167 Drury Lane, Covent Garden
London, WC2B 5PGNeighbourhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.tamarai.co.uk/
- Phone: 02078319399
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 5:30PM - 11:30PM Late Night Bar - till 2AM (Tue-Thu); till 3AM (Fri & Sat) Sundays & Mondays - Only for pre-booked parties of 25 to 300 guests
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian
- Executive Chef: Manish Mehrotra
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Outdoor parties Specialized catering at over 40 venues in London.
- Private Party Facilities: We do have semi-private Dining areas and Bar areas available for cocktails and canapé parties.
- Private Party Contact: Anjali Myers 02078319399
A word from Tamarai
Like the Lotus flower that it is named after, Tamarai metamorphoses from a perfect stop for a couple of terrific cocktails after work to a late night bar, having recently been awarded the best late night bar in London by Theme Bar & Restaurant Awards 2008. Dinner from 5:30pm features Chef Manish Mehrotra’s critically acclaimed menu pan Asian Menu coupled with Master of Wine Tim Atkin’s selection of 130 wines making it a memorable evening. Post 11:30 pm on Friday and Saturday, the light dims as the bar and music hold sway and Tamarai’s resident video jockey bewitches you with his imagery into wee hours of the morning.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tamarai reviews from OpenTable diners
- DisappointmentsmurfDined on 13/11/2012I had booked a table for 2 to celebrate my partners birthday months in advance through toptable. Much to our disappointment it was closed on this day and no one had called us to tell us which left us with no other option but to dine elsewhere.
- Friends catch upJayMDined on 5/9/2012Upon arriving surprised to see how busy and Lively the atmosphere was. Ordered from the Al la carte menu And was very impressed and the cocktails are a must. I was disappointed that the waiter failed to acknowledge our booking through top table which I was informed as a no show? Despite the mis communication I definatly will be returning again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food but a little emptyHabondDined on 31/8/2012I went on a Friday evening with a date, couldn't fault the service or the food, in was fantastic. The only thing I would note is that the restaurant even at 8:30 was less than half full and so the ambiance was lacking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot of foodWineDined on 31/8/2012We tried the nine course taster menu and it was really good. The only downside was the the restaurant was a bit too dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining in a nightclubCRuizDined on 30/8/2012the food was ok but it feels too much like a nightclub for my liking. It might be alright on Friday and Saturday when the club is open and you can go for a bougie afterwards but it was fairly empty on Thursday and didn't have much of an atmosphere.Special Features:
- Average food. Poor atmosphere.stockingDined on 30/8/2012Average food. Poor atmosphere. I wouldn't recommend although ok value for money on the dealSpecial Features:
- great value for moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 29/8/2012The 3 courses for £15 is brilliant. If you order strategically and all order something different you end up with your own tasting menu - all for £15!Special Features:
- Superb value!EatingOutDined on 24/8/2012Excellent value for money when used with the 50% off offer. Great location and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value food in covent gardenhungrylocustDined on 21/8/2012My guest was terrified to enter as the place was several layers down in the basement and looked like a nightclub which it is. However, the food is worth going underground. We had the £15 menu for 3 courses. Can not fault it for quality and value. Desserts were exotically interesting especially the banana ice cream although the frozen elderflower sorbet was hard as a rock and couldn't be attacked. . Excellent value but we were the only table in the entire place as we were there at 6pm. Woudl be great place for a party.Special Features:
- Strange interior but nice experiencGreedygutsDined on 17/8/2012Went here with 5 others on a Friday. On arrival there were only 2 tables occupied so was very quiet (this was at 7.30pm). The interior is really dark with some strange purple lights on the bar. It made me feel like it was trying a bit too hard to be cool and upmarket...but it wasn't really doing the trick for me. Interior aside, the service was great - waitresses were polite and helpful and food was nice. We had the 50% off 9 course taster which was great for us as we could try lots of dishes. It wasn't the best food I've had (the starters were really lovely but found the main, thai green curry, just a bit bland and boring) but on the whole it was very tasty and nice to try things I wouldn't usually! All in all everyone had a lovely time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tamarai. Never again!lovetoeatDined on 16/8/2012Rude staff, the manager had an attitude, he became so defensive when I told him that our food wasn't being cleared after we finished. We had to on several occasions try to hunt the waitress down. With all this they still charge a hefty service charge. The food wasn't all that great either!
- Awful ServiceMelissaDined on 16/8/2012Mediocre meal, no atmosphere and quite possibly the worse service I've experienced in a long time. We had to ask for menus, ask for drinks, ask for someone to take our food order. Food was cleared away whilst we were still eating, we had to ask for replacement cutlery. Our 'Waitress' was a surely antipodean who's attitude made it clear she wanted to be anywhere else but at work. £15 for 3 courses was good value, and the food was delicious (Great starter of Chilli root and red curry main course - inedible dessert of sticky toffee pudding) but the poor service and atmosphere has put me off returning or recommending this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Taste SensationkiwiepicureDined on 15/8/2012This is our second trip to Tamarai. We went for the 3 courses for £15 which is great value and I have to say the Chicken Dim Sum was delicious. I had the date pancake for dessert which when it came out I felt let down by the portion size but what it lacked in size it made up for in flavour. The ambience of the venue is fantastic and we'll be going back for the taster menu, the non-alcoholic cocktails are well worth a mention - very refreshing. The disappointments were minor and did not detract from the overall experience. Trying to order an additional portion of prawn crackers was a trial and whilst advertised as having a selection of dips - there was only 1, also the green curry was not the best I've ever eaten, a little bit heavy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pan-Asian Fusion Food - Pretty GoodKetbergsDined on 11/8/2012Chose this place as had heard that the pan-asian menu for vegetarians was pretty good and the main selling point was the fact that at 11pm the restaurant turns into a club playing the best in hip hop and r n b. Cocktails were nice but rather unimaginative and a little bit limited in choice but the food was excellent. The vegetarian options were excellent and particularly loved the goats chees and sweetcorn spring rolls. Food was well presented, flavoured perfectly and original in make up. Only issue I had was the fact that they rushed us towards the end of the meal with the bill appearing without request and the waiter turning up with the card machine without having been given the opportunity to at least review the bill.Special Features:
- briiliant!!!loveforthaiDined on 11/8/2012Booked Tamarai for thé saturday just gone for a group of us to go out for a meal and dancing. It was easy to book and there were no issues on arrival even though I'd booked it at the last minute. On arrival, we were promptly shown to our table and given menus for both food and drinks. The service was great, noone hovering over us constantly when we weren't sure on what to order. Although the venue was quite hot, we quickly forgot about that when our food came. We ordered a variety of small plates and main dishes. Sadly though there wasn't much of a choice on the menu. Would definitely go back and the thai green chicken curry was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem !RoddersDined on 1/8/2012What a find !! Fantastic hidden gem in the heart of town , went there for an easy dinner - took the toptable 3 courses for £15 offer and cannot fault , fantastic food , great venue , would be good at the weekend for a drink too !! We will absolutely be going again !Special Features:
- THURSDAY TREATSUZIEVDined on 26/7/2012WE WERE USING A SPOTLIGHT VOUCHER AND THANK GOODNESS. ALTHOUGH THE FOOD WAS DELICIOUS AND PRESENTED BEAUTIFULLY, WE DID FEEL THAT IT WAS SOMEWHAT OVER PRICED, EVEN WITH THE VOUCHER. THERE WERE ONLY A HANDFUL OF TABLES BEING USED, SO THE AMBIANCE WAS PROBABLY NOT AS GOOD AS IF IT HAD BEEN FULL. HAVING READ THE INFO BEFOREHAND, WE WERE EXPECTING A BIT OF A 'BUZZ'. WOULD ONLY REALLY RECCOMEND FOR A SPECIAL OCCASION BECAUSE OF THE COST.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Subterranean location!LadyToots1VIPDined on 24/7/2012Whilst the food was OK, there was nothing special about it and there were no little extras like a few prawn crackers which I expected even on a £15 for 3 courses meal deal. My main issue is that to get to the restaurant you have to go along long, dark (brown) corridors and flights of steps to arrive in a very large and dimly lit dining area. A few tables did have lights above them but my guest and I struggled to read the print on the menus at our table! There was little or no atmosphere as there were only about 8 other diners whilst we were there ( 7.30pm - 8.45pm), and I did not like the music or the small video screens showing dance, I think!To be fair,my criticisms may only find resonance with older diners, but I will not be going back.
- Overpriced, bad take-away food.RejRebDined on 21/7/2012Tamarai was a huge disappointment. We ordered 3 starters, including the soft shell crab, and the pomelo salad. The soft shell crab (£16) consisted of a few small morsels and was overly salty. The pomelo salad never arrived and, when we asked after it, were told the chef hadn't been happy enough with the pomelo to send it out. Realising the food wasn't going to be good, we didn't order a replacement. They did bring us champagne as apology, which was nice. Main was the crispy fish (average) and the vegetable dumplings, noodles and coriander butter, which was genuinely horrible. I ate about three mouthfuls and left it. The wine was excellent. The crowd was mostly hen do's and pre-clubbers. Try Cicada in Holborn - delicious and half the price.
- Great FoodNoruegaDined on 20/7/2012We had a great time in the restaurant. The food was lovely and it was very filling. Good value for money, as the restaurant turns into a dance floor after 10.30PM. Recommend this restaurant for a saturday night dinner with a group of friends or just a couple thing.Special Features:
- standarddoaweeDined on 19/7/2012when i first walked in, the place looked great, but i didn't quite find that it was value for money.Special Features:
- Nice...MmmmmmmDined on 12/7/2012I went with two of my girl friends... They loved it!! It's a place which I take most of my friends and family. They only thing that I need to pick at is the fact we had to ask three times for a bottle of water which we didn't recieve till half way through our meal. In general the food was amazingly fresh and kicked lots of flavour :-)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tamarai's disapointing dinnerAndyVIPDined on 7/7/2012A shocking experience! our starters arrived with the main course! My main course was wrong and the waiter was encouraging me to have it anyway! i said No! My rice never arrived and when i asked for it i was told that i had made a mistake by NOT ordering it!! and finally to top things off we were CHARGED for my birthday deserts!! HOW CHEEKY after spending £400.00
- excellent restaurantms123Dined on 7/7/2012Amazing food, excellent service, really good combination of flavours for cocktails. Veg friendly lots of starters to choose from. the creme brulee desert is delicious. would definitely go back. was not rushed for tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tasting MenuCatalinaVIPDined on 6/7/2012Our dinner was booked at 18.30, which was a little early, but other diners soon arrived and the atmosphere was great. We ordered the 9 course tasting menu which was on a half price deal which made this great value for money. The food was exceptional particularly the Tiger Prawns. service was excellent and we chose the special wines to go with the meal which was very good. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Tummy is full ....Delicious69Dined on 30/6/2012This is the second time we have been to this restaurant, food was delicious as usual! and curry is tasty. We had the tasting menu on this occasion. Last time service was very slow and we complained about this, But in a week it seems everything was up to standard and went smoothly. I would say try and get a early booking if not staying for the club as you may find food is rushed as they want to change into party mode very quickly! if not enjoy half price MOHITOS at 10pm...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At the time of booking i bookedAngel1Dined on 30/6/2012At the time of booking i booked this restaurant because of the special offer three courses £15.00, but when we arrived at the restaurant we were told this offer is not available, the restuarant offered us an alternative tasting menu but this was £26.00 per person, and overall the food was nice but this worked out to be very expensive for us as the drinks were very expensive and there was a staff tip included in the bill , if money was not an option this would be a lovley restaurant to come to as the food was great, but it was disappointing that the information at the time of the booking was incorrect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at a great pricetexmarshallDined on 28/6/2012Great food at a great price but lacks a little atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TamaraiPriaDined on 25/6/2012We have dined here before and it is a good venue to go with a group of friends. The service is friendly and efficient, the food is really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay food, decent serviceamg0623Dined on 23/6/2012Food was okay. Too much spice- obviously covering up a lack of taste in the dishes. 9 course taster menu was barely worth it at half off. No way worth full price. Service was good. Very attentive to the dishes being removed etc. Won't be going back.Special Features:
- I have turned into my fatherMikeTheMortgageManDined on 22/6/2012We had a family dinner at Tamari on a Friday night using the Top Table offer. We really enjoyed the food and whilst not my favourite place for ambience still like the venue. However the young ( and not so young) women diners seem to have replaced conversation with screaming gave me a headache and reduced our experience from excellent to good. Whilst i probably will not go back to Tamarai it is probably still a great place for a young person on a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goog night outDkvmDined on 22/6/2012food was good but limited options on menu, would be nice for a few more veg option. Good dessert.handy venue turns into club!good music!!!therefore good for a night out with mates!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodabstractDined on 22/6/2012The food was great.. different flavours.. unexpected combination..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok for pre theatreBettybooDined on 21/6/2012Good location as only took us 5min to walk to the theatre nearby. Booked the pre theatre £15 for 3 courses deal. Food portions were small (3 prawns for the main) but tasty. The wine was expensive though. Probably wouldnt go back.Special Features:
- Tamarai is one of my favouriteannonymousDined on 20/6/2012Tamarai is one of my favourite Thai restraunts - the staff were excellent and very accomodating, the food was gorgoues as always and the £15 3 course deal was exceptional value for moneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceksinghVIPDined on 19/6/2012great food and service, worth the visit, great experience, a must.
- Tamarai never disappointsMuseOfMarketingVIPDined on 15/6/2012Got a great TopTable offer (tasting menu for 50% off!) and as usual headed there for a relaxing meal. Food is excellent, ambience like a cool nightclub. Only strange thing to comment on: we had 2 waiters and both could do with a tactful chat about deodorant and/or uniform washing as there was a whiff of body odour on both occasions unfortunately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PReviously much betterACDiningDined on 15/6/2012Went to Tamarai for my birthday party as have had a few good nights out here a few years ago. 9 course tasting menu yummy but only just about a reasonable price with the half price offer (£26) - definitely not worth £52. Drinks pricey and seemed to have lots of problems with bar staff e.g. not knowing how to make a gin & tonic?? Was looking forward to the party after as used to get quite busy after 10pm with R&B music on Fridays - there was hardly anybody else there though so atmosphere went a bit flat and we ended up going elsewhere! DEfinitely not what it used to be which is a shame.Special Features:
- Tamarai tasting menu dealfoodloverDined on 15/6/2012Went to Tamarai on a Friday evening with friends for the 50% off 9-course tasting menu. This deal was very good value and the food was nice. Overall we enjoyed the meal, but the whole experience wasn't as slick as other Pan-Asian restaurants in central London. The entrance is a bit strange (down 2/3 flights of stairs), and initially the place looked a bit sparce without many tables (perhaps as it becomes a dance floor / club later on). The service was a bit confusing, we weren't sure who was serving us and had to ask a few different people to take our order and for drinks. Having said that, the food was very good and the tasting menu was a good option. Also all diners get 3 hours free parking in the NCP Drury Lane which is very convenient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.LisaJVIPDined on 15/6/2012Although the food came a little two quick, we had just finished one course and the other would be delivered. We actually had to ask them to slow down.