Tamarind of Mayfair
20 Queen Street
London, W1J 5PRNeighbourhood:
IndianPrice: £41 and over
Tamarind of Mayfair
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tamarindrestaurant.com/food.php
- Phone: 020 7629 3561
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday 12:00PM - 2:30PM, Sunday 12:00PM - 2:30PM
Dinner: Monday-Saturday: 5:30PM - 10:45PM, Sunday 6:00PM - 10:15PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Alfred Prasad
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from Tamarind of Mayfair
Tamarind provides a classic combination of indisputable knowledge, unique experience and tradition that holds worldwide recognition. The restaurant offers guests a sophisticated fine dining experience with effortlessly charming staff, discrete service and tantalizing food that few can compete with, ensuring guests come back for more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Tamarind of Mayfair - Best restaurants in Mayfair ›
Tamarind of Mayfair reviews from OpenTable diners
357 reviews since 28 November 2013
special occasions (195)business meals (164)fit for foodies (125)romance (119)good vegetarian options (98)pre/post theatre (76)group bookings (57)outstanding value (29)sunday lunch (23)child friendly (13)outdoor eating (5)brunch (4)afternoon tea (3)Show More
- A bit disappointingMozza81VIPDined on 22/11/2014This was my most disappointing visit to Tamarind (I've been several times and it's always been excellent). For main course I had the Lamb Biriyani - there was very little meat and the rice was rather dry. Hopefully an isolated case.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/11/2014We had a set dinner and for an aficionado of Indian food (given we don't have any in Brussels) this was disappointing. There was absolutely no variation in any of the dishes, tasteless curries. The Burgundy wine was excellent which at more than one hundred pounds a bottle was nevertheless overpriced. Staff on the other hand were attentive and helpfull !
- Used to be much better, becoming complacent.burntoutcaseDined on 12/11/2014Food service was good. The biryani with pastry lid was good but the chicken tikka (Murgh Makhini) was OK but I've had better for much less in Birmingham. Wine service was abysmal; slow and a lack of availability of the cheaper options was spoiled by paying nearly £60 for a very ordinary white and the same for a red (Probably when on offer in Tesco wouldn't cost more than £6). Overall, it worked out at £100 a head. Kristal Rose is £643-ish on the wine menu, which is 650% margin on trade price and the wines I ordered were about 600% mark up. Over nearly 30 years of eating there the food was this time, average and wine expensive. A shame. It used to be very good. I felt ripped off.Special Features:
- Fantastic meal. Great for a special occasion.AGoxDined on 12/11/2014Great meal. Fantastic service. Great for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a favouriteTaraCVIPDined on 12/11/2014Tamarind never disappoints. Excellent meal as always - and possibly better than our last visit. Service is lovely and unobtrusive. Only slight glitch is that the last couple of times they've been there, they've run out of the single malts my husband requested. Might be an inventory issue there. Overall, though, this was another lovely night at Tamarind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingGeorgeDined on 10/11/2014A thoroughly enjoyable experience from the moment we walked in to when we left. The food and service was impeccable.Special Features:
- wife's birthdaymagpie40065Dined on 9/11/2014Dining at the tamarind for my wife's birthday was for both of us a fantastic experience.the staff were lovely.a great night..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodMetteDined on 8/11/2014delicious food, fantastic service and pleasant price level. WIll defeinetly reccomend this place!Special Features:
- ShazDined on 6/11/2014I was extremely disappointed with the food. The main course in particular. It tasted too sweet and hardly any chillies in the main course. I would have expected to be asked whether I wanted the food to be medium or hot in spices. This is not unusual at good restaurants. Furthermore, the starter lacked salt and the Mango Lassi was very runny. More like a watery milkshake than a mango lassi. The dessert was nice but again nothing outstanding. I had expected a lot more presentation to the food, which I believe was lacking. I will not be recommending Tamarind to friends and colleauges. I had come from Sheffield to experience the taste. I left very disappointed indeed.
- TamarindTfood4thoughtDined on 4/11/2014The restaurant has the best Indian food outside of India. There are great selections and the food is highest quality. The staff are professional and attendant to the customer's needs.Special Features:
- tommo300Dined on 4/11/2014food great table service could improve a little , v noisy in the basement but would recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageKjellusDined on 2/11/2014Nice place but I was really dissapointed about the main course. We were two the choose one of the set menues. The starters were fantastic (5-star) but the main course was nothing special, and rarely I complain about too much food. But they should serve less, and try to make the main more special. Dessert was ok, one great piece and two averages. In total I was dissapointed knowing this is a Michelin star restuarant. I know many indian cuisine that have as good food as this.
- GREAT FOOD AND SERVICEgeorge117Dined on 1/11/2014WE ENJOY INDIAN FUSION MENUS AND THIS RESTAURANT OFFERS THIS. THE MEET AND GREET MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD AND THE INITIAL INTRO TO THE SERVICE TEAM IS A REAL PLUS.WE WERE HELPED WITH OUR CHOICE OF MENU AND WE DID NOT REGRET IT -THE FOOD WAS OUTSTANDING. THE OTHER BIG PLUS WAS THAT WE HAD A BOTTLE OF INDIAN WINE AND WE REALLY ENJOYED IT.THANKYOU TAMARIND.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super foodSusanDined on 31/10/2014Extremely good food.Well spiced and good flavours. Quite buzzy with good ambience, Service was attentive without being intrusive. Is definitely on my list of places to eat in London. Is not cheap but is perfect for an evening out if you want quality dining. Generous portions. We were full.Special Features:
- Yum yum yumDrFHDined on 30/10/2014I've been going to a lot of Indian restaurants lately and was recommended Tamarind by my uncle. Went there to treat my sister and we were not disappointed. We had the set lunch menu but overall bill was still a lot. I'd say it was fairly worth it though. Service was great and waiters friendly. Desserts quite disappointing but rest of food lovely- especially lamb chops and tandoor salmon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal alwaysIslandgirlDined on 26/10/2014I have been going to Tamarind for some time. They never disappoint! The food is great, good service! The chocolate covered mint leaves are amazing! I love going there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MevhappidinerDined on 26/10/2014Generally a good experience with delicious food, if a bit expensive. The dessert was very disappointing and arriving early the restaurant was quite empty and lacked atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!cam74Dined on 24/10/2014Except for that we had a table next to the kitchen and that the waiter forgot to ask about wine before the starters came, the service from then one where excellent, the food delicious and a very good ambience. Can recommend this restaurant the outmost!Special Features:
- Awesome Service!Foodie4lifeDined on 23/10/2014The meal at tamarind was perhaps the best vegetarian Indian meal for me in my two years in London. The service was outstanding and the hospitality was warm and effective. The guy gave me free dishes and drinks and also a special discount.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningFantasticDined on 23/10/2014Fantastic food served by friendly helpful stuff in a resteraunt full of atmosphere. Must be tried if you get the chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous LunchRufaroDined on 22/10/2014We were very impressed with the service & quality of food. A very good treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedShyamVIPDined on 21/10/2014Was disappointed with my experience of Tamarind. The staff were overly-friendly - returning to the table every couple of minutes, making conversation and jokes with us when we were trying to enjoy the company of the others at the table. Presentation of food was excellent, but I felt like the vegetarian options were very limited.Special Features:
- Menu was depletedLondonDDined on 19/10/2014I had picked a wine online prior to going - got there and "this is the one we don't have!". OK, so I guess it was bad luck that from the rather compact (but admittedly excellent) menu the choices my wife and I made were .... "ohh, sorry but these are not available tonight." For a restaurant with the fame of Tamarind, that has a hostess guide you to the table while poining out the facilities available, not to also point out what is not available on the menu prior to spending 15 minutes deciding is bad form. It was like they hoped I would not choose, and they would therefore not have to admit.... I just about walked out. But in the end, what we did order was very good... just not what went there for. So yes it was great food, but I can find great Indian elsewhere.
- Outstanding FoodTamRevDined on 18/10/2014If you are looking for a great Indian meal, Tamarind is a wonderful choice. It's not cheap, but it was what I expected from a price point when making the reservations. This may have been the best Indian meal I've ever had. It was a wonderful part of our London vacation.Special Features:
- Service???FoodGloriousFood14Dined on 18/10/2014I booked a meal for 10 for my birthday. It was a Saturday. The restaurant wasn't too busy. Very nice restaurant although a little small but makes you feel very cosy. Food was good. The only issue was that although staff were extremely helpful they added a lot to the bill that wasn't asked for and did not inform us that we would be charged for. For example, as more guests arrived, they continued to open bottles of water and pour away without asking. They also brought out extra sauces that we didn't ask for. It is a lovely restaurant and I'd happily go again, I'd just be more aware of what they are doing.Special Features:
- WowGoyoChDined on 15/10/2014Best indian restaurant in London, Great service, Delicious food, surprising in every aspect!!! Thank You!!!Special Features:
- Food is very goodSaratDined on 15/10/2014Very good service Good food Good for both Veg and non veg Good for business dinners and also with familiesSpecial Features:
- MDFSSP2011Dined on 14/10/2014wonderful ambience, excellent food, wide variety of options to choose from. the staff were so very attentive and very polite with lovely manners. just charming, easy location and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- It's all about the serviceAgricfowlDined on 12/10/2014The care and the attention paid by the staff is really top notch. The service is only surpassed by the food, which is outstanding. My wife and l enjoyed the fact that our waiter (perhaps he is the head waiter) brought things to our table that we hadn't asked for but he had noticed we needed. Kudos to the attention paid. It was appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good experienceMarthaDined on 9/10/2014All the group was pleased with the food, service and the restaurant is beautifully decoratedSpecial Features:
- Indian Sustainability!ShibauraAirTowerDined on 8/10/2014I visited Tamarind again after my first visit end of last century. It is still an amazing place to go. Upon arrival we were hosted at the bar for a few minutes until our table was ready (wonderful table to view restaurant, guests and bar during dinner). We got immediate recommendation for a cocktail to start with and had a lot of fun even in the first minutes. The service at the table (recommendation of food, drinks, wine etc.) was perfect - appearance always just on time and with the needed support. Food was delicious and we were sad to leave at the end of our night. Good value for money!Special Features:
- Amazing!!NMFRDined on 5/10/2014While we were expecting very good food, the food went beyond our expectations. Everything we ordered was superb, the ambience was very pleasant. A very good dinig experience!Special Features:
- Not your normal IndianMikeCDined on 4/10/2014The reason to go here is to have an Indian which is not like all the others. The quality of the ingredients is excellent, the flavours great and whilst obviously Indian generally not too spicy.
- Lacking flavour and finesseHungryHippoDined on 3/10/2014My wife and I came to Tamarind with high expectations, having tried some of Tamarind's offerings at the Taste of London festival. The reality was disappointing. Although tasty, the food lacked oomph and zing - too little spice, too little excitement, too little balance. I am lucky in that my local Indian restaurant is excellent, but the food there is probably better but for half to a third of the price. I have really enjoyed upscale Indian - at Chutney Mary or the Cinnamon Club say - but this was disappointing by those standards.Special Features:
- several timesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/10/2014Been over 10 times to this restaurant. Always excellent food and serviceSpecial Features:
- Been coming here for yearsBibsarelliDined on 1/10/2014I just love Tamarind. Alfred,Jespal and the team get it right every time. Took the highest critic, my mother for my birthday lunch and she agreed, the food is excellent. Thank you for looking after me for 15 years!...and many more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still amazingLynnDined on 30/9/2014We dine at Tamarind every time we travel to London. It's our big night out. It is a wonderful restaurant and we have never been disappointed. The menu is refreshed regularly with new items interesting and original. We love it.Special Features:
- Fantastic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 27/9/2014The restaurant itself was lovely and the food and service were both amazing. My husband and I love Indian cuisine and this is the best we have eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth the trip.LuvIndianFoodDined on 25/9/2014My wife and I stopped in London for 2 days after a month long vacation in Europe and the Canaries. One of the main reasons to stop was so my wife could experience what I had at Tamarind in 2012. I cannot possibly find enough superlatives to describe the food and service at Tamarind. Having eaten at many high end restaurants in major Indian cities, I can say that Tamarind is up there with the best. When it comes to service, I have never experienced more welcoming and polished service than that at Tamarind. Tamarind is a must not miss when in London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveGoodFoodLoveGoodFoodDined on 20/9/2014This was our second visit to Tamarind. We live in USA so not easy to visit as regularly as we'd like. Our waiter, Robin. recommended dishes and he was right on every one. The prawns with coconut and the lamb shank are a must! Oh, and don't forget to have a cocktail too!! Wish I had been able to try everything on the menu! Great service.Special Features: