4 Norfolk Street
Manchester, M2 1DWNeighbourhood:
ItalianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stockrestaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 01618396644
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to Saturday 12pm to 2.30pm and 5.30pm to 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Stock
This classy restaurant is widely recognised as one of Manchester’s best Italians. It occupies the fine Old Stock Exchange building whose magnificent 50-foot domed ceiling and original marble features create instant atmosphere. Sophisticated and relatively expensive, it’s cheaper at lunchtime when there are good fixed-price menus. Stock’s food reflects the best of southern Italian cooking – hearty, inventive and full of robust flavours. A starter of thinly-sliced two-month-aged boned rolled shoulder of pork served with buffalo mozzarella and spiced olives is a delicious example. Another is veal loin steak on a bed of spinach with gorgonzola and cream, perfectly matched with your pick from the award-winning wine list. Jazz duos, trios and quartets play to an appreciative audience on Friday nights from 8pm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Stock reviews from OpenTable diners
- Stock ManchesterzinzinDined on 9/6/2012The old Stock Exchange in Manchester provided a wonderful setting for an excellent lunch. The two course set menu was good value and the risotto was authentic Italian. The wine list delighted a lover of Italian wines both for choice and price and should shame London equivalents!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodSimonDined on 8/6/2012A bit awkward to start with as we had booked the 2 courses for 13.50 deal which toptable said was available if you ordered up to 7pm - the restaurant policy was up to 6.30! The food, however, was fantastic. Good Italian menu with good meat, fish and pasta options.I would recommend this to a friend.
- StupidityDavidLDined on 5/6/2012Stock confirmed a booking for noon on Tue 5th June BUT was not open - how stupid is that?
- special offertopazDined on 22/5/2012I was very disappointed with the special offer menue. The choice was very limited and main dish was not match the ambience of the placeSpecial Features:
- Fathers day outingFtillybearDined on 3/5/2012Very disappointed as I was allowed to book this resturant on Sunday a fathers day outing for the family and it was closed.it does not open on a Sunday I suggest open table or whoever get their facts correct before advertising venues to be booked spoilt our day travelling there to find it was closed and being fathers day everywhere was already booked. Would have gone elsewhere had I k ow very poor service from open tableSpecial Features:
- Arrived at stock Manchester,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 28/4/2012Arrived at stock Manchester, couldn't find our booking, then when we asked about the offer, told that it finished at 6.30pm, thankfully I had my booking with me which clearly stated orders must be made before 7pm so they let us have the deal which is a bargain, the food was fab, king prawn risotto (more prawns please and needed seasoning). The service wasnt good, waited 15 minutes on sitting to order a drink, 2nd bottle of wine I had to open myself and plates left, focused on large parties!
- A nice dining experience inLManchesterVIPDined on 18/4/2012A nice dining experience in wonderful surroundings of Manchester's former Stock Exhchnage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last night's visit to StockOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/4/2012Last night's visit to Stock restaurant was for a "cheap tea" whilst we were in Manchester with friends. Table booked for 6.30pm but not seated until 6.45pm. Couldn't fault the starters. However we chose steak and chips as our main course and unfortunately it was very poor in that the steak was far from tender. As always drinks expensive but we overcame the hurdles and enjoyed the evening. Not sure I'd visit again though.
- We went to Stock on a fridayJonBDined on 9/3/2012We went to Stock on a friday night with two other couples. The building has a beautiful domed ceiling and there is a very nice ambience. There was a singer on which was a nice touch and made for a nice evening. The food is Italian and was very good, as was the service. The only thing which spoiled things was they overcharged us on the bill quite badly, which would definately put me off going again.
- a difficult review. The ScallopsTolroyDined on 28/2/2012a difficult review. The Scallops starter, good portion and well cooked, an excellent Homemade Lobster Ravioli in a Pink Crayfish starter and main. The olive bread seemed not 100% fresh and the balsamic/olive was 90@ balsamic. Two mains Escalope of Veal Cooked in a Crayfish Tails in Termador Sauce was very disappointing. Not tender meat, what seemed like a few small prawns not crayfish and an average sauce. The panna cotta sweet was superb. I bottle of wine, 4 pre meal drinks at £50 per head.
- First time visitor. VenueOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 28/2/2012First time visitor. Venue beautiful. Early Bird menu good value. Main course portion size a little small, but left room for pudding. Sadly the service just wasn't a match to the surroundings - had to ask twice for some drinks, and a Latte ordered at the end of the meal first cold, when a replacement was asked for it was microwaved to ridiculous levels - so much for "steamed milk". It was removed from the bill after our complaint. In summary - nice food, shame about the service.
- Very good 3 course meal ..excellentAlexDined on 18/2/2012Very good 3 course meal ..excellent value for money with pleasant service.
- Came with TopTable offer soJamieWDined on 11/2/2012Came with TopTable offer so relatively good value. Beautiful building / room but on Saturday lunchtime all diners sat around the outside of the room. For some reason we were initially offered probably worst table in the room ( because we were on an offer). starter of pate ok ...did not need to be paired with garlic bread as flavours conflicted. Friend enjoyed whitebait. Main of sea bass was fine, friend's veggie tart looked a bit lonely with just salad. Poor and v expensive glass of Merlot
- Strock restaurant in Manchester,hungrykidDined on 10/2/2012Strock restaurant in Manchester, where my wife and I recently had the special offer of a very reasonably-priced 2-course lunch, was enjoyable beyond our expectations. My wife chose a tasty fish dish and I had a perfectly cooked steak in pepper sauce. The Italian wine was lovely too. The service was impeccable and the staff were helpful and friendly. We shall certainly go there again.
- Great venue, very majestic.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 20/1/2012Great venue, very majestic. Plenty of hubbub so you couldn't hear other tables' conversations. Marvellous service, really good food, all of us enjoyed it. Going back for the 'Opera' evening.
- Stock, Manchester - impressiveRichardDined on 11/1/2012Stock, Manchester - impressive room and decor, attentive service. Fixed-price menu adequate but predicatble. Full menu good - spoilt for choice! Wine list vast: £20 to £160. Food good, with substantial helpings.
- Saturday lunch in Stock, ManchesterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/1/2012Saturday lunch in Stock, Manchester was perfect for my mother and I. Excellent food, superb choice on the lunch menu, friendly staff and good wine. The venue is very impressive.
- Stock Restaurant Manchester.... MyStarvedJaws2012Dined on 3/12/2011Stock Restaurant Manchester.... My second visit, very nice and relaxing, nice little touches to the table - christmas crackers,food excellent as usual. Probably go back in the new year.
- Our group went to Stock inOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/12/2011Our group went to Stock in Manchester last night for a family meal after a days Xmas shopping. We chose the restaurant on the basis that it was highlighted as child friendly. Our group consisted of 2 adults 2 teenagers and an 8 and 12 year old. Whilst the food was excellent particularly the fillet steaks, we were disappointed with the choice of starters that were quite limiting for kids. No garlic bread, no pizza etc. Great venue for adults however. Would go back but without kids.
- Visited Stock, self styledNeepsDined on 29/11/2011Visited Stock, self styled as Manchester's Premier League Italian Restaurant.The starter portion of Gnocchi was excellent
- Stock Manchester, troubleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 18/11/2011Stock Manchester, trouble finding it but worth it when u do. Staff were nice and polite. Help with wine was excellent, we sampled a few before choosing one. The food was very good and very filling for price we paid. Mix of special offers and full menu was mixed up on the bill but was resolved after two tries. Restaurant is a little crammed but wasn't bad.
- Having read the reviews IOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/11/2011Having read the reviews I expected the service to be very average and portions small. The service was excellent- very attentive. We had the early bird set menue and the standard of food was also excellent and great value for money.
- Stock, Manchester - LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/11/2011Stock, Manchester - Lovely restaurant, good service, great food. Steak was cooked well. Wine I wanted was not available but offered a similar, which was very nice. Antipasti misto is good size for 2 people and mains portions are big.
- Stock in Manchester City CentreOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2011Stock in Manchester City Centre isn't a place you just walk past but is a really lovely setting for a meal with friends and a beautiful venue. We booked the special offer menu...the main course was quite a small portion but, this left room for dessert and the food was delicious. There was quite a good choice for a set menu too. The service was ok, contrary to some of the reviews we'd read, but it wasn't busy when we were in. We would definitely go there again!
- Stock, manchester We hadOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/11/2011Stock, manchester We had three course, which were very nice, however, w ehave had better and that is why I am only giving an 8. The place is nicely decorated and quite intimate. Its also very big with extremely high but impressive ceilings. We went early so it is expected that it was quiet, but as it is near Winter without as many people to heat the hug room, my partner was cold and I do not recall hearing any music.
- We had lunch at Stocks inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 29/10/2011We had lunch at Stocks in Manchester, 2 courses for £13.50. Lovely room, food was very good but not a lot of choice on the set menu.
- We arrived wet after walkinggeraldoDined on 27/10/2011We arrived wet after walking through rainy Manchester and were welcomed in by the pleasant staff and immediately shown to our tableand relaxed. The meal at £15 for 3 courses was a snip and excellent value. We were very impressed by the building and the ambience. Its well worth a visit.
- We went to Stock in ManchestermydiningDined on 22/10/2011We went to Stock in Manchester on Saturday night for an early dinner special. The building is impressive and the staff are attentive. I opted for some sort of breaded cheese starter while my companion went for the chicken liver. The main was a pasta dish which was fine but not fantastic. The other main we went for was beef which was well done even though she asked for it medium. So the starter was better than the main. Although it wasn't an amazing meal I'd give it another go.
- Stock, in the old StockOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 22/10/2011Stock, in the old Stock Exchange in Manchester City centre is a stunning venue, really quite special. We ate at 5.30pm on a Saturday and the place got quite busy, so the atmosphere was very good, even at that time. Food was excellent, as was the service. Three course meal for £15 was very good value and enough choice as well. Will definitely return.
- Had a fabulous family lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 22/10/2011Had a fabulous family lunch at Stock, Manchester. The venue is amazing and the service continued the theme giving the impression of being honoured guests. We had the 2-course and 3-course deals - exactly the same food as if a la carte! red mullet fillet with a hint of chilli, steak beautifully done and a creme brulee to die for! Added to this we suddenly found one of our party had to leave 45 minutes after ordering - no problem, it was accomplished to the minute. Have rarely been so impressed!
- Stock. Manchester FantasticChester2Dined on 18/10/2011Stock. Manchester Fantastic building, good food and service. However... be aware that main courses don't arrive with any accompaniments and by the time you add over £3 each for veg, potatos etc it can push the price of EACH main course UP by another £6. Oh.. don't forget the 10% service charge that's added to the bill too - the final tally can take the shine off an otherwise nice meal.
- I had dinner in Stock, ManchesterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2011I had dinner in Stock, Manchester last night with a friend. The food and service were both excellent and I would definitely recommend it to everyone.
- Two of us visited Stock inMooseDined on 4/10/2011Two of us visited Stock in Manchester for the first time and were both mightily impressed. The food was excellent, atmosphere really pleasant and three courses with wine only cost us £50 between us. A restaurant to return to without doubt.
- The Stock Exchange in ManchesterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 30/9/2011The Stock Exchange in Manchester was a good night out. The food was decent, the venue was amazing and the service was warm and welcoming.
- The food was delicious andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 21/9/2011The food was delicious and very filling.. however the service was a little poor to begin with, girl on recpetion wasn't very friendly and didn't welcome us very well, one of the group I was with asked to go to the bathroom the girl behind the bar didnt even know where it was, I even had to point my name out on a bit of paper to show them who we were so they knew where to seat us - very odd!! shame as the pace is lovely n food was great - staff need to understand english easier!
- My first visit here. WonderfulSaAMDined on 7/9/2011My first visit here. Wonderful dining room but strangely empty and lacking atmosphere. Maybe the aftermath of the recent riots ,or perhaps its more of a lunchtime / early evening vemue. Food pretty good but a lttle overpriced. Wont be rushing back.
- Stock was as usual, a greatMrsBHeswallDined on 17/8/2011Stock was as usual, a great experience with gorgeous food and very attentive service. The offer was fantastic and I will go there againa dn again and again
- Stock Restaurant Manchester,BobWDined on 12/8/2011Stock Restaurant Manchester, is such a beautiful space in which to dine, the pressure is lessened on the cuisine and service! Despite that the chef usually produces well executed and tasty meals and last night was no exception. The value of the earlybird menu is excellent we enjoyed Bruchetta and asparagus soup, followed by a really tender well cooked steak all for £13.50. 2 earlier meals from their a la carte in the last month, were beautifully presented and enjoyable. The staff are great.
- The Stock Exchange, 4 NorfolkOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 26/7/2011The Stock Exchange, 4 Norfolk Street, Manchester, M2 1DW service exellent and very friendly staff the decor and the way the tables were laid out (not sat next to anybody else could have a private conversation with no body listening) food was exellent and very generous portions a little expensive but not over the top overall a very enjoyable experience definately go again
- Stock, Manchester - ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 19/7/2011Stock, Manchester - Excellent food though a little expensive. Service can be a little slow when busy but very friendly. Very good winelist but rather limited cocktail list.