Sen Nin Japanese Teppanyaki & Sushi Restaurant - Islington
206 Upper Street
London, N1 1RQNeighbourhood:
JapanesePrice: £25 and under
Sen Nin Japanese Teppanyaki & Sushi Restaurant - Islington
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sen-nin.com/islington/
- Phone: 02077041890x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday
12 noon to 3 pm
5 pm to 11 pm
Friday - Saturday
12 noon until 11.30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese, Contemporary Asian, Pan-Asian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Entertainment: Open Live Kitchen
Chef's Cooking in front of Customers
- Public Transit:
Highbury & islington Undergroundstation
Essex Rd Overgroundstation
Angel Tube Station
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street Parking
NCP Angel Car Park near Hilton Hotel
Free Street Parking after 1.30pm on Saturday and Sunday (except on matchdays)
Free Street Parking after 6.30pm on Monday to Friday (except on matchdays)
A word from Sen Nin Japanese Teppanyaki & Sushi Restaurant - Islington
Sen Nin is a contemporary Japanese Teppanyaki, Robata and Pan Asian Restaurant in the heart of Islington. Being Islington's first and oldest Japanese Restaurant, Sen Nin has recently undergone a full refurbishment featuring a centrally located Teppanyaki (Hibachi Grill), Robata (Japanese BBQ). Sushi Counter and Wok Station. We also have an exclusive Chef's Teppanyaki Table where you can sit in front of the Chef who will entertain you and watch your food being cooked in front of you. From our open live kitchen you can see the Chefs prepare all the dishes in full view of all diners. A full range of contemporary Pan Asian and Japanese favourites such as Thai Green Curry, Wagyu Beef and Black Cod . Chilled or hot sake is a must on the side, or you can choose from their range of Japanese inspired cocktails made from Premium Spirits. Whilst seated in the main restaurant, you can select from our A la Carte Menu or if seated on the Teppanyaki Table, you will select from a Chef's Table Menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sen Nin Japanese Teppanyaki & Sushi Restaurant - Islington reviews from OpenTable diners
148 reviews since 1 November 2013
group bookings (42)outstanding value (30)special occasions (29)romance (29)good vegetarian options (26)fit for foodies (26)sunday lunch (21)business meals (19)child friendly (18)pre/post theatre (15)disabled access (9)brunch (6)outdoor eating (3)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- Lovely eveningKickiDined on 20/10/2014The food was great and the portion sizes were big, very good value with the 50% discount.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid optionDellemiDined on 17/10/2014We went there last minute as we had a large group arriving from outside London. Solid option with the meats off the grill being a standout. Only letdown was the portion size of the miso aubergine which was not a filling main for one, just 4 1cm slices instead of the typical 1/2. I think you get the best out of it by ordering a few plates to share. With the 50% off open table the bill came to 15 each - a real winner given we had shared entrees, a boozy beverage & main each.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good with offeraxieDined on 11/10/2014The food was good but would have been expensive without offer. Service was not really good and we had to ask for the offer to be counted on the billSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50% off mains - hard to beat!bradennDined on 11/10/2014Four of us went for dinner last Saturday and had a great evening. Food was good and staff were very friendly. Apparently it's just been refurbished and décor / ambience was good too. Best of all was 50% off main courses although I'd probably go again anyway as good value.Special Features:
- Great fun and great foodSpritzFansDined on 4/10/2014The Teppenaki grill is great fun and the food is very good. The chef is entertain in be the staff very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not really Japaneseliam2Dined on 17/9/2014Shouldn't present as Japanese cuisine but so-called Pan-Asian. Food is ok, nothing special or pleasing to eye or taste.Special Features:
- Below average quality & over pricedEgret00Dined on 26/8/2014Went on 50%-off Tuesday and no exaggeration to say even paying half price for two people this wasn't good value for the quality of the food. Starters were average. For main a black cod normally at £22, this was good but even paying £11 was generous for what it was. Other main a teppanyaki chicken but was a very poor meal despite being a teppanyaki restaurant. No flavour at all in the chicken or much else either apart from a thick very sweet bland sauce and some undercooked peppers. Service was perfectly fine, decor and ambience had the feel of a standard charmless chain. If you do intend to try it definitely go on a Tuesday with the discount as any other time you're paying far over the odds for what is actually a pretty poor experience.
- AveragefoodieDined on 11/8/2014On this Tuesday night, the place was quite empty -- about 20% full. Despite that, service was slow and food wasn't particularly hot. Value was only alright given the discount, but I'd struggle to see myself coming back happily at full price hours. It seems that this place makes it buck during lunchtimes.
- Sen NindoctorEWDined on 9/8/2014Dinner with family on a sat night. Not too busy. Tried the full compliment of starters and the black cod and wagu. Outstanding food - fresh and cooked to perfection. The only downside was the soba noodles which were too salty. I would have to say the value for money is exceptional. We go to NOBU regularly and the cod here is 95% as good. Recommended +++
- ..KachiDined on 8/8/2014The restaurant has very fast service and the food was especially tasty.Special Features:
- Shocking serviceRogN1Dined on 5/8/2014Our order was promptly but our first course did not arrive until 50 min later. Then our three starters each arrived 5 mins apart! This was their 50% off night so I am sure that the kitchen was very busy. This does not however explain why it took asking three different servers to get 4 glasses of tap water to go with our other drinks! They would listen to our request and then when they had moved away from the table they would start to do another job and forget about us! As the food was so salty we also wanted our water refilled and this took another 2 requests, one waiter even filled a jug and started walking towards us (we were 1m away from the bar) before turning it around and placing it behind the bar for 5 mins. Wouldn't recommend.
- Delicious as always!LadyLizDined on 26/7/2014My husband and I dine here frequently. The restaurant is usually very busy but this Sunday perhaps due to the weather it was very quiet. We were welcomed and had a fantastic service and amazing food which was all half price due to the deal they were offering through Opentable. Cannot fault this place and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 17/7/2014Great fresh food and lovely waiting staff. Really enjoy eating here Would recommend it to anyone looking for somewhere to eat in Upper Street. As well as good Sushi their hot food isalways good value and the seafood is spectacular.Special Features:
- service needs to be improvedLuv2dineDined on 7/7/2014would not go here on a normal day - booked 50% off offer and went for dinner. was quiet but service was slow. also, the pork ribs which came was as hard as rock ans not fresh at all. will be good for a group dinner with the discount.Special Features:
- Great value with 50% offElorac55Dined on 4/7/2014We took the 50% off food deal for a Friday night dinner. We were impressed with the quality of the sushi- very fresh and delicious! Without the 50% off deal, food would be too expensive for the average dinner so it was a great time to try the Waygu beef which was excellent. Great hot main course options- yummy deserts - would definitely recommend."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better but not brilliantPuddingDined on 1/7/2014booked table for 5pm, was empty so had a good service and food was served quick. Still not piping hot though. They have minimised the menu massively for the 50% of f Tuesdays. Still good value for money but had to ask for the bill to be taken back as they hadn't taken the discount off. Would go back just on Tuesdays and for the sushi.
- Buffet is good value for moneybuffetloverDined on 29/6/2014We tried the all-you-can-eat buffet on a Sunday and the offer is good enough for the price, but it is a one-off try. I'd go back to try their a la carte menu because flavour wise it was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good overall,disappointing startersyummyDined on 26/6/2014Mains good though squid starter very chewy and tempura portion on the small side
- makingmemories4Dined on 20/6/2014All was wonderful. Had the rice portions been large I would have awarded outstanding. Leaving a restaurant hungry after paying over £70 is not a comfortable feeling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feel a bit cheatedDannnnDined on 18/6/2014Food was nice at Sen Nin but it was lacking elsewhere. Service was a bit weird; 5 different servers who were a bit cold. Decor was clean and quite glitzy but overall ambiance was a bit cold. Biggest problem was that we were screwed over on the bill. We booked the 50% off food deal through OpenTable and also took advantage of the 2 for 1 cocktail offer they were running on the night. It was only when the bill came (without any discounts at all) that we were informed we couldn't use both offers at the same time, which we reluctantly accepted. Then the food discount on the 2nd bill wasn't anywhere near enough which we didn't notice until afterwards (our fault). We probably would have come back on the 50% deal, but not after that.
- Good food!ChrisDined on 13/6/2014The food was delicious, the sushi was yummmiiii!!, the staff very friendly, the only thing I would suggest is to make the atmosphere a bit more welcoming, more like a warm feeling ... lights were too bright and made the restaurant look and feel like a fast food restaurant.Special Features:
- Sen Nin Islingtoncatn1Dined on 11/6/2014We had a great birthday dinner for my 10 year old son, with 17 diners. The staff were super welcoming and helpful. Food lovely. CatSpecial Features:
- Good for pre-theatrebillyVIPDined on 10/6/2014Great for pre-theatre on a Tuesday. Competent although rather pan-asian than specific.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/6/2014Really good value for money - tasty food and very attentive staff.
- PeskieDined on 29/5/2014Disapointingly our waiter was overbearing when he shouln't have been and nowhere to be found when required. The food is OK, but I doubt it should be called a Japanese Restaurant as the menu covers panasian dishes. Astonishingly for an early dinner reservation of 18:15 on a Thursday we were told that they had already run out of one of the starters.
- YumFishLoverDined on 24/5/2014The food had great flavour! The Teppanyaki was excellent and a very good sixed portion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LHLH00Dined on 23/5/2014The food at Sen Nin was hit and miss. The Black Cod was very good, the pork ribs were very very poor. Seems like they were re heated, they were dry and tastless. The Sushi/Sashimi was ok but not spectacular. Without the 50% discount it would not have been worth it.
- Superb service and excellent foodCliff1805Dined on 16/5/2014I booked to eat here with my partner at 8.30 on a busy Friday evening in Islington. We were greeted by a very friendly member of staff and seated immediately. We chose fried baby squid and seafood salad for starters and Teriyake Salmon and Chicken Fillet for the main course and side dishes of noodles and mixed . vegetables. Although these were not the most adventurous choices all were excellent. To drink we had a very acceptable Pinot Grigio. The staff could not have been more attentive and all were extremely friendly. We were both agreed we would definitely return to this restaurant in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly staffMilanDined on 13/5/2014good place to dine**** attentive service, new and cleaned restaurant in good placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dealCT22VIPDined on 9/5/2014If you can take advatage of the 50% off you will be a very happy customer. Good quality food, service and great value. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Best Prawn Penang I've Had!RoseandNightingaleDined on 8/5/2014Another delicious meal at Sen Nin in Islington. The Prawn Penang Curry is one of my favourite things to eat, real warming comfort food. We did feel however that the quality of the dishes, the vegetable side in particular, was not as good as it has been in the past, with no bok choi at all. Rather we were served some quite limp green beans, 5-10 minutes before our main arrived. I wonder if the slightly sub-standard food was down to having booked with a 50% off food deal, though I do hope not & it has not been the case in the past. Not great tonight, but the Penang curry will keep me coming back regardless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi at half priceAPAPDined on 5/5/2014Can't argue with that. I will certainly be back as long as the TT deal is running.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambienceBoarderDined on 2/5/2014Nice to be in a spacious Japanese restaurant compared to many that are cramped around London. The prices are only reasonable with the TT 50% off otherwise they would be quite expensive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good party placeEnaTiDined on 1/5/2014These guys looked after my party very well. Everyone agreed the food and service were very good, we chose from the set menu. The restaurant was very well decorated with a nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- Disappointed with servicePuddingDined on 29/4/2014It was a Tuesday which has 50% off food & drink so expected it to be busy. We were seated at 6:30pm & ordered sushi for starters. We were told there would be a 30 min wait if we didnt order mains straight away which was fine. Sushi was lovely as usual. We ordered the mains at 7:30pm. We waited & waited. Were constantly asked if we wanted drinks but no sign of food. When we saw others had arrived after us & had eaten we asked where our food was. We were told it was on its way & would we like more drinks. This happened again 30 mins later. Our food arrived just after 10pm and it was cold. We questions why but was given a lame excuse. Had to wait for it all to be re-cooked. Felt like they were trying to ply us with cocktails. Not impressed!I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodBittDined on 27/4/2014goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooodSpecial Features:
- Very poorCarrie2099Dined on 26/4/2014The rice was cold. A £14.50 dish had only 4 small prawns. One dish tasted of nothing but salt. The wine we ordered was not available and the one in its place was not great. Service was average. When we complained, it was not accepted immediately.
- Makes a nice changekilburncatDined on 21/4/2014Helpful if not effusive service, we very much enjoyed out good value meal and the TT offer meant wagyu beef was on the menu. Plentiful, and delicious desserts. Cocktails made with sake less successful than when made conventionally, but you might love 'em.
- First time what a best timeLisarDined on 21/4/2014Sen nin is a new fashioned and stylist restaurant just off angel street. It offers an encyclopaedic choice of multi food plus enormous sushis. The welcome and service is warm, friendly, hospitable and efficient without being officious or familiar. The food that arrives is excellent, clearly cooked to order and from good, sensible ingredients except for the crispy baby squid which was just ok. The 50% off from from ala cart menu is a great idea that should be always on! The drinks list is very interesting and excellent and varied but bit pricey . A charming waitress invited us to come back for sushi buffet/super tuesday and honestly she was so great for explaining about all offers. And we will come back soon.Special Features:
- DMidooDined on 18/4/2014I've been going to sen nin for a few times already and the food & the services are consistently excellent. The staff are super friendly and we were greeted like long lost friends even though we hadn't visited in a few weeks. Only comment would be that the portions are too less and that can sometimes feel a bit pricey! prawn tempura, pandan chicken, prawn curry, veg dumpling and grill lamb particularly recommended but not a thai noodle. we also had few cocktails and they were all great specially long island ice tea and white garden. i have already done an other booking for next month for 6 of us and we are very excited for that moment and that will be a surprise party my partner. Sennin we will see you in a month time and thanks a lots.Special Features: