13 Sale place
London, W2 1PXNeighbourhood:
Southeast AsianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.satay-house.co.uk/
- Phone: 020 7723 6763
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southeast Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, WLAN available
- Catering: Please contact us and see if we can cater for you
A word from Satay House
Satay House, London's most established Malaysian restaurant effortlessly combines traditional recipes and family-run affability with modern culinary techniques and sleek contemporary design.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Satay House reviews from OpenTable diners
160 reviews since 27 November 2013
fit for foodies (81)group bookings (43)special occasions (36)outstanding value (36)good vegetarian options (36)business meals (29)romance (20)pre/post theatre (19)sunday lunch (17)child friendly (17)brunch (12)outdoor eating (2)disabled access (2)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- Fabulous Malsysain food at great priceSatayHouse1Dined on 21/11/2014We enjoyed a wonderful meal at the Satay House - the food is superb. The restaurant can be a bit cramped and the service patchy but that does not put us off from enjoying the food which is going there every time we visit London.I would recommend this to a friend.
- All of us enjoyed!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 21/11/2014I took two friends here and we all really enjoyed the food and received excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Malaysian CuisineEnjoy2dineVIPDined on 17/11/2014It is always a joy to return to Satay House the draw is the food but more importantly the service team are warm, friendly, passionate in what they do. The service team are an asset to the restaurant with their friendly, helpful approach and advice on the cusine. A place for anyone wanting to have some authentic Malay cusine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceDineOutDined on 16/11/2014We had booked a table Sunday 16th at 130pm Arrived on time. We were directed to the table and seated in the busy ground floor dining area. 10 mins sitting down we were then told the table was booked to someone else and told to sit downstairs. This was embarrassing infront of others. Downstairs was empty. We were seated. And when we decided to sit elsewhere in the empty downstairs area, the waitress wasn't too pleased and let it be known. Why did it matter where we sat if restaurant was empty downstairs. Then throughiut the service when serving I was very polite with her regardless of her negative almost angry looking persona. During our order she kept getting it wrong as well. Won't be returning for a while. Service matters to me. Tell your staff to smile regardless of who the customer is. It matters alot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious MalaysianJacCamVIPDined on 7/11/2014We look forward to coming here for dinner when catching a train from Paddington. Great satay, roti canai, and massive king prawns! It never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, not accommodatingtj12Dined on 4/11/2014I've been here twice now, the food is outstanding, but the service isn't. We ordered "Menu B" to share, and we asked if we could swap out one of the dishes and were told a flat out NO. It would be too much hassle for them to change it. We went with it anyway, but it meant that instead of sharing four dishes for the main course between the two of us we had two each. We even offered to pay extra to change one of the courses. I understand if it's a pain, but either say it's not possible in a slightly friendlier manner instead of shooting us down and coming across as rude, or how about being more accommodating and offering the option to change one of the dishes? All it takes, is some communication between front of house and kitchen to say so?
- Nice place, nothing extraordinaryLineDined on 18/10/2014The food was good, , quick delivery, good portions. Nice and clean place, but nothing extrapordinary.Special Features:
- Great Malaysian restaurantDalmatianVIPDined on 16/10/2014Satay house serves authentic Malaysian food. The satay is great, although the peanut sauce is slightly more dilute than it used to be. Great Malaysian dishes that remind me of home. The restaurant that serves the best Malaysian food that we have found in London. Very busy and tables rather close together, but waiters are efficient and friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the bestcullenskinkDined on 16/10/2014The food was ok and the staff were friendly but the small restaurant felt a bit choked with the burning joysticks! Thaw wine was nice but overall I didn't expect to pay over £60 for this dinner for two.Special Features:
- Old favourite never fails to pleaseNickDined on 12/10/2014I have been coming here for nearly 20 years. Food has always been consistent albeit a little on the pricey side. That aside, you do get what you pay for!Special Features:
- Satisfying authentic dishesiluveatingVIPDined on 5/10/2014I always look forward to the ikan assam pedas (warning: spicy, whole chilli used incl seeds) whenever dining at Satay House. The combination of shrimp, lemongrass, tamarind flavours are uniquely Malaysian in this fish curry and as authentic as the dish eaten in Malaysia. We had to request a vegetarian option for one of the dishes which the kitchen was happy to oblige after double checking our requirement. Staff were polite and friendly which makes dining here pleasant for our Sunday lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Malaysian dining!TheMark11Dined on 1/10/2014Good Malaysian food is hard to find in London. I searched hard for Satay House and was very pleased. The friendly staff, good decor and table arrangements add to it. I'll definitely be back, with the same friends and others. The restaurant has what I would call a 'very smart but welcoming feel' so is great for getting together with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourgeous food near PaddingtonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/9/2014I booked this restaurant as a surprise meal for my partner before boarding the night train to Penzance at Paddington, this restaurant provided just what we needed delicious food with excellent service promptly delivered and just a short walk from the station.Special Features:
- Casual but tasty diningVirginiaPVIPDined on 19/9/2014The menu at Satay House is so vast and appealing the best option seems to be the largest tasting menu, offered at a reasonable £30. This comes with enough goodies to keep us busy for several hours, the star of the show undoubtedly being the soto ayam, a light but intensely flavoured chicken soup with beansprouts, rice cubes and begedil. Also notable is the mutton mysore, a lamb in sweet tomato and spices, which we ate over a bed of nasi beriani rice good enough to have been eaten alone. The satay skewers which give the restaurant its name are also tasty and juicy, the lamb being the best version of the dish. Dessert goes a bit too Chinese-classic (banana fritters and ice cream), but jasmine tea is a lovely finish, included in the price.Special Features:
- Tasty foodLucyDined on 19/9/2014My boyfriend and I came across this place when looking for somewhere to eat before getting a train from Paddington. The food was really tasty and good value - I would recommend the fish curry! I would definately go back if I was in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food!BrandyboyDined on 9/9/2014The venue is small upstairs but perfectly formed and the food was a delight. I have to say it was one of the best lunches that I've had in London so would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Delicious3xsfoodiesDined on 6/9/2014This was our 3rd visit to the satay house and it just gets better each time. So many lovely dishes it's hard to make a choiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliance @ its best !!!YummyDined on 5/9/2014Service was great as usual, food was brilliant , I visit this restaurant 3 to 4 times a year and honestly the food quality is always great. Service level is also great, I hope this restaurant expands so more people and bigger groups can be accommodated ... booking a table here is highly recommended. Food is so tasty I just want to go back there again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best malaysian food in LondonenayzeeDined on 31/8/2014Always look forward to coming here. Excellent food, great service and great location. Always pleases the taste buds to enjoy authentic malay cuisine. Been coming here for years and it just gets better and better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MMORIDined on 31/8/2014Great restaurant with friendly staff and amazing food - all the dishes we ordered were of outstanding quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/8/2014Simply great food. Superb soup, good satay. Main courses tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic MalaysianEnjoy2dineVIPDined on 27/8/2014A place worth checking out to dine. The food is good a place to keep going back if one likes Malaysian food. Food is authentic and the best Malaysian in Central London. Service is friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Malay food fixMalaynutDined on 22/8/2014This is probably the 15th time I have been to Satay House and it didnt disappoint. I took 3 friends there who have never been. The only issue is 2 of them cannot take food that is too spicy and at Satay House that is a bit difficult to find. Hence i gave it 4 stars overall as : 1. will be good to have more dishes that we can customise the 'heat', without resorting to taking the non-spicy dishes. 2. this isnt really a complaint but i wish they can do the dishes in smaller portions as this is probably the 10th time I failed to find room for dessert.Special Features:
- Ambience place to dine inFoodluverDined on 16/8/2014Nice place, nice food especially fried kuey teow. But hard to find nearest car parkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MattDined on 15/8/2014I had the taster menu and it was delicious. I had some questions about the spice level of dishes and the waitress answered my questions carefully and helpfully. Each of the dishes was introduced and the presentation was excellent. I'm in no position to comment on the food's authenticity, but it's certainly delicious food delivered with care and style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food, smiling serviceMcEnallayDined on 12/7/2014We were longing for an authentic Malaysian meal with dishes that my husband would recognise from his Singapore childhood. This restaurant didn't disappoint. The waiter and waitress were friendly and efficient. The food arrived swiftly and was fresh and delicious. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Malaysian FoodEnjoy2dineVIPDined on 12/7/2014The food is good and at Satay House. Sevice is good. Place to return for Malaysians who want to dine on food from home. Menu is not large and the food carefully prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Malaysian FareEnjoy2dineVIPDined on 9/7/2014The food is good at Satay House and some of the dishes are authentic. Good to try is the Nasi Lemak, Nasi Goreng Kampung, Curry Laksa, Ice Kacang, Ayam Cili Api. Being away from the West End the location is a plus being in a quiet side street behind Edgware Road. A good place to dine on some authentic dishes with friendly service and unpretentious surroundings. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!ST2012Dined on 7/7/2014Visited this restaurant with my girlfriend. Simply a great restaurant all round. The food was brilliant and the service was very attentive and efficient. Would definitely be coming back here, and will be recommending this restaurant to my friends and family. 5 Stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Malaysian foodFoodfansDined on 29/6/2014Excellent food and service and good value..we will be returning for more!Special Features:
- Authentic foodexpatklDined on 29/6/2014I normally live in KL and took my daughter here as she is studying inthe the UK and is missing Malay food. The food is quite authentic, perhaps a bit milder than in Malaysia, and is reasonable value for London. Service was good and would go there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but hotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 21/6/2014Lovely food with delicious pieces of meat. Spices are well balanced but it is not for faint hearted! It is very hot!!! Would go again that is for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experienceSultan2GDined on 16/6/2014Booked a table for two,food was served promptly, and the service was excellent,it was hot,and tasted simply delicious, we will god willing definitely be coming back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Malaysian food in LondonAMartianDined on 16/6/2014Very authentic and extremely tasty Malaysian food. Even our Malaysian friends are impressed as the food is so great. Great little restaurant and a nice change when your palate is after something with a little bit of spice and beautiful flavours.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Malay foodMsMMDined on 31/5/2014The service was very good,I was running late and called ahead. The staff were able to accommodate us with no problems. We sat in the downstairs section, nice environment and very attentive staff. I have already recommended the restaurant, I look forward to my next meal. It's a nice intimate location with good public transport access.Special Features:
- nice place for tasty foodSRSRDined on 24/5/2014Food was nice, a tiny bit oily, we had a prawn coconut curry and spicy beef with peppers but other dishes may have been less so. Chicken satay was lovely, wish portions were bigger. Cozy place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MalaysianOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 20/5/2014I have been looking for a great Malaysian restaurant for ages in London and Satay House is it! Great food, large portions and good prices and we were happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is deliciousMaryDined on 16/5/2014If you want to try some authentic Malaysian food, this is a good place to go! The rendang is especially tasty!Special Features:
- Decent foodyklokeDined on 15/5/2014There's a good selection of dishes on the menu, so it can cater to a wide range of tastes. Some of the Malaysian dishes are more successfully cooked than others, so a bit hit and miss.Special Features:
- Authentic Malay Food in LondonFussyMalayDined on 14/5/2014As a native Malay I am naturally fussy about my food as Penang, where I come from, is the food capital of the world. Satay House food is authentically Malay and the service is excellent. That's why I always introduce my non-Malaysian friends to Satay House. They have been around for over 30 years and the quality of food is consistently good. When I have a birthday celebration I choose the alcove downstairs where you feel like you are the only ones there. The restaurant is also great for a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.