1a Short's Gardens
London, WC2H 9ATNeighbourhood:
MoroccanPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.soukrestaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 020 7240 1796
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12pm - 12am
Sunday: 12pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Moroccan
- Executive Chef: Georgios Argyriou
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We can cater people off-site, moroccan theme events.
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties for up to 240 people.
- Entertainment: Belly dancing shows most of the nights.
Private shows can be arranged on request.
Private Dining Rooms up to 90 guests.
A word from Souk Medina
Souk Medina is 2 minutes walk from Covent Garden and Leicester Square tube stations.Continued
Come and experience the best North African cuisine in London.
An intimate setting that is something truly different.
Come and experience the best North African cuisine in London.
An intimate setting that is something truly different.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Souk Medina reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since 29 November 2013
group bookings (34)special occasions (23)pre/post theatre (23)romance (18)good vegetarian options (17)fit for foodies (11)outstanding value (8)child friendly (4)sunday lunch (3)afternoon tea (2)disabled access (1)Show More
- Highly recommended!PrincessVDined on 14/11/2014Souk Medina is a very good choice. Very good atmosphere, delicious food and high customer service. Little gem in Covent Garden. Dont miss it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Moroccan restaurantShirlDined on 9/11/2014I can't believe I've only just found Souk Medina! Couldn't fault it - delicious food from the mezze selection, fabulous friendly, attentive but unobtrusive staff and a beautifully laid out restaurant. Lots of space so it feels very private at your table. We were there for a pre-theatre meal but I'd happily go back for lunch or dinner, either as a couple or in a big group. The non-alcoholic cocktails were delicious too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick light biteSherpa1Dined on 5/11/2014We only ate starters so didn't sample the main dishes. The hummus, felafel and vine leaves were tasty. The service was fast and friendly. We sat downstairs but near a large table so quite noisy and the music quite loud. If only 2 - 4 of you then ask to be seated away from large groups if possible. The restaurant is decorated well and inviting.Special Features:
- Tasty food and great ambienceYiannisDined on 1/11/2014I have been to Souk Medina a few times and it never lets me down. The food is always very tasty and well-cooked. The ambience is great, with Moroccan/Arabic-style decor and music. Belly dancers occasionally come out to entertain the customers for a few minutes, creating a lively atmosphere.The only downside is that the music can be a bit loud at times and find it difficult to converse with someone across the table. Also, there was a huge waiting time between the starters and the mains, which we weren't too happy about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply deliciousMP28Dined on 31/10/2014I'd been here with a group from work and loved it so decided to bring my partner. We went to Morrocco last year and eating at the Souk transported us back there. The decor and food is really authentic. The service is good without being intrusive. We were even teated to an unexpected belly dance. The set menus are certainly value for money. You have to try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsrev1Dined on 30/10/2014Lovely ambiance and friendly staff. Service was very good and we were offered small sweets and mint tea on the house, which was a nice touch. The vegetarian and meat mezze was very good value for money and tasty. CPUs cousin dishes were a little disappointing as did not come with traditional pot of vegetables and broth to moisten cous cous. Vegetables and couscous were individually served on dishes. But were very tasty. All in all, highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Souk MedinaKath61Dined on 25/10/2014We had a lovely meal there last Saturday. The food and service were excellent. It was good that there was a reasonable amount of time between courses as so may restaurants serve one course one after the other without a breakSpecial Features:
- just greatXXXXXXDined on 17/10/2014I would strongly recommend this place especially to couples. Its one of the most romantic places I've been to :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great valueTBoneDined on 4/10/2014Four friends and I came for dinner and were not dissapointed. We had one of the feast meals which was fantastic value. There was ample delicious food for less than that at a high street chain restaurant. I would recommend to anyone who wants a tasty meal without breaking the bank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- averagerickster1984Dined on 4/10/2014Great atmosphere but the food was distinctly average. Supermarket bought Pitta breads and Heinz salad cream were not what I was expecting to find in a £20 sharing platter.Special Features:
- Horrible foodAriannaDined on 15/9/2014The food was incredibly overpriced and poor. Small portions for the starters, big portions for the mains but the taste and quality was very disappointing. The service is very regular and they carge you a lot for it.Special Features:
- Nice atmosphereFoodDined on 10/9/2014Food was nice. Service was ok. All in all it was a nice evening but nothing specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice ambienceTazADined on 5/9/2014Really romantic for couples, took my girlfriend and we both really enjoyed the atmosphere, Food was pretty good and overall not bad pricing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodEmmaDined on 29/8/2014I went there with a friend and we both enjoyed the dinner very much. The only thing I found a bit distracting our conversation where a few ongoing birthday parties which where accompanied by a loud happy birthday song played while presenting a birthday cake.Special Features:
- SurprisingNFieldDined on 26/8/2014Surprisingly good food, lovely ambience and friendly staffSpecial Features:
- 5 starschantsDined on 21/8/2014tasty authentic food and beautiful surroundings. would recommend to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 16/8/2014Enjoyed both the atmosphere and service. The food, although quite good, was not exquisite. Take that comment with the fact that we're from New York (with both the world's best and worst eating places) and be assured you will enjoy your visitSpecial Features:
- Great good and friendly ServiceCataDined on 15/8/2014Great morocan food on a restaurant with nice atmosphere and very good service, always smiling and happy to help. RecommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slinkyDined on 19/6/2014We had a Marekesh Buffet for 2, the portions were very small and verging on the stingy.Food was ok but nothing exceptional would not rush back. We ordered Champagne, they opened the bottle and left us to pour, which I feel is not good service and it was 5pm so not busy at all. Overall I liked to décor, but though the service and food could of been a little on the better side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value mezze in heart of cityOccasionalTouristDined on 23/5/2014Great little restaurant tucked away in Covent Garden. Loads of character from the draped entrance to the cavern like feel of the various rooms in the restaurant all give it an authentic North African feel. Food is great value for central London and options of mezze mean you can scale up or down as you please. Our group was one adult and two teenagers so shared options perfect. Cost was £54 including drinks and 12.5% service charge (included on the bill which is annoying but sadly increasingly common especially in cities). Belly dancer amused us and was short and sweet. As was the delicious baklava.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late afternoon lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/5/2014A very nice interior masterfully hidden away. There was a lot of natural light inside which made for a pleasant and warming atmosphere. The lamb shoulder tagine was excellent.Special Features:
- Great time had by allPreMormonDined on 18/4/2014I and a group of friends visited on Good Friday and had drinks / nibbles, then full dinner. We were pleased with the food, wine and most of all, the length of time we were allowed to be there, talking, drinking etc... - 5 hours without any hint that we needed to go. A great place for a social gathering. The lamb with prunes was very succulent and lean. The chicken fell off the bone and was very tasty. A friend had the vegetarian option, and said it was nice - roast peppers.Special Features:
- Good food. Service a bit slowLDNWandererDined on 9/4/2014Good food. Service a bit slow so food was not hot when it arrived. Reasonable in terms of value. Great for group dining.Special Features:
- Great food, great experienceAnonDined on 5/4/2014Souk Medina in Covent Garden is a favourite of mine for fun and realxed meal out. It suits those after tapas style nibbles and those after a larger meal. The atmosphere is fun and the food very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Place!!!foodfaceplantDined on 3/4/2014If you have not been here you simply have to go! The atmosphere in this place is epic and the moment you step in it feels like you have stepped into Morocco. The layout of the restaurant and decor is fantastic!! Truely special. The food and service is fab to and great for groups or couples. Will definately go back!Special Features:
- InterestingIvanVIPDined on 22/3/2014Great atmosphere, but when I arrived they didn't seem interested to take my name or to clarify my booking and so I had to make a point of asking them to tick me off so that I wasn't penalised for a no-show. The tables are a tad small and sometimes too low, which becomes an issue when the table is overflowing with plates! Service was very good but they do like to turn the music up a tad too loud to accommodate the needs of parties, which in fact they represent the minority. But when the music wasn't too loud it was superb. I will go again.Special Features:
- Atmosphere fantastic, average foodPermilieDined on 5/3/2014I came to Souk Medina having been to Souk Bazaar (their sister restaurant) and loved it. Unfortunately they do not live up to the high standards of their smaller restaurant round the corner. The food was average,but not enough vegetarian options, and everything seemed to just be chick peas. I would recommend it for people that are looking for somewhere quirky to go, but perhaps aren't too worried about being "blown away" by their meals, as to be honest I can't complain - I was just disappointed based on the experience at Bazaar.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too fast!RobbieDined on 28/2/2014Our food was all brought out in VERY quick succession however was top notch!Special Features:
- Went there on Valentine'sDavidDined on 14/2/2014Went there on Valentine's day. Only option was the set menu at about £30. Average lamb and chicken couscous. Fish option served 5 minutes before the rest of the food arrived. Bottled water on the table without being ordered and no doubt not free. The waitresses try there best but the whole place feels false and I got the feeling that their main goal is the bottom line rather than the quality of the food.
- Best Lamb in townVilmanteDined on 2/2/2014They really know how to prepare lamb. Its my 3rd visit to this restaurant, but this time a bit disappointing as we had Lamb which was brilliant as always two different Chicken dishes & Fish to chare, chicken was way to salty to eat & fish was a bit. Not sure what has happened in Kitchen with salt on that day :) But overall great service, lovely entertainment, good atmosphere. Would recommend.
- Nice Evening.buster1Dined on 11/1/2014Second time i have eaten here. Good food and value for money. Only slight downside was as just finishing our starters main course arrived. i like to chill for a while between courses. So slown down on service . not everybody is eating fast for a pre theatre meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing atmosphere with lovely foodekipatezDined on 10/1/2014Went here for a friend's engagement dinner, and was not disappointed. Great choice of menu items available, with set menus if you (like me) were unsure exactly what to order - this is also a slightly cheaper option. Definitely recommend and would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual escape to Marocco in Sohoveggie4meDined on 30/12/2013Great interior and the tagines are really good. Great tastes and very nice staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unsure what happened ...billyVIPDined on 16/12/2013Fair value on starters and chicken tagine with cous cous - fairly straightforward and basic cooking. Poor service unfortunately, caused by being shortstaffed. Will though give it another go and attempt to believe it was just an off-day.
- Great evening!Sara1Dined on 5/12/2013Thanks to Souk Medina for hosting a great evening for 10 of my work colleagues. Even though we arrived early, they managed to secure a table despite us turning up ahead of our booking. The service and ambiance was great and the bellydancing topped off a great night. The food was superb and not rushed and we would definitely recommend dining here again - great for small and large groupsSpecial Features:
- oozing authenticityAntEaterDined on 3/12/2013if you want to feel like you have stepped in the souk in Marrakech, then this is the place for you. Very tasty and authentic food. Service is not perfect but unless you are in a hurry it should not be a problem. Staff are friendly. A place for fun and indulgence. I will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- friendly, attentive and wellpapadaveDined on 2/12/2013friendly, attentive and well presented staff, looked after us throughout our meal with a personable approach. food hit the spot and at a reasonable price. definitely somewhere for a group meal to share the wonderful dishes.Special Features:
- The following 3338 reviews are from the Souk Medina reviews archive.
- great food and atmosphere!smurfDined on 23/11/2013Really enjoyed it at Souk Medina great moroccan food and a real party atmosphere! Is a great place for large groups and service was very good. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly relaxed atmosphereLovestoeatDined on 23/11/2013We enjoyed a pre theatre meal at Souk Mediina. Restaurant buzzing with many diners. Great ambience with Morrocan furnishings and music that wasn't too loud. Service polite, friendly and helpful. Food plentiful, delicious and good value. Ticked all the boxes for what we wanted. Would recommend.Special Features:
- Great for a catchup with friendsemilyjbDined on 21/11/2013I was looking to find a restaurant which had a little extra something to provide a cosy atmosphere as well as great and relatively inexpensive food for a meetup with some friends. The others were still studying so I was conscious of budget and two of us had certain dietary requirements which needed to be worked around. When I rang up to ask a couple of questions the guy on the other end was great. He made good recommendations on what would be the cheapest options and the most suitable to share for a group and confirmed that the food would be cooked in olive oil except deep fried items (frird in vegetable oil). We found lots of friendly waiting staff, a beautiful atmospheric dining space and the food was really flavoursome and filling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.