St James Restaurant & Bar
4 Topsfield Parade
Crouch End/Muswell Hill
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
St James Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stjamesn8.co.uk/
- Phone: 02083488348
- Hours of Operation:
br> Monday -Friday: 12:00am - 10:30pm
Saturday and Sunday: 10.00am - 10.30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, British
- Executive Chef: Simon Trussell
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
Childrens Entertainer every Sunday 13:30 - 15:30
A word from St James Restaurant & Bar
St James restaurant and Bar now well established in the heart of Crouch End on Topsfield Parade and runner up in the Best Local Restaurant category of the 2009 Time Out Eating and Drinking Awards. Open from 10:00 am, enjoy a hearty full English breakfast or just pop in for a coffee and a lighter snack. To the front of St James is our casual dining room, dominated by the large, marble bar ideal for bar snacks and your favorite tipple. St James is the perfect place for lunch, whether it's a tasty treat from our 2 course set menu for £9.95or choose from our A La Carte strong on comfort foods and robust flavours. The Skylight Room - ideal for parties seats 14 around a sociable square table. To the rear of the venue is our 34 seat restaurant, with white walls, napery and mirrors reflecting the natural day light that floods into the room through huge doors, which open out to a secluded patio, perfect for warm days. St James is an excellent venue for all types of celebrationsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
St James Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since 22 May 2014
romance (10)special occasions (10)sunday lunch (9)business meals (9)fit for foodies (8)group bookings (7)outstanding value (5)good vegetarian options (5)brunch (4)afternoon tea (2)outdoor eating (2)child friendly (1)disabled access (1)Show More
- QualitymarcallenDined on 14/9/2014Amazing Sunday lunch. Best Yorkshire pud I've ever had.Special Features:
- Good quality as usual!Kwick709VIPDined on 6/9/2014We were quite surprised we could get a last minute booking for 5 on a Saturday - still do not know why as service and food was great! Love the Roquefort salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meat is amazing and desserts....OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 23/8/2014The food at St James Restaurant & Bar was fantastic. The atmosphere is really nice and friendly and we felt very taken care of. We had the Chateaubriand; we like rare meat and the quality was outstanding! Not to mention desserts, I would recommend the creme brulee trio, superb! We're definitely going back :)Special Features:
- Lovely food in outdoor settingAnacondaDined on 4/7/2014We were able to take advantage of the set lunch menu which is very reasonable and sit in the small courtyard at the back of the restaurant. My watermelon and Feta cheese salad for a starter was delicious as was the pork belly we both had as mains. Drinks were very reasonable. A very nice reliable local restaurant which has a more formal dining room for special occasions.Special Features:
- Good as usualKwick709VIPDined on 27/6/2014Saint James is always good for nice food. Sauvignon blanc Malborough not up to usual standard but still down nicely. Very unusual marmite flavoured creme brûlée was yummy.Special Features:
- Lovely food and attentive serviceashenalDined on 31/5/2014Went here for a Saturday night meal with my mum. The food was fantastic, best meal I have had in ages. The service was very good and they even served the starter we were sharing onto two separate plates, lovely touch. It was very quiet in there though and that was the only shame. I can't understand it given how good the food was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 26/5/2014Lovely lunch for a cross generation family birthday - great food, lovely service good value. We were very well looked after - Recommended.Special Features:
- Nice Find in Crouch EndPKM1VIPDined on 24/5/2014Very cool and relaxed atmosphere, would definately come back.Special Features:
- PeanutVIPDined on 21/5/2014Went back with a group of friends. Have been coming here over the years. Sad to see good value set menu is daytime rather than evening. Menu choice revamped and much fewer dishes but some dishes too experimental and put off desserts completely. Atmosphere nice but have been there when big group in bar area and additional noise tends to spoil ambience so don't go very often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Restaurantchayal13Dined on 15/5/2014My partner and I went here for a quiet romantic dinner and we couldn't have loved it more. The staff were extremely accommodating of our needs and walked us through the menu choices. The food was divine and was cooked to perfection. The staff were so friendly and made it an amazing date for us. We had a quiet private area and were well looked after by everyone. The food was quick and we enjoyed a slow dance in the garden. It couldn't have been more perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClosedwandagoDined on 5/5/2014We booked on-line and got an acknowledgement that we could have a table on bank holiday money but when we turned up the restaurant was closed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as usualWolfieDined on 8/4/2014This is the third time we've visited and it never disappoints. The service is excellent - friendly and quick. The two/three course set menu is exceptional value and delicious. A huge amount of choice and decent portion sizes. A wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- Can't go wrongProseccoDined on 30/3/2014I have eaten here often, on week days, weekends, evenings and lunchtimes. The food, service and value for money are consistently excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well done St JamesClarisHDined on 20/3/2014The food was excellent quality and the service very good. We all really enjoyed or evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and fantastic servicen10newbieDined on 15/3/2014Would have given it a 5, but there's not enough choice on the starter menu - only one hot starter other than soup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- super dinnerPalmerDined on 28/2/2014We enjoyed a lovely dinner for 4. Service was impeccable and the food was delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why we could get a reservationOliverDined on 15/2/2014We needed a restaurant with European food, not a chain, and within 5 miles of home. St James was the only one that was available - we'd overlooked the fact that it was Valentine's weekend. It was clear why St James was not! We were seated in a sort of intermediate area, all on our own, with empty tables around. The food was adequate but not as exciting as the pretentious menu promises. Wine is overpriced (5 x supermarket price for identical bottle). No bread. No tablecloths. It's a bit like a gastropub without the pub. Service was pretty quick and unobtrusive, but the waiter spent half an hour of our meal polishing cutlery right behind us (within 1 metre of where we were sitting) which was really irritating.
- The service was polite ,friendly2eatis2liveDined on 1/2/2014The service was polite ,friendly and helpful. A good but not huge menu, but flexibility shown and a positive attitude ,e.g. to wheat-free dietary request.Special Features:
- Exceeded expectationsFlashDined on 1/2/2014Had an excellent Saturday night meal for two at St James. Hadn't realised how much space they have out the back - decor is very up to date, chairs very comfy. Menu was all very appealing, lots of fish on offer as well as various steak and grill options. For once I wasn't drinking so didn't look at the wine list and can't comment on that. Cheesecake desert was huge as was the cheese plate. Service very good - we had an early table so were through3 courses in about 80 mins. Got a lot busier around 9pm. Will def be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A local favouriteKwick709VIPDined on 13/10/2013A friend and I come here when we want to be comforted by good wine and food. This time portion size was a bit hit and miss but still had a satisying meal. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local diningMenuHappyDined on 30/9/2013We dined on a Monday and the restaurant was busy but the service was attentive. We had previously visited St James and had tried the a la carte menu. However, dining on this occasion we had the opportunity to sample the set-menu - I have to say the cooking is on par with the a la carte so I think it definitely represents great value dining. Handy local dining.Special Features:
- The following 317 reviews are from the St James Restaurant & Bar reviews archive.
- saturday dinnerecodessertDined on 7/9/2013Its our local restaurant - we probably go 3-4 times a year. It did not disappoint. Lovely food, good wine list, excellent service and a lively crowd of 40 somethings in the bar if you want to stay on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was really impressed withcrouchendDined on 15/7/2013I was really impressed with my first visit to St James's. The 2 course set menu was excellent value for money at £9.95. THe decor was really well done and the staff were very attentive. I will definitely recomend to others and will be returning myself. Only room for improvement would be more vegetarian options and a cheaper house wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Father's Day LunchMikeyDined on 16/6/2013Unflappable service, great food, nice vibes on a Sunday - shame about some of the other customers! Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High hopes disappointedVoodersDined on 22/5/2013My first visit - menu online looked amazing, was excited. Possibly foolishly we went for the £9.99 set menu. Starter of pork balls with chilli jam was nice, but avoid the prawn Caesar salad. On the menu it said tiger prawns (I think, certainly implied large prawns), but actually got a dish overflowing with tiny prawns (shrimp-like), drowned in a salty, Cajun dressing. It was not good. Willing to give it another go but this time I would try a la carte. It seems a lovely place though.Special Features:
- Excellent!jb01Dined on 18/5/2013Another excellent visit to St. James. We love this restaurant.Special Features:
- Fine DiningGodmother26Dined on 15/5/2013Fabulous ambience, for all age groups. Restaurant greatly situated in the heart of Crouch End. Wide variety of tasty well presented flavoured food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had lunch here with a friend.LondonladyDined on 26/4/2013Had lunch here with a friend. Great service and reasonably priced 2-course menu for £9.95. We both had the goats cheese salad starter which was 5-star. Really nice, good flavours. My friend had the burger which was very good. I had the chicken milanese which I'm afraid was not a good choice. Brown to look at, bland flavour - don't bother. And only one choice of dessert on this menu although we didn't want one.
- all good as always, tad noisyB52REFDined on 23/3/2013all good as always, tad noisy in the back (big table of girls on a night out ), v.friendly service, good food reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!Pst1Dined on 17/3/2013Great food and great service! Highly recommend it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great grillsQuasiDined on 15/3/2013When we first arrived we were a little uncertain. The restaurant is large, but it is in two parts: the front which is was lively and buzzing, and the back, which was deathly quiet. However, we got our table and sat down to order. We noticed that the really nice salads could be topped off with anyone of a selection of grilled foods: halloumi, king prawns, chicken etc. Great stuff. We all went for them and they were really delicious. Great idea; great grills.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day lunchwandagoDined on 10/3/2013Three of us & a 6 week old baby had lunch here on Mother's Day, the set menu had a wide range of dishes on it including good vegetarian options. The restaurant had set aside a table for toddlers & young children to be entertained at which I thought was a nice touchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A welcome at St JamescfaulknerDined on 3/3/2013The staff at St James could not have been more friendly or helpful and the Sunday Brunch was an absolute treat. I shall certainly be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday LunchvollenDined on 23/2/2013We came here with the children on Saturday for a celebration unch. We could have had the good value 2 course menu - there was a good choice - but we actually had the a la carte. I had pheasant, the girls had steak sandwiches, he had steak - all very good and the puddings were delicious too. I've been several times before - there are two very distinct parts to the restaurant - the front half is more "brasserie" like in atmoshphere - up the stairs at the back has a more formal / smart feel - white leather sofas etc - very nice but better for evenings (in my view). Service was charming but could have been a bit more on the ball. A good local restaurant for all sorts of occaisions -they do a very good brunch too.Special Features:
- Lunch with friend/colleagueDW20Dined on 21/2/2013My first visit to St James. We chose the £9.95 lunch which was excellent value.Special Features:
- Local Restaurant - great valueAilsVIPDined on 20/2/2013Set menu is great value - lovely food, great service - highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingPeterDined on 16/2/2013The service was quite good. The room was bland. The food was disappointing. We waited so long for our main course that my friend asked the waiter if the chef had gone home! My rump of lamb was cold and overcooked. It was replaced by another that was hot but made up of what appeared tone stringy off-cuts. The wine list was expensive with a very nasty and cheap tasting Italian house red at £18. None of the four of us enjoyed our meal and we shall not return.
- all good , great service ,B52REFDined on 14/2/2013all good , great service , limited but extremely good well thought out set menu for valentines,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousMfoardDined on 14/2/2013Attended with my partner for valentines day, the starter of salmon ballentine and the main of steak in their 3 day matured jus was fantastic.. Highly recommended. The waitress lovely too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experienced dinnerexperienceddinnerDined on 26/1/2013I love this restaurant. It's one of my favourites. It I was a special occasion so we had what we wanted, which made it quite expensive. However that is not a complaint. There are options for meal deals. My only negative was that the music in the bar area was too loud towards the end our evening, hence only 3 stars for ambience. The head waiter and the waitress were particularly excellent. Will always revisit and recommend this place. Crouch end is lucky to have it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.