82 St Aldates
Oxford, OX1 1RANeighbourhood:
ChinesePrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shanghai30s.com/
- Phone: 01865 242230
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 6:00pm; Dinner: Modnay - Sunday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dim Sum, Chinese
- Executive Chef: George Lee
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Shanghai 30's outside catering. Ranging from wedding buffets to intimate dinners in your own home. Our outside catering service is suitable for clubs, events, family celebrations and casual/formal dining. We offer food supply only or provide a fully staffed service.
For Shanghai 30's to offer outside catering to you is sometimes easier and cost effective than going out for lunch - so we come and set up the buffet for you! We cover a wide range of different events, such as:
• Business lunches
• Birthdays/for both adults and children
- Private Party Facilities: Over 50 years The Elizabeth built a reputation for serving quite simply the best food in Oxford and its name is still synonymous with quality. Shanghai 30's are very much continuing that tradition and an elegant and refined atmosphere is exuded throughout this graceful Chinese restaurant. There are two dining rooms; the larger one is classy and stylish and more than capable of hosting the most ostentatious banquet whilst the other is a cosy panelled room offering a snug and inviting ambiance.
- Private Party Contact: George 01865 242230
- Special Events: By booking with OpenTable, you can get the following options:
Any time at lunch time, you can get 50% off your food bill.
Book before 7pm for dinner on the same day and you could get a "buy one get one free" main course only for a party of 8 people maximum.
A word from Shanghai 30's
The name Shanghai means “on the sea” and the city lies on the east coast of China, just south of the Yangtze river. In the 30's, Shanghai was called the “ Paris of the Orient”. It was a place of shows, restaurants, clubs and gambling to keep you from getting lonely. People from all over the world were throwing themselves into the Shanghai parties. It was these new immigrants who fuelled the fantastically opulent and innovative dinning culture in the town – a huge and varied range of different cuisines were being introduced to the city, while native food was being subsequently transformed into a taste and a style of west meets east in order to compete. Shanghai, was one of the melting pots of the gourmet world during the 30's. Situated in this 15th century building, Shanghai 30's cuisine is based on the both classic and contemporary dishes of Shanghai and the surrounding areas - Shaoxing and Yangchow, but also includes some of the most popular dishes from Sichuan.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Shanghai 30's reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since 25 November 2013
fit for foodies (5)special occasions (5)pre/post theatre (4)romance (4)good vegetarian options (3)group bookings (3)outstanding value (2)business meals (1)afternoon tea (1)sunday lunch (1)Show More
- great food in a beautiful buildingRowierowDined on 23/11/2014Love Shanghai 30's. Has a great atmosphere and the food is always delicious. The service is always warm and friendly and they can't do enough for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Value and viewsOldskin2Dined on 1/11/2014Lovely little place overlooking Christchurch with a nice choice of food and excellent staff. Good for the smaller group but not disabled friendly as its upstairs. We enjoyed the Lunch time menu which was good value for money and very tasteful. Would certainly use again when visiting Oxford.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 19/10/2014Lovely service, great value for money. Possibly the best Chinese restaurant I've ever been to.Special Features:
- Chinese delightMistyDined on 6/8/2014I have eaten here many times and the quality and taste of the food never disappoints. There are ample choices, well priced and quality meals. The staff are always friendly and attentive but never rushed you have time to enjoy and relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time TravelnicknameDined on 15/7/2014The rooms are nicely decorated making you feel like you entered a living room from the 30's and even after some time you still discover another nice detail in the interior design. The menu is gigantic and reading through all the different dishes is an event for itself. We can recommend to start with the "Hors D’oeuvre Platter" as this gives you a nice sampling of the different styles. The food was very tasty and delicious, overall we had a very pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shanghai 30s March 2014BanglesDined on 9/3/2014Service was generally prompt and friendly. Food was delicious although quite hot/spicy, more than expected! Decent portion sizes. Good range of choices. Would've been nice to have more wines available by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Agree with prev review - too sweetIllusioDined on 19/12/2013BF and I both have sweet tooth, hence picking the dishes we did. But a dish needs balance, and these were just overly sugary with no chilli/garlic/soy balancing flavours. Not food I'd choose again
- The following 464 reviews are from the Shanghai 30's reviews archive.
- A Great Experience!BelindaDined on 15/5/2013Do not be put off by the entrance to Shanghai's as it is not immediately obvious, or particularly attractive, but once you get up the stairs it is a fascinating place. Loved the retro photos and the feel of being in a Shanghai club of the 30;s era. When we arrived for lunch it was quiet, but soon filled up with couples and students who were taking advantage of the £10 set menu. We ate from the extensive menu, my husband had an assortment of fish and I the sizzling beef. Both were excellent, and the wine by the glass was reasonably priced and of good quality. I would not hesitate in recommending it and if only we lived nearer would be regular diners!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The real dealProfDavidBDined on 13/9/2012Looking for REAL Chinese food in Oxford then look no further. Great food Excellent service nice surroundings and no more expensive than a Basic Chinese. Even got decent champagne at a sensible price. We will be back ......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodJossmanDined on 3/6/2012Have dined at this restaurant several times. The food is fantastic and so is the setting. However, the old nature of the building means it gets cold sometimes. As the dishes are not sitting on warming plates, this also means that your food also gets cold if you do not eat it quickly. Addition of some warming plates for the tables would make this a perfect experience!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shanghai 30's is a real gemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 22/5/2012Shanghai 30's is a real gem of a restaurant with great food and great service it is always a delightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imaginative ChinesepuralexmilesDined on 5/5/2012Not your average Chinese - real cuisine - not a sweet and sour hong kong ball in sight! Get the street dumplings - delish!Special Features:
- Shanghai 30's 82 St Aldates,deniDined on 4/5/2012Shanghai 30's 82 St Aldates, Oxford, OX1 1RA Reliable as usual; was pleased to see the place busy.
- Shanghai 30's 82 St Aldates,deniDined on 27/4/2012Shanghai 30's 82 St Aldates, Oxford, OX1 1RA Reliable as always.
- Really great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 23/4/2012Amazing food! Amazing music and amazing prices! You won't regret this experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 8 stars for food 7 stars forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/4/20128 stars for food 7 stars for rice 6 star for service....
- Great atmosphere and goodYtableDined on 8/4/2012Great atmosphere and good food. Only critique was a recommendation for a not very good item off the lunch menu ; Sichuan noodles tasted like over cooked pasta...
- I had a thoroughly enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/4/2012I had a thoroughly enjoyable lunch at Shanghai 30s in Oxford on the 6th. Both my guest and I found the traditional Chinese dishes tasty and filling. This restaurant has become my favourite in the area, and I am looking forward to my next meal there!
- Shanghai 30's 82 St Aldates,deniDined on 4/4/2012Shanghai 30's 82 St Aldates, Oxford A great place to take someone new - they're never disappointed. Service a little over enthusiastic - the main course arrived half way through the first...
- We visited the Shanghai 30'speachesVIPDined on 1/4/2012We visited the Shanghai 30's for lunch in Oxford on Sunday. Delicious food, well prepared, very nice service and a wonderfully quirky decor and language recordings in the loo. Very fun!
- Shanghai 30's, OX1 1RA. WelcomingnonnymouseDined on 26/3/2012Shanghai 30's, OX1 1RA. Welcoming staff - a nice change from the usual Chinese restaurant surliness. A range of unusual dishes, but all too sweet for my taste. The audio language tape in the loos is a bit of a surprise.
- We booked a party of 12 forOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 25/3/2012We booked a party of 12 for Sunday evening at Shanghai 30's in Oxford and were delighted with the occasion. The food was the best bit - we chose a selection of starters and main courses from the menu rather than the set meals, and were not disappointed. Especially good were the spare ribs and almond chicken starters and the lychee pork and sticky beef main courses. Very sweet but not cloying. Excellent wines too.
- Shanghai 30's Oxford GreatdeniDined on 23/3/2012Shanghai 30's Oxford Great as always - a pleasure to take friends too. A well deserved Michelin 2012 recommendation.
- food was nice apart from thelovetodineatRouxDined on 17/3/2012food was nice apart from the chilli boiled fish - too pricy for the quality
- Fantastic Chinese food! OurOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 15/3/2012Fantastic Chinese food! Our prawn toasts arrived complete with head and tail, which was a lovely touch. Can also thoroughly recommend the mango duck, sizzling beef and satay chicken. Such great value with the 2 for 1 offer on mains!
- Pork a la Shanghai was absolutelymelliollaDined on 14/3/2012Pork a la Shanghai was absolutely superb- moist and falling to pieces. The flaming chicken and rice was a bit dry; the other dishes were good. The wine was excellent. The restaurant itself is beautifully decorated and has excellent ambience. With regards to the service, our waitress was wonderful and very charming, although the other two who on occasion served us lacked manners and took a long time to do the bill. Dishes are around £8, but each person needs 2 dishes as they're quite small.
- Althought the decor is a littleShezDined on 11/3/2012Althought the decor is a little worn, the atmosphere was good and the service attentive. The food was terrific. We were a party of 4 and we all enjoyed our meals and would highly recommend to other diners.
- Amazing food, i have neverOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2012Amazing food, i have never tasted chinese food like this. Pretty good value with the 50% off mains - 2 dim dum, 2 mains and a bottle of wine £35. We'll be going back soon!
- Very much enjoyed our mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2012Very much enjoyed our meal there - food was very tasty and the service was good. The decor is quite surreal but nonetheless definitely adds to the experience. I would recommend.
- From the hustle and bustleNbn57Dined on 3/3/2012From the hustle and bustle of tourists and students on the street outside, you step back into 1930's Shanghai. The decor does not disappoint and the food certainly excels. Service is attentive but unobtrusive. Definitely try the dim-sum - the best I've had in a long while (Yum Chow in Singapore) Presentation of dishes is impeccable, but will someone please do something about the western music. Definitely worth a visit if budget allows - if just to learn Chinese in the toilets.
- Shanghai 30's, next to theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/3/2012Shanghai 30's, next to the famous Alice in Wonderland shop in Oxford. We came for lunch on a weekday at 2pm so the restaurant was pretty empty. Very old-fashioned interior, which gives a warm feel to the room, very attentive service and a very attractive TT offer: 50% off mains (note: does not apply to appetizers, Dim Sum menu or side dishes). Mains (Lemon Chicken Deluxe and Pineapple Chicken) were flavourful but a bit heavy and very sugary. Would maybe recommend rather for a dinner date out.
- Shanghai 30s, Oxford: HadTS87Dined on 25/2/2012Shanghai 30s, Oxford: Had a very tasty lunch for two from the dim sum set menu (wonton soup, four types of dim sum and a drink for £10.50). Service was good though a little slow, but we weren't in a terrible hurry so it didn't matter too much. Would definitely eat there again and would recommend.
- Shanghai 30's Oxford ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 19/2/2012Shanghai 30's Oxford Excellent Chinese food in a cosy atmosphere.
- Shanghai 30's, Oxford: FoodAllyPallyDined on 18/2/2012Shanghai 30's, Oxford: Food was good but not exceptional. Service was helpful but a little slow.
- Shanghai 30's 82 St Aldates,deniDined on 17/2/2012Shanghai 30's 82 St Aldates, Oxford, OX1 1RA Great music added to great food and attentive service.
- The for was good, the servingsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 14/2/2012The for was good, the servings were generous. Even though interior could do with some updating and dusting, the service was fast, accommodating and pleasant.
- Shanghai 30's in Oxford wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 13/2/2012Shanghai 30's in Oxford was a great place to have a quiet meal where you could relax and enjoy some good, reasonably priced food. The quality of the food was exceptionnal and the service was appreciated as they left you alone most of the time.
- The restaurant is locatedbeckdineDined on 12/2/2012The restaurant is located just over the road from Christchurch college and has good views across the property. Waitresses were very welcoming and attentive throughout so very happy with service. The food was nice and good value with the 50% off main courses deal, however it didnt blow me away and whilst it was a nice lunch, it wasnt really anything to write home about.
- Great food, good atmosphere,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2012Great food, good atmosphere, very helpful and nice staff, excellent value for money. I would definitively recommend!
- What a lovely place! SituatedgrhydianDined on 3/2/2012What a lovely place! Situated upstairs next to the Alice in Wonderland shop, the shabby chic of the dining room sets the mood perfectly. The service is discreet yet attentive, and the prices do not reflect the sheer mastery of the kitchen. Especial favourites are the champagne and honey glazed spare ribs, the pork à la Shanghai (pieces of belly pork stewed in Shaoxin wine - think Drunken Chicken but better) and the simply amazing dam dam mien (noodles). A return visit is a must!