Tamarind of Mayfair
20 Queen Street
London, W1J 5PRNeighborhood:
IndianPrice: £41 and over
Tamarind of Mayfair
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tamarindrestaurant.com/food.php
- Phone: 02076293561x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday 12:00PM - 2:30PM, Sunday 12:00PM - 2:30PM
Dinner: Monday-Saturday: 5:30PM - 10:45PM, Sunday 6:00PM - 10:15PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Alfred Prasad
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from Tamarind of Mayfair
Tamarind provides a classic combination of indisputable knowledge, unique experience and tradition that holds worldwide recognition. The restaurant offers guests a sophisticated fine dining experience with effortlessly charming staff, discrete service and tantalizing food that few can compete with, ensuring guests come back for more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Tamarind of Mayfair - Best restaurants in Mayfair ›
Tamarind of Mayfair reviews from OpenTable diners
368 reviews since 20 May 2014
special occasions (194)business meals (166)fit for foodies (134)romance (118)good vegetarian options (102)pre/post theatre (69)group bookings (56)sunday lunch (23)outstanding value (23)child friendly (12)brunch (7)outdoor eating (5)afternoon tea (2)disabled access (1)Show More
- movingaroundthecityDined on 15/9/2014The service at the start of the evening was great but as the restaurant got busier so the service declined and we had to ask for dessert menus, ask to order dessert, ask for coffee, and ask for our bill. The starters, a selection of kebabs was outstanding and the desserts were great but the main course, the signature dish, was very average with the chicken being hard. The buzz in the restaurant was great and hopefully we caught the restaurant off on a bad daySpecial Features:
- Delicious as everGuyandLucyBDined on 12/9/2014My wife and I enjoyed a delicious "date night" early supper at Tamarind. As ever, the service was excellent and the food extremely tasty. Lively atmosphere. Heartily recommended for those who like top quality Indian food.Special Features:
- RosieJanieDined on 8/9/2014We had an early pre theatre reservation, waiters/waitresses excellent, attentive and willing and able to give explanation of menus. Made you feel special. Food delicious and plenty of it. Nice calm friendly atmosphere in restaurant. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 急き立てられるような感じhisakiDined on 7/9/201422:15の予約で、10時少し前に到着し、受付でも歓迎されたのに、10時がラストオーダーだと言われて急き立てられるように感じた。Special Features:
- Lovely service and food!LizkentDined on 5/9/2014Was recommended by a family member food was outstanding and staff very helpful - was not hurried in any way fully enjoyed our meal and definetley be back!!Special Features:
- Food was Nothing SpecialJimboDined on 4/9/2014The table of three chose the Dawhat menu at £56 inclusive. The starters were very good, interesting tasty and well balanced. The main course of a chicken dish and a lamb dish with a small selection of vegetables was bland and uninspiring. The dessert of a carrot fudge, carrot cake and Mango Kulfi was again very uninspiring and pretty tasteless. They forgot to serve the coffee !! I was expecting much more interesting food with dishes to stimulate and titivate the taste buds. Apart from being very well presented it was no better than many Indian restaurants I have eaten at. Tamarind may well have all the attributes that make it a Michelin star restaurant, but the food is Not one of them. Very disappointingI would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 30/8/2014The food was very good, but overall this was an outrageously expensive experience; £16 for a very ordinary glass of white wine. This maybe a Michelin star restaurant but the quality of the food did not justify the bill. We will not be returning.
- Fantastic night outLMJMDined on 30/8/2014We had a great time with the set menu and the service was truly impeccableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tamrind MayfairGerry0510Dined on 29/8/2014This place is chilled, enjoyable and super relaxed to enjoy the very best indian food. Staff are lovely and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/8/2014We went to tamarind to celebrate my girlfriends birthday and the service was excellent quick and very efficient, made us feel very special. The food is very nice one of the best Indian food in Mayfair and I've been to all of them.. It's abit pricey but so worth the visit. We will definitely be returning soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wholly disappointingAaronAaronGillDined on 16/8/2014The table was booked online for 1730 however they did not open till 1740. The signature dish of lamb shank was definitely not freshly prepared and poorly heated to boot. The ambience was good and the attention from staff similar. Overall, a very poor dining experience as the quality of food was below par and for a restaurant of this ilk, thee can be no excuse. Further, an email I sent to the restaurant relaying my concerns remains unacknowledged to date. Avoid.
- Fantastic TamarinddldvDined on 15/8/2014wonderful Indian cuisine with incredibly well blended spices and flavors. The best.Special Features:
- High-Level Indian cuisineMagentaDined on 15/8/2014I read a review about this restaraurant in a food magazine and booked a table online. The service was outstanding, the food very fresh and top-notch. We had chicken masala and prawns in a coriander sauce. Both dishes were very nicely flavored. There was also a nice range of different wines available. Prices are high but acceptable for this quality. Definitely worth for a nice evening dining out in London.Special Features:
- OutstandingLinystewDined on 15/8/2014We had a fantastic dinner here- the waiter made some brilliant recommendations to us which we loved!! The food was beautiful- everyone should try at least once!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night or for close friendsIndianfoodfanDined on 11/8/2014Food is delicious, the lamb shank is a favourite! Service makes you feel like a queen, and ambience is romantic, or warming depending on who you're with. Loved every minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a very good experienceAKhanDined on 4/8/2014Food was great, service was outstanding! well done and I shall return.Special Features:
- Great food, disappointing serviceToughluckDined on 3/8/2014I visited Tamarind last Sunday evening with my husband and mum-in-law whose birthday it was. The food was outstanding. The vegetarian menu was good - the methi paneer, kofta and bhindi dishes were great. But the service was rather disappointing. We were served the wrong drink and kept waiting for 20 minutes for breads we'd ordered. Despite letting the restaurant know in advance that it was my mum-in-law's 64th bday and we'd be happy to pay for something extra they could do, nobody remembered this request until we were about to leave when I was presented with a poached pear on a decorated plate - underwhelming!! I wish the restaurant had put a but more thought in making our evening special and matching the service with the quality of food.Special Features:
- Amazing eveningKathak13Dined on 3/8/2014The food exceeded my expectations in flavour in particular the starters, the kebab was nice and chilli, the tiki was soft and the lamb chop literally was melting in my mouth. All of the dishes were lovely and the service is outstanding- right from the moment we walked in. I would highly recommend this place to friends and family. Being Indian myself it's one of the best restaurants I've been to! The only thing I fault (which is a personal choice; is the seabass which needed more of a kick!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brilliant.hungryhoraceDined on 2/8/2014had a great evening! the staff are very friendly and highly professional. the restaurant is lovely and screaming out high end yet had a comfortable feel to it. and the food was awesome. a must for anyone visiting London, i will definitely return.Special Features:
- Wonderful foodCTYankeeDined on 2/8/2014The food was delightful. The service was earnest, but alternately intrusive and neglectful. The room is dim and, because of its subterranean location, gets no natural light. It wasn't inexpensive, but the food is excellent and there is a good deal on the menu I'd like to try during future visits.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ash17Dined on 2/8/2014Food was very expensive for what it is, And needs to be more spicy. Overal it is too formalSpecial Features:
- IIFFVIPDined on 30/7/2014Good location, great food. Go for the lamb shank, i took the recommendation of the staff and was delighted in the end.Special Features:
- A bit disappointingFineDiner24Dined on 26/7/2014I'd heard good things and expected amazing food. I was disappointed by the lack of taste in all of the dishes we tried as part of their 4 course taster menu. My partner and I were relieved when our meal finally came to an end. I'd say there are more authentic (and definitely cheaper) Indian restaurants in places like Southall or Wembley in West London. I have only given a good rating for the ambiance as it was let down by the closeness of tables and the fact we had some annoying lady speaking very loudly sitting beside us, it was incredibly difficult not to overhear her entire conversation :-( apart from the outstanding service Tamarind of Mayfair you need to step your game upSpecial Features:
- Castle14Dined on 25/7/2014Best Indian Food I have ever eatten. Excellent Food, Great Service.Special Features:
- I love this place!jardaokDined on 24/7/2014I simply love taste of Tamarind! There is no other Indian restaurant which would fit so much to my palate. Its great restaurant which represents a must whenever I stay in London!Special Features:
- Will visit againNathanDined on 24/7/2014Visited this very good indian foodie with my family for lunch, pleasant service, good advice from the server with regard to the menu... ordered tasting menu for lunch & had a bit of everything. Loved the food & will visit againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday TreatQueenieVIPDined on 21/7/2014I booked this table for my Birthday on a Monday and it was wonderful. The staff were very courteous and helpful when we need some advice on what to order. The restaurant seemed really busy for a Monday and this added to the lovely atmosphere inside. The food was delicious and I would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 15/7/2014Nice staff but not sure what the fuss is about ! Food very average . Or we chose badly ?
- WonderfulFoodieDined on 11/7/2014The food was amazing and the service was great. Would definitely go again when I'm in London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food but great settingluvfoodDined on 9/7/2014I went to Tamarind with my husband and a friend with the aim to try an Indian michelin star restaurant and see how they make Indian food go a step further. I have to say that the food itself was not noteworthy, I know atleast 10 other places in London where you can get the same or better quality for less than half the price. However, the restaurant has a lovely decor, good service and an ambience fit for special occasions. Food , although not inspiring, is authentic. Some dishes have been given a western twist which I think was a bab idea (for e.. gajar halwa served on carrot cake)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/7/2014To be honest I was disappointed with the hurried service and also quality and standard of the food especially being a Michelin 1 star restaurant. I have been to much better restaurants.Special Features:
- indian dinnertopogigio66Dined on 5/7/2014Food so and so, good service with the waiters, but the maitre was very stupid with us. Good choise of wines with the sommelier
- Limited menu but tastyKarmicDined on 29/6/2014Not your regular Indian but what it lacks in choice is made up for in refinement. How it got a Michelin star is a mystery - its not that good - but I would still recommend it for a treat. Its not very good value for money but the service is pretty decent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/6/2014I booked here for my other half as it was his birthday. The food is nothing special, I expected much better, starters were nicer than main course. Service was sloppy, I ordered a drink and wasn't given it, yet we were charged for it on the bill and had to point this out. We had many different waiters maybe that causes the confusion and no attention to detail. Atmosphere is very nice. For the price we paid, I just expected a Wow factor which we didn't experience.Special Features:
- Shame the service was so pooLuv2eatDined on 26/6/2014Have wanted to come to this restaurant for a while and ended up meeting a friend there for a pre theatre dinner set menu. Unfortunately the service was so poor. We were asked what we wanted to eat within 5 mins of taking a seat. I had to order all three course choices together (never had this done before where you had the preorder even dessert before even getting our drinks). Then was asked multiple times whether we would like some more drinks/wine immediate after our glasses were empty. To be honest I could wait to not get bombarded by the waiter. Not worth going there again and would not recommend it. Service is appalling and there is a feeling of trying to get customers in and out ASAP.
- A Taste of India in MayfairROYALAIRFORCE1Dined on 16/6/2014My guests for lunch on the 16th of June were HH Maharaja Sawai Padmanabh Singh of Jaipur and his Father Maharaj Narendra Singh. Naturally I wanted the occasion to be a success, and so I telephoned the restaurant in advance to make a reservation, to ask for a side table, and to advise the staff on the necessary Royal protocol. Unfortunately all incoming telephone lines were out of order, and there was just a voicemail answering service. I attempted repeatedly to contact the restaurant by telephone to no avail. I left a message on the voicemail asking for someone to call me ASAP. I used the Open Table site to make a table booking and asked also for someone to telephone me. No one contacted me for 24 hrs. Very poor PR !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- caz4foodDined on 15/6/2014Unfortunately I found the restaurant did not cater for children
- Nice placeFoodiex4Dined on 13/6/2014Decent food, good, attentive service. Vegetarian choices are ok, no surprises here. Wine list is very good. It was an enjoyable eveningSpecial Features:
- Top restaurantCurryhunterDined on 13/6/2014Having eaten in some of the best indian restaurants in London including Benares, Veeraswamy, Moti mahal etc I looked forward to eating here. Did not disappoint, I had the lamb kadhai probably the best lamb dish iv gaf at a restaurant...I asked for a little extra spice which it certainly had! My partner had the chicken tikka which was pleasant. Overall I would place this slightly behind Benares on overall dining experience however the food wad on a par with the best iv had.Special Features:
- exquisiteAdWJDined on 5/6/2014Well done to Tamarind again. service is impeccable. fast for business lunches and with OT special makes it well worth the trip. Food most delicious.Special Features: