Royal Festival Hall
London, SE1 8XXNeighbourhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.skylon-restaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 02076547800
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12pm - 2:30pm, 5.30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 12pm – 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Executive Chef: Adam Gray
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Skylon
Skylon Restaurant in London’s landmark Royal Festival Hall is a hot destination eatery. Inspired by the emblematic sculpture of the 1951 Festival of Britain, Skylon is a stylish restaurant on a grand scale, with formal dining room, smart casual grill and centerpiece bar, each a blend of 1950’s-inspired chic and modern design, all with sweeping Thames panoramas through floor-to-ceiling windows. Executive Chef, Adam Gray describes his food as modern British – simple, honest and with a sometimes unusual twist on classic dishes. Skylon is an exciting restaurant for events at the Royal Festival Hall – its bubbling, vivacious ambience sets the tone for pre- or post-event dining. The sommeliers are renowned for the excellence of their knowledge and the charm and ease with which they guide you to great quaffing decisions. Skylon is the metropolitan experience as it should be: refined cuisine, intriguing wines, high culture and heart-lifting views.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerPre/post Theatre
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Skylon - Best restaurants in Waterloo ›
Skylon reviews from OpenTable diners
738 reviews since 22 May 2014
special occasions (423)pre/post theatre (339)romance (254)business meals (221)fit for foodies (214)sunday lunch (115)group bookings (71)brunch (54)outstanding value (45)afternoon tea (42)good vegetarian options (42)disabled access (20)child friendly (15)outdoor eating (5)Show More
- ccjcDined on 14/9/2014Very nice location and attentive staff. Fairly expensive for what you get though good selection of wine by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisyIainMDined on 12/9/2014Although the food was excellent and the service was very good, the background noise level was so high as to make conversation very difficult. The busy central bar area is part of the problem, but there is probably little that could be done - the wooden floors, very large windows and concrete walls reflect the noise and people end up speaking louder and louder in order to make themselves heard.
- Faultless meal!Mowski57Dined on 12/9/2014The restaurant space is beautiful - light, high ceilinged, fantastic views of the Thames and stylish décor with festoons of white flowers in the centre. The Evening Standard deal is superb value for money. The food was absolutely delicious and each course seemed to surpass the previous dish. The service was friendly and efficient from the minute we arrived and I can't recommend Skylon more highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MusicaldiningDined on 11/9/2014Booked for after a concert; good table; reasonable service and fair value for money but the ambience was dreadful. There were a significant number of people at the bar who were loud (well beyond a reasonable noise level) and this with the poor acoustics made converstaion all but impossibleSpecial Features:
- conversationloverDined on 11/9/2014We went in the evening. At that time at least, the restaurant was far too noisy. We couldn't hear the people we'd come with, which was a great pity. Food very good though.
- Pre-theatre nosh and chatRBeatandchatDined on 11/9/2014Chose the restaurant rather than the Grill (where I'd been before) as the sample menu online looked better, but when we got there it wasn't particularly exciting. However, what we chose was delicious, and although the portions seemed small, we were more than satisfied at the end. The somelier made perfect (though pricey) suggestions for lovely wines to go with our choices. And, we were seated next to the window so had lovely views. However, I will go back to the grill in future as for a quick pre-theatre meal I can't justify the price difference.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues high level of serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/9/2014I continue to come back and am never disappointed by the food, wine or standard of service whether coming for business or pleasure. Always good combinations of fixed price and a la carte and attentive service - you really can't failSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location; v attentive staffmusnusDined on 9/9/2014Skylon is always a lovely experience due to it's fabulous locations and views. The staff are always attentive and I was surprised to see they offered a pre-theatre menu. However, due to the speed of needing to turnaround diners for their theatre visit one of the two chicken meals we ordered came out part cooked. This was however rectified very quickly by the waiting staff who ordered another.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding view of the ThamesBobWDined on 9/9/2014I booked a few days before dining and asked for a view over the river if possible. When I arrived at first they didn't spot this but noticed it within a few moments and moved me to a perfect table overlooking the Thames with appropriate apologies. From that moment the food and drink were excellent, and there was a good choice for all courses, all backed up with very good and efficient service, which left us with complete confidence that we would be able to make our 7.30 show in good time. Having had one or two disappointments in neighbouring restaurants recently we shall definitely be returning here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skylon restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Wonderful evocative location with Festival of Britain ambience.Special Features:
- SKY HIGHCaptain1234Dined on 9/9/2014My wife and I had a pre-theatre supper with two friends, and it was excellent. The staff were welcoming and obliging, the view from the window table was inspiring, and the range of food on the menu was excellent and well-presented. Admittedly, this was courtesy of an Evening Standard deal, but it was very good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fab viewsroxy64Dined on 6/9/2014I really enjoyed eating at Skylon. It is right in the heart of the South Bank so lots going on around. Great views but a bit noisy. The service was fantastic and the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!!emmat67Dined on 5/9/2014We went to Skylon for an Anniverary meal. Everything about the evening was outstanding…Food, wine, service and attention to detail. This is not a place to go on a budget but for a special occasion I would recommend wholeheartedly. The food was delicious and we were looked after without feeling swamped by waiters. I mentioned a special dietary need on my booking email and it had been noted and I was completely taken care of, which was great. We will definitely return another time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- splendid view, classy mealkatieDined on 5/9/2014We booked thos special evening standard deal fairly last minute and never expected to get a table next to thr window overllooking the south bank at night. The service was excellent, the meal classy - a lovely treat during a weekend break to LondonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SkylonDaddywitten1Dined on 4/9/2014Outstanding service. Beautifully cooked food. I rarely eat steak in restaurants because I am always disappointed compared to home cooked steak but this was outstanding. Wine very pricey but there are cheaper wines available. The wine waiter was very helpful. Great venue, good views of city / Thames. Would recommend for any occasion. My friends thoroughly enjoyed the experience too and no one had any complaints (which is unusual)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/9/2014Great service, lovely views and superb food. The Evening Standard deal was a bonus, but we were still made to feel special by the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit underwhelmedLolsmDined on 4/9/2014Sadly the view of the Thames cannot make up for the lack of atmosphere and high prices for average food. Also, what is it with the new fad of restaurants hiding your wine, if they're going to do that then they should keep an eye on the customers glass, I don't want to be waving to get a waiters attention when I mastered the art of pouring liquids into receptacle's at infant school. They did however allow me to top up my own water which I'm glad to say I managed without any drama.
- HappyGeeDined on 2/9/2014Nice relaxed setting - really ideal for a different easy going business lunch Impeccable serviceSpecial Features:
- Fair to middlingCoupsDined on 30/8/2014For £30, in such a swanky establishment I didn't expect much from the menu, but unfortunately I was very dissapointed with the food that was served. The tuna tasted more like ham hoc, worryiny the texture was more like ham hoc too! the actual ham hoc potato cake was more like a potato cake which a little ham hoc had accidentally fallen into...it was bland and I didn't enjoy it. We waited ages for cocktails, had to pour our own wine (not something I'd expect, considering the amount of staff faffing behind the counter in the middle of the dining area - presumably polishing cutlery or playing Tetris??) Dessert was ok, but not lip smacking delicious. Overall I was quite embarrassed to bring my friends here, and probably won't do it again.
- Great service, too noisyanonymousDined on 29/8/2014Staff were extremely polite and attentive, the view from table was beautiful - you can see the Thames and people walking by - good for a romantic evening after visit for a concert, for example. However, even at 10.30 pm , it was terribly busy and therefore - noisy. We could barely hear each other. Seems like noise was mostly coming from the bar. Music not great too - would have expected it to be classical or jazz but was instead modern ambient. Toilets are the same as for Royal Festival hall, meaning you have to queue with lots more people outside if it is after / during concert event. Main meals were very tasty and good-sized, but not hugely impressed with starters and deserts. Overall, however, we had a great time and would recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic RestaurantMartyhDined on 29/8/2014Everything about this restaurant was exceptional from the ambience, to the friendly efficient service, to the menu choice and also the quality and presentation of the meal itself. Not also forgetting it's fabulous location right on the South Bank. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food with amazing viewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 29/8/2014The food this time at Skylon was very good, and excellent wine matching from the sommelier. However, this time the service for the food was not up to the standard that would be expected in this niveau of restaurant. It was slow, inattentive and diffident. When the mains arrived but there was no cutlery on the table, the senior waiter simply flounced off and left the junior waiter to realise that he was going to have sort out the cutlery and serve the food. Embarrassing for a D&D restaurant such as Skylon, surely! Must say that the wine matching from the sommelier was excellent - and it was he who eventually brought us the bill after asking several times.Special Features:
- Superb all roundAug2014SkylonDined on 27/8/2014Class, quality, great service, amazing view--Skylon has it all!Special Features:
- Special occasion dinnerHandSDined on 27/8/2014We were recommended skylon as a restaurant for our 10th wedding anniversary trip to London and it didn't dissapoint. We had a wonderful meal and the staff were very helpful and attentive. We would definitely recommend it and will hopefully return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Lunch SklonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 27/8/2014I enjoyed my lunch recently at Skylon. I liked the food and the service was informative and friendly.Special Features:
- Great food, fab serviceloufoodDined on 26/8/2014Greeted and seated quickly. Fab service. Food was great- honeycomb in chocolate mousse heavenly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great viewRachel7467Dined on 23/8/2014Great view and easy to access to from South Bank, we would like to go again in a quiet time next time. and easy to access to from South BankSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skylon Restaurant 23 Aug 2014JonandJane230814Dined on 23/8/2014Building and decoration a bit shabby and very noisey with no view at all.. Service not as you would hope a these prices although wine waiter slow, half a bottle left at end of meal - had to ask for top ups. Bill had to be corrected and then service charge automatically added then removed at my request.. Food and wine was very good - again as you would expect. Given complementary cocktails - nice gesture, but left feeling a little disappointed.Special Features:
- romantic mealOswaldDined on 23/8/2014I love Skylon -- the service is outstanding and the food is very good. As ever, the staff were attentive and pleased to help, although it was a little noisier than normal when we went. Still, you can't have everything, I suppose!!Special Features:
- FantasticGarethDined on 23/8/2014Excellent location, restaurant, food and service, recommend very highly.Special Features:
- Excellent!!ThePianoSingsDined on 23/8/2014I went with my girlfriend after seeing a musical and it was really a fantastic experience. The staff were friendly and heartwarming and service times were reasonable on a weekend during rush hours... The quality of the food was exceptional, though portions were small and price was a little bit too much but then again this is quite subjective. I would highly recommend the restaurant for pre/post events i.e theatre, musical etc., a romantic night or any special occasions.Special Features:
- Skylon -less hovering pleaseCmc23Dined on 22/8/2014Skylon rest. 2nd visit. Food good but too many wait staff hovering and therefore interrupting often asking the same thing. When we arrived we were offered the worst table despite having booked (if we were 2 business men would it have been the same?)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For special birthday treatfatboyDined on 22/8/2014A fine welcome, although on a first visit the entrances were not particularly user friendly, seated promptly with spectacular river views.Good food served with attention to detail.Wine menu exhaustive. A good "bubbly" atmosphere to the restaurant grill and bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor serviceHouseDined on 22/8/2014We had the pre-theatre menu as we were going to a concert at the festival hall. We told our waitress this. We were early for our 6pm table. Yet the service was diabolical and we only just made the start of the show. If the concert had been any further than thirty seconds away we would have missed it. The food is good though the desserts were rather disappointing. The mains more than compensated overall. The tuna was especially good.Special Features:
- Excellent throughoutJovialJulesDined on 22/8/2014Perfect food, location and service and good value with the Evening Standard offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningSkipeVIPDined on 19/8/2014I have been to Skylon Grill and bar a few times but never in the restaurant. We had a wonderful meal and fantastic wine. The complementary dessert tasters with happy anniversary written in chocolate topped it though, very good of them.Special Features:
- Lunch at Skylonluv2eatwellDined on 17/8/2014Staff very friendly and attentive. Relaxed atmosphere and very pleasant ambiance. Starters and puds very good but those of us who had lamb breast were disappointed, because although tasty it was so fatty and overdone. That was the only problem- everything else was of a high standard and we enjoyed the lunch. I'd like to question why the £7 supplement for a choice of cheese instead of sweet course??Special Features:
- Lived up to expectationsWiltshiregirlDined on 16/8/2014We were treated to lunch at the Skylon 3 years ago and on the back of our experience then decided to have a meal with friends of ours visiting from Belgium. The service was outstanding, very friendly waiters, well-presented and solicitous. The food was excellent and we felt we could have stayed as long as we wanted, there was no urgency on us to vacate the table in time for the next diners. We all took the set lunch which at £25 for a two course and £29 for a three course we felt was good value for the excellent quality of the food - in addition to which there was plenty of choice. In my online booking I requested a table overlooking the Thames and this was what we had. Would certainly recommend and am hoping to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 15/8/2014We chose this to celebrate an anniversary and were not disappointed. With the Evening Standard menu we had an very good quality, well-priced meal. It is such a lovely spot on the river, The ambiance is good and there is a pleasant buzz to the place although at one point the noise from the bar did get a bit much. Friday night! We usually eat in the Brasserie but the restaurant was that bit more special. Very attentive, pleasant staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BayswaterbonviveurDined on 14/8/2014Thursday evening and the grill area was packed and pretty noisy. The restaurant area was more relaxed. We had the Evening Standard offer but the service could not be faulted, thank you! - including a table by the window. Nice views outside but being only on the second floor you don't see the whole river because of the trees ("Skylon" to me implies a little more height!). Food was good - but along the lines you would expect from a special offer. No surprises but very competent. Overall very good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.