26b Albemarle Street
London, W1S 4HYNeighbourhood:
JapanesePrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sumosan.com/
- Phone: 02074955999x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00PM - 3:00PM
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 6:00PM - 11:30PM, Sunday 6:00PM - 10:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Bubker Belkhit
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Outside catering and take-away service.
A word from Sumosan Restaurant
Sumosan delights the senses with its innovative menu extraordinarily fresh sushi and contemporary luxurious interior. It has established itself as one of London's finest Japanese restaurants. The JBar, located on the lower ground floor of the restaurant is a valuable addition to the Mayfair bar scene.Continued
Sumosan created the limited edition Sumosan hamper beautifully packed by uber florist Rob Van Helden - the perfect gift innovation this Christmas for friends or clients.
Sumosan created the limited edition Sumosan hamper beautifully packed by uber florist Rob Van Helden - the perfect gift innovation this Christmas for friends or clients.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Sumosan Restaurant - Best restaurants in Mayfair ›
Sumosan Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since 21 October 2013
business meals (35)special occasions (32)fit for foodies (29)romance (24)good vegetarian options (13)group bookings (12)sunday lunch (10)pre/post theatre (7)outstanding value (6)disabled access (3)child friendly (3)outdoor eating (2)brunch (2)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- Not what it used to bejaacqueesDined on 7/10/2014I used to go there regularly from 2007 to 2010. I went back this week for the first time in over a year. I found that the service standards were lower than they used to be. Maybe they were just having a bad night but we waited over 30 mins for our mains - which had never happened before. Also they discontinued lychee juice. When I pointed out to the waitress that they used to have it, I got the usual answer where you get the impression that the waiter tries to "call your bluff" as it were: "oh we haven't had it since I started working here!" Aside from that, the food is still delicious. And that's what matters in a restaurant.Special Features:
- Food is great ambiance is dwindlingBellaVIPDined on 28/9/2014Food is great as usual although slightly pricey but the ambiance wasnt as fun and lively as it has been in the pastSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely good sushinathaliecadDined on 31/8/2014Sumosan is one of my favourite sushi restaurants, the Tuna tartar with quail egg and creamy truffle is one of my favourite dishes EVER. This time tho, the service wasn't very good. The waitress apparently was having a bad day, she dropped food in tables and our champagne twice and didn't said sorry, probably cause we were young (22) like her and she didn't wanted to "humiliate" herself. For such an expensive restaurant I truly expect a better service. At the end it turns out she served us the wrong bottle of champagne and we realised only when the bill came to our table. Again, she didn't said sorry. But I would go back since i'm a big fan of the food.Special Features:
- Amazing food and amazing atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/8/2014We enjoyed every single of our meal the food was delicious! Can't wait to dine again with u ! Best food in London yum !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food, service so-soGeraldineDined on 30/7/2014We absolutely loved the dishes, but they kept checking out our glasses and asking whether we wanted more.. that got a bit annoying. More annoying was when they asked for the table back because they needed to seat a party of 10. There were 4 empty tables on each side of us, so if they knew of another party coming at some point, they should have sat us somewhere else from the start.Special Features:
- MassimomamoDined on 26/7/2014Average at best. Absolutely plain vanilla japanese food that one can find at Itsu or any cheap lower end sushi chain. Not worth a visit but a compliment to the staff at least, they were the only highlight.
- Обязательно рекомендую.VenusDined on 13/7/2014Все было вкусно как всегда. Я пошла с детьми и сестрой. Заказывали что обычно. Спасибо.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TK88Dined on 28/6/2014This restaurant is one of my favourite Japanese in London. The food is always of a very high standard & is delcious. The young lady who served us was very charming & informative. The atmopshere always relaxed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic service incredible sushi!aboacomidaDined on 18/5/2014A spur of the moment dinner on a Sunday night resulted in us finding Sumosan as the closest Japanese restaurant open near Victoria. We were greeted efficiently on arrival and seated immediately. Wait staff were attentive without being intrusive and the sushi was incredible. The offer of a sommelier was provided for my wine choice which was a nice touch and indicative of the level of restaurant. Mains were very good but not outstanding. Scallops were slightly rubbery but the soft-shell crab was good. We'd definitely dine here again, but skip everything else in favour of sushi or sashimi.Special Features:
- Food quality is below expectationFrancisDined on 16/5/2014I had better quality of food, presentation and taste-wise, at other similar restaurants in London. We had ordered a couple of set lunch and did not feel excited with the look of it, unlike at the other restauarants that we had tried during our trips last year and the current one. My experience was based only on the set lunch.
- One of the best restaurants in UKHudHudDined on 14/5/2014I think if you would like to have your meal outdoor and like to eat high quality food, you should visit this restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - sushi not so!HaniaDined on 8/5/2014The food overall is good. Lobster salad and J special Salmon sashimi is really good. However, the sushi rolls are average or a bit below average. The appetizers were way better than the sushi. Black cod is really good too.
- Amazing Food! Spectacular dessert!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2014Sumosan is possibly one of the best sushi restauranta in London. But what makes this an ideal spot for couples and group dinners is probably the dessert! Unique in taste and presentation Sumosan is a must for japanese cuisine lovers! I have yet to receive a negative comment from somebody that has dined here. Spectacular yet again! It never lets me down!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VLvukiVIPDined on 23/4/2014Best Shushi in London, and always such a pleasure to go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in LondonLillyDined on 23/4/2014One of the best restaurant in London. First class menu. Delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed feelingsjpfchDined on 5/4/2014The food was very good, but service not up to earlier experiences. Between the first and second course there was quite some time elapsed which was surprising as the restaurant was not full. More disturbing, couple of lovers sitting on the bench (where usually on person sits) next to us, doing what lovers do, should not be tolerated in this type of restaurant. The staff did not intervene. The clients cannot intervene.
- DavidDavidDined on 4/4/2014The evening started well with superb choice of cocktails and excellent starters. However, the main courses were poorly cooked (dry fish, overcooked vegetables) The waitress clearly noticed we were unhappy with the quality, but refraimed from asking whether we enjoyed the mail as the plates were cleared. When we complained about the food quality whilst paying the waitress admitted it was not as good as comparable restaurants who charge much less. Whilst leaving the army of front of restaurant staff offered no apology when they asked us how our evening was to which we replied "diappointing" Maybe it was just the courses we ordered, but for the prices charged do not warrant the price tag
- The worst place I've everCAFEDined on 2/4/2014The worst place I've ever been. First time I feel like I waste my money. Service - there is no one. The table near the cash desk - very interesting solution for beach cafe^ but not for restaurant in London's centre.Main course was before sashimi, sticks must be changed after each plates and so so ... But sashimi were nice and wine list not so bad like all other issues.
- Tasting menu delightKingy1515Dined on 1/4/2014starters and sushi were incredible. with the tasting menu you get a plate each, but then themain meat and fish arrives and you have to split that. seems strange. otherwise just stunning food great service and i will keep going backI would recommend this to a friend.
- To be avoided at any cost.FineDineDined on 21/3/2014To be avoided at any cost. Very poor and over priced food.
- A friendly Japanese restaurantAnneDined on 20/3/2014A good variety of very fresh sushi and sashimi. Good and interesting combination of sushi rolls. Nice and friendly service. An overall very nice experience and not overly priced as other Japanese restaurants in London can be. A place I will definately return to and also recommend to my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for business lunchRichardDined on 18/3/2014Sumosan retains its high standards- great food, excellent presentation and prompt, polite serviceSpecial Features:
- We had the bento boxes atemilysDined on 3/2/2014We had the bento boxes at lunch. £25 per person. Great deal and a lot of delicious food, soup, followed by sushi/sashimi, main, rice, salad, tempura and then a pudding. All very delicious. Service a little slow to begin with.Special Features:
- Delicious food, let down by serviceheadsthefieldDined on 25/1/2014The food was great - very pricey but worth it as it's delicious. However at that price, you expect decent service, and the service we had did not match the price. Surprising as it's been fine before. Just a few reasons in particular: - waiter spilled a lot of the Sake on the table while he tried to pour it. Without saying anything he cam back to wipe it down and we asked if we could have some more to make up for it (it was about a wineglass full). He then forgot and we had to ask our regular waitress. Bit sloppy for a top restaurant. - we asked our waitress twice and another once for another serving of rice. It never came in the end. + point - they agreed to change in some eel for one of the others in the sashimi set.Special Features:
- Consistently excellentEatinglondonVIPDined on 23/1/2014I have been coming to Sumosan for ten years and the food is beautiful. If you love sushi the regular sushi set is great but we tend to also go for the T&T (tuna truffle mmmmm) and some extra bits! The wasabi prawns are lovely also! Excellent choice of sake too! Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best sushi in LondonJessica16VIPDined on 17/1/2014This place is without a shadow of a doubt the best sushi in London. I have tried so many on various scales, and this place truly made me fall in love with Japanese food again. An absolute must! Would highly recommend the truffled tuna tartare appetizerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was delicious. CocktailsSushigirlDined on 30/11/2013Food was delicious. Cocktails were not of good value, the bartender would not fill the glass to the top. Everyone sitting around mean the restaurant seemed to be in a miserable mood, loads of unhappy couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent experienceGeorgiVIPDined on 16/11/2013Excellent food experience. Great variety of sushi rolls and main courses. Very nice environment and friendly staff. Highlights: black cod with miso and dark and white chocolate fondant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelming and OverpricedLolaDined on 26/10/2013This place was just ok. It had Nobu prices but no quality, ambiance or service to justify. I've had much better sushi elsewhere. If you want to pay this kind of money for sushi, go to Nobu.
- Great place. You feel veryjpfchDined on 22/10/2013Great place. You feel very welcome arriving and there is a good ambience in the room. Pleasant service staff and a great sommelier. Excellent food and a great wine list. i recommend this restaurant for business dinners, dinners with a groupo of friends (so you can taste many dishes) or a romantic dinner with your loved one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 315 reviews are from the Sumosan Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great food but turn down the music!HLCfoodieDined on 8/10/2013Lovely dinner as ever, but spoiled a little by the slow service and loudish music. Perhaps I am just too old but I had a hard time hearing my dinner companions. On the plus side, the fish is always superb and for the first time I had the dark and white chocolate fondant which was absolutely amazing! Will miss Sumosan when I am away but will be back as soon as I can!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss the Lobster Salad!FoodieKuwaitDined on 12/8/2013Great restaurant with an elegant menu. Our waiter did recommended us great dishes and we weren't disappointed. 3 dishes are not to be missed as the t&t sushi, the lobster salad and the Chocolate fondant as dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but lacked atmosphereMissEllyDined on 25/7/2013I cannot fault the food or the service in this excellent Japanese eatery. However it did feel a little lacking in atmosphere. We went with my adult children to celebrate my son's birthday. We were a little early but seated immediately. There was no evidence of the opportunity to spend time in a bar area - although the bar below ground was discovered later. Food was really excelllent but portions are not large. Overall it was somewhat pricy £250 for 5 people, with a couple of cocktails but no wine, but all in all I suppose that you get what you pay for - and the food is excellent!Special Features:
- gOOD FOOD, BUT EXPENSIVEvinodVIPDined on 23/7/2013We thought the food was very good, but i was somewhat pricey for what it wasSpecial Features:
- disappointingxuhuVIPDined on 1/7/2013Worst meal for a long time. Sat down at 19:30, ordered bottle of sake, some sashimi and sushi, two bowls of noodle soup. not complicated ? wrong! nothing came to our table 25min apart from water. Table next to us had 3 generations of Arabs, they sat down 10 minutes after us and got food piled onto the table. eh? how does that work? eventually I threatened to leave and food appeared within the last 30 seconds of my 5 minute ultimatum. food itself is OK just the service is so slow and off-putting. when we said we'll leave, the waiter said "OK" - shows you how much he cares. Don't go.
- DelightfulNaecoDined on 26/6/2013Delightful as always. Highly recommend the Albermarle Roll and the Green Seaweed SaladSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I hopedwesleybDined on 23/6/2013The restaurant was very busy but the decor reminded me of a business hotel lobby. It was dark and divided into two sections which killed the atmosphere. Food was ok - but the menu was complicated and unclear and there was another smaller menu inside which we didn't understand and wasn't clearly explained. Key ingrediants in the sushi was left off the description and we had to send some food back with lots of bones in it and a hair. One or two of the appetisers were really really good. The staff were what saved this from being a total disaster! They were attentive, courteous and helpful.
- Wonderful Japanese foodViccccVIPDined on 21/6/2013Went there with two other friends last Friday. The food was delicious, with a bit of fusion of the west, some of the dishes like sea urchin risotto was really amazing! The waitress was very well mannered, which made the dining experience more enjoyable. All in all, would love to visit it again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No reason to come backOllyVIPDined on 7/6/2013I think once upon a time Sumosan was a great place, but now with so many amazing Japanese restaurants in town it's just one above average. It's good to go there once, but no reason to come back.
- Love it !JJ12VIPDined on 4/6/2013We come here all the time and we absolutely love it! No matter what day of the week it is sumosan always has a nice crowd and a good vibe. Everything tastes amazing and the service is very attentive. One of our London favourites. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.