London, WC2H 7BPNeighbourhood:
ContinentalPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rubybluebar.co.uk/
- Phone: 020 7287 8050
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Mon - Wed 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Thurs - Sat 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Ross Williams
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Pianist on Saturday nights.
A word from Ruby Blue
Situated in the heart of the West End and Theatreland Ruby Blue offers diners high quality food alongside excellent customer service, providing a menu that is as diverse as it is tasty- with menus starting from only £10.95; a very reasonable price for the centre of London, Ruby Blue is well worth a visit.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ruby Blue reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since 24 November 2013
group bookings (4)outstanding value (4)pre/post theatre (4)romance (2)special occasions (2)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- Good for private bookings'Asha10Dined on 15/8/2014We had a private room which was great. Food was ok however a couple of dishes had to go back it didn't turn up. Service was good ! The guy who seemed like the manager was great and made up for ok food and wrong orders!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine NightDine2nightDined on 14/2/2014A very nice evening, atmosphere was lovely with the singer on the piano in the back ground. Services was a little slow but it was busy. The food was great & it was great value for money. Also the staff were very bubbley & helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service and style, bad foodIngridoLonDined on 14/2/2014Ruby Blue Bar has a nice style and decent atmosphere, and it is right on Leicester Square, which makes it very convenient for tourists and others going to the theatre. Our waiter was funny, nice, personable and attentive, this was very much appreciated. It is always so much more enjoyable to eat out when the staff is nice. Unfortunately the food was pretty bland and mediocre, I had a completely tasteless vegetable fajitas (and I know what a good one tastes like), so I wouldn't go here for a nice food experience. However, prices were pretty decent, and we got the toptable discount :D Plus we didn't really expect to get a great meal at a cheap place on Leicester Square ;)Special Features:
- Excellent pre theatreSheelDined on 1/2/2014Situated in the centre of London at Leicester Square, Ruby Blue is very convenient for Theatreland and well priced with a good range of food and a lovely atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Potential, Disappointing FoodTaranLamarDined on 30/11/2013Myself and Best Mate took our girlfriends here on a bit of a double date before a comedy show. Menu looked great and location promised that everything else would be spot on - We had attentive service (I think his name was 'something' Cooke'). Polite, Keen to recommend, Sense of humour etc. But to be honest we were embarrassed when the food didn't match up to the hype in any shape or form. The sharing platter was plain tasting and lacked any flavour throughout - fajitas weren't sizzling in their skillet, hot dog and bun were a bit cheap tasting... my friends seemed to find their burgers okay but nothing special. Just a bit of a flat start even though everything else is great - decor, service, price. - Maybe a fluke?Special Features:
- Decent food and good valueNILondonDined on 29/11/2013Went here with a group of friends to eat and drink. Happy hour and 50% off all food is a great offer. The food quality is above average for a bar. I ordered the salmon which was cooked nicely. The calamari was okay and the chocolate brownie for dessert was a generous portion. I had a 3 course meal and ample to drink for just over £20 which you cant really beat or complain about. I don't think I would pay full price for the food here but I definitely recommend you to take advantage of the 50% off food. Waitress and service were spot on. The atmosphere is chilled and good for big groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant is lookingjp72Dined on 26/11/2013The restaurant is looking somewhat dated and drab. The ambience was spoiled by the restaurant being freezing too. The menu was limited and some items on such a concise menu were unavailable.
- The following 2152 reviews are from the Ruby Blue reviews archive.
- Excellent food but shocking serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 22/11/2013Worst service i have ever had in my whole life. And definitely dont come here if you need dinner in a hurry. I booked a table for 8pm to have dinner before a show at 11pm - we had one course, and we only just left in time. However the food is exceptionally good considering the price, if you have the 50% off deal then a lovely piece of steak with chips etc is around £7.50.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent value and great servicejaneybDined on 18/11/2013an early pre theatre meal with a 50% off food offer. Very helpful waitress and service and although place was empty it felt relaxed and welcoming. The food was very good -would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great Location!louloubatchDined on 16/11/2013We ate at Ruby Blue based on the good reviews I had seen - and we were not disappointed. The food was great (the 50% off food made it even better) and the location was perfect. My only niggle would be that the food came very quickly after ordering, even before we had got any drinks! Therefore our time there felt a bit rushed at the beginning of the meal. The waitress did apologies for this and the service was great! Will be eating there on our next visit to London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a big catch-upJoannaVVIPDined on 15/11/2013The food here isn't great, the wine here isn't great, and the service here isn't great. However, with 50% off food and a happy hour that gives you bottles of wine for half price, one mustn't expect gastronomic delights. Rather, it's the perfect place for a catch-up with the girls that won't break the bank. We had shared starters, a main, 3 bottles of wine and the odd glass of wine too, and it only came to £25, so it's great value in a place that is so central anyone can get there easily.Special Features:
- Not as advertisedenjoyfood999Dined on 18/10/2013We went with my parents for an early dinner attracted by the location, variety on the menu, description of pianist with the meal and half price food offer. The food was indeed good value particularly including a happy hour discount too, although one burger had to be returned as it was cold! Otherwise, no pianist just extremely loud piped musac that made conversation very hard, no record of the top table reservation although they did find us a table, and a new menu with far fewer options. Overall not a great mealSpecial Features:
- No ServiceSC37Dined on 17/10/2013When we arrived for our booking at 7pm our table was not ready and we were asked if we would mind having a drink in the bar. 20 minutes later we saw the person in charge of seating guests and got his attention, we were told 2 seconds. Having finished our drinks we went back to the restaurant to be seated. We spent another 10 minutes trying to get someone's attention but being ignored. Finally we heard a diner complaining that having been seated at 5:30 they had only received their food at 7:10. At this point we gave up and walked out. Good luck if you choose to eat here!
- DecentOliverDined on 12/10/2013Reasonable food and value. Charismatic staff but average experience.Special Features:
- Overall great evening outSanjDined on 12/10/2013Ruby Blue - not only is the restaurant located in a very central location, but provides a live pianist, great food and quality service. An overall experience worth recommending especially with the half price food offer, an array of cocktails/drinks as well as a bar to move to thereafter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food.great value.crazy staff!1234VIPDined on 3/10/2013Great value with the 50% off food. They also gave us 40% of wine and a discount off cocktails. The food was delicious and I would definitely recommend the lamb rump. They had run out of a couple of things on the menu and the staff were a bit strange but if you can ignore that then great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highlight of my dayHantyDined on 28/9/2013We visited Ruby Blue for a pre-theatre dinner. The resturant is beautiful, the staff were friendly and attentive, the service was fast and the food was wonderful - the Oreo Sunday was the highlight of my day. We took advantage of the 50% discount, but the restaurant offers good value for money even without this. The only downside is finding it! The maps aren't particularly useful, they should say take the turning opposite Haagen Dazs on Leicester Square. I know where I'll be eating next time I head to the West End.Special Features:
- Ruby Blue is well locatedt4476Dined on 24/9/2013Ruby Blue is well located with a nice ambience however the food is a bit of a let down. As well as the poor quality the portions are small. I would recomend going to Ruby Blue for a drink but not a meal.
- FantasticMyoungeDined on 20/9/2013My friend and I had a fantastic time at Ruby Blue. It was our first time and can't praise them enough. The service was excellent, the food was excellent, the singer was amazing. It was such a shame we had to rush. The 50% off, I must admit made all even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemVennieDined on 23/8/2013I had no idea this place was there and have to admit i chose it from a nice photo and an appealing menu. Overall, I was not disappointed on any level... Easy to find, great staff, clean and trendy look, great portions, tasty food, happy hour!!!, which resulted in fabulous value. I'll definitely be revisiting and I'd recommend it too... With bells onSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyfoodisgoodDined on 20/8/2013Had a quick bite before a film. Great value with the 50% deal, fish was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great eveningannelgeminiDined on 17/8/2013Booked the 50% off food offer and it was excellent value for money and everyone was pleased with the food. Lots of hen parties on a Saturday but if anything that created a good atmosphere. There was also a guy playing the piano and singing and that created a good atmosphere as wellSpecial Features:
- Ruby Blue rocks!DannyP22Dined on 8/8/2013We had a great time at Ruby Blue, tasty food, generous portions and lively atmosphere. Definately recommend the apple pie for dessert. Great value with toptable offer.Special Features:
- Disappointed by the serviceSgoeseatingDined on 7/8/2013The food was good and settings pleasant. Unfortunately, the day we went a problem apparently occurred at the kitchen and the service was extremely long. It might have been a one off problem. However the great disappointment came from the staff not telling us what was going on. We had to watch the time as we had another commitment afterwards. In the end we had to rush through our main (a lobster!) ,cancel the desert, and leave in a panic. Also many wines were not available from the list and this was not served cold as expected. If staff had been truthful and accommodating, we would have tried again the place. I would not readily recommend to friends.Special Features:
- Dreadful !NettlesDined on 5/8/2013We arrived at 5.30 p.m. for pre-theatre dinner to give ourselves plenty of time ! We left at 7.05 p.m. having not even been served our main course ! One waitress serving the whole restaurant - and bless her she did her best but was an impossible task ! We had starters which were average .. requested bread but they had run out - then the wait ... we had to leave hungry and very annoyed - not the best way to start an evening. All in all a bad experience and not one I will repeat which is a shame as I have been there before and it was great. Complained via their website and as yet still have not received a response .. not great customer care or perhaps they don't care :(
- good service and quality of foodjaynejayfosDined on 29/3/2013we had a reservation for 6:00pm last Friday but due to traffic did not arrive until 6:30pm. We had tickets for show which started at 7:30pm so were very limited for time. Staff were excellent and we managed to have a two course meal plus a bottle of wine all within 45 minutes. We had the pre theatre menu which offered a good choice and the food was of a good quality. We were also very impressed with the cost which including wine worked out at £11 per person. Overall a very good experience.Special Features:
- Overall good nightCarls21Dined on 4/3/2013Food was good value and freat with the top table discount. Cant comment on the atmosphere as it was a Monday night so quite quiet. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good valueeat2012Dined on 1/3/2013Excellent service, food and drink selection. We ordered the lobster burgers and although tasty were a little disappointed with potion size.With 50% off, the meal was value for money.Special Features:
- FabLadies2londonDined on 23/2/2013Fantastic place to eat . Menu is great would recommend it to any one .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too dark, too loud..MangoVIPDined on 22/2/2013It was good that they had the 50% offer. The food was good as the mains were quite large portions. However, they said they ran out of lobsters that night so we were unable to order lobster dishes so that was not great at all as i wanted to try and compare theirs to the burger and lobster. The ambience were lively but i think the music were far too loud that i couldnt actually have a conversation with my friend at all, it was also too dark in there that we were unable to take any good quality pictures and attention is on you if you take pictures with flash on. I guess the staff were friendly but there were only 3 of them and the restaurant was quite busy and we had to wait at least 20 minutes to order drinks and another 20 to order food
- Lovely decor and ambiencepoppy895Dined on 21/2/2013Very nice venue, restaurant was quiet (Thursday night) so good service Slightly disappointed with the beef steak salad (meat was not as tender as I'd hoped) but desert was delicious (banana and toffee waffle YUM!!). Overall great value for money with 50% off food; happy hour until 8pm so we enjoyed half price on a delicious and generous (in rum) mojito at the bar prior meal and on the bottle of wine during dinner. Great to finish the evening at the bar drinking more mojitos and dancing the night away as the bar turned into a mini club with DJ playing great tunes. They also have a very lovely balcony overlooking Leicester Square (perfect for smokers too). I would definitely recommend and go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LivelypretheatreDined on 16/2/2013Very lively atmosphere, there awere at least 5 hen parties who came through during our meal, generally a young crowd I think many pepole dined there in order toget free entry into the club.. Our Waitress could not have been more helpful, a few mistakes were made but they cleared them up quicky and without fuss. Good attention given to my gluten-free friend. Food was good and good value since we had an offer. We were not rushed despite them being busy. Would go back again for a good meal although not for a special occiasion (unless clubbing!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recently visited for my daughtersBurtyDined on 15/2/2013Recently visited for my daughters birthday, had a lovely meal, staff were very helpful and need rush you at all.Special Features:
- Good ambience and lively but...anonymousDined on 15/2/2013The food was decent, although the potions are small and pretty pricey for what you get both in terms of quality and quantity. The waitress also got our orders wrong, which was hardly surprising since they chose not to write down our order on paper or any sort of device.
- Ate att Ruby Blue before goingAnonDined on 15/2/2013Ate att Ruby Blue before going to the theatre. There was a wide choice on the menu, food was good but not outstanding.
- Good value but we felt rushedSimonDined on 14/2/2013We went for the Valentine's Day set menu, which was goos value and the food was pretty good. The waitresses were attentive but they were dashing around us and because each course came quickly one after the other, it felt like they just wanted us to finish quickly and clear the table. I appreciate the booking said we had an hour and three quarters to finish but we aren't slow, and as soon as the main was finished the dessert came straight out. We asked if it could be sent back so we could just have a 10 minute break, and after a bit of pondering, the waitress said that would be fine. I overheard her say that it could 'just be left on the side'. Overall good value for what you pay, but it felt a little like we were on a production line.Special Features:
- Good valueNettlesDined on 1/2/2013Great service, fabulous waitress and good food - excellent value at 50% off food - so good that there were no conditions on the choice so we had steak and lobster :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great price, great food & locationLucySVIPDined on 28/1/2013I dined in Ruby Blue prior to going to the theatre. The food was great and the atmosphere in the restaurant was really nice. The location was extremely convenient. the waitress that served us was very friendly and even when there were a few dishes that were on the menu that they didn't have, she offered us an alternative which was actually better. I will definitely be dining here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placesly2013Dined on 25/1/2013I love this restaurant, food is always yummy and the service is good! The only thing i would say is that the cocktails are too small for the measure. 2 mouthfuls and it gone ;(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good value but average experiencelocketDined on 17/1/2013The food was tasty and good value with the 50% off, but waiter got our order wrongSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.