special and not much room!CPWstrangeDined on 23/8/2014I booked this restaurant after having read some recent reviews and thought it would be perfect for my partners birthday. There was 6 of us and we were placed on a small round table where a long table of very loud children were sat behind us. The ambience would have been better with more space. It was very loud and we couldn't get a decent conversation across the table. I didn't think it was the right place for children below 12. The food was great no faults at all. The service wasn't the best. The waiter couldn't work out how to pay part cash and part card, and he didn't recommend anything I asked about on the menu including wines. I found him quite rude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placefoodie123Dined on 22/8/2014Been here a few times and loved it every time. The food quality and presentation is outstanding. They also have early dining offers which are exceptional value. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room at ManchesterDantheMan73Dined on 16/8/2014Not the nicest surrounding bit like a school hall. The food is good but small potions which I kind of expected. The starters are not value for money but the main course and desert are. There was a service charge too which is a shame as I prefer to tip on service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnjuVIPDined on 1/8/2014having been to Room a few years ago I was keen to try it again. My starter of French Onion Soup was rather strange and the memorable gruyere cheese topping was baked into a lifeless dumpling. The broth was flavourful but I had hoped for a more traditional soup instead of a fine dining version. My main course of pork was tasty with a beautiful subtle star anise gravy. Dessert was nothing to write home about. The hostess was particularly helpful (Holly I think her name was) but the waiters serving our table certainly needed more training, having served us the wrong meals more than once. All in all I still had an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- A Lancashire delightCheerychopsDined on 26/7/2014If you want a menu that has variety and is created with originality, this is the place for you. Fantastic food that was inspired by Lancashire favourites. Good sized portions and well designed on the plate. Our party included a 21 year old and an 80 year old - and we all found what we wanted. fantastic dining room - modern layout in a heritage building. Excellent service. My only issue was the added on service charge - a bit cheeky. Ironically we would have tipped more if given the choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food even greater servicePfskypfskyDined on 5/7/2014From walking up the grand staircase of this old ex 19th century Gentlemens club to sitting in the bar with our cocktails we knew we had found a gem. The restaurant itself is in the main old hall/dining room with 2 huge stone fireplaces and 3 massive red lamp shades. We had a romantic table for two by the window and the service from a young, bright and attentive waitress who knew her stuff was superb. The food? The starters were fantastic, mains to die for and sweets incredibly inventive. All at reasonable prices. Go there - it's a hidden gem and when you sit down you will enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday/Girls Lunch!MatahariDined on 28/6/2014Booked online for a friend's birthday with the request of glasses of Prosecco to be waiting on the table for our arrival, and Room more than delivered! Our waiter was super friendly and attentive, food came at perfect timings as in we weren't waiting too long or felt rushed. To finish off with birthday cheesecake for the birthday girl was incredibly generous and unexpected which made the occasion meal much more special. We were really looked after, not to mention the food we had for lunch was delicious. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants a quick bite, full blown meal or just even for the amazing cocktails!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CLASSY DININGTeddopDined on 30/5/2014A fabulous interior and feel to this restaurant all add to an excellent dining experience. The food, wine and service were all first class. Would definitely make a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nearly PerfectcfoodieDined on 24/5/2014Food presentation excellent and quirky choice of foods. Fillet as good as it gets in UK but slightly expensive for portion size. Atmosphere spoiled a little by noisy bar element at the friend. Overal nearly perfect and worn as visit for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Food not as good as surroundingsBinkyDined on 24/5/2014The restaurant is a beautiful setting, the service is good but unfortunately the food is poor. We had cheese straws and bread to share - the cheese straws were nice and light but the bread was nothing special - more like a part baked roll sliced thinly. My wife ordered a rump steak which had a big line of sinew/gristle in it so only bits of it were edible. We mentioned it to our waitress and she 'had a word with the chef'. In fairness they did offer a replacement but we needed to leave. She said she would reduce the bill to reflect but when the bill came, she had only knocked off the (presumably optional) service - not a reduction as there was no service issue. We didn't make a fuss, paid the service charge and will simply not return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 23/5/2014Great food, really well presented, nice staff & reasonably priced for what u get!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experience!SaffyDined on 23/5/2014Great food, very attentive staff, amazing cocktails and at £4.95 each during happy hour who can complain. The set meal option is SUCH good value for money, felt like a total treat without costing an arm and a leg. Great for before a night out dining :) I've already recommended to all my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some work to be doneJONFDined on 10/5/2014Overall a good place to eat. The food and ambience of the place was very good and well worth a visit. Unfortunately there is some work to be done with the service. The service wasn't poor by any means but the reception and service was luke warm. This for me needs to be the area to improve. The "greeter" was short of rude leaving us to stand next to her for a number of minutes without acknowledgement, if even she was busy a quick acknowledgement to say she'll be with us in a minute was all that was needed. Service was a little slow at times and seemed laboured.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantBusinessDinersDined on 2/5/2014Good first impression with free cloakroom facility. Entrance area could perhaps be spruced up to match the upstairs experience. Cosy bar with terrific cocktails got the night off to a good start. Unusual themed menu was a highlight and the food did not disappoint. Finished off with dessert cocktails. Good service, great dining ambience. Delighted with our first visit to Room. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/4/2014We came for our anniversary meal and the staff was just amazing and so acommodating! I love the wine selection! The food was even better. Thanks for making our anniversary even more special! ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value for moneyRJ39Dined on 10/4/2014We ate at room for dinner using the set menu option. There was a good selection of options & the food was good and service very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best restaurant in Manchester.JamieFromNorwichDined on 7/4/20142nd visit and would keep going back for more. Excellent food, attentive servce and great ambiance. Just wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good British RestaurantcyberdoctorDined on 4/4/2014Lovely meal for two. Slightly quirky menu, but well delivered. The food presentation is imaginative but lacks the level of theatre that the opulent surroundings raise the expectation of. Really helpful staff and service. Very good overallSpecial Features:
- Enjoyable but expensiveSparkyDined on 29/3/2014Whilst I cannot fault the standard of food received, I was disappointed however with the portion size especially in relation to the price paid; the main courses in particular were on the pricey side (£18+). I purchased the 'bang bang chicken' which was tasty but had tiny portions. I would recommend purchasing a side with this dish. One other recommendation would be to turn up the lighting because it was incredibly dark in the restaurant area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedPattyannDined on 29/3/2014After having eaten at Room previously and thoroughly enjoyed it I decided to order fillet steak given the quality of the food I experienced last time. I had French onion soup to start which was delicious and served beautifully so I was looking forward to my fillet. The vegetables were delicious but the steak however was not good quality. It was chewy and very disappointing. I do not like to complain but I thought that the restaurant should know and would've said if I'd been asked how it was.
- Lighting!ItabtDined on 22/3/2014Overall, the experience was excellent. We had reasonably-priced cocktails in the bar area then a fantastic meal in the restaurant. My whole group's complaint, however, is the lighting - it's so dark! We had to ask for extra candles in order to see the menu!! Other than that, I would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Dined on Saturday evening.Justing2Dined on 15/3/2014Dined on Saturday evening. Not sure if Room wants to be a restaurant or night club. We were unable to read the menus due to lack of lighting. Food was fine, not exceptional, but ruined by the fact we couldn't see it. This is no exaggeration and needs to be sorted out.
- Brilliant!!JackCDined on 14/2/2014Went there for our anniversary, and was treated like royalty. The service as we cane in the door, at the bar and throughout the night at our table was fantastic. The food was if the best I and my partner have ever had and the value for money was outstanding. Would strongly recomend and will be visiting room again for sure!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent quality of food.. GreatKasiaDined on 25/1/2014Excellent quality of food.. Great value as it was 50% off but on some courses I would pay the full price. The setting is pretty amazing. Staff very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedLeapymanDined on 3/1/2014Booked online for 3rd Jan. Booked the 2 courses for £12 deal menu - wanted to try out at low cost and menu looked good. Had to book before 7 for the deal so it was a rush to get poshed up. Then got soaked in the Manchester rain but, still spurred on by the thoughts of good food & a cocktail or two. But, told the deal not available and despite printed evidence of the booking details we were dismissed with a feeble apology and disbelief that the deal was still on the website. 50% off deal was available but, more expensive & menu not as good. Felt trapped and without any real effort or care for new customers we decided to leave. Left a bad taste and spoilt our night out in Manchester.
- We were looking forward toShellDined on 23/12/2013We were looking forward to our meal and had read good reviews however, it did not meet our expectations. Although our server was good there was a lack of cohesion between the food and drink . The restaurant was not even have full but our drinks took a long time to come both before and after our meal. We also did not feel that the quality of the food matched the price point. We were then unhappy at having a service charge included in our bill.
- Great ServicePaulusDined on 14/12/2013The food and quality of service was excellent even though we were a table of two in amongst large Xmas partiesSpecial Features:
- Really goods atmosphere withQuidniDined on 14/12/2013Really goods atmosphere with excellent service. All this during one of the busiest times of the year, xmas. Good food the steak was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Website menu offers inaccurateDinerdinerDined on 7/12/2013I had hoped for a 3 course lunch fine dining experience and wanted to try Abode although their website clearly showed that their promotional menu was no available in December so we booked a 3 course luch menu with the Room. No Christmas restrictions were advised. Upon arrival at restaurant we were only given a choice of Christmas menu or a la carte as they stated 3 course lunch menu had been replaced. I expressed my annoyance and I had made my booking to have the 3 course menu as clearly shown on website, staff informed this had now been removed. I checked the website and it still showed offer which we had booked and no mention was made of Christmas menu or excluded dates. This left us no choice bu the a la carte menu. Disappointing!Special Features:
- We had a meal an sat30 NovbickyDined on 30/11/2013We had a meal an sat30 Nov ,there were 5 of us we had the best table in the place,the cocktails were fantastic and the service was very very good the whole evening was brilliant would recommend it to any oneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoudMerryfoodieDined on 30/11/2013We booked room for a romantic meal. Unfortunately we arrived into what appeared like a nightclub, we had to push through groups of people to try and get to the bar to let someone know we needed to be seated....nightmare over the weekends evidently. I can't fault the food as it was lovely but having to shout over the loud music and people enjoying a night out kind of killed the ambiance for us.Special Features:
- Room with a view.Mj83Dined on 30/11/2013Very impressed with the decor and the surroundings in Room as this was my first visit. We had a choice of 3 menus but settled on the very reasonably priced lunch set menu. The entire menu was full of choice with something for everyone. The only gripe i have is that we ordered drinks and it was a good 15-20 minutes later until we got them. All in all a pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 40th Birthday celebrationlaver1Dined on 29/11/2013A group of us went out for a meal at Room. The food was absolutely delicious and the service was great too. I would recommend anyone to eat here and I will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch Time TreatJ1968Dined on 28/11/2013visited Room before a Spa in Manchester, very nice food and the whole experience was made even better by genuine friendly staff who couldnt assist enough without being false. Would definately visit again next time in ManchesterSpecial Features:
- JoyousCallaghan17Dined on 23/11/2013It was good, a little dark to read the menu, the waitress was very nice but did make me feel a little stupid, the food was the best food that I've ever eaten, and the ambience was really enjoyable.Special Features:
- Very enjoyableParkyDined on 23/11/2013We had a very nice evening meal at Room. Seated bang on time at 17:30 (when the restaurant opened) and the order was taken quickly. Our food came out on time, correctly and very tasty it was too. We did have to remind them that we had ordered a bottle of wine, which was very late arriving. When we got the bill the wine was missing, so we told them and they added it on the bill. Maybe they took the wine off due to it being late to arrive? Oh well better to be honest, don't want people to get in to trouble.Special Features:
- Slow serviceJohnkelDined on 23/11/2013Excellent food and dining room, but from been showed to our table we waited 28 minutes before a waiter took our order and then another 20 minutes passed before I asked a waiter for our drinks which then came after a couple of minutes. Our starter arrived long before the drinks did.
- Not enough staff. Food isDoatDined on 23/11/2013Not enough staff. Food is okay but it is nothing special.