50 Berners Street
London, W1T 3NGNeighbourhood:
ContinentalPrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.morganshotelgroup.com/originals/originals-sanderson-london/eat-drink/courtyard-garden
- Phone: 02073005588x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily 7AM - 11:30PM
Lunch: 12:00PM - 4:30PM
Mad Hatter's Afternoon Tea: Daily 12.30PM -5.30PM
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday 5:00PM - 12:00AM, Thursday - Saturday 5:00PM - 12:30AM, Sunday 5:00PM - 10:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Afternoon Tea
- Executive Chef: Matthew Marshall
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our beautiful Terrace Room, Board Room and Billiard Rooms are available for hire
- Private Party Contact: Helen Moore 02073005542x
- Entertainment: Guest and resident DJs perform in Long Bar Friday and Saturday nights from 9pm.
- Special Events: Tumble down the rabbit hole with our curiouser and curiouser Mad Hatter's Afternoon Tea!
A word from Sanderson
Located just steps off of Sanderson's iconic lobby, The Restaurant at Sanderson blends visionary design with an exceptional menu and artisanal cocktails curated by our talented team of mixologists. Just off of the legendary Long Bar, this modern continental brasserie serves globally inspired seasonal cuisine that combines inventive technique & the best ingredients with classic British favorites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sanderson reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since 25 October 2013
outdoor eating (6)romance (5)afternoon tea (5)good vegetarian options (4)business meals (4)special occasions (4)brunch (3)fit for foodies (3)outstanding value (2)sunday lunch (1)pre/post theatre (1)Show More
- DisappointingJulie1Dined on 29/7/2014We had breakfast here. The coffee cups were dirty. We were surrounded by annoying flies. The food was cold.
- GaHarriDined on 21/6/2014Food was the quality of an average takeaway (which is poor) but priced closer to the high end. Decor gas certainly had a lot spent in it but unfortunately I think the Sanderson is no longer the fashionable venue of choice that it may once have been. Was full of some 'sketchy' characters. Quite an uncomfortable evening. Not recommended on any front.
- Great atmospheredeemac60Dined on 6/6/2014We booked a table at Suka on a Friday night, when we arrived at the hotel and found a seat at the Long Bar the atmosphere with music, coupled with an attentive barman who quickly recommended a nice bottle of wine with an ice bucket at our seats. We arrived around 8.15 and with our table booked for 9 we then went to our table where the staff were helpful in both choice of menu which is a selection of Malaysian food, we ordered 4 dishes between the 2 of us and this was plenty, in particular the steamed sea bass was a delight. The restaurant is in a courtyard (enclosed) and is next to the bar but far enough to enjoy the atmosphere, with the music and generally chat without having to shout. Really enjoyed the whole experience, we will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 30/5/2014Very flexible in changing table times as not very busy on a Friday night. Great service and food!Special Features:
- Had better takeaways! awful!LD1986Dined on 28/2/2014We firstly waited a good five minutes before our drinks order was taken which we then waited fifteen minutes for the wine to arrive. We ordered our meal and only half of it arrived after about 45minutes. The staff where very friendly but we did have to call the host over in regards to the missing meals. as an apology for teh long wait he gave us thebottle of wine on the house. Once we had received all the meals it was bland and tasteless. We did complain and an alternative dish was ordered for my sister as a reccomendation and an apology. However when the billed arrive we still paid for the apology dish that to be honest we where too fed up to really enjoy. I have had better take aways on a Sunday evening. I will not be coming back.Special Features:
- New Years Eve DinnerDallCorpVIPDined on 31/12/2013So, this is a strange one. Il take it one by one. Food would have been exceptional, 4 stars maybe even 5, but unfortunately it was just to cold. Service, terrible, I have sympathy as it was New Years and I was not expecting service to be brilliant, but it was terrible, 45mins to 1hr between courses.... Ambience was good, good atmosphere, shame about the service. All in all I will be going back to give it another chance, as I am sure that both the food service will improve dramatically.Special Features:
- Mismatch of food, ambience & priceFoodianDined on 10/12/2013The location and restaurant sets such high expectations that it is so disappointing when the food is below par. - We didn't like the Beef Rendang - it tasted very smoky for some reason. - The rice was a bit gritty/raw in the middle. - The first serving of Chicken Satay was totally raw in the middle so that went back and the replacement was tough - The portions were ridiculously small - pretty much taster portions - so you'd expect really fresh and tasty dishes The squid was the nicest dish we had and we all agreed that restaurant and service was great. Just the food let it down.
- Great ambience both the barfidel99Dined on 25/10/2013Great ambience both the bar and the outside dining garden are pleasant cool and relaxed. Excellent service at the table.Special Features:
- The following 567 reviews are from the Sanderson reviews archive.
- Nice place, average food poor valueAndyDined on 12/10/2013It's a nice interior and although Long Bar is always rammed in its narrow space the restaurant is nicely designed to replicate a tropical setting. The food though is vastly overpriced for what you get. It is literally street food done in a very average way. We had the squid which was utterly tasteless, the lamb curry which had no balance and was massively over spiced and some chicken satay - dry stocks of chicken with the sauce in a pot. The sea bass took forever and, when it finally arrived, was bland. The service was friendly but nothing brilliant at all. There was no attempt to examine the menu or suggest a wine, as you'd expect in such a place. Go spend your money better elsewhere. There's plenty of nicer places to go.
- Great VenueLove4eatingoutDined on 8/10/2013Wonderful venue. Good food and friendly staff. Bit pricy, even without alcohol, in fact for the size dishes, it's a bit too pricy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mediocretastyDined on 28/9/2013had wanted to visit suka for a long time so my husband took me for my birthday. lovely hotel, nice bar, food was ok too. nothing too outstanding - would recommend this place more casually and for drinks..Special Features:
- Malaysian delightCJ1973Dined on 20/9/2013THis restaurant is set in the hip and trendy Sanderson Hotel -with a great, funky atmosphere. The food was able to match this, and the staff helpful and unpretentious! The food is reasonbaly authentic and i should know as i am from Malaysia. Overall I had a great time and will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great venuesmyumDined on 9/9/2013We started with cocktails in the Long Bar which were amazing! The food was good, not amazing. But I'd still go back to try the other food The squid was to die for and the waiting staff were do friendly and accommodating.Special Features:
- VERY goodHowardTDined on 24/8/2013It was my 1st time there and i will be going back again for my a birthday tea. The food was very good. The outdoor eating was good for me and my wife even thow it was heavy rain on the day it didn't upset the day.Special Features:
- Definitel not for Malaysian anymorePtalDined on 21/8/2013Suka had a great selection of Malaysian dishes on their menu, but on my last visit realised it has been substantially cut down and the choice is much less. While the venue is great for a nice drink and meeting with friends I wont consider it specifically for Malaysian food anymore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shame about the winebexiemDined on 13/8/2013we ordered 2 bottles as we sat down and they poured the first but totally forgot the second bottle. we had to ask 3 times to get the second bottle and so sat with empty glasses for 20 minutes, shame as the good and ambience is great. the sting was the 15% service added to the bill at the end. not very clever really!!Special Features:
- Not what I was expectingAMcGDined on 10/8/2013OK it's the Sanderson so the main attraction is the long bar and the cocktails, and people watching. This they do well. But the dining experience didn't match the venue. To be offered a burger menu first was very confusing, as the website hypes up the Malaysian experience. When we asked for the full menu titled street food I was expecting a trendy twist. But got bland, bland bland and not much of it. Is it tapas or what ? I should've dined at a cheapie in Leicester square. Do your homework Saka and bring your eatery in line with rest of the place. Staff were polite and I gave feedback to the manager. Overall it's great for cocktails, but skip the idea of a good Malaysian meal, order from their burger menu- I wish I had. Or eat elsewhere!
- Japanese GardenCKumarDined on 9/8/2013We arrived at the Sandersons at 9 just before our booking. The restaurant itself was totally empty. However, the waiters were kind enough to let us sit at the Japanese Garden and order from the Suka Malaysian menu. So it was a great evening. Would highly recommend doing this than sitting in the restaurant itselfSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServicePasannDined on 6/8/2013The food was superb and arrived very quickly. The service was absolutely brilliant and the ambience was great. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not a good malaysian restaurantSophieBlancVIPDined on 30/7/2013surly and creepy service and the food was inauthentic and very simple. small portions and the photos are very misleading
- Deliciously Enticing.......TathiNTimDined on 28/7/2013We were planning to visit Sanderson's fabled 'Long Bar' for a some cocktails and upon noticing the showery weather forecast I came to the conclusion that dining in the immediate vicinity would be appropriate. Previously I'd not eaten at Suka despite several visits to either the bar or stays in the hotel it's self, I have to say it was quite exceptional. Forgive me for not remembering their Malaysian names (except nasi goring sic) but all of the four dishes we sampled were of the highest quality cuisine with delightful flavours. Other dishes being sea bass, belly pork and the simply delicious lamb curry. The setting and ambiance outside under candlelight was delightfully laid back with every single member of staff being very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fab foodLauryDined on 24/7/2013modern malasyan cussine beautifylly presented and very tasty. lovely athmosphere and fab martinisSpecial Features:
- Lovely courtyard space. FoodMittyVIPDined on 17/7/2013Lovely courtyard space. Food was good although not brilliantly balanced as Asian flavours go - a little heavy handed on the sugar in places. Terrible service sadly - put the glasses on our table and the bottle didn't arrive for another 10mins.
- This place loves itselfDiningLadyDined on 16/7/2013But not necessarily its customers... Having arrived early, I was seated at a charming table in the courtyard. And then was promptly ignored for fifteen minutes. No menu, no offer of a drink, nothing. I felt like a pariah and like my presence was not at all welcome. Finally the waiting staff deigned to give me a menu, having thus far resolutely refused to catch my eye. Things picked up when my dining companion arrived - but that was because of my friend, rather than Suka, I fear. The food was really rather lovely but it was expensive for street food. There's also a non-optional service charge so delightfully, I had to pay for the pleasure of being ignored. I don't think I will hurry back.
- let down by poor servicesChampagne42VIPDined on 18/6/2013The atmosphere and surroundings are very pleasant. the food is good and the set lunch is generous . I have dined there 3 occasions previously and the service was always very slow and patchy.Special Features:
- SukaStuart100Dined on 4/5/2013Sanderson hotel is a great place for Saturday evening cocktails at the long bar. The Suka restaurant is situated at the other end of the bar. Its very noisey due to the loud music in the bar area, you have to talk loudly to the person opposite you. It wasn't busy at all for a Saturday night. The service was a little slow and the food was nice but certainly not worth the high prices. The plate at the my place had food residue on it and at the table next to us the waitress was spraying place matts with cleaner and wiping them. This is the kind of experience you may expect from a Wahaca canteen, not a designer hotel in the West End of London.
- Suka was disappointingDalmatianVIPDined on 28/4/2013Suka means 'like' in Malay, however we were disappointed with Suka on this visit. We were looking forward to a good Malaysian meal as my sister was visiting from Edinburgh, and I had previously eaten there. Both laksa dishes did not taste at all like laksa ought to taste (and being Malaysians we should know) but tasted like someone had just added a lot of uncooked curry powder to the noodles. The other dishes we ordered were better, but very expensive for what we were given. Portions were also rather small for the price. Not sure that I would go back again as there are much better Malaysian restaurants in London.
- Suka - Evening MealMingsterDined on 27/3/2013Sanderson Hotel is amazing to look at on arrival. Suka is a nice touch for an in house restaurant. Have now booked the Mad Hatters Afternoon Tea.Special Features:
- Excellent food - we will returnTimBDined on 22/3/2013After a trip to a gallery and a walk on a cold and wet London night we were very pleasantly surprised by Suka. The food was all excellent and the variety of tastes on offer was just right. The beef satay was so tender, the duck won tons so tasty and the silken tofu so smooth. All in all well worthy of a visit. Bar music was a bit loud but maybe we are just getting old!I would recommend this to a friend.
- service beyond callbabaDined on 16/3/2013been here a couple of times as stay in the sanderson hotel when ever i can the food is great you are right next to the long bar so you could easily carry on the night on after your dinner the service is excellent,just mentioned that we fancied a creme brulle (not on menu) and they said no problem and made it special for us would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not goodSickasadogDined on 8/3/2013About 8 hours after eating at Suka I developed complaints that the review won't let me include. These symptoms lasted for about 16 hours. The only other food I had in the prior 36 hours had been cereal and fruit, steak and broccoli - all cooked at home. I am a physician and the symptoms were classic for staph aureus toxin - most likely from rice that had been stored at room temperature. I cannot recommend a restaurant that does this to a customer.
- nice restaraunt and barracsmithDined on 1/3/2013nice food, however small potions for mains, ideal if you would like the combination of restaraunt and bar and nice abience, the hotel entrance,is quite funky too , with the swing chair and lip seats...make good pictures. there is also a nice outdoor area near the bar. there is another bar called the purple bar which looks really nice in pictures, however was told is only for guests fri/saturday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly, attentive serviceSophistic8teddineDined on 24/2/2013Good food is on offer at Suka, along with excellent service. Their concept as explained to all diners on presentation of the menu is to order a few dishes each to share with your table. Portion sizes are decent, but you will,need to order a minimum of two to three dishes to share.Special Features:
- Delicious malaysian foodCanuckFoodieDined on 22/2/2013I have been to the Sanderson long bar many times but never actually eaten at their restaurant. I was thoroughly impressed with the attentive and professional service of the restaurant. The food was delicious (I had chicken skewers and this rice noodle spicy dish) and fairly priced for asian food. Great wine selection. We were there on a Friday night so there was a DJ playing music and it made for a lively ambience (hence more inclination to drink!). I think Suka would be a great spot for a birthday dinner as the space is quite large and the dishes are made for sharing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointing...behs123VIPDined on 21/2/2013Was very excited to be going to Suka for dinner. The food was nice but nothing special. The curry was supposed to be really spicy and ended up being very bland. Very expensive. Wont be going back.Special Features:
- Nice restaurant but overpriced.BanangeDined on 11/1/2013Nice restaurant but overpriced. The restaurant is in same are as the bar which is very chique and popular but therefore a bit loud. Waiters went out of their way to please us. The Malaysian food was nice, a good stab at authenticity but a bit bland. The advised amount of 3-4 dishes per person was too much food. All in all i wouldn't go back, mainly because of the price.Special Features:
- Good Asian foodMarinaVIPDined on 8/1/2013The food was good as usual. Friendly service is a big plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, pricey cocktailsdeanDined on 1/12/2012opted to choose food from the express menu as didnt want to eat too much food was great, cocktails were also great but on average £14 a go!! can get very priceySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful lunch with the ladiesTarakinVIPDined on 30/11/2012I have eaten at Suka before and once again I was not disappointed. We were 8 ladies and had the group lunch at £60 per head. It may seem a little expensive but it is worth it. Each dish was amazing, the dishes were well balanced and accommodated everyone tastes. Service was great from the moment we arrived and staff were friendly, attentive and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Although there were two largeGourmetSDined on 28/11/2012Although there were two large parties at the venue on the night we went for dinner the service was poor and more importantly the quality of the food was very disappointing. We were not offered to have a dessert or coffee/tea.Special Features: