88 Upper Street
London, N1 0NPNeighbourhood:
SpanishPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 020 7704 5253
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to Thursday and Sunday: 12pm to 5pm and 5.30pm to 11pm. Friday and Saturday: 12pm to 5pm and 5.30pm to 11.45pm.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
A word from Sangria
Finding a good independent restaurant in London can be difficult, but one of our Islington favourites is the Sangria Tapas Bar. Located just a short way from the Angel tube station on the busy Upper Street, Sangria is a hidden gem tucked away amongst the many bars and eateries that shout much louder for your attention. The small but comfortable main dining room of Sangria takes its cue from its Iberian forebears, maintaining a simple, rustic charm in the classic, unfussy décor and sturdy, basic furnishings, colour added by large prints and splashes of red paint on feature walls. The menu here is very typical of true Spanish tapas joints, providing a wide selection of small sharing dishes with plenty of seafood, cured meats, trademark paellas and other choices suited to laid back dining accompanied by, perhaps, a drink or two from the bar which serves Spanish wines and beers and, of course, the red wine cocktail that gives the restaurant its name.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sangria reviews from OpenTable diners
- Average-goodZPZPDined on 26/4/2013Service a bit rushed and inefficient, food ok but not the best Spanish food I've eaten in London. Good choice of tapas, cocktail offers mid-week are good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catch up with friendssteakloverDined on 21/3/2013Excellent venue for big groups. Good selection of food that can suit all tastes, and appropriate for sharing. Ambiance is good for chatting - not too loud, but music and full of people on a Thursday evening so it felt like there was an atmosphere. Would recommend for big groups looking for a fun evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good little findEmmaPDined on 21/3/2013Never been to this restaurant before but booked it as was an easy location for the group. Would defintely go there again -food was excellent and service was very friendly. The wine was questionable but maybe that was our fault for not doing the obvious and having sangria!Special Features:
- A true authentic Spanish experienceKofiDined on 2/2/2013A true authentic Spanish experience - For a couple hours you could forget you were'nt on holiday..Special Features:
- Great place for a group dinnerMikeDined on 31/12/2012It's about 5-10 minutes from St Pancras to the restaurant by cab and conveniently located close to Angel and the best part of the high street. "Screen on the Green" (a cinema) is just next door. There is a wide a selection of dishes to choose from so it was great for groups / sharing. Staff were accommodating and very friendly. Great night out and the Sangria taste great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food great atmospheredizzypDined on 15/12/2012I took my mum here for a meal and we had a lovely time. The food was delicious and the service was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a great place to bringAnonymousDined on 7/12/2012This is a great place to bring a big group of mates. Tapas was reasonable priced and the selection is big. I had a few friends who were vegetarians and there were quite few selections for them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum yumJmbjwmwVIPDined on 14/11/2012We ate at Sangria in London. Our meal was fine (garlic bread, calamari and chick pea stew). The drinks were small and mostly ice and there was a terrible draught from the door each time it opened.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable eveninganiaDined on 26/10/2012lovely atmosphere and food, good value for sangria 2 for 1 happy hours, quick service and value for money, all friends enjoyd the evening and foodSpecial Features:
- Mussels from heavenCarlosDined on 6/10/2012Great Paella. 2 people serving for 20 pounds was more than enough and made for a take home serving for both of us later. Authentic atmosphere and the Mussels in white wine were amazing!Special Features:
- Beautiful Paella, Good valueOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 15/9/2012Went to Sangria on last saturday with a friend. We had the mixed-paella (sea food and chicken) and were absolutely happy about it! We did wait for about 35 minutes but it was worth it. Willl definitely recommend Sangria, good food for outstanding value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fri nightmarlonDined on 10/8/2012good food, good service on a warm friday evening outside - seafood paella very good.Special Features:
- Yum yumJmbjwmwVIPDined on 9/8/2012We ate at Sangria in London. Service was slow - the couple on the next table left after 20 minutes as their order hadn't been taken. One of our dishes was incorrect but the food and sangria were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbFoodie2012Dined on 4/8/2012Excellent service and amazing food, i've eaten here numerous times and never a complaint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeAnniDined on 2/8/2012Really good spanish food, I had the feeling I were in Spain :D It is like on holidays. The staff is really nice, friendly and always helpful. The prices are good for so good food :)Special Features:
- Nice food although a littleKellyDined on 25/7/2012Nice food although a little on the expensive side without a taste card. Was offered the 2-4-1 on Sangria and when the bill came was told that we couldn't use a taste card with the 2-4-1 offer. Friendly waiting staff. Would go back...
- Ok food but pricey for what we hadNBLondonerDined on 23/7/2012We went to Sangria for lunch, we had a table booked for 12pm and arrived 5mins early but we weren't allowed to sit down and have a drink until the kitchen officially opened so we had to stand just outside the door until we were allowed in. The food was ok, calamari quite rubbery and my partner ordered the mussles but only half of them were open and could be eaten so that was a full charge for only half a plate of edible food. The service was fine, not the fastest but that doesn't bother me . The final bill was quite pricey so not great value for money. I enjoyed sitting outside as the seating area is set back from the road. We've been meaning to try Sangria for a while so glad we went but doubt we'll returnSpecial Features:
- Yummy paellaTTfoodieVIPDined on 8/7/2012We went there as a group of 11. The service was speedy. We went for the paella offer and ordered the squid ink paalla which was really nice.Special Features:
- Pick with care...foodfanDined on 7/7/2012Some of the food here was delicious, such as the chickpeas. However, the lamb chops were almost inedible and the potatas bravas weren't potatas bravas. Overall, it's a pretty decent restaurant with some outstanding food, but it's a shame not everything is up to that standard.
- Good foodCaroxaDined on 25/5/2012Good tapas big portions, quick service, will come backSpecial Features:
- Tapas in the sun!NicTBDined on 25/5/2012My husband and I enjoyed some 241 Sangria and Tapas in the Sun on a Friday evening at 'Sangria' on Upper Street. The sizzling prawns in garlic was beautiful!Special Features:
- Lovely summers evening restaurantKellyDined on 11/5/2012Another great night at Sangria. Try and get a table outside in the summer. I recommend the garlic king prawns, the red wine Sangria and the chicken rice.... Oh and the meatballs! Authentic staff who always tray ro accommodate your needs. Good value with a taste card.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sangria in Islington SaturdayPeterInWGCDined on 5/5/2012Sangria in Islington Saturday lunchtime family get-together. Generally very nice - food tasty and service excellent but we were the only customers which made the ambience difficult to assess. Loos a long walk/climb up 2 flights of stairs.
- Sangria, Islington PleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 27/4/2012Sangria, Islington Pleasant enough tapas with reasonable service and not too pricey.
- Really lovely restaurant.KellyDined on 26/4/2012Really lovely restaurant. Swamped by the local franchise places Sangria is really cosy and the food is great. Try and get the table by the window to watch the World go by. Quite lively for a Thursday night. The chili garlic prawns and moules mariniere were excellent as was the sangria (red wine option). The calamari was a bit chewy. Had a taste London card and got 241 so was good value. I would recommend and attend again.
- Excellent venue for relaxedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 20/4/2012Excellent venue for relaxed meal and drinks. Food was fabulous and the waiter was very friendly and helpful with recommending dishes. would definitely go again.
- Sangria is located in a lovelyC4S1Dined on 31/3/2012Sangria is located in a lovely part of the city in the centre of Angel and not far from the tube. This was our second visit, the food is always great and really authentic (I lived in Spain for 18 months and this is the place in London I always go to for Spanish food most like what I had there). The food isn't too expensive and the restaurant always has a great atmosphere. A bit noisy, very friendly staff (service is a little slow - very Spanish!) but very lively and a great experience.
- Great food - the most authenticOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 23/3/2012Great food - the most authentic tapas in London at a reasonable price. How could we not love it! It has a good atmosphere and friendly Spanish staff. Maybe a bit noisy later on a Friday night but we were going by then.
- Pleasant meal at Sangria ingastronautVIPDined on 23/3/2012Pleasant meal at Sangria in Islington. Tapas all fine - nothing really special, but all perfectly adequate (if a little salty). Portion size good. Service very attentive and friendly. Restaurant generally pleasant though a smidge noisy. A decent choice in this area, but perhaps not a "wow"
- The tapas at Sangria comeFoodiezDined on 1/3/2012The tapas at Sangria come in large plates and we were absolutely stuffed after ordering only 5 plates to share between two. Fairly priced, though I wouldn't consider it cheap (£60 between 2, including a large jug of sangria). Nice atmosphere and would go back again.
- Sangria on Upper Street, IslingtonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 17/2/2012Sangria on Upper Street, Islington is a wonderful Spanish restaurant. The meat and cheese platters were delicious and the sizzling prawns were fantastic. It was an expensive meal, but this is because we kept ordering more and more tapas after our first order, as the initial plates we'd ordered were so good! I would definitely recommend this restaurant.
- The service was good and weOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 15/2/2012The service was good and we had a nice digestive provided at the end too. The food was pretty average though but good overall dining experience.
- We went there on St. Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 14/2/2012We went there on St. Valentine's day with 6 people. The service was nice and friendly and quick. The meals are delicious. We had great time. And the prices are fair.
- Sangria in Islington was aGTLondonVIPDined on 14/2/2012Sangria in Islington was a nice find. The food was great and we had really enjoyed the grilled aubergine with cheese, calamari and Spanish sausage which was different from the usual slices of chorizo. A very nice experience overall.
- Excellent post theatre tapasDRMTEDined on 9/2/2012Excellent post theatre tapas - didn't want to go homeSpecial Features:
- Sangria in Upper Street isOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2012Sangria in Upper Street is a very authentic Spanish restaurant with attentive service, good spanish food and lively atmosphere.
- Went to Sangria in Angel asCaroxaDined on 28/1/2012Went to Sangria in Angel as a last minute decision, and again didn't regret it. Service was a bit slow being saturday night at 8pm. Had plently of food (too much indeed) and have to remember to order less next time (we ordered 3 tapas each).
- Tapas joint Sangria on thePegertegDined on 21/1/2012Tapas joint Sangria on the bustling Upper Street is simply decorated in red with the traditional Spanish paintings on the wall. The waiters are also reassuringly Spanish and quick to serve their eponymous Sangria; which is pretty decent. We avoided the signature paella for a range of tasty little dishes - juicy olives, chorizo, egg and peas, tasty grilled king prawns, chicken croquettes and wee sausages mixed with peppers. All were generous portions and delicious, which was a nice for a change.
- Sangria was fine for a postHelenJDined on 17/1/2012Sangria was fine for a post London Art Fair snack and drink but not very exciting.