Royal Festival Hall
London, SE1 8XXNeighborhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.skylon-restaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 02076547800
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12pm - 2:30pm, 5.30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 12pm – 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Executive Chef: Adam Gray
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Skylon
Skylon Restaurant in London’s landmark Royal Festival Hall is a hot destination eatery. Inspired by the emblematic sculpture of the 1951 Festival of Britain, Skylon is a stylish restaurant on a grand scale, with formal dining room, smart casual grill and centerpiece bar, each a blend of 1950’s-inspired chic and modern design, all with sweeping Thames panoramas through floor-to-ceiling windows. Executive Chef, Adam Gray describes his food as modern British – simple, honest and with a sometimes unusual twist on classic dishes. Skylon is an exciting restaurant for events at the Royal Festival Hall – its bubbling, vivacious ambience sets the tone for pre- or post-event dining. The sommeliers are renowned for the excellence of their knowledge and the charm and ease with which they guide you to great quaffing decisions. Skylon is the metropolitan experience as it should be: refined cuisine, intriguing wines, high culture and heart-lifting views.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Skylon - Best restaurants in Waterloo ›
Skylon reviews from OpenTable diners
725 reviews since 6 May 2014
special occasions (418)pre/post theatre (324)romance (249)business meals (218)fit for foodies (205)sunday lunch (110)group bookings (69)brunch (54)good vegetarian options (42)outstanding value (42)afternoon tea (42)disabled access (20)child friendly (16)outdoor eating (5)Show More
- Great service, too noisyanonymousDined on 29/8/2014Staff were extremely polite and attentive, the view from table was beautiful - you can see the Thames and people walking by - good for a romantic evening after visit for a concert, for example. However, even at 10.30 pm , it was terribly busy and therefore - noisy. We could barely hear each other. Seems like noise was mostly coming from the bar. Music not great too - would have expected it to be classical or jazz but was instead modern ambient. Toilets are the same as for Royal Festival hall, meaning you have to queue with lots more people outside if it is after / during concert event. Main meals were very tasty and good-sized, but not hugely impressed with starters and deserts. Overall, however, we had a great time and would recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic RestaurantMartyhDined on 29/8/2014Everything about this restaurant was exceptional from the ambience, to the friendly efficient service, to the menu choice and also the quality and presentation of the meal itself. Not also forgetting it's fabulous location right on the South Bank. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb all roundAug2014SkylonDined on 27/8/2014Class, quality, great service, amazing view--Skylon has it all!Special Features:
- Special occasion dinnerHandSDined on 27/8/2014We were recommended skylon as a restaurant for our 10th wedding anniversary trip to London and it didn't dissapoint. We had a wonderful meal and the staff were very helpful and attentive. We would definitely recommend it and will hopefully return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Lunch SklonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 27/8/2014I enjoyed my lunch recently at Skylon. I liked the food and the service was informative and friendly.Special Features:
- Great food, fab serviceloufoodDined on 26/8/2014Greeted and seated quickly. Fab service. Food was great- honeycomb in chocolate mousse heavenly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great viewRachel7467Dined on 23/8/2014Great view and easy to access to from South Bank, we would like to go again in a quiet time next time. and easy to access to from South BankSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skylon Restaurant 23 Aug 2014JonandJane230814Dined on 23/8/2014Building and decoration a bit shabby and very noisey with no view at all.. Service not as you would hope a these prices although wine waiter slow, half a bottle left at end of meal - had to ask for top ups. Bill had to be corrected and then service charge automatically added then removed at my request.. Food and wine was very good - again as you would expect. Given complementary cocktails - nice gesture, but left feeling a little disappointed.Special Features:
- romantic mealOswaldDined on 23/8/2014I love Skylon -- the service is outstanding and the food is very good. As ever, the staff were attentive and pleased to help, although it was a little noisier than normal when we went. Still, you can't have everything, I suppose!!Special Features:
- FantasticGarethDined on 23/8/2014Excellent location, restaurant, food and service, recommend very highly.Special Features:
- Excellent!!ThePianoSingsDined on 23/8/2014I went with my girlfriend after seeing a musical and it was really a fantastic experience. The staff were friendly and heartwarming and service times were reasonable on a weekend during rush hours... The quality of the food was exceptional, though portions were small and price was a little bit too much but then again this is quite subjective. I would highly recommend the restaurant for pre/post events i.e theatre, musical etc., a romantic night or any special occasions.Special Features:
- Skylon -less hovering pleaseCmc23Dined on 22/8/2014Skylon rest. 2nd visit. Food good but too many wait staff hovering and therefore interrupting often asking the same thing. When we arrived we were offered the worst table despite having booked (if we were 2 business men would it have been the same?)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For special birthday treatfatboyDined on 22/8/2014A fine welcome, although on a first visit the entrances were not particularly user friendly, seated promptly with spectacular river views.Good food served with attention to detail.Wine menu exhaustive. A good "bubbly" atmosphere to the restaurant grill and bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor serviceHouseDined on 22/8/2014We had the pre-theatre menu as we were going to a concert at the festival hall. We told our waitress this. We were early for our 6pm table. Yet the service was diabolical and we only just made the start of the show. If the concert had been any further than thirty seconds away we would have missed it. The food is good though the desserts were rather disappointing. The mains more than compensated overall. The tuna was especially good.Special Features:
- Lovely EveningSkipeVIPDined on 19/8/2014I have been to Skylon Grill and bar a few times but never in the restaurant. We had a wonderful meal and fantastic wine. The complementary dessert tasters with happy anniversary written in chocolate topped it though, very good of them.Special Features:
- Lunch at Skylonluv2eatwellDined on 17/8/2014Staff very friendly and attentive. Relaxed atmosphere and very pleasant ambiance. Starters and puds very good but those of us who had lamb breast were disappointed, because although tasty it was so fatty and overdone. That was the only problem- everything else was of a high standard and we enjoyed the lunch. I'd like to question why the £7 supplement for a choice of cheese instead of sweet course??Special Features:
- Lived up to expectationsWiltshiregirlDined on 16/8/2014We were treated to lunch at the Skylon 3 years ago and on the back of our experience then decided to have a meal with friends of ours visiting from Belgium. The service was outstanding, very friendly waiters, well-presented and solicitous. The food was excellent and we felt we could have stayed as long as we wanted, there was no urgency on us to vacate the table in time for the next diners. We all took the set lunch which at £25 for a two course and £29 for a three course we felt was good value for the excellent quality of the food - in addition to which there was plenty of choice. In my online booking I requested a table overlooking the Thames and this was what we had. Would certainly recommend and am hoping to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 15/8/2014We chose this to celebrate an anniversary and were not disappointed. With the Evening Standard menu we had an very good quality, well-priced meal. It is such a lovely spot on the river, The ambiance is good and there is a pleasant buzz to the place although at one point the noise from the bar did get a bit much. Friday night! We usually eat in the Brasserie but the restaurant was that bit more special. Very attentive, pleasant staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BayswaterbonviveurDined on 14/8/2014Thursday evening and the grill area was packed and pretty noisy. The restaurant area was more relaxed. We had the Evening Standard offer but the service could not be faulted, thank you! - including a table by the window. Nice views outside but being only on the second floor you don't see the whole river because of the trees ("Skylon" to me implies a little more height!). Food was good - but along the lines you would expect from a special offer. No surprises but very competent. Overall very good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theatre mealDinahDined on 13/8/2014This is a pleasant and convenient venue. Marvellous views of the Thames. The atmosphere is buzzy but I thought it was very expensive, especially the drinks. However the food was very good.Special Features:
- SkylonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/8/2014Brilliant value for money - we had the evening standard offer. £30 for three courses plus a glass of bubbles. Great table by the window, with river view. Excellent service - the head waiter was extremely knowledgeable, helpful and fun around our children. Will go again. We eat at Skylon twice a year, but with such amazing deals, we will come more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menue und service gut , aber lautwm57Dined on 9/8/2014....leider ist in dem Restaurant eine enorme LautstärkeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fantastic EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014Quality food and very attentive and polite staff. Would definitely return for some form of special occasion and would also recommend it to anyone looking for a memorable time. Let us know we're being charged for water next time though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant with viewCardiffboyDined on 9/8/2014Skylon offers fine dining in a pleasant setting overlooking the Thames. Good choice of wine. Service very smooth. A premier venue on the South Bank - well worth a visit irrespective of whether or not you are going to a show at the Royal Festival Hall.Special Features:
- The view was good but not the foodAngelfoodieVIPDined on 8/8/2014We had the pre-theatre set menu and the food was below average. The service was slow and althought we had good seats and view, the overall experience was average.Special Features:
- Excellent throughoutGreggDined on 8/8/2014Service was very good. Attentive and friendly. Food a very high standard from start to end. The petit fours a nice touch. Dessert was excellent too. Good menu options and wine selection. Would recommend.Special Features:
- BrilliantCityDiningDined on 6/8/2014The food, ambiance and service were all first class - many thanks for a great evening!Special Features:
- Enjoyable eveningTipsDined on 6/8/2014We went to Skylon without an offer so it was pretty expensive. The service was great, the staff friendly and attentive but the good wasn't particularly special. I had the summer truffle macaroni, which was dry and despite being warned that the truffle was strong, the flavour and seasoning just wasn't there. The peanut chocolate brownie was good but could have done with more saddled caramel sauce. It was relatively noisy due to the bar behind the restaurant, which took away from the ambience somewhat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A thoroughly enjoyable eveningLondonerDined on 5/8/2014The service, ambience and presentation were first-rate. The food was excellent, although some of the portions, especially the main courses, were on the small side. The wine list was excellent, with a wide range and variety of wines. The staff couldn't have been more helpful, courteous and friendly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/8/2014The service could not be faulted. The team was well led by the maitre d.Special Features:
- Amazing serviceFoodieDined on 3/8/2014From the minute we walked in the staff were attentive and friendly, they gave us an amazing table at the window. The service was amazing. Good food too although my roast beef was a little cold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bday treatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 31/7/2014Went there for a treat for my mums 60th. Staff were very attentive, food was great. They also took care of special requirements tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 30/7/2014Great service, wonderful table looking out onto river but food needed more seasoning and looked a bit tired!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, great foodpastilleDined on 30/7/2014And add to that, service which is friendly and attentive, without being overbearing.Special Features:
- Skylon never fails to impressSkylonDined on 30/7/2014Skylon is one of my favourite restaurants. The views, ambience, food, wine and service are always excellent. Prices are as usual for London but you can be sure that it is excellent value for money. ISpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great locationfrequentdinerDined on 28/7/2014Went for the Evening Standard offer meal which was excellent value. Initially had a misunderstanding over the definition of Chandon bubbly which accompanied the meal but the waiter handled it superbly. Reasonable choice of courses and timing and execution of the food was good. Given a table by the window so excellent views of the river though the room itself is not ideal as a restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food but unreasonable extras.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 28/7/2014The food is great but £3.85 for an espresso and £4 for a bottled water is just unreasonable really. You don't have to do that - it undermined the fantastic food and service.Special Features:
- Spoilt by noisePeteDined on 26/7/2014Noise outside front of building really spoilt meal. I spent over £350 for pre-theatre meal for 4 and the terrible noise outside front on RFH was really outrageous. Had I been informed this event was happening I would have cancelled my booking.Special Features:
- Simply fantasticroyo56Dined on 26/7/2014Another wonderful lunch at Skylon. All the family who were with me had a wonderful time also. Excellent food and highest quality service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticfinefineDined on 26/7/2014Impressive fixed price menu with glass of champagne which I believe was Moet. Excellent value, excellent food, excellent service and a lovely outlook over the river Thames.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.