68 Millman Street
London, WC1N 3EFNeighborhood:
IndianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.salaam-namaste.co.uk/index.html
- Phone: 02074053697
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12.00pm - 2.30pm, 5.30pm - 11.30pm
Sunday: 12.00pm - 2.30pm, 5.30pm - 11.00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Special Events: We specialise in Out Door Events,the whole restaurant is available for private parties up to 70 guests
A word from Salaam Namaste
Salaam Namaste restaurant in London’s Bloomsbury is an Indian/Subcontinental restaurant for people who really love food. The décor is charming though modest and unassuming -- we’ve all been dazzled then let down by slick design in the past. At Salaam Namaste, disappointment is not on the menu. The chef, formerly at a chichi Indian hotel, is a maestro at cuisines that criss-cross that part of the world, including Pakistan and Bangladesh, with an emphasis on seafood. Signature dishes include starters of kathi kabab, jingha peri peri, and aloo chat, and main courses of tawa lamb chops, Goan green chicken curry and Bangladeshi machchi fry. Classic dishes are here, all served with a calm, friendly air.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Salaam Namaste reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since 6 May 2014
fit for foodies (31)business meals (31)good vegetarian options (27)group bookings (23)special occasions (20)outstanding value (20)romance (13)pre/post theatre (12)outdoor eating (11)sunday lunch (8)child friendly (4)afternoon tea (3)brunch (3)disabled access (2)Show More
- Great Indian cusineUschurrDined on 25/8/2014I had found the restaurant on open table and gave it a try with two colleagues visiting London for a meeting. It was clearly worth the walk through the rain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service is a bit surlyLuv2TriAndEatDined on 22/8/2014Went to the restaurant on a Friday night, not too busy. The food is great, but the service is a bit surly. They could be more welcoming. Waiter seemed upset when I mentioned the Toptable 30% discount. But, for the food alone, I think it's worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly staff, good mealval2londonDined on 15/8/2014The place is nice. We went with two children and the staff was very attentive with us. The meal was good. Indian tradition with a modern touch. The price was not too expensive. A good experience in LondonSpecial Features:
- A very different IndianMCCCDined on 11/8/2014They describe it as modern Indian. Wonderful tastes and very different. Lots of regulars. Gets busy in teh week and service can be a little slow but excellent waiters and very knowledgeable. Cant recommend it strongly enough
- Really niceNickDined on 29/7/2014We were staying near Russell square and fancy a good indian . We booked this restaurant as it was close and reviews were good. We were nicely greeted by waitress and were given a nice table. Soon asked for popadoms and chutneys which were great . They were running a summer menu which was looking interesting, so we asked them to recommend some dishes. Manager took our order and recommended really nice dishes. We enjoyed our meal and service was really nice and accommodating . Definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all roundsavvyspsDined on 28/7/2014Small restaurant but very well setup, plenty if awards on display. Good ambience and excellent food. I know my flavours and can definitely recommend this one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it's meant to be!D1ssap01nt3dDined on 9/7/2014Although the set menu was a good price (approx £16 for 3 courses) the quality of the food was not good. The ice cream was tasteless, the curries ok, but not great. The lamb curry overcooked and tough - we didn't think it was lamb, but in fact mutton. The service was very slow, and many diners received their meals before us, despite the waiting staff being eager to please. This restaurant needs to get back the quality of the food that the reviews raved about. The dining room itself was cold and did not have a good ambience.
- Good Indian with unusual optionsbobbVIPDined on 1/7/2014This restaurant is off the beaten track, but well worth heading off route to find it. I liked the menu as it combined traditional with less obvious dishes. I ordered some papad when I arrved. One of them wasn't fully cooked, but when I poimted it out, it was quickly replaced and a free one added. The chutneys were also all a little different from the average. When the food arrived, it was well presented and excellent quality. My first dish had a good pepper flavour - a lamb kebab style item. It came with a nice side salad, more presnetation than anything, but helped cool the mouth down. The main course came with lemon rice, which was perfectly cooked and nicely flavoured. I had a creamy but spcy chicken dish. ASpecial Features:
- Fabulous LunchVozAndDined on 28/6/2014We had a fabulous lunch. We walked from Holborn to get there and it was worth every step: Our dishes were delicious and beautifully served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Service Just OkayFoFolusDined on 23/6/2014So I read about this place on some random London geared website, thought it looked okay. So on a hungry Monday afternoon when me and my friends fancied a nice Indian lunch, I went and reserved a table for around their opening time. When we got there nobody was in the restaurant, but for some reason it took a very long time for the waiter to take our drink orders, and then it took about 35 minutes for them to make 3 drinks, ordering food and finally receiving it was very slow, it took about an hour from when we arrived till we received our appetizers. The waiter was also very cold to us, however the food was extremely good (I'm American and real Indian food just isn't a thing here) and the Manager was very nice and accommodating.Special Features:
- Opentable Menu LimitedMostlyreasonableDined on 10/6/2014I always eat at Salam Namaste when I meet up with my brother. I take my wife here often. The food is always of good quality. On this occasion the Opentable offer menu was a bit thin. The tandoori chicken arrived in the form of 3 pieces which was little too minimal for my liking. The main meat dish only gave two choices but the spicy lamb which I chose was excellent. The restaurant allowed me to deviate from the Taka Dhal to the Black Dahl. I order this every time I come in this restaurant because it is brilliant. In all the food is still good but the Opentable menue is too restrictive and I would like that to change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- modern indianWillemDined on 26/4/2014Exactly as it says, very good modern Indian dining. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service with Food past its BBEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 25/4/2014Beyond the initial quick delivery of nibbles the service is extremely slow at this restaurant. This is the third time of going and the last two times have been the same - very very slow. Well over 45mins wait for food. In thus occasion one of the dishes had potatoes that were sprouting - well past there best before consumption. To make amends for this the restaurant deducted the £3.75 from the bill that the dish cost!
- Nice restaurantTuMaDined on 25/4/2014Food was wonderful, service very good. Nice to see that indian food can be served in a new, modern way. Very tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Starters..HIRIDined on 25/4/2014Booked this for our anniversary after hearing good reviews and awards from this venue. We were delighted with the quality of food especially the starters and the presentation was excellent including the mocktails, defiantly a must try. All round this is a good restaurant with attentive service. We were too full to try any deserts but they had a good selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just traditional Indian disheseat4funVIPDined on 22/4/2014The Salaam Namaste is tucked away in a quiet street off Grays Inn Road. It is worth tracking it down. It offers traditional Indian dishes with interesting twists and new flavours.Special Features:
- One of my favourites but...FeedingFrenzyDined on 11/4/2014Salaam Namaste produces some of the best, freshest, tastiest and carefully prepared Indian food in London. It offers contemporary Indian cuisine without all the pretentious, ridiculous and unnecessary flourishes that so often just detract from the food. Dined there on my recommendation with a couple of friends, and they had a great time. We had a starter of the Peri Peri Prawns: MASSIVE prawns in a fiery but delicious sauce: up to the usual standard. BUT BUT BUT my main dish of Lamb Rogan Josh was almost inedible as the lamb was incredibly tough. It was such a shame, as everything else was its usual first rate self. Even so, this really is one of my favourite Indian restaurants in London, and I've been to a few I can tell you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food shame about the servuceDbonDined on 28/3/2014Was excited to try this restaurant as I'd read good reviews. Wasn't disappointed with the food but the service was poor. Only one waiter at lunchtime and he was fairly rude, virtually threw our bill at us at the end of the meal!
- Tasty foodMCofSPDined on 19/3/2014Met a Norwegian friend here for lunch. The food was excellent and tasty, well presented and with efficient, friendly service. Would recommend and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best Indian Meals for aRay4720Dined on 11/3/2014I dont often feel the need to leave comments about a restaurant but in this case! The service was excellent, the food outstanding. Ordered a mixture of aromatic and hot dishes. All the dishes and side dishes were flavoured to perfection, the Goa Green Curry manged to pack a punch yet still let all the other flavours through. The lamb Shank was well spiced and just melted of the bone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemAussiedinerDined on 8/3/2014My husband and I walk past Salaam Namaste regularly and had never been in. It's hidden down a quiet little side street in Bloomsbury. On a recommendation we booked dinner before a movie this weekend. The food was great, very tasty and seemed authentic. Also good value for money. No more than any other Indian restaurant but they have different dishes on their menu along with the favourite curries. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good quality IndiananonymousDined on 19/2/2014Had a good meal here withe work colleagues, with only complaint being that service was quite abrupt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice food, great service.Lynzy1Dined on 17/2/2014SalaamNamaste is amazing place to eat. I feel like home when come in. The food so delicious and tasty. I really found the staff members very friendly who always treating you like a VIP. Good location with good transport links. Thank you and will see you soon.Special Features:
- It is small cafeteria ok kindMitaDined on 13/2/2014It is small cafeteria ok kind of restaurent. Food was ok but didn't felt like award winning restaurant . Price was high . I felt I have been overcharged . Very limited menu . I won't visit againSpecial Features:
- A very nice Indian restuarantTracyDined on 12/2/2014A very nice Indian restuarant (Halal). There were four of us using the Top Table set menu of 3 courses for £15.95. The choices were limited but suited everyone in our party, the foot was hot, tasty and filling. The restaurant is quite small but it is nice and calm. A table of about 10 came in and were accommodated easily. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- the staff needs some trainingAnttDined on 9/2/2014Good food but the behaviour of the staff was startling. Smile seems to be an unknown word to them. One waiter actually turned our back to us while we were giving the order and he walked away! Shame, because the food is good. I don't know if I'd go againSpecial Features:
- ConsistencyDeshDined on 6/2/2014Another great meal at Salaam Namaste. Tasty starters and generously portioned mains.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An okay placeMP13Dined on 1/2/2014The food is okay, not much difference in taste between dishes though. The decor is very plain and bland, no pictures on the wall, kind of feels like a canteen. I probably won't rush back here.Special Features:
- Delicious food, pleasant atmosphereLouiseDined on 18/1/2014We ate on a Saturday night, when the restaurant was busy but not too frantic. The food was delicious, and beautifully presented as well. The only reason I haven't given 5 stars for value was that we used the 30% off food deal, and it wasn't clear before that this only applied if you ordered a starter and a main - we had only intended to eat a main. But on the food alone, I would definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- The food here is more thanfitzroverDined on 11/1/2014The food here is more than just one step up from that in the average neighbourhood Indian restaurant (as are the prices). The place was packed on the Saturday we ate here and they were struggling slightly to cope, but the front of house staff remained attentive and friendly throughout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- XMas visitdjinukDined on 25/12/2013We went to the restaurant for Christmas. There was a set menu - we were very impressed with the range of options on the menu as well as the quality. The service was attentive throughout the meal but not overbearing. We really enjoyed our visit and would absolutely recommend Salaam Namaste to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great quality IndianNaiveMelodyDined on 19/12/2013Excellent food and service. Would definitely go back. Everyone in the group enjoyed the meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salaam NamasteOldieVIPDined on 18/12/2013This is a very different type of Indian restaurant, with some unusual dishes and ingredients. Well worth a visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favourite Indian Place in LondonTrinMan1980Dined on 15/12/2013It can be hard to find the perfect Indian restaurant in London - one that serves great food (that you won't regret a couple of hours later) and yet isn't too expensive. I've been going to Salaam Namaste for years, and when I have friends visiting from out of town, always take them here for the London curry experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I booked a table for 10 followingJoshDined on 12/12/2013I booked a table for 10 following a workshop at Senate House after reading good reviews. Salaam Namaste set aside a nice table, and didn't seem too peeved when the group proved to be only 8. The food was excellent, and well priced -- our party's bill came out to 30 pounds apiece, with everyone enjoying a main course and quite a lot of beer and wine. My only quibble was with the noise level in this small restaurant, which made dinner table conversation a bit difficult. Still, I would, and likely will, book again.Special Features:
- Another excellent mealPedroDined on 10/12/2013This was my second dinner at Salaam Namaste. We went for a group meal having one of the Christmas menus, and the food was excellent, as in my first visit, the service as attentive, and the dimmed lights ambiance (Christmas tree and all) great as well. Been recommending to my friends Salaam Namaste as the best Indian restaurant I've been to in London, and hope not to have reasons to change this!Special Features:
- Terrible acoustics, poor serviceDinerDined on 9/12/2013Unsuitable for a group meal. It is very noisy when the restaurant is almost full - terrible acoustics. You have to learn towards the diners facing you just to hear them. During winter, there should not be a table only 50cm from the door onto the street. That door doesn't fully close unless physically pushed shut. Freezing winter air blew into the area with every person coming and going; the diner nearby had to physically close the door on twenty occasions. We were seated for over half an hour before the food order was taken. Food was delivered with large time gaps - most diners without any food for five mins while others had a plate. A diner asked for no ice; drink arrived with ice. A diner asked for one tap water; nothing arrived.
- Fantastic!HJElmasuDined on 8/12/2013Becoming a regular for us - the food has never disappointed and is a combination of the traditional mixed with new twists. Very friendly and comfortable atmosphere and easily one of the best asian dining experiences in London!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New menuDeshDined on 5/12/2013A change of management with an exciting new menu including some tasty new additions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousMostlyreasonableDined on 3/12/2013I visited this restaurant for about the 6th time. I had the Top Table deal which I thought may be at risk from corner cutting. It wasn't. The spicy lamb dish was truly amazing and they kindly gave me the option of having Black Dhal over the standard yellow. Just those two dishes alone are worth coming back for again and again. My friend was mighty impressed to. This restaurant remains one of the very best I have tried for good Indian cuisine that makes so many restaurant come across as very average. Best Regards. MostlyreasonableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.