45 Grafton Way
London, W1T 5DQNeighbourhood:
ItalianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sardo-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 020 7387 2521
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm
Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: We have three different areas suitable for private functions, including our fire room and our conservatory. We can cater for parties of 15 to parties of 80 guests. With the exposed brick walls of the horse tunnel to the ancient olive tree on the patio the restaurant is bursting with character.
- Private Party Contact: Romolo Mudu 020-7722-2800
A word from Sardo
Word has spread like lightning about this Italian restaurant in London’s Fitzrovia just a few steps from Fitzroy Square. Sardo is one of the few restaurants in London that focuses on the cuisine of Sardinia, so you can expect consummately prepared authentic Sardinian specialties prepared by a Sardinian chef. It’s all served by smiling staff in a relaxed, welcoming setting, and at prices that will remind you of your childhood holidays -- well very nearly. Start with Sardo’s thin-sliced sun-dried fillet of tuna on a bed of fresh French beans and sun-dried tomatoes, followed by hard-wheat pasta in a tomato and aromatic sausage sauce. Main courses include grilled swordfish with rucola and tomato, and sweets feature the sebadas, a puff pastry filled with pecorino cheese and topped with honey. The international wine list is strong on characterful Sardinian wines, the perfect accompaniment to a fabulous meal at Sardo restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sardo reviews from OpenTable diners
191 reviews since 28 November 2013
business meals (96)fit for foodies (77)special occasions (47)romance (39)pre/post theatre (26)group bookings (24)good vegetarian options (17)outdoor eating (12)outstanding value (9)sunday lunch (8)brunch (7)child friendly (6)disabled access (3)Show More
- Starter SardinianNAM1Dined on 22/11/2014This was a great introduction to Sardinian food. We did our research beforehand, and a number of traditional dishes were on offer. The starters were delicious, the mains were more hit-and-miss - beautifully cooked swordfish, but inexplicably tough (it wasn't overcooked) venison. The staff were very friendly and service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food - a real hidden gemDS2ds2VIPDined on 21/11/2014Food has always been exceptional and the portion sizes are very generous (note - the grilled tuna steak is enough for 2 people!). Usually other diners are respectful and so it's good ambiance and you can have a proper conversation without yelling. A very adult sort of place, not somewhere I would take children. Excellent service and wines as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KKWADined on 21/11/2014This was my second visit to Sardo. Unfortunately on this occasion there was some kind of building works going on in the room above Sardo, so we had to contend with a constant banging noise, which was very distracting. Also, my friend had to return her chocolate fondant as it was not hot inside. The staff were very accomodating and courteous, and did their best to fix the issues we raised. My carpaccio of beef was delicious. All in all, my second visit was less favourable than the first, but I would still recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:
- Great ServiceSteviewonderDined on 21/11/2014My wife and I very much enjoyed our visit to Sardo. The food was tasty and we found the staff extremely helpful with their suggestions. The restaurant also showed a ready willingness to meet my wife's request to change one of the constituents of one of her dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic yet different menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 21/11/2014we had the spaghetti bottarga and the artichoke tagliatelle - both absolutely delicious - would highliy receommend this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sardinian Localjon39incityDined on 20/11/2014We've been many times now and have never been disappointed - the range of Sardinian wines is impressive, and the food is the real thing. The menu changes and the portions are generous - very generous in fact - we tend to share a starter so there is some hope of finishing the mains and still thinking about dessert. I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who enjoys hearty Mediterranean food that is a little different to the standard options. This time we had eel - perfectly cooked - their homemade sausage and homemade pasta in a typical rich sauce. Or were cooked to perfection. We frequently have their Fregola dishes - a local pasta a bit like giant cous-cous. It takes rich sauces brilliantly and is a must try. Finally, the service is exemplary - friendly but also very efficient. Probably our favourite local restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely LambAnnaUDined on 20/11/2014Lovely restaurant with friendly service and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remains consistentMrGrumpyVIPDined on 19/11/2014Very good if not exceptional, unfussy Italian food, equally good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentET28Dined on 18/11/2014We were a group of 7 for an evening meal and the staff were accommodating as we came with a different number than we had booked for. The exterior of the place belies how good it was inside. The food was excellent, every one enjoyed their selection. Several members of our group had the swordfish and were really impressed. The vegetarian options were good but limited. I would recommend the restaurant (it won’t let me tick the box on this form)
- Business lunchdevonmaidDined on 18/11/2014Good central location. Went for a business lunch, prompt service and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMartinDined on 17/11/2014This was a quiet lunch time and one of those times when there seem to be plenty of staff but they are all busy doing something, coming and going or chatting to each other but slow to serve customers. The interior is very plain and lacking in ambience further spoit by the Manager doing her paperwork at a nearby table. Food was very average and hence expensive for the price.Special Features:
- eatingoutDined on 14/11/2014Great place and good value. Had a nice evening there and good foodI would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely PlaceChewbetterDined on 13/11/2014Great location, good vibe, very good service and feels like a family run restaurant still. I had an excellent steak with blue cheese sauce. Everything coming out of the kitchen looked amazing. Good value too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost Brought to TearsTimothNishimotoDined on 31/10/2014Sadegna/Sardinia is one of my favorite places in the world for many reasons, but mainly because of the food there. I discovered Sardo the other day, and made a pilgrimage there for lunch, excited to try my first Sardinian restaurant experience outside of the region! The flavours of the food, combined with the distinct nuances of the Vermentino (I had all three on their glass list!), transported me back to the warm sun and cool breeze of Sardinia. I kid not, when I say this; I felt as though I was there. The last time I saw my friend, who died soon after that, was on the island in July, and without expecting it, the food and wine made me feel like my friend was with me once again. Hence, the tears. The service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent valueMilvertonDined on 28/10/2014Once again this restaurant proved to be excellent value and remains one of my favourites in London.Special Features:
- Sardinia in London! Seafood loversOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 25/10/2014This is firmly one of our favourite restaurants in London. The ambiance is relaxed but you can still dress up. The food is outstanding and large portians, the service is friendly professional and unassuming. We have spent a lot of time in Sardinia so we were so pleased to find a restaurant that is the real-deal. A basket of sardinian flatbread awaits you.. enjoySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to impressMichaelDined on 24/10/2014Once again I had another quality meal at Sardo. Granted, the prices are not the cheapest, but the food and wine are always fantastic, as is the service. It is well worth the price if you like to treat yourself now and again. I am sure I will be returning.Special Features:
- Delicious birthday meal.TrickynickyDined on 23/10/2014Every year we choose a top restaurant to celebrate our birthdays with friends - usually one we haven't tried before. This year my Husband chose to return to Sardo because we enjoyed the food so much on our first experience there in the Summer. We were not disappointed as sometimes happens on a return visit. The food was excellent, everything fresh, hot and delicious, the service friendly and efficient. It was also very good value for the high quality. We're already looking forward to returning again in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good twiceAdamDined on 23/10/2014If you read the guidebooks, this restaurant has fallen a bit ouf of fashion. However, compared with those that are in fashion, this is a very good sound restaurant. I've been there twice now with my friend and fellow crit, Karen, and found very little to fault it. It would be good if it had more fish options without shellfish but that's about it. All five dishes tasted came very much up to scratch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing sad about Sardo'slondonvisitorDined on 20/10/2014Excellent tasty simple food cooked well with good range of inexpensive winesSpecial Features:
- A true and tried favouriteJulietSDined on 4/10/2014We have been coming to Sardo for years but that did not stop me from commenting to my husband during the meal that we really should come more often. Everything was exquisite, from the carta di musica with prosecco upon sitting down to the burrata starter and amazing mains (we had rack of lamb and pasta with rabbit ragu) to the outstanding desserts (I can never resist the cioccolato fondente though the panna cotta was extremely good too). Service was also excellent: friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- would go there againOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 20/9/2014excellent service with good food. nice relaxing atmosphere. friendly service.
- Great wine and foodFoodStoatDined on 20/9/2014Sardo is a favourite restaurant for my family and I. Traditional Sardinian food - recommend the crab linguine, and they also have their own wine for around £22 per bottle which is very tasty. I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for tasty and fresh Italian food, which is also a bit different to the normal with the Sardinian twist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MelKDined on 17/9/2014Quality honest food.Nice atmoshere and staff. Happy to recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sardinian fooddineoutDined on 9/9/2014We were catching up with an old friend and wanted to eat good food in a restaurant where it would be possible to enjoy conversation as well. Sardo certainly fitted the bill. All three of us enjoyed our chosen meals- the mixed fish platter was outstanding as was the stuffed squid. The waitresses were attentive but not at all intrusive- striking absolutely the right balance.Special Features:
- Disappointing and overpricedluv2eatDined on 30/8/2014My third time here (the first two were years ago). I never liked it, but could never understand the positive reviews especially about the food. This time was no better. My spaghetti with bottarga were drenched in a tasteless, yellow oil that had no sign of the salty aromatic fish roe and was actually unpleasant. The malloredus with sausage ragu looked as if it had come out of a tin (I dind't dare taste it). My tagliata was nice and tender but so what - I make it at least as good myself. Hardly anything sardinian that you can't get somewhere else such as wonderful culurgiones, or seadas (sebadas) is to be found on the menu. It is expensive for what you get and the wines are not great. What do people enjoy here?
- not Italian foodGMCMBDined on 14/8/2014I was very disappointed by this restaurant, the food is very poor in terms of its authenticity, it is NOT italian, leave alone Sardinian. Being Italian I know what to expect, but even my Polish friend was disappointed. The staff is not Italian and we doubt the chef is either. Very disappointing!
- Large servings : good Italian foodalanatcroydonVIPDined on 13/8/2014Not far from Euston Station, this was a friendly place to have lunch. Though branded Sardinian, we thought the dishes typically Italian. I particularly like the beef carpaccio and my friend the tuna carpaccio. Our main courses were huge. My calves liver was cooked to perfection but I struggled to finish it all. We shared a tiramisu which seemed pretty standard fare. The red Monica di Sardo was smooth and full. Attentive service from two waitresses. A go-again place!
- Always high quality.SpudDined on 8/8/2014Been coming here for years. Always great quality, bit noisy and the tables very close together is the only slight downside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth a visitNormskiVIPDined on 6/8/2014This was a first visit and we will come here again. All our food choices were good, but the beef carpaccio definitely caused food envy during the starters and had to be shared. I echo an earlier comment about the wines as there isn't much under £30. Also, it would help to know something about Sardinian wines before you order - we were surprised to find that a white wine described as 'floral, green pear and citrus aromas, lively and fresh acidity, honeysuckle and melon linger on the ﬁnish' appeared to have been quite heavily oaked.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing evening!inverforthDined on 1/8/2014Six of us were treated to a good meal and excellent service.
- Wonderful food, friendly ambience!jezzDined on 31/7/2014I have been to Sardo a number of times this summer and have been consistently impressed by the delicious Sardinian food, the chance to try some wonderful Sardinian wines, the friendly service and the relaxed, yet elegant, atmosphere. In summer the front double doors are open giving a breezy atmosphere and there are also a few tables outside on the street where you can feel the Fitzrovia buzz. Go and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Value for money?DoctorpaulDined on 26/7/2014Good first and second courses but mediocre desserts. Expensive if agreeable house wine. Pleasant and calm atmosphere with good service. Avoid expensive extras such as bread at £2 a head. Have had equally good Italian food and wine at more reasonable prices so would hesitate to go there again.Special Features:
- A real find!TrickynickyDined on 23/7/2014My Husband and I choose eat at Sardo due to it's convenient location near to Euston Station prior to catching a train. It is a real find - delicious, original, homemade food served in generously sized portions at good value for money. The staff are friendly and efficient too making a winning combination. I thoroughly recommend it and can't wait to return.Special Features:
- BarbarDined on 19/7/2014This restaurant continues to provide excellent interesting Sardinian food. Atmosphere is welcoming and service friendly and considerate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- something has changedLondonerDined on 12/7/2014I had visited Sardo at a number of occasions over the last seven years but then hadn't been for a while. This time around I was quite disappointed. It was the quality of the food that I think had changed. The dishes felt more plain and generic in taste. The staff was pleasant and helpful but the owner wasn't there and he usually gave a strong sense of identity to the place. Another indication that something must have changed was the fact that at 7pm on Saturday there were hardly anyone in the restaurant which made it feel very empty and a bit sad. In all honesty I didn't enjoy the restaurant that much and I don't think I will be going back.Special Features:
- Business meeting lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Sardo was very good. Food good and service and ambience good too. Will definitely use again. Thanks.Special Features:
- As always, deliciousGraceVIPDined on 8/7/2014I have eaten at Sardo a number of times. Each time, it lives up to expectations. Highly recommended. My favourite is the crab meat spaghetti with chilli oil.Special Features:
- SnugglewumpusDined on 26/6/2014We have been going to this restaurant over the last 2 years. Consistently good food. Excellent service and the staff are all extremely friendly and courteous whilst maintaining a professional approach at all times. Always busy when we go so worth booking. We always take friends or family there when visiting us in London and can thoroughly recommend for Lunch or DinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceMrBriffaDined on 25/6/2014This was occasion was for my fathers 69th birthday and it did not fail to impress. The booking was for 5 people on a Wednesday night, on arrival it became apparent this is a popular restaurant that had a very clean welcoming feeling about it. The staff are very attententive with out being over your shoulder and the food arrived in a timely manner. Over all it was a good experience with hearty portion sized courses. One down side and the only one really is the tiny bathroom facilities. If you like fresh well seasoned seafood with a relaxed atmosphere this has to be on your list of places to try! There are also many other great dishes that aren't seafood based so something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.