Silk & Grain
London, EC3V 3NDNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
Silk & Grain
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.silkandgrain.co.uk/
- Phone: 020 7929 1378
- Hours of Operation:
Opening 12pm. Kitchen closes at 10pm, bar open until midnight.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Silk & Grain
'Silk & Grain' is the City's latest restaurant and bar specialising in barrel aged cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBusiness Meals
Silk & Grain - Best restaurants in Bank ›
Silk & Grain reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since 23 November 2013
business meals (40)fit for foodies (21)special occasions (19)group bookings (17)romance (11)disabled access (6)good vegetarian options (6)outstanding value (5)sunday lunch (2)pre/post theatre (2)afternoon tea (1)brunch (1)Show More
- Fabulous the best beetroot starter ever!KitCatKDined on 19/11/2014I watched the renovation in summer and this was the first opportunity I had to visit. It was super and all of my guests were impressed with the ambience and the food. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Silk & Grain - outstanding mealTheDoctorDined on 17/11/2014Me and a friend met for dinner after work. We enjoyed the excellent Scallops followed by Steak and a cheese board all prepared and cooked to perfection. Great selection of wines too made for a happy trip. Loved the decor as well with friendly and attentive staff. I would definitely recommend Silk & Grain to a friend.Special Features:
- Lovely dinner with friendly servicejacqui99Dined on 13/11/2014Took ages reviewing restaurants to find one that suited us both (me veggie, he meat!)....really struggled finding one I a) liked and b) didn't serve foie gras (disgusting, cruel stuff). The menu, location (20 minute stroll from London Bridge) reviews of this place swayed me and was not disappointed. Even though there was only 1 vegetarian main option that wasn't a problem and the steak and dessert was also noted as being delicious. Great cocktails too. waitress was great but cannot remember her name. ....all we remember was she was polish......sorry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service and Amazing FoodKbishopDined on 5/11/2014We visited Silk & Grain for our Anniversary after a recommendation I received from a friend. I arrived late and my boyfriend was made to feel comfortable while waiting over 20 mins for me! I was greeted warmly by Karolina our Waitress, on my arrival and we were seated at what seemed to be the best table in the Restaurant. She was just the right level of attentive and provided great recommendations on both Food and Cocktails, all of which we both thoroughly enjoyed. Even though we were the last table and it was clear that the staff were waiting for us, we were not made to feel rushed or uncomfortable at all and were reassured to take our time finishing our meal. Karolina is a natural and we really enjoyed both her service and conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catch up with friendsketsDined on 31/10/2014I always walk past this place on the way to and from the station (Bank) to work and looked quite nice from the windows. It is surprisingly smaller than expected, however still quite a comfortable place. Drinks, small but good range of cocktails and a good wine list. Included is a good selection of craft beers too. Menu is small but better in my opinion, wasnt the best steak I had ever had, however it was atleast a 7, im not fully convinced the priced matched the food, but when in the city I dont normally moan unless the food was shambolic (which it wasnt). I would go back again however they need to sort out the smoking problem, I think there maybe a cigar room, but the smell of cigar and smoke would creep out of there and was very strong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedAlly5345Dined on 31/10/2014Very surprised after reading some of the reviews on here. We dined on Friday 31st October. Whilst the restaurant was quiet (probably due to half term & Halloween) we had a lovely time. Steaks were great, cocktails different and friendly service from Danny. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Silk & GrainfoodforthoughtDined on 31/10/2014Food was good, nothing mind blowing, but a nice meal - steak cooked perfectly. Cocktails were the winner for us, and a great atmosphere. Downstairs is a much more busy bar on a Thursday night, but book upstairs for a more relaxed experience. We had a great table at the glass banister of the balcony with a great view over the upbeat downstairs but still enjoyed a comfortable meal, not too loud and a great atmosphere. Service was friendly too!Special Features:
- Very good servicemiscDined on 29/10/2014Food was good but a little on the cool side, this needs improvementSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/10/2014This restaurant is around the corner from our office. Very friendly stuff and a great food. It's suitable for business lunches with clients, interviews. They do great lamb and steak and cakes are outstanding!Special Features:
- Good service but food a let downColinDined on 28/10/2014Came here for lunch with a couple of colleagues. The place is quite new so expected that it might be busy but was surprisingly only at about 25% capacity. The service was pretty good - polite and helpful but not overbearing. The food, however, was a bit of a let down. we ordered a shared meat special which unfortunately was fairly cold when it arrived and not substantial enough for all of us (especially considering the price). The wine on the other hand was very good and not over priced. I'd be tempted to try here again - perhaps for dinner when there might be more atmosphere.
- good business lunchMeanGeneOkerlundDined on 14/10/2014very prompt service, which is hard to find in the city. chicken and vegetables well cooked, steak i am told was good also. not great value for money, but i wouldn't necessarily come to the city for value for money. would return for the same purposeSpecial Features:
- Great steak, great servicelondonfoodieDined on 3/10/2014The restaurant & bar were quiet for a friday night but the service was great from the moment we walked in. Our party of four had cocktails in the bar that were put on our tab and when we were ready we headed upstairs to the mezzanine restaurant. Cocktails weren't the best I've had in London but they were enjoyable. The decor in the restaurant is really nice and the chairs were so comfortable we thought we might end up in them all night! We all had steaks for dinner and all I can say is wow. I go to the best steak restaurants in London as am a huge steak fan and only like quality beef and our steaks were tasty and cooked to absolute perfection. The side dishes were just the right size & the service we had was brilliant and timely.Special Features:
- Silk & Grain...TeeEmm61Dined on 2/10/2014Considering its City location this was pretty good value. Excellent service, food was well cooked and great quality if a little basic. This is not fine dining but neither is the price. The cocktails menu was novel although my Moscow mule was nothing special. A good mix of customers, all ages and a lively atmosphere. Would be happy to visit again.Special Features:
- First time since renovationBradVIPDined on 1/10/2014Really liked this place in its last incarnation (can't remember the name). Silk & Grain failed to live up to the hype from its owners. Food was a bit lacklustre, as was the service. This restaurant/bar is a perfect example sadly a modern trend in London of supposedly independent places that are actually part of a much larger chain that beyond the individual decor of a location, doesn't manage to find a personality in either the menu or the service provided - most likely because it's part of a corporate machine. Will give it another go, but probably not without a toptable offer.
- Good business lunchseptDined on 1/10/2014we were well looked after and the staff were friendly but professional. We were kept waiting a little while for our main course to arrive, but other than that everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New City FavouriteVerity5959Dined on 29/9/2014Visited here for the first time last week and will definitely be back. Nice cocktails in the city, with a great menu. Food was served quickly and was delicious - my steak was mouth watering. Service was polite, friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- Over priced, over cooked, over soldMark29VIPDined on 26/9/2014,not s very satisfactory dining experience.. Very expensive meat badly cooked. Even though this restaurant is just round the corner from my office, I am unlikely to be back any time soon.
- Wanted to Try for myself...CroochVIPDined on 4/9/2014was a bit dismayed by some of the reviews on here but i kept walking past with them advertising as new... was a bit surprised by the older reviews (and i still dont know when they actually opened) anyhoo glad i decided to try myself as it was definitely worth it.. Fillet on the bone was a new one for me which was excellent, couldn't fault the starters or deserts. Good wine reasonable price. And the staff (upstairs table) were attentive and helpful. overall very very happy and will be returning. Could be cheaper overall but no more expensive than others local.Special Features:
- Good foodAtoMDined on 1/9/2014We went on a Monday so was reasonably quiet but the service was good, food was really good. Don't know why people complain about the price in other reviews, its a central london restaurant. My steak was worth it and cooked perfectly. Would definitely recommend eating here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pub grub with finesseStonesDined on 29/8/2014We booked Silk & Grain after it came up on a small list of restaurants detailed as close by to the hotel we were staying at on Threadneedle Street. We planned to and did dine with friends and felt that the menu would suit us all. The food was enjoyable, the service friendly and the overall experience was good for us all. Only disappointment was that they had no Burgers! As I had planned in advance to have this, this honestly really was the only negative, however a rump steak instead sorted me out and in hindsight was probably better, as I had my choice of cut on the chips and a sauce!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice mealSophie5521Dined on 18/8/2014Went here had a nice meal. Surprised at some of the reviews here. Our portions were good size, we had steaks with the option of a sauce and a side for free. Nice cocktails too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, shame about the servicefoodgloriousfoodDined on 14/8/2014Dined at Silk & Grain on Thursday evening. Food was delicious, very high quality and the cocktails were unusual and tasty. However, the service was poor. The restaurant wasn't that busy however to be able to get the attention of the waiting staff was hard work. We had to go and ask to order more drinks and on a separate occasion ask for the dessert menu. If the service had been more attentive, I would definitely recommend to a friend however this really impacted on our experience and I wouldn't suggest it to friends.Special Features:
- Business Drinks and DinnerReviewerDined on 13/8/2014ok.... the staff are very rigid and overly trained...as in 'computer says no'. My colleague wanted vodka in her cocktail instead of gin AND vodka and they couldn't do this or even find an alternative suggestion. They need to relax and enjoy the environment a little more and as they are very new they should be much more accommodating. |Afterwards we had dinner and although very nice I felt it was overpriced for the portion sizes. The experience was OK....nothing special.Special Features:
- Great Food, shame abut the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 13/8/2014I took a client to Silk and Grain. First impressions were good, the decor is lovely and nice relaxed setting. However we were seated upstairs which was busy and they left downstairs quiet which I thought was strange, it would be better to walk into a busy restaurant then a quiet one. The service was a bit slow to start, we had to wait a while for any drinks, once we finihsed our drinks the waitress took them away without asking if we would like another one. It then took a while to order our food and then food then took a while to come out, the table next to us ordered roughly the same time and had eaten their starters and mains before only our mains just came out. The food itself was really good when it did arrive.Special Features:
- Not worth it - lack lustre steakvcallikanDined on 6/8/20141st time at the Silk and Grain. Went for dinner after work with 3 other friends who had never been. We tried a variety of cocktails (which is primary reason I chose the place) including Mohito's, the El Presidente and the Manhattan. Out of them all, I would recommend only the Manhattan - the rest were mediocre at best. For dinner we had a variety of starters, including the duck egg with asparagus, the scollops and the beet salad. The main disappointment was the steak. I had the medium rare 600g porterhouse with green peppercorn sauce and chilli butter while my friends shared the 900g Tomahawk cooked medium. The green peppercorn sauce and chilli butter were the only things worth eating. The steak was bland and a real let down!Special Features:
- Rip offGlc88VIPDined on 6/8/2014I think that if you're paying good money for a steak it is a serious insult / cheek to then say it comes on it's own and you have to fork out an additional £4/5 for chips and then a further £1/2 for a sauce; I eat out 3-4 times a week and never before has a steak come with nothing else included - steak always comes with chips or a house salad as a garnish at the very least and then you pay for a sauce or further side. Also the selection of sides was poor - it was essentially potato, potato, oh and potato again in another form. Oh and the chairs downstairs are so uncomfortable - really shallow, hard backs and you feel as though you're going to slide off Waitress was lovely though and made us feel relaxedI would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome find!FineDiningFanVIPDined on 29/7/2014Had seen a review of this restaurant so wanted to try it out with some friends. We were really impressed, there is a great ambiance and the food was delicious. Not to mention they have a great cocktails menu so will have to go back to try more! Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- PoorOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 25/7/2014Beer was warm, cocktails were poor. Food was average, main came first, sides 5 minutes later. No atmosphere or a/c
- NiceJamieAndrews87Dined on 25/7/2014Good food, good cocktails (Carney's Brew is amazing), friendly staff, nice atmosphere. Will return.Special Features:
- 2 for 1 cocktails!!!emmyjayDined on 25/7/2014Bargain with the 2 for 1 cocktail offer. Nice food too, music was good, lively but not OTT.Special Features:
- Great business lunch!!TravelandtasteDined on 25/7/2014Had a really good barrel aged cocktail and a great steak, my clients enjoyed it also, will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaks & serviceNLG2013Dined on 23/7/2014We had a lovely meal here - staff were friendly and attentive. Steaks were really well cooked, sweet potato fries were very tasty. My only gripe was the £5 side of market veg. We got a tiny little copper saucepan with about 3 pieces of broccoli. I thought everything else was reasonable value (for a City restaurant) but that side was a joke. Overall, the meal was good so we didn't say anything but I wouldn't bother ordering a side like that next time. We didn't get around to trying the cocktails so we will be heading back to try them another time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab new city bar and restaurantHelenSawyerDined on 17/7/2014My friend and I work at RBS across the road and are so happy this is now in Bank. We really like what the new owners have done with the place. Cocktails were amazing and we both had food in the bar which was amazing. The staff were also so friendly and attentive, makes a change from many other businesses in the area. Will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent NightFoodytwoshoeDined on 16/7/2014Really enjoyed an evening here, I had the Scallops to start and Rib-eye on the Bone for main, both were fantastic especially the steak. No room for dessert however I was convinced to have barrel aged Manhattan that went down very well. I will be back and highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJoshMardellDined on 15/7/2014Great new venue in The City of London. We were greeted by a friendly host and had cocktails at the bar before going to our table upstairs. The cocktails were amazing and the bar tender informed us that all cocktails are aged in house for a long time in oak barrels. I had a manhattan which was just out of this world. Upstairs in the restaurant is nice, we had a table with a view over the ground floor and a beautiful stag made from pennies - very impressive! The meal was great, as was the service. We had scallops and mackerel pate to start - both great. The steaks were also lovely, my rib eye was cooked to perfection. Will definitely go back again!Special Features:
- Good food, but wrong meal firstTableForOnePleaseVIPDined on 15/7/2014The food was good, eventually. However, I was first of all given the wrong meal. This was handled well, though. Oh, and the cocktails are superb!
- Poor serviceAdelcDined on 15/7/2014Service was abysmal. I understand that this is the soft opening period but when the food arrived, we were missing one main course of Sirloin steak, a side of chilli buttter and one cold Porterhouse steak. There was no explanation and when we asked, we were told that the sirloin was on its way from the kitchen and it would be 5 minutes. No apology either. Everyone else's main had already arrived. It took quite a while for the steak to arrive and by then, most of the group had already eaten their way through the main course. Unfortunately, the steak was overcooked. Not medium rare as ordered. We were offered a discount on the bill afterwards, so that was a reasonable gesture. It's good value because we had 50% off but otherwise not worth it.
- LonJohnDined on 15/7/2014Good choice on the menu, not just steak. Good value using the 50% discount offer. Otherwise quite expensive and portions on the small side. But the rustic and sweet potato chips were fantastic..
- Marden917Dined on 15/7/2014Excellent meal - fantastic steaks! Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Best starter I had in a long timeLND74Dined on 14/7/2014Even without the 50% off offer, the place is still worth a visit. Lovely chunky fries.. yummSpecial Features: