Royal Festival Hall
London, SE1 8XXNeighbourhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.skylon-restaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 020 7654 7800
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12pm - 2:30pm, 5.30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 12pm – 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Executive Chef: Adam Gray
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Skylon
Skylon Restaurant in London’s landmark Royal Festival Hall is a hot destination eatery. Inspired by the emblematic sculpture of the 1951 Festival of Britain, Skylon is a stylish restaurant on a grand scale, with formal dining room, smart casual grill and centerpiece bar, each a blend of 1950’s-inspired chic and modern design, all with sweeping Thames panoramas through floor-to-ceiling windows. Executive Chef, Adam Gray describes his food as modern British – simple, honest and with a sometimes unusual twist on classic dishes. Skylon is an exciting restaurant for events at the Royal Festival Hall – its bubbling, vivacious ambience sets the tone for pre- or post-event dining. The sommeliers are renowned for the excellence of their knowledge and the charm and ease with which they guide you to great quaffing decisions. Skylon is the metropolitan experience as it should be: refined cuisine, intriguing wines, high culture and heart-lifting views.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Skylon - Best restaurants in Waterloo ›
Skylon reviews from OpenTable diners
767 reviews since 22 November 2013
special occasions (446)pre/post theatre (362)romance (264)business meals (233)fit for foodies (224)sunday lunch (119)group bookings (78)brunch (48)outstanding value (44)good vegetarian options (38)afternoon tea (34)disabled access (20)child friendly (14)outdoor eating (6)Show More
- Monthiversary DelightsTikkiTowerDined on 17/11/2014As a surprise I booked for my partner and I to have dinner at the restaurant and specifically requested a window table. This was all arranged. We arrived early enough to sit at the bar and enjoy one of the delightful cocktails and delicious hoummus before being escorted through to our table that looked out over the Royal Festival Hall terrace, artistic Festive tree and the lights playing across the river. The waiting staff were helpful, provided excellent service and avoided being intrusive. The food was sublime - we loved the combination of flavours and the portions were just right for a relaxed romantic evening out together. Value was offered with a fixed price for 2 courses each - and as we shared a starter and and a dessert with a main each this worked perfectly. A fabulous evening. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skylon is one of my favourite London restaurants!Mgar22Dined on 16/11/2014Just been taken for a 'landmark birthday +1' Sunday Lunch treat. I love the buzz of the RFH and today was even better as the London Jazz Festival was in full swing! Sunday lunch had been booked on the Open Table 2 or 3 course deal with a special request for a window table. The service throughout our meal was efficient, friendly and professional. Excellent window table was delivered! Great Sunday roast beef, preceded by smoked haddock risotto and followed by a slightly disappointing treacle tart? Wine list a 'tad' pricey but still enough choice across the board to select a couple of pleasant bottles to our satisfaction. Finally yummy petits fours and coffee! Altogether another very pleasant and enjoyable experience which made my birthday very special. Thanks Kids!!! I would thoroughly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nouvelle Cuisine Lives!goodcookDined on 15/11/2014I ate from the lunch menu, my guests chose from the a la carte. The rolls were warm but boring and there wasn't enough butter for 3 diners. The portions were minuscule, a trend I thought long gone. What there was tasted okay but not more than that. Don't come here for the food but the view, which is stunning. I had pre requested a window table, which we didn't get, despite several being unoccupied during our stay. Nice petit fours came with the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and UnderwhelmingCalstarDined on 14/11/2014Very helpful and friendly staff. The quality and taste of the food was good, but I felt the portion sizes were extremely small (and I do mean extreme - I've eaten in similarly priced restaurants with similar fare). I ordered a starter of scallops (smallest scallops I've ever seen) and monkfish (3 small pieces - genuinely looked the size of a starter). Thank goodness my partner offered to share hers with me (duck, which was a reasonable serving) and there was bread to bulk up. Otherwise I'd have left hungry. At £42 for 2 courses, I shouldn't be afraid of leaving hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect MealRobboDined on 14/11/2014Last weekend we enjoyed a pre theatre meal in The SKYLON prior to attending the Royal Festival Hall. The food was exceptional and the service was over and above what we expected. No request was too much for the attentive staff. All carried out with right touch of professionalism and definitely service with a 'genuine' smile, It was my wife's 66th birthday and she commented that the meal was up there with some of the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skylon LunchJulieDined on 14/11/2014Met with a group of friends for lunch. We chose from the set lunch menu which was excellent and good value and the service was polished as well. Thoroughly lovely time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- An evening with a colleague and his spouseOverseaClientDined on 12/11/2014My colleague proposed to have dinner with his wife so he asked what were the good establishments in the area. I suggested Skylon and made the reservation having been there once on the grill side. The choice of menus was just right and appetizing. The wine list was comprehensive and not over the board. The sommelier provided a useful complement of information, being myself a wine enthusiast. The service was discreet and efficient. The mise-en-bouche was nice. Appetizers and main courses were excellent, cooked as per instructions and tasty. Sauces were not overwhelming. Portions were adequate. In summary, a very positive outcome. Only little irritant is the noise level in this large room, not helped by the lack of absorbing material.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic all roundOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/11/2014Great atmosphere, view, food and service. The restaurant offer a good menu selection with something to suit all. The Skylon is in a great location and the staff were attentive and professional. We dined at the restaurant for a special occasion and would dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchwaarfairDined on 9/11/2014Great service, fantastic views, first class food. Interesting approach to the menu layout.Special Features:
- Early Evening Meal - 18:30PJJowettDined on 8/11/2014Very good food and service - had to vacate the table by 20:00, but were able to have a three-course meal and coffee in that time, so no problem. Nice round table, but noise level was very high, so not good for hard of hearing elderly diners!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant and efficient servicePetrVIPDined on 7/11/2014Had a very nice pre performance dinner - great and efficient service, two things to improve - wine list does not offer a selection of more reasonably priced wines + restrooms need expansion and upgradingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!JakstarDined on 6/11/2014Fantastic restaurant, smart but very comfortable. The service is an absolute delight and the food is so amazing. We were look after so well on a busy night and nothing was too much trouble. If you want fine dining, professional waiters, lovely ambiance this is the place to come. Business or special occasions. It can be expensive but the wine list has a fantastic array of wines and with good price options. Loved it!!Special Features:
- rufusDined on 4/11/2014Excellent food, attentive service and magnificent views. Only problem was it was a bit noisy for a relaxed coversationSpecial Features:
- A favouriteblablaDined on 2/11/2014I increasingly like the Skylon for it's excellent service and food, great ambience in the large high-ceilinged lounge with a fantastic view of the Thames and Southbank. Its refreshing to go somewhere that offers such quality in a relaxed environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGraBobDined on 2/11/2014The title says it all - especially the friendly staff.Special Features:
- no reviewnoreviewDined on 1/11/2014no reviewno reviewno reviewno reviewno reviewno reviewno reviewno reviewno reviewno reviewno reviewno reviewno reviewno reviewno reviewno reviewSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunchLizzy56Dined on 1/11/2014This was a get-together with my family to celebrate my birthday. We had a lovely time. Great location with fabulous views, fantastic service and good food. Would thoroughly recommend. In fact, I am returning at the end of the month, this time for a meal in The Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinner.GchefDined on 31/10/2014We got the window table we requested. The food was delicious and beautifully presented. The staff were very polite but maybe a little too attentive. It was difficult for us to have much uninterrupted time to ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with viewsDinewell69Dined on 30/10/2014Skylon provides a wonderful setting for dinner with views across the Thames. The menu is varied and interesting, the service exemplary my guest saying she felt like royalty and the food is delicious My only criticism is access for the disabled is difficult to findSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gluten free optionsLove2DineVIPDined on 29/10/2014We had a lovely dinner there and when I told them I was coeliac they immediately came and told me what I could have and brought freshly baked breadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, a little rushed serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 28/10/2014Great for pre-theatre. We had lovely food but felt rushed and we weren't actually going to the theatre. Friendly staff. View not as good as we thought it would be.Special Features:
- Value and qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/10/2014We are members of the Southbank and have only just discovered Skylon. We ate there with friends for Sunday lunch it was great. A lovely environment, excellent service and really tasty food. We will book again in a couple of weeks with some other friends now we know how good it is!Special Features:
- 17impasseDined on 26/10/2014This is a restaurant for special occasions and it delivers on all fronts.It is friendly and efficient with outstanding service. We had a traditional Sunday lunch which I suppose does not stretch a professional kitchen but nevertheless it was faultless,and the price for central London was reasonable. A comprehensive wine list but as with all restaurants of this calibre,watch the prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menu disappointsAndrewDined on 25/10/2014Was not impressed with the tasting menu at all. The soup at the very beginning was the best bit and went downhill from then onto the rest of the courses. Wine pairings were nice though on the dearer side. Would probably go to other similarly priced restaurants nearby instead.Special Features:
- London Restaurant OfferDMagicODined on 25/10/2014Took Mrs O to Skylon to benefit from London Restaurant Offer (£25 / 2 courses incl glass of Laurent Perrier). Warm welcome and generally extremely good service, other than the wine menu being left with us throughout our entree. Both had starter of mackerel, which was superb. Mrs O's grey mullet in red wine sauce was well-presented and she said tasted excellent. My pork saddleback was tender, sauce was lovely. Slightly miserly on vegetables I have to say. Washed down main course with a glass of '11 Cotes du Rhone, which was solid, rich and a good accompaniment for both main courses.Special Features:
- Convenient and welcomingSamrezDined on 24/10/2014Good food, simple post theatre menu, OK wine list, attentive but slow serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing.LalaDined on 24/10/2014Too loud - acoustic needs work Duck tasted like liver, Grouse had a simliar livery taste and texture. I did not want to spoil the occasion by complaining, but I expected better. Smoked haddock starter was watery and not particularly tasty. Peanut dessert was like something you'd get from Iceland (the supermarket not the country). Waiter unaware that you serve the most senior female first, not the youngest prettiest one!. Amuse bouche was very good though - a hot consomme served in an espresso cup. Also the fruit salad was good. All in all considering that I'd chosen this place to eat with my brother who lives in Boston and who I had not seen for a while - very disappointing, and I felt embarrassed.
- GrumpyDined on 24/10/2014Food quite good, but service not well geared to pre-performance timings.Special Features:
- Really good night!niceplaceseekerDined on 21/10/2014I had a dinner for two for a special occasion, and everything was perfect. We got a table beside the window, as requested, and the service was really good. Food and wine were at the same level, and the enviroment was even better.Special Features:
- Pleasant evening!DinerDined on 21/10/2014Thoroughly enjoyable evening with very good food, wine and excellent service. Well with a visit.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerrollieDined on 20/10/2014I took guests from out of town here for a birthday celebration, and they absolutely loved it. The food was amazing, and the service was impeccable. I will definitely take more guests here in the futureSpecial Features:
- Elegant and stylishNinisDined on 18/10/2014We really enjoyed our evening at Skylon. The surroundings and interior were elegant and stylish with sophisticated lounge/house music in the background. The food, wine and cocktails were absolutely amazing! We would definitely come back to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday supperEmsieHDined on 18/10/2014Went to skylon for the first time to celebrate joint birthday with a friend. Cannot fault the restaurant, everything was perfect. Will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss the pudsIssyDined on 18/10/2014On a pre-theatre dinner it's easy to miss out on the dessert course, but make time for them, they are worth it!Special Features:
- Brilliant all round!MimilondonDined on 18/10/2014The cocktails and food were amazing and the staff attentive - can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- elc73Dined on 17/10/2014I thought I'd booked the pre-theatre menu so got a bit of a shock when sat down to realise the menu option was a set 2 course, fairly pricey option. Having said that the service was attentive, and the view was beautiful (window table as requested at time of booking). Just check that you click on the offer when making a booking if that's what you're hoping for!! My mistake but a costly one.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommended!JessDined on 17/10/2014I went Skylon with my best friends to celebrate her birthday and we got the table which has an outstanding Thames River view. The service and the quality of food is unquestionable. We had pre-theatre menu for pumpkin soup and grey mullet, there were so good. Cocktails are also recommended! Definitely going for another time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the views...InternationaljsDined on 17/10/2014We had tickets to a 730 show at the Old Vic, so arrived for dinner at 6pm. The Pre-Theatre menu is limited, but lovely and suited our "mature" group with style and familiarity. It was a light meal though, but the setting (for out of London visitors) was great. We had a lovely table by the window overlooking the Thames, and the service was pleasant and prompt. We paid just over £100 for a 2 course menu for three with wine - so not a regular table for us, but location wise we would definitely bring visitors back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice decor, good foodnlc299Dined on 16/10/2014Went here with husband and friend for a late supper. The restaurant has a nice atmosphere and was full at 9.30pm which was enjoyable. We ate from the special offer menu (2 courses for £28). I had the starter of chicken terrine - which was ok, a little small. The others had pumpkin soup which was lovely. For mains - I would recommend the red mullet. The portions are on the small side, but there is complimentary bread. Service outstanding. Expect to pay just over £40 per head with a bottle of wine.Special Features:
- Brilliant foodClaireSDined on 16/10/2014I was a little hesitant when I booked Skylon due to a lot of negative reviews. I made my reveservation via email for my boyfriend's birthday and requested if we could have a window seat as it was a special occasion. When we arrived the members of staff were very efficient and quickly seated us on a table over looking the Thames. The waiters were very friendly and attentive and brought us wine and bread. The food was wonderful, although the the portions were small, they were extremely filling - we couldn't manage dessert! Before the bill was brought over to us one of the waiters came over with a plate of truffles and a candle with 'happy birthday' written in chocolate sauce on the plate!! It was a wonderful touch, we were so impressed.Special Features: