Royal Festival Hall
London, SE1 8XXNeighbourhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.skylon-restaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 02076547800
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12pm - 2:30pm, 5.30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 12pm – 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Executive Chef: Adam Gray
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Skylon
Skylon Restaurant in London’s landmark Royal Festival Hall is a hot destination eatery. Inspired by the emblematic sculpture of the 1951 Festival of Britain, Skylon is a stylish restaurant on a grand scale, with formal dining room, smart casual grill and centerpiece bar, each a blend of 1950’s-inspired chic and modern design, all with sweeping Thames panoramas through floor-to-ceiling windows. Executive Chef, Adam Gray describes his food as modern British – simple, honest and with a sometimes unusual twist on classic dishes. Skylon is an exciting restaurant for events at the Royal Festival Hall – its bubbling, vivacious ambience sets the tone for pre- or post-event dining. The sommeliers are renowned for the excellence of their knowledge and the charm and ease with which they guide you to great quaffing decisions. Skylon is the metropolitan experience as it should be: refined cuisine, intriguing wines, high culture and heart-lifting views.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerModern European
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Skylon - Best restaurants in Waterloo ›
Skylon reviews from OpenTable diners
750 reviews since 24 October 2013
special occasions (432)pre/post theatre (349)romance (254)business meals (227)fit for foodies (218)sunday lunch (114)group bookings (76)brunch (49)outstanding value (44)good vegetarian options (38)afternoon tea (37)disabled access (16)child friendly (15)outdoor eating (6)Show More
- Really good night!niceplaceseekerDined on 21/10/2014I had a dinner for two for a special occasion, and everything was perfect. We got a table beside the window, as requested, and the service was really good. Food and wine were at the same level, and the enviroment was even better.Special Features:
- Pleasant evening!DinerDined on 21/10/2014Thoroughly enjoyable evening with very good food, wine and excellent service. Well with a visit.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerrollieDined on 20/10/2014I took guests from out of town here for a birthday celebration, and they absolutely loved it. The food was amazing, and the service was impeccable. I will definitely take more guests here in the futureSpecial Features:
- Elegant and stylishNinisDined on 18/10/2014We really enjoyed our evening at Skylon. The surroundings and interior were elegant and stylish with sophisticated lounge/house music in the background. The food, wine and cocktails were absolutely amazing! We would definitely come back to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss the pudsIssyDined on 18/10/2014On a pre-theatre dinner it's easy to miss out on the dessert course, but make time for them, they are worth it!Special Features:
- elc73Dined on 17/10/2014I thought I'd booked the pre-theatre menu so got a bit of a shock when sat down to realise the menu option was a set 2 course, fairly pricey option. Having said that the service was attentive, and the view was beautiful (window table as requested at time of booking). Just check that you click on the offer when making a booking if that's what you're hoping for!! My mistake but a costly one.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommended!JessDined on 17/10/2014I went Skylon with my best friends to celebrate her birthday and we got the table which has an outstanding Thames River view. The service and the quality of food is unquestionable. We had pre-theatre menu for pumpkin soup and grey mullet, there were so good. Cocktails are also recommended! Definitely going for another time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the views...InternationaljsDined on 17/10/2014We had tickets to a 730 show at the Old Vic, so arrived for dinner at 6pm. The Pre-Theatre menu is limited, but lovely and suited our "mature" group with style and familiarity. It was a light meal though, but the setting (for out of London visitors) was great. We had a lovely table by the window overlooking the Thames, and the service was pleasant and prompt. We paid just over £100 for a 2 course menu for three with wine - so not a regular table for us, but location wise we would definitely bring visitors back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice decor, good foodnlc299Dined on 16/10/2014Went here with husband and friend for a late supper. The restaurant has a nice atmosphere and was full at 9.30pm which was enjoyable. We ate from the special offer menu (2 courses for £28). I had the starter of chicken terrine - which was ok, a little small. The others had pumpkin soup which was lovely. For mains - I would recommend the red mullet. The portions are on the small side, but there is complimentary bread. Service outstanding. Expect to pay just over £40 per head with a bottle of wine.Special Features:
- Brilliant foodClaireSDined on 16/10/2014I was a little hesitant when I booked Skylon due to a lot of negative reviews. I made my reveservation via email for my boyfriend's birthday and requested if we could have a window seat as it was a special occasion. When we arrived the members of staff were very efficient and quickly seated us on a table over looking the Thames. The waiters were very friendly and attentive and brought us wine and bread. The food was wonderful, although the the portions were small, they were extremely filling - we couldn't manage dessert! Before the bill was brought over to us one of the waiters came over with a plate of truffles and a candle with 'happy birthday' written in chocolate sauce on the plate!! It was a wonderful touch, we were so impressed.Special Features:
- OutstandingPopkizDined on 16/10/2014Had lunch here for my mothers 70th birthday. Food was fantastic, service was excellent, enjoyed every moment of it, thank you. I would definitely recommend Skylon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely environmentcullenskinkDined on 15/10/2014Great setting for this restaurant. Not such great value for the food we had. Wine list was great.Special Features:
- A wonderful occasionBJdinerDined on 10/10/2014We had a wonderful meal at Skylon from beginning to end. They were able to grant our request for a window overlooking the river and from the start the service was impeccable. The food was also great: interesting and surprising without being overly adventurous, beautifully presented and an elegant menu without pretentiousness. It a lovely atmosphere and although it is large space bid not feel impersonal or noisy. I would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FaltlessTopNotchDined on 7/10/2014Wonderful location, staff very attentive staff food absolutely wonderful, the flavours and presentation just perfect. Wine list endless, but a passionate wine waiter helped us to make a choice and didn't suggest the most expensive on the list. We went for a birthday celebration and must have been heard by the pre dinner waitress when we clinked glasses and said happy birthday and after our meal were presented with a plate of home made chocs with a candle, how thoughtful and very diligent of the staff.Special Features:
- HughesDinerDined on 5/10/2014As soon as you walk in you are made to feel welcome. The staff, service and food were all excellent!Special Features:
- Good food good timealexdDined on 5/10/2014We had a lovely time here, the staff were pleasant though I think they were disappointed in our lack of drinking alcohol but due to a pregnancy and a non-drinker, our group were generally fine with the soft drinks - but their virgin cocktails were fabulous! Food was lovely and a great choice on the fixed price menu. Much more than we were expecting so would definitely come again to try more.Special Features:
- Great location and serviceMiddlewhispDined on 4/10/2014Good food, Really good service, Great location. Great ambienceSpecial Features:
- Amazing food and service,bit priceythebone87Dined on 4/10/2014I took my girlfriend here for our one year anniversary which I had stated when I booked. The ambience and the food were great, service was amazing as our waiter was very attentive and chatty and gave us his suggestions on meals. They also brought out a bonus pudding in aid of anniversary. The only thing would be the price which was a little over what I expected, otherwise amazing place.Special Features:
- Great setting underwhelming serviceTheSmallsDined on 3/10/2014Really great if expensive food. Waiters, however, not attentive enough and lacked some knowledge of the menu. Disappointing for a more expensive restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOutoftownDined on 3/10/2014My wife and I had a pre-theatre dinner at Skylon and were impressed. The service was excellent, if a little obsequious but the attention to detail was very good. Food was elegant and very tasteful although a little lacking in quantity. The evening sunset over the Thames through the huge windows gives Skylon a great ambience and the atmosphere was nice and buzzy.Special Features:
- Pleasant lunchSarahDined on 3/10/2014On a summy autumn day, the usual fantastic views and great service made this a good choice for a special lunch with an old friend. The set lunch offer is good value with beautifully presented food - highlight was the poached pear dessert, pork main was ok but not up to expectations given the usual high standards of skylon.Special Features:
- Brilliant river viewLuv2dineDined on 2/10/2014The restaurant has a wonderful setting overlooking the river and is great if you are going to a show at the royal festival hall or if you are on the South Bank. It has a swanky bar in the middle on the dining room and is a good meeting place or somewhere to go for last drinks before catching the train at Waterloo. The table thought that their staters, kedgeree and grouse were good, mains were duck breast which was excellent and halibut was good but the portion was small. Desserts were disappointing.Special Features:
- Great venue and food but priceybluevconeDined on 2/10/2014Lovely views if of the river - so ask for a river table when you book. Food delicious and service excellent. Venue inclined to be noisy. Prices pretty high.Special Features:
- ServiceconcertgoerDined on 2/10/2014As a single diner one is accustomed to a lonely table near the door. On every occasion that I have dined at Skylon - before concerts in the Royal Festival Hall so always early in the evening - I have been given a table in the window overlooking the Thames and this add significantly to the enjoyment of the evening. Well done!Special Features:
- Splendid food and serviceGeorginaW77Dined on 29/9/2014I booked a pre-theatre deal for a dinner with colleagues. Service was fantastic and completely accommodating for my specific food requirements and changes required to the dishes. The restaurant is in a great location with fabulous views over the Thames. I would recommend this restaurant for any special occasion both for its amazing food and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-recital dinnerFoodieDined on 29/9/2014We had a very good dinner before going to a recital at the RFH. Our table by the window gave us a lovely view of the river. The food was an interesting combination of flavours and cooked to perfection, and service was attentive and prompt. We will visit Skylon again, especially before a concert at the RFH - so handy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunday lunchdessDined on 28/9/2014Great starter , desert and coffee with sweets. let down by indifferent welcome at reception and poor value main course. A carvery would have given a better main.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diner1Dined on 27/9/2014Went for my fiance's birthday. The service was good and the atmosphere was lively. Food was of a good standard, and whilst not exceptional overall felt like it was ok value for money (you could certainly pay a lot more in the West End for very similar fare).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect way to mark a milestone!Son45Dined on 27/9/2014Excellent service and a treat for the taste buds. I wanted my 45th to be special and I wanted a new dining experience. The staff couldn't do enough, and were great with the wine selection. I had the scallops and seabass, which were divine! Will definitely return to try the other delicious choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skylon - Sept 2014FussyJoDined on 27/9/2014My husband and I had a lovely evening in Skylon. We booked our table via Top Table and had a couple of special requests. The day of our visit Skylon contacted us to make us aware that one of our requests could not be met, which was not a problem and good of them to let us know prior to us arriving. We arrived early so that we could have a drink at the bar and take in the ambience. We were taken to our table when it was ready and had a lovely view and great food. A really enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- A very Special PlaceCharliotteDined on 24/9/2014There is not a lot more beautiful than the lights coming on over London, and to watch that, from across the river, whilst eating lovely food is amazing. I took a friend who has never been before and she was thrilled with the style of the restaurant and the view. The food was just lovely, and the service impeccable, as it always is. Skylon has to be one of my favourite place to eat in London, and it never fails to exceed expectations. The staff are friendly and relaxed whilst being caring and efficient. the wine sommeliers really know their stuff, and always match wine and food with elegance.Special Features:
- OverratedbellDined on 23/9/2014Ok the interior and service was great, but the portions were pathetic and everything was marked up ridiculously high..The 175ml wine amount was pathetic..makes customers feel ripped off, but hey this is scumdonSpecial Features:
- As good as last timeLofislingtonDined on 23/9/2014We had a lovely evening meal, again, overlooking the river at dusk. The wine was wonderful even though it was only a mid priced cote du Rhone. Would recommend skylonSpecial Features:
- excellent in every waypeonyDined on 22/9/2014I went here for my birthday dinner, having been before we knew it was excellent. the food is outstanding, beautifully presented and exquistley served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantScribSDined on 20/9/2014Superb food, exceptional service, was very impressed.Special Features:
- CrimsonDined on 20/9/2014Very efficient service, almost military style precision. Male waiters were friendly and made one feel special. Food was delicious and beautifully presented, however the portions were rather small. Loved the petit fours that came with the coffee/ tea. Overall, worth every penny!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary LunchPakesyDined on 20/9/2014We had an excellent lunch at Skylon to celebrate our anniversary. The food and service were both excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 19/9/2014Having eaten in the grill a few times and liked it, we decided to try the restaurant as we had some friends visiting from Oz. It started well as they allocated us the window table as requested but there were a couple of things that spoiled it. 1. Both my wife's Foie Gras Pate and my main course of tuna were hugely over salted (we like salt) and my wife sent hers back 2. Our waitress was not of the standard in keeping with the class of the restaurant and the service was poor. If we ever go back, it will be to the GrillSpecial Features:
- Good dining at RFH's SkylonmangetoutDined on 18/9/2014Not sure why this restaurant is called Skylon. It is not high off the ground as one might think but it does offer views across the Thames, albeit obscured by trees when in leaf. It provides quality dining: very nice food from a French-based menu, well presented and with good service. When we visited, they also had a good offer on Bordeaux wines. Not cheap but hey, restaurants don't come much more central than this. The ambience is buzzy as the restaurant has a popular cocktail bar in it. I've been before and I would go again.Special Features:
- Better restaurants in southank!GHAMYRBDDined on 18/9/2014Acoustics in the restaurant are very poor and you can't really have a decent conversation at the table. The drinks are extremely overpriced and the food in the 2 course menu is average. Would not recommend for a place to bring your partner before theatre!