King's Cross Filling Station
London, N1C 4URNeighbourhood:
InternationalPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shrimpys.co.uk/
- Phone: 02088806111x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12-3pm & 5.30-10pm
Saturday & Sunday: 12-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International
- Executive Chef: Tom Collins
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Through our sister company, Waddington Collins, we can cater anywhere that you can imagine. From leafy gardens, or multi storey car park roofs to disused book depositories and winding Eighteenth century tunnels under London from four to four hundred guests our experienced team will rise to the challenge. Recent clients include Artforum, Mercedes Benz, Nike, ASOS and Harpers Bazaar. We also provide studio and location catering for some of the worlds leading photographers through our partnership with Big Sky Studios.
A word from Shrimpy's
Housed in The King"s Cross Filling Station, a disused petrol station transformed by architects Carmody Groarke.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Eating
- Diners' Choice WinnerInternational
Shrimpy's - Best restaurants in King's Cross ›
Shrimpy's reviews from OpenTable diners
232 reviews since 1 November 2013
outdoor eating (128)fit for foodies (103)brunch (53)special occasions (51)romance (50)group bookings (34)sunday lunch (27)business meals (22)good vegetarian options (21)pre/post theatre (16)disabled access (13)outstanding value (7)child friendly (6)afternoon tea (5)Show More
- Kings place mustsgxxVIPDined on 27/10/2014The only thing that would improve shrimpys is making it easier to locate the entrance as its all a bit mysterious. I loved the quirky decor, attentive service and southern & South america fusion dishes, the humita was so tasty! Would love to go back for cocktailsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unassuming building, great foodspecialagentCKDined on 14/10/2014I've now visited Shrimpy's twice, which gives you an idea of the quality of its food. You could easily walk right by the place, which is small and has a nondescript facade (I think I read somewhere that it is housed inside a temporary structure that was later made permanent). It's got kind of a mid-20th-century American vibe, with links to the American South-West--as evidenced not only by the hand-drawn paintings on the wall and the cacti in the window, but also by the flavours on the menu. Shrimpy's serves stuff influenced by Mexican-American cuisine, such as hibiscus lemonade and, my favorite, humita (a sweet mashed corn dish). The menu isn't huge--about a half-dozen dishes and then a handful of burgers--but it's really tasty stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 14/10/2014Great place to eat over summer as a big outside space, food was good though it could do with another veggie option.Special Features:
- overpricedalexDined on 12/10/2014The location and innovative use of the space is great. I heard great things about the softshell crab burgers but unfortunately they were too dominated by heavy batter and the large bun for the delicate flavour to cut through. Over £50 for 2 burgers, a side each and a drink is far too expensive especially as much of this extra comes from the tactic of separate charge for sides combined with 12.5% service.Special Features:
- Great spot in KXKatideeDined on 9/10/20145 of us had lunch here. We had cheeseburgers (delicious) soft shell crab burgers (amazing, especially with the guacamole), fries (crispy) and macaroni cheese (gooey with a little kick). It was all very tasty and the cocktails weren't bad either. Service was attentive and the heaters on the terrace made a sunny autumn day by the canal even more enjoyable. Recommended!Special Features:
- Great food, and great service.LEETDined on 27/9/2014The restaurant outdoor area is nice, the inside is a bit small and leaves something to be desired, but it's more than made up for by the delicious food, and really great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!tinnedpilchardDined on 26/9/2014Keep it open as long as you can because there is something magical about Shrimpy'sI would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!MissJonesDined on 26/9/2014Great atmosphere, interesting food and drinks menu and a nice location. Sitting out doors on the patio really felt nice.Special Features:
- Sunset at Shrimpy'smemacVIPDined on 22/9/2014Shrimpy's terrace by the canal on the back of King's Cross station is a pleasant and relaxed place for some food and a drink with friends.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 20/9/2014Didn't really get the soft shell crab burgers thing. They just seemed like batter to me! If it wasn't for the toppings they'd be totally tastless. Puddings pretty fun of the mill as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice little spot by Regent's CanalMagliteDined on 13/9/2014Shrimpy is not the Mexican place you'd except, which in a way was quite a good surprise as Mexican places can sometimes be quite tacky. The food menu has strong Latino connotations though you can still order the usual cheeseburger (I didn't dare ordering the double one, which was as high as a building really). I loved the Jimaca & orange salad, unusual and tasty. The Wild mushrooms mole arepa wasn't available on the day I went (out of 6 mains in total I thought that was quite disappointing) but the quality of the products made up for. I didn't get to try any cocktails but the list was as long as it was appealing :) You can sit outside on long tables with friends and family right by Regents Canal. That's a massive plus! I'll be back.Special Features:
- Fantastic eveningDebraDined on 12/9/2014We sat outside under a heater lamp and had a thoroughly fun evening with friends - definitely order the soft shell crab burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GingerooDined on 12/9/2014Great food that's a bit different, and super delicious. One of my fave London restaurants.Special Features:
- Softshell Crabs, imaginative sidessDateDined on 7/9/2014Nice place, pretty decent value. Food is rather outstanding if you consider the fact that the restaurant is located on a temporary site inside what used to be a petrol station. We ordered their fresh lemonades, the softshell crab burgers and the pozole. The humitas and spicy slaw sides were both excellent. Menus and brand are beautifully crafted. Service is attentive, there were lots of staff on hand for the numbers of customers present. I can definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Good atmosphere, unique location.HuvtDined on 6/9/2014Food was enjoyed by all. Interesting setting and a unique idea. Great to see the location changing and to walk around before Nd after mel.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food and atmosphereKatieADined on 6/9/2014The restaurant is located 3 minutes’ walk from King's Cross. The area is still under development which looks promising. The restaurant inside is rather small but they have a very large outside seating area with heaters. The food was amazing we had the octopus salad, seabass ceviche, hot chicken wings, lobster burger and steak. Everything was of great quality and tasted amazing. The steaks were mouth-watering! Definitely a good choice for casual lunch or dinner with friend!Special Features:
- Great for Sunday brunchchunkbDined on 24/8/2014Shrimpy's worked out really well fir three of us who wanted an early lunch/ late brunch in the Granary Square and Kings Cross area. Food was perfect and the staff very attentive and helpful. We sat outside as the weather was reasonable and the location canal side provided a pleasant Sunday lunchtime backdrop. Thoroughly recommend the soft shell crab burger and the frickles in particular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shrimpy's Pop-Up DreamGastronaut108Dined on 9/8/2014Yet again, Shrimpys was an absolute delight. A real one -off. Food is nothing short of exceptional, atmosphere unusually enjoyable, music great, service fabulous... The staff are just charming & so helpful & the whole place is so pretty, & quirkily decorated. Cal-Mex cuisine is of such good quality it would be hard to find better anywhere over here. We will be back, again & again. Long Live Shrimpy's!Special Features:
- Another Amazing night @ ShrimpysTastebudsVIPDined on 7/8/2014Food is always fresh and tasty, the space is quirky and perfectly comfortable, the atmosphere is so buzzy and the service is one of the best - casual yet super on the ball, polished and friendly. Love this place :)Special Features:
- Love ShrimpysTraffsDined on 7/8/2014Shrimpy's is so unique and a great quirky location! Great good - try the soft shell crab burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice foodemanuelaVIPDined on 2/8/2014the location is very nice alongside the canal. the atmosphere is good and the food is delicious.Special Features:
- I love Shrimpys!CRUAZVIPDined on 29/7/2014Have been there twice now and it doesn't disappoint - very cocktail is great, everything I've tried on the menu is great and the staff are super friendly. Soft shell crab burger - heaven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Lovely foodShelley1VIPDined on 23/7/2014The food at Shrimpy's is great, the hot chicken wings had a fantastic flavour although were overpriced for the size and number you get. The crab burger was also amazing. Would definitely go againSpecial Features:
- Lovely, accommodating serviceBirthdayHostDined on 18/7/2014The charming lady who served us was incredibly accommodating as we changed our reservation details at the last minute, made good recommendations from the menu and was very tolerant of our messy baby. A lovely summer afternoon with good fresh food.Special Features:
- Lunch on a sunny daysrahDined on 18/7/2014Interesting venue, behind an old filling station with a view over the canal. Went with client, not sure that I would use for a business lunch again but certainly would go with friends. Really good food, service very good with helpful and friendly staff. Slightly expensive for what it is but that's life I guess.....I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canalside Dining at its FinestbobchocoDined on 15/7/2014Perfect place to have a cold beer and crab tempura burger on a hot summers evening, it was buzzing on a Tuesday evening, inside and out.Special Features:
- Thoroughly enjoyedKingseatDined on 14/7/2014Lovely evening spent on they terrace with good food and wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints...TastebudsVIPDined on 12/7/2014Shrimpys is the perfect venue - great location, fuss free, & very cool, chilled ambience, really nice staff, and great food - sadly I hear it may be closing soon - big loss to the area. Thanks Shrimpys! Don't change :)Special Features:
- DisapointedPhilVIPDined on 11/7/2014This was my second visit and probably bnow my last. It felt like the care and quality was gone and this was reflected by the empty tables even on a Friday night. My fried chicken with corn in the cob was just that.......moist chicken in a bland and soggy coating with corn. The crab burger was more of a success, so at least they haven't lost that high point from the menu. But sadly the cocktails too were off the mark. It feels like the hype and success has made them complacent, and standards have dropped to way below the quality expected for the price.
- Friendly, Fun & FantasticBunarellaDined on 4/7/2014On arrival there's an outside bar that serves snacks with seats along the canal, a patio for alfresco dining but we went inside for a table for two – they also accommodate customers along the bar inside. The food was very good, we tried the meat options on the menu (my friend is not a fan of seafood). He absolutely enjoyed his meal with lots of hmmm with every mouthful. I tried the seafood offerings on a previous visit, that too was equaly yummy (their signature dish of Soft Shell Crab Burger although very good and come recommended in other reviews, I preferred other dishes more). Side dishes are a must. The staff were super and all come with a genuine smile and bags of helpfulness. Worth every penny, go have fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed, tucked away hideawayCNNNDined on 29/6/2014Had a lovely brunch here, would have been even nicer if the sun had been shining. Ugly, modern street frontage belied the cute little hideaway behind. Relaxed environment (really good background music!) and really friendly service. Recommend the gorgeous octopus and chorizo. Little pricey than I would have preferred for brunch though.Special Features:
- A bit pricey for an OK experienceAlfonsoDined on 27/6/2014Friendly service, nice terrasse outside especially in the summer. Only disappointment was the bill which got to 88pounds for two of us and that included a 27 pound bottle of wine. my burger was good and my girlfriend got a crab burger that was "ok". We will come back but probably only for a drink/cocktail on the nice terrasse with the cool music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatTwigletDined on 19/6/2014Been meaning to try it for a while, so booked for a pre-Scala gig dinner. Good location and great outdoor area, although we were seated indoors at the bar. Good drink selection and food was fine - found the softshell crab burger rather overrated (the flavour was mainly from cheese), and service veered between great friendly and efficient to farcical (hint - if your bar staff don't know what a glass of house white wine is, you're in trouble). Would recommend for its great outdoor area and big tables but wouldn't return otherwise.Special Features:
- Summer style eating!sharonBDined on 19/6/2014This is a fabulous restaurant situated on a unique site. Formerly a petrol staton it overlooks the canal and the granary square. The menu is varied and the cocktails are amazing.We had a great time sitting on the terrace and our waiter was very informative with menu suggestions. Try the slaw it is a very fresh addition to the meal. Will be back again as it is such a great eaterie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeDined on 18/6/2014Great food and a lovely place to sit while the sun goes down. Let down by ropey service and prices that are about 30% too high. I would not go back despite enjoying my evening.
- Small and goodEDMNDined on 17/6/2014A small and crowded restaurant with good food and friendly staff.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal overlooking the canalmacdufDined on 7/6/2014Nice food and cocktails - I would definitely recommend the soft shelled crab burger. Perfect on a sunny evening sitting outside overlooking the canal - a nice secluded spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Friendly ServiceKatarafseVIPDined on 6/6/2014Really enjoyed our experience, sitting outside. The food is mostly fried or buttery, therefore I would not advise if you are on diet, but it is extremely tasty. Very original corn mash and fried peppers. I was told that the fries were homemade - maybe it was made in a home, but it did not taste as if it were made of real potatoes on the spot (tasted more like a frozen package one) - so if you are particular with fries - avoid it. Enjoyed the fried crab burger.Special Features:
- Delicious!!Pos21juinDined on 3/6/2014Went to shrimpy's for lunch.Sat on the terrace overlooking the canal, all the food was incredibly fresh and tasty.The double cheeseburger was meaty juicy and cheesy all the good things you want from a Burgar and twice the size.The beef tostada was a very fresh mound of radish and lettuce, sitting on a very thin slice of delicate beef and a crispy Totilla and the Jicama & orange salad was a really interesting fresh acidic salad with bits of radish that tasted of granny smith perfect accompaniment to heavy meaty food. The Pisco sours are also delicious and the service was 1st class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply ExcellentHackneyWitDined on 30/5/2014Great food, great drinks and a fashionable, cosmopolitan crowd of fellow diners to reaffirm the glowing reviews i'd heard about Shrimpy's before going. Shame it will only be around for another 6 months, get there before it's too late!Special Features: