81 King Street
Manchester, M2 4STNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.roomrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 0161 839 2005
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday 12:00PM - 3:00PM Dinner: Monday - Wednesday 5:30PM - 10:00PM Thursday - Saturday 5:30PM - 11:00PM Bar: Monday - Wednesday 12:00pM - 11:00PM Thursday - Saturday 12:00PM - 2:00AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British, International
- Executive Chef: Pete Taylor
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our Private Dining Room is available for up to 40 guests. Dedicated events manager onsite will help you organise all your event requirements.
- Entertainment: DJ's Thur - Sat, Monthly Soul Evening, Monthly Wine Club
A word from Room Manchester
Room is a unique and modern restaurant and cocktail bar located on King Street in the centre of the commercial and shopping district of Manchester, just around the corner from the Royal Exchange Theatre. An eclectic mix of antique and retro makes this a stunning place to enjoy a dining experience offering cocktails until late, music and private dining. The 2 AA Rosette accredited, award winning restaurant can cater for up to 120 diners and the bar up to 80. Room is perfect for business lunch, a shopper's retreat or just to drop in for a cocktail or a coffee. At night, the restaurant comes alive with an evening brasserie atmosphere that you would expect within any cosmopolitan city and Manchester is no exception. 2 COURSES & WINE FOR LUNCH £12.75/DINNER £14.00 3 COURSES & WINE FOR LUNCH £16/DINNER £17.50 Room's All Inclusive menu is available Monday to Friday 12pm-3pm, 5.30pm-7.00pm. Brand new dishes and seasonal specials change weeklyContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBritish
Room Manchester - Best restaurants in Manchester ›
Room Manchester reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since 24 November 2013
special occasions (42)romance (31)group bookings (24)fit for foodies (24)business meals (16)pre/post theatre (15)outstanding value (13)brunch (5)good vegetarian options (3)sunday lunch (3)afternoon tea (2)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/11/2014We had a wonderful two-year wedding anniversary at Room although it was a little empty on a Wednesday, which unfortunately the amazing ambience (because it's so big) underlined. None the less the food was absolutely amazing and the waiters very friendly and down to earth. The drinks (even the mocktails) were also delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service food OKMarteater99Dined on 15/11/2014Food was OK but not great, service very good, as for the portion size they are very small and not good value for money so if you are hungry or a big eater this is not the place for you.Special Features:
- What a room!MoorVetDined on 15/11/2014What a fantastic old building full of ambience and candles! We went for a romantic dinner and were not disappointed. The service was friendly and unfussy, the menu interesting and the presentation beautiful. I look forward to returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic venue lacking atmosphereClh42Dined on 7/11/2014Great venue, good food and good service but sadly lacking in atmosphere. Chose this for a meal to celebrate a friend's 30th and wanted somewhere with an excuse to wheel out a posh frock and heels. Venue certainly didn't disappoint, beautiful building sympathetically converted. Food was good though very small portions.Service was good but considering the reataurant was only half full could be described as a bit slow. No offer of refreshed drinks when our bottle of wine was empty and found myself having to ask for a desert menu. Previous reviews had used the term 'loud and lively' but my experience was much more sedate. Might have been an off night - Christmas lights switch on and just before the office party season kicks in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic1manchesterDined on 18/10/2014This place is fantastic and the food is wonderful. Finished had to choose a point to mention it would be that it can be very noisy but that can't be helped We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KasiaDined on 18/10/2014I have been there a few times now for both just drinks and good and have never been disappointed. The food is really good and they have a very good offers on every day on food and drinks. The staff are very polite and friendly and you are well looked after.Special Features:
- Another lovely lunch hereBillDined on 15/10/2014Its a while since I was in Manchester centre for lunch and Room is always a good bet. 2 courses for £10...you cant say fairer than that, and it is really quite good for the price. Atmpsphere during the week is great for business lunches as its not too busy. Recommended.Special Features:
- Would go for a special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/9/2014We arrived 20 minutes early thinking we could have a drink at the bar before sitting down, but that's how long it took to get served as the bar tenders were too busy flirting with groups of women. So we got our drinks and had to immediately go to our table. The place isn't huge so the atmosphere is great, it's not too quiet that you can hear the next table over but isn't too loud that you can't hear your date talk. After looking around there seemed to be apt of dates, with only 1 table I saw that had a group of women. The food was delicious, a bit pricey so that's why I've suggested it's a special occasion restaurant not an average night. Including drinks it cos 2 of us around £90, £55 for a 2 course meal each.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingKIGCCDined on 22/9/2014We were sat on table by the window , was then told that it was reserved after they sat us there. Staff was slow. Food came out almost an hour after we ordered and was truly average, was trying to be something it's not. One of us ordered a rear medium beef burger and was advised and then kind of forced to order it medium. We were thinking to order some starters asked the waiter and told us not to bother ordering what we wanted as it wasn't great. We ended up ordering some olives with our drinks as a starter. That came after the hour with the rest of the food. Overall experience was uncomfortable. The only good thing about it was the actual building and interiors.
- Whigs reformedHighgatedinerDined on 20/9/2014The grand dining room of the former Reform Club in Manchester makes a lively restaurant, although one where little debating can take place over the pounding beat provided by the live DJ at the entrance of the room. Food is quirky but good - "Manchester egg" of a perfectly cooked quail's egg wrapped in black pudding and the "pressed rabbit" and ham terrine were both very good. Mains of fish and chips and a rather dry sesame beef salad were fine. The hard surfaces of the room mean you have to shout to make yourselves heard above the music, but the atmosphere on a Saturday night was very lively.Special Features:
- Dinner reviewXraamonaX1988Dined on 19/9/2014Dramatic setting with tonnes of character. Informal service with casual approach from waiters/waitresses is a mismatch to the setting. Very off putting music from loud club DJ. Excellent menu with a mix of traditional brittish cuisine and flavours from around the world. Beautiful presentation and food food full of flavour. The ambiance, unfortunately ruined the food. Would not go back.Special Features:
- Nice Nice!IlovefoodDined on 18/9/2014Went to Room mid week, the decor is amazing - the staff are really friendly and could help enough, The bar man is great- he knows his wines! Food was lovely, classic meal with a contemporary twist. Would defiantly go back again!Special Features:
- Lovely LunchSharonSevilleDined on 16/9/2014Party of six. Had the set lunch menu as we were on the clock (back to work) and it was very pleasant indeed. We ended up having a cocktail each which really bumped up the bill but I must admit, they were very nice indeed (if a little on the pricey side) All in all, it was a celebration of a team members promotion and a lovely afternoon.Special Features:
- Room with a fewjakeyladDined on 30/8/2014We had a very enjoyable meal on Saturday night with friends at Room, the cocktail bar was very lively although we went straight in for dinner as we had had pre dinner drinks elsewhere, the staff were very friendly and our meals were very good with the exception of one steak which had too much gristle in it and for £25 I would expect the chef to have inspected them more closely. I have a big appetite and 4 chunky chips weren't enough for me but what I had was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding valueNonicknamesDined on 30/8/2014Had set 3 course lunch. Food was amazing, service excellent, outstanding value. Beautiful, interesting building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so special and not much room!CPWstrangeDined on 23/8/2014I booked this restaurant after having read some recent reviews and thought it would be perfect for my partners birthday. There was 6 of us and we were placed on a small round table where a long table of very loud children were sat behind us. The ambience would have been better with more space. It was very loud and we couldn't get a decent conversation across the table. I didn't think it was the right place for children below 12. The food was great no faults at all. The service wasn't the best. The waiter couldn't work out how to pay part cash and part card, and he didn't recommend anything I asked about on the menu including wines. I found him quite rude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placefoodie123Dined on 22/8/2014Been here a few times and loved it every time. The food quality and presentation is outstanding. They also have early dining offers which are exceptional value. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ok but had bettersusanDined on 21/8/2014I have dined at Room previously so was expecting good things but was a little disappointed on this visit. I ordered the French onion soup to start with and my husband ordered the black pudding starter,his was absolutely devine but although my starter looked impressive it was very bland. Main was good..Service could have been better as on a few occasions I needed to try to catch the waitresses eye for attention and at no time throughout the meal did anyone come over to ask if everything was ok.I ordered coffees at the end but unfortunately these arrived luke warm so after my husband went and actually told her as we couldn't attract her attention she very apologetically exchanged them but again they weren't hot enough.Special Features:
- Room at ManchesterDantheMan73Dined on 16/8/2014Not the nicest surrounding bit like a school hall. The food is good but small potions which I kind of expected. The starters are not value for money but the main course and desert are. There was a service charge too which is a shame as I prefer to tip on service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnjuVIPDined on 1/8/2014having been to Room a few years ago I was keen to try it again. My starter of French Onion Soup was rather strange and the memorable gruyere cheese topping was baked into a lifeless dumpling. The broth was flavourful but I had hoped for a more traditional soup instead of a fine dining version. My main course of pork was tasty with a beautiful subtle star anise gravy. Dessert was nothing to write home about. The hostess was particularly helpful (Holly I think her name was) but the waiters serving our table certainly needed more training, having served us the wrong meals more than once. All in all I still had an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- A Lancashire delightCheerychopsDined on 26/7/2014If you want a menu that has variety and is created with originality, this is the place for you. Fantastic food that was inspired by Lancashire favourites. Good sized portions and well designed on the plate. Our party included a 21 year old and an 80 year old - and we all found what we wanted. fantastic dining room - modern layout in a heritage building. Excellent service. My only issue was the added on service charge - a bit cheeky. Ironically we would have tipped more if given the choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food even greater servicePfskypfskyDined on 5/7/2014From walking up the grand staircase of this old ex 19th century Gentlemens club to sitting in the bar with our cocktails we knew we had found a gem. The restaurant itself is in the main old hall/dining room with 2 huge stone fireplaces and 3 massive red lamp shades. We had a romantic table for two by the window and the service from a young, bright and attentive waitress who knew her stuff was superb. The food? The starters were fantastic, mains to die for and sweets incredibly inventive. All at reasonable prices. Go there - it's a hidden gem and when you sit down you will enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday/Girls Lunch!MatahariDined on 28/6/2014Booked online for a friend's birthday with the request of glasses of Prosecco to be waiting on the table for our arrival, and Room more than delivered! Our waiter was super friendly and attentive, food came at perfect timings as in we weren't waiting too long or felt rushed. To finish off with birthday cheesecake for the birthday girl was incredibly generous and unexpected which made the occasion meal much more special. We were really looked after, not to mention the food we had for lunch was delicious. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants a quick bite, full blown meal or just even for the amazing cocktails!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CLASSY DININGTeddopDined on 30/5/2014A fabulous interior and feel to this restaurant all add to an excellent dining experience. The food, wine and service were all first class. Would definitely make a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nearly PerfectcfoodieDined on 24/5/2014Food presentation excellent and quirky choice of foods. Fillet as good as it gets in UK but slightly expensive for portion size. Atmosphere spoiled a little by noisy bar element at the friend. Overal nearly perfect and worn as visit for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Food not as good as surroundingsBinkyDined on 24/5/2014The restaurant is a beautiful setting, the service is good but unfortunately the food is poor. We had cheese straws and bread to share - the cheese straws were nice and light but the bread was nothing special - more like a part baked roll sliced thinly. My wife ordered a rump steak which had a big line of sinew/gristle in it so only bits of it were edible. We mentioned it to our waitress and she 'had a word with the chef'. In fairness they did offer a replacement but we needed to leave. She said she would reduce the bill to reflect but when the bill came, she had only knocked off the (presumably optional) service - not a reduction as there was no service issue. We didn't make a fuss, paid the service charge and will simply not return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 23/5/2014Great food, really well presented, nice staff & reasonably priced for what u get!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experience!SaffyDined on 23/5/2014Great food, very attentive staff, amazing cocktails and at £4.95 each during happy hour who can complain. The set meal option is SUCH good value for money, felt like a total treat without costing an arm and a leg. Great for before a night out dining :) I've already recommended to all my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some work to be doneJONFDined on 10/5/2014Overall a good place to eat. The food and ambience of the place was very good and well worth a visit. Unfortunately there is some work to be done with the service. The service wasn't poor by any means but the reception and service was luke warm. This for me needs to be the area to improve. The "greeter" was short of rude leaving us to stand next to her for a number of minutes without acknowledgement, if even she was busy a quick acknowledgement to say she'll be with us in a minute was all that was needed. Service was a little slow at times and seemed laboured.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantBusinessDinersDined on 2/5/2014Good first impression with free cloakroom facility. Entrance area could perhaps be spruced up to match the upstairs experience. Cosy bar with terrific cocktails got the night off to a good start. Unusual themed menu was a highlight and the food did not disappoint. Finished off with dessert cocktails. Good service, great dining ambience. Delighted with our first visit to Room. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/4/2014We came for our anniversary meal and the staff was just amazing and so acommodating! I love the wine selection! The food was even better. Thanks for making our anniversary even more special! ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value for moneyRJ39Dined on 10/4/2014We ate at room for dinner using the set menu option. There was a good selection of options & the food was good and service very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best restaurant in Manchester.JamieFromNorwichDined on 7/4/20142nd visit and would keep going back for more. Excellent food, attentive servce and great ambiance. Just wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good British RestaurantcyberdoctorDined on 4/4/2014Lovely meal for two. Slightly quirky menu, but well delivered. The food presentation is imaginative but lacks the level of theatre that the opulent surroundings raise the expectation of. Really helpful staff and service. Very good overallSpecial Features:
- Enjoyable but expensiveSparkyDined on 29/3/2014Whilst I cannot fault the standard of food received, I was disappointed however with the portion size especially in relation to the price paid; the main courses in particular were on the pricey side (£18+). I purchased the 'bang bang chicken' which was tasty but had tiny portions. I would recommend purchasing a side with this dish. One other recommendation would be to turn up the lighting because it was incredibly dark in the restaurant area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedPattyannDined on 29/3/2014After having eaten at Room previously and thoroughly enjoyed it I decided to order fillet steak given the quality of the food I experienced last time. I had French onion soup to start which was delicious and served beautifully so I was looking forward to my fillet. The vegetables were delicious but the steak however was not good quality. It was chewy and very disappointing. I do not like to complain but I thought that the restaurant should know and would've said if I'd been asked how it was.
- Lighting!ItabtDined on 22/3/2014Overall, the experience was excellent. We had reasonably-priced cocktails in the bar area then a fantastic meal in the restaurant. My whole group's complaint, however, is the lighting - it's so dark! We had to ask for extra candles in order to see the menu!! Other than that, I would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Dined on Saturday evening.Justing2Dined on 15/3/2014Dined on Saturday evening. Not sure if Room wants to be a restaurant or night club. We were unable to read the menus due to lack of lighting. Food was fine, not exceptional, but ruined by the fact we couldn't see it. This is no exaggeration and needs to be sorted out.
- Brilliant!!JackCDined on 14/2/2014Went there for our anniversary, and was treated like royalty. The service as we cane in the door, at the bar and throughout the night at our table was fantastic. The food was if the best I and my partner have ever had and the value for money was outstanding. Would strongly recomend and will be visiting room again for sure!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent quality of food.. GreatKasiaDined on 25/1/2014Excellent quality of food.. Great value as it was 50% off but on some courses I would pay the full price. The setting is pretty amazing. Staff very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.