St Benedict's Restaurant
9 St Benedicts Street
Norwich, NR2 4PENeighbourhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: £25 and under
St Benedict's Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stbenedictsrestaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 01603 765377
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday- Saturday: 12pm - 2pm; 6pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Wine
A word from St Benedict's Restaurant
St Benedict's is an authentic French bistro in Norwich's quirky St Benedict's Street. Friendly and relaxed, the dining room attracts Francophiles and fashionistas alike, and is perfect for an indulgent late-night meal, post-shopping pick-me-up or a chic chocolat chaud with friends. We love the slow-cooked crispy duck with braised chicory balsamic reduction and grilled naval orange and the double baked cheese souffle. St Benedict's warm, Van-Gogh-esque navy and yellow interior, sensational wine list and fantastically French waiting staff will transport you across the channel before you can say steak frites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
St Benedict's Restaurant - Best restaurants in Norwich ›
St Benedict's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since 21 November 2013
special occasions (2)pre/post theatre (2)outstanding value (1)business meals (1)disabled access (1)group bookings (1)Show More
- Great little RestaurantPaulDined on 3/10/2014My wife and I visited on a Friday at 6pm before theatre and tried the fixed price menu - 2 courses for £12 or 3 courses for £14.95. Service was excellent, as was the food, definitely going to return in the futureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 133 reviews are from the St Benedict's Restaurant reviews archive.
- A little treasuresuelutonDined on 17/11/2012We had a very nice dinner at St Benedicts and found the staff very friendly, and helpful with advice on accommodating my husband's tomato allergy. We enjoyed everything we ate especially the breaded prawns and sea-bass. The complimentary mint ice-cream chocolates were very nice too! This is a friendly, small modern restaurant with a great buzz to it. We'll be back.Special Features:
- girls lunch in townOuttolunchDined on 25/9/2012Dined off the prix fixe menu, good choice and great quality food. Friendly service and very helpful to our gluten-free diner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, great food, greatDineOutLotsDined on 15/9/2012Nice place, great food, great service, would go back next time in NorwichSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value, excellent foodyklokeDined on 8/9/2012We went on a Summer special set menu, which was absolutely terrific. Great service too. Seems to have improved significantly since our last visit a few years back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was really good andYummyDined on 4/8/2012The food was really good and the staff were very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dining experienceNicklDined on 16/6/2012Pretty unpretentious friendly place with good service. Chef can get a bit overexcited with seasoning in the sauce but aside from the very small quibble it was a nice place to spend the evening. Not too bad on value... two courses and a bottle of wine (for two) came to £80.00.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchBernieHVIPDined on 15/6/2012Very good quality food for lunch. The cheese souffle was outstanding. The service was very friendly and helpful. Will definitely use again when in Norwich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A thoroughly tasty meal, goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 21/4/2012A thoroughly tasty meal, good service and a relaxed atmosphere. I would recommend a visit!!
- St Benedict's Restaurant inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 14/4/2012St Benedict's Restaurant in Norwich is always a safe bet. This outing was probably the best yet. Good food, good service and good atmosphere as always.
- The food was fairly excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 13/4/2012The food was fairly excellent. We had 2 courses for £10, and there were five of us. The portion sizes were slightly inadequate, but that may just be me. The main course was slightly burnt, but overall the dining experience was good. The main course option for the day were: liver & onions, sea bass and veg., and a bean burrito; none of which were particularly French, this may just be the day we went.
- St Benedicts restaurant Norwich.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/4/2012St Benedicts restaurant Norwich. After some difficulty with the reservation to begin with this was soon rectified and the rest of the experience was really good. Would recommend.
- At St. Benedict's in NorwichJawsDined on 3/4/2012At St. Benedict's in Norwich we had booked the special 2 course menu at £14.95 but this had changed to a £10 pre-theatre menu between 5 & 7pm. However they honoured our booking giving us the £10 deal after 7pm. This was excellent value although my Southern fried chicken was rather overdone. The waiter thought it rather dark too, came back to ask how it was & promptly removed it and came back with a fresly cooked piece which was far better. He offered us a coffee on the house & was v attentive.
- I had the 2 courses and aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 15/3/2012I had the 2 courses and a drink for £10. Fantastic food. Fast service. A great restaurant.
- really good service. we hadOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 14/3/2012really good service. we had the £10 offer for two courses ans a glass of wine. really good value and comfortable restaurant. we didn't try the menu a la cart, but it seemed to have a nice variety of dishes for reasonable price.
- Lunch at St Benedicts in NorwichfeastnfastDined on 3/3/2012Lunch at St Benedicts in Norwich - 3 course menu was not very exciting but food OK.
- St Benedict's Restaurant inOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/2/2012St Benedict's Restaurant in Norwich proved to be the perfect place for a quiet meal together. There were sufficient other customers to create a good ambience, the service was attentive and friendly, the food was excellent, and was great value for money.
- We went to this place on valentinesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 14/2/2012We went to this place on valentines day. The staff was very friendly but place was well decorated. A nice warm place if you like French cuisine. A bit costly though.
- St Benedicts Restaurant inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 26/11/2011St Benedicts Restaurant in Norwich never fails to provide a good night out but our last meal was probably the best yet. Venison absolutely cooked to perfection. In terms of value I still can't reconcile that all restaurants seem unable to put a bottle of wine on the table for much less than £20 now but maybe that's just me!
- St Benedict's Restaurant inhoggyDined on 17/11/2011St Benedict's Restaurant in Norwich always serves good local produce thoughtfully and carefully prepared. Great value "Winterfest" lunch menu.
- We spent a lot of time choosingluv2dineDined on 12/11/2011We spent a lot of time choosing a restaurant for our weekend visit to Norwich and were certainly not disappointed with our choice of St Benedict's Restaurant. If anything, the decor and atmosphere were more inviting than its photo on the website implied. We were given a very good table and the service and food was very good indeed. We particularly liked the wine list and the way it was served. We would definitiely recommend this restaurant.
- Visited St. Benedict's Restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/8/2011Visited St. Benedict's Restaurant, Norwich on a week day lunch time, so it was fairly quiet - no more than 10 people when we were there.Service was polite and professional. Decor calm and understated. Food appears to be freshly cooked as we had to wait a little while, but we enjoyed our lunch. There is a set price menu for lunch, but you can eat from the a la carte as well. I think there would be more of an atmosphere on an evening visit. I would go there again.
- St Benedicts is light , warmOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 29/7/2011St Benedicts is light , warm and welcoming and this is reflected in the food and service. We had the set lunch which offered a choice of 3 dishes per course, our choice: tempura sqid and smoked chicken salad, grilled pork, 1 gooseberry fool 1 cheese plus 1 large glass Chenin Blanc. Total £32.00 which was good value and a real respite from a hectic lunch time in Norwich. We plan to return and also try one of their speciality evenings. An excellant find!
- We hadn't been to St Benedict'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 17/6/2011We hadn't been to St Benedict's Restaurant for a year or more and the last time we went we had a really lovely evening. So we were really looking forward to it. Sadly we were disappointed. The food was OK, but not outstanding and the ambience was almost non-existent. The service was slow, but understandable because there was just the one waitress who was a bit rushed when we first arrived. By the time we left at 9.45 p.m. there was no one else there - on a Friday evening. That says it all.
- All in all a lovely meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 17/6/2011All in all a lovely meal. We did have to wait a little longer than we should have had to before we were offered a drink because there was only one member of waiting staff. She managed really well but she needed help. Food was excellent, although one starter (Asparagus) arrived as a very small portion.
- Another shopping trip withfeastnfastDined on 25/5/2011Another shopping trip with lunch at St Benedicts in Norwich. Service up to usual high .standard but lunch menu not as inspired as normal
- St Benedict's Restaurant Norwich ExOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 13/5/2011St Benedict's Restaurant Norwich Excellent food. Good friendly, service. Nice venue
- St Benedict's Restaurant inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 29/4/2011St Benedict's Restaurant in Norwich is something of a hidden gem. We went on the evening of the Royal Wedding so we weren't surprised to find we had the place to ourselves. Despite this the service wasn't overbearing but was a perfect balance of attentiveness and distance. The food was generally excellent. Portion size was possibly slightly on the small size but maybe we shouldn't be complaining about that these days!
- Going on the previous reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 16/4/2011Going on the previous reviews we were expecting alot from St Benedicts Restaurant in Norwich, and we were not dissapointed. Excellent friendly and attentive service, with two courses for £21.95 a head well worth the money. The food was lovely and we couldn't fit a third course in. All in all a lovely place to go, would definitely recommend.
- We enjoyed our meal at St.Foodielove4NorwichDined on 9/4/2011We enjoyed our meal at St. Benedict's Restaurant, Norwich, but the restaurant was very full and just a bit too noisy, making it difficult to hold a conversation across the table. We have been before, on a week day, and preferred the ambience when it was busy, but not overcrowded. The food was good, as was the service.
- Norwich St Benedict's Restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/4/2011Norwich St Benedict's Restaurant. Lovely food arrived promptly. Beautifully served. Busy and lively even at 7pm, but it WAS Saturday. Staff a little too attentive but we were sitting close to where they were based, so can't really fault them on that. Well thought out menu with lovely flavours.
- Our meal at St Benedict'sITFCDined on 8/4/2011Our meal at St Benedict's Restaurant in Norwich last evening was generally a very positive experience. Pleasant surroundings, extremely good service and two dishes, in particular, were delicious.
- Second visit to the restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/4/2011Second visit to the restaurant, and very impressed as before. The best thing is the service, nothing feels like too much trouble. A special mention should go to the Lithuanian waitress who treated us like royalty. The food was great too, certainly in my opinion a gastronomic high point in Norwich. The rabbit was great, especially the hotpot. And the starter of salt and pepper prawns was delicious with the side of chilli jam. Will definitely return.
- St Benedicts restaurant -OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/4/2011St Benedicts restaurant - Norwich. We enjoyed a lovely meal here. Food very good, especially the slow cooked crispy duck. Service also good. Only complaint would be that my meal was served complete with veg and pots included ( slow cooked duck) whereas my husbands came with neither (duo of rabbit). He ordered a side dish of peas which would have been enough for 2 people but could also have done with potatoes as well. All in all a very nice evening and would definately go again.
- A nice meal at St BenedictsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 26/3/2011A nice meal at St Benedicts Norwich. Looking back, the food here that night was totally acceptable, however, not up to the standard we felt that we have had before. Again the seating is a bit cramped, a small square table for two of us, and very close to others. Better seating arrangement would increase the atmosphere ALOT. Just perhaps an off night sadly :( Also we were served our bread and starters after the table behind, despite arriving before them.
- Excellent lunch at St BenedictsfeastnfastDined on 25/3/2011Excellent lunch at St Benedicts in Norwich. We opted for the fixed price menu. Choice of three dishes on each course and the ones we chose were very good, especially the chicken and chorizo tart and the crab with noodles. Nice ambience and attentive service - a very welcome break from shopping.
- St Benedicts, Norwich - nothingGeraldineKDined on 19/3/2011St Benedicts, Norwich - nothing spectacular, no huge complaints about food although a very odd & very hard deep fried potato came on my plate (no mention on menu) Dull music, restaurant not full on a Sat eve...needed more uptempo music to compensate for lacking atmosphere. Smoke alarms in kitchen kept going off, didn't help. Service 'light touch'. No salt on table annoying. About 5 various menus & flyers on the table, all of which seemed to be flogging Mothers Day. Experience all underwhelming!
- St Benedict's Restaurant onceRonPDined on 26/2/2011St Benedict's Restaurant once again did not disappoint. Delightful, cheery service and excellent food. I had the crispy duck and my wife the haunch of venison, both wonderful. These were followed by the Chocolate Delice and the Iced Praline, once again both yummy. House wine was excellent value too. Only downside was it was a bit draughty close to teh door.
- As usual, great food and greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 25/2/2011As usual, great food and great service at St Benedict's Restaurant in Norwich!
- St Benedicts Restaurant Norwich.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 14/2/2011St Benedicts Restaurant Norwich. Attentive staff, very tasty food all our party thoroughly enjoyed our Valentine Night Out