Tamarind of Mayfair
20 Queen Street
London, W1J 5PRNeighbourhood:
IndianPrice: £41 and over
Tamarind of Mayfair
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tamarindrestaurant.com/food.php
- Phone: 02076293561x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday 12:00PM - 2:30PM, Sunday 12:00PM - 2:30PM
Dinner: Monday-Saturday: 5:30PM - 10:45PM, Sunday 6:00PM - 10:15PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Alfred Prasad
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from Tamarind of Mayfair
Tamarind provides a classic combination of indisputable knowledge, unique experience and tradition that holds worldwide recognition. The restaurant offers guests a sophisticated fine dining experience with effortlessly charming staff, discrete service and tantalizing food that few can compete with, ensuring guests come back for more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Tamarind of Mayfair - Best restaurants in Mayfair ›
Tamarind of Mayfair reviews from OpenTable diners
356 reviews since 21 October 2013
special occasions (189)business meals (163)fit for foodies (131)romance (115)good vegetarian options (99)pre/post theatre (74)group bookings (57)outstanding value (29)sunday lunch (23)child friendly (13)brunch (5)outdoor eating (5)afternoon tea (2)disabled access (1)Show More
- Service???FoodGloriousFood14Dined on 18/10/2014I booked a meal for 10 for my birthday. It was a Saturday. The restaurant wasn't too busy. Very nice restaurant although a little small but makes you feel very cosy. Food was good. The only issue was that although staff were extremely helpful they added a lot to the bill that wasn't asked for and did not inform us that we would be charged for. For example, as more guests arrived, they continued to open bottles of water and pour away without asking. They also brought out extra sauces that we didn't ask for. It is a lovely restaurant and I'd happily go again, I'd just be more aware of what they are doing.Special Features:
- WowGoyoChDined on 15/10/2014Best indian restaurant in London, Great service, Delicious food, surprising in every aspect!!! Thank You!!!Special Features:
- Food is very goodSaratDined on 15/10/2014Very good service Good food Good for both Veg and non veg Good for business dinners and also with familiesSpecial Features:
- MDFSSP2011Dined on 14/10/2014wonderful ambience, excellent food, wide variety of options to choose from. the staff were so very attentive and very polite with lovely manners. just charming, easy location and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- It's all about the serviceAgricfowlDined on 12/10/2014The care and the attention paid by the staff is really top notch. The service is only surpassed by the food, which is outstanding. My wife and l enjoyed the fact that our waiter (perhaps he is the head waiter) brought things to our table that we hadn't asked for but he had noticed we needed. Kudos to the attention paid. It was appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good experienceMarthaDined on 9/10/2014All the group was pleased with the food, service and the restaurant is beautifully decoratedSpecial Features:
- Indian Sustainability!ShibauraAirTowerDined on 8/10/2014I visited Tamarind again after my first visit end of last century. It is still an amazing place to go. Upon arrival we were hosted at the bar for a few minutes until our table was ready (wonderful table to view restaurant, guests and bar during dinner). We got immediate recommendation for a cocktail to start with and had a lot of fun even in the first minutes. The service at the table (recommendation of food, drinks, wine etc.) was perfect - appearance always just on time and with the needed support. Food was delicious and we were sad to leave at the end of our night. Good value for money!Special Features:
- Amazing!!NMFRDined on 5/10/2014While we were expecting very good food, the food went beyond our expectations. Everything we ordered was superb, the ambience was very pleasant. A very good dinig experience!Special Features:
- Not your normal IndianMikeCDined on 4/10/2014The reason to go here is to have an Indian which is not like all the others. The quality of the ingredients is excellent, the flavours great and whilst obviously Indian generally not too spicy.
- Lacking flavour and finesseHungryHippoDined on 3/10/2014My wife and I came to Tamarind with high expectations, having tried some of Tamarind's offerings at the Taste of London festival. The reality was disappointing. Although tasty, the food lacked oomph and zing - too little spice, too little excitement, too little balance. I am lucky in that my local Indian restaurant is excellent, but the food there is probably better but for half to a third of the price. I have really enjoyed upscale Indian - at Chutney Mary or the Cinnamon Club say - but this was disappointing by those standards.Special Features:
- several timesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/10/2014Been over 10 times to this restaurant. Always excellent food and serviceSpecial Features:
- Been coming here for yearsBibsarelliDined on 1/10/2014I just love Tamarind. Alfred,Jespal and the team get it right every time. Took the highest critic, my mother for my birthday lunch and she agreed, the food is excellent. Thank you for looking after me for 15 years!...and many more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still amazingLynnDined on 30/9/2014We dine at Tamarind every time we travel to London. It's our big night out. It is a wonderful restaurant and we have never been disappointed. The menu is refreshed regularly with new items interesting and original. We love it.Special Features:
- Fantastic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 27/9/2014The restaurant itself was lovely and the food and service were both amazing. My husband and I love Indian cuisine and this is the best we have eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth the trip.LuvIndianFoodDined on 25/9/2014My wife and I stopped in London for 2 days after a month long vacation in Europe and the Canaries. One of the main reasons to stop was so my wife could experience what I had at Tamarind in 2012. I cannot possibly find enough superlatives to describe the food and service at Tamarind. Having eaten at many high end restaurants in major Indian cities, I can say that Tamarind is up there with the best. When it comes to service, I have never experienced more welcoming and polished service than that at Tamarind. Tamarind is a must not miss when in London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveGoodFoodLoveGoodFoodDined on 20/9/2014This was our second visit to Tamarind. We live in USA so not easy to visit as regularly as we'd like. Our waiter, Robin. recommended dishes and he was right on every one. The prawns with coconut and the lamb shank are a must! Oh, and don't forget to have a cocktail too!! Wish I had been able to try everything on the menu! Great service.Special Features:
- Indian at its bestSEB13Dined on 19/9/2014If you want Indian food in style, this is the restaurant to go to. Food was amazing, every dish bursting with flavour, portions sizes were good, extensive wine list and impeccable serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/9/2014Dinner felt very rushed , pushed into a corner table with no space to move. Experience ruined by what appeared to be the bar manager , when he got our drinks order wrong. We went to Banares, and it was far superior.
- Good yo gaste tupí al indian dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 18/9/2014We waited for 20 minutes to get our table; the waiter was nice and made good sugestions; food was incredible, specially lamb. Our french Wine was warm; we has to chill it down. Fresh and tasty desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- movingaroundthecityDined on 15/9/2014The service at the start of the evening was great but as the restaurant got busier so the service declined and we had to ask for dessert menus, ask to order dessert, ask for coffee, and ask for our bill. The starters, a selection of kebabs was outstanding and the desserts were great but the main course, the signature dish, was very average with the chicken being hard. The buzz in the restaurant was great and hopefully we caught the restaurant off on a bad daySpecial Features:
- Nice foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 15/9/2014the food was nice, not greasy at all, I enjoyed it. However, they add a 7.5 supplement if you have lamb which is slightly frustrating. we went for the set menu for £24 which was nice value for money. The non alcoholic drinks were lovely tooSpecial Features:
- fantasticqueenieDined on 15/9/2014We had a lovely meal here and in fact, could not finish our food as there was so much and we only had two courses. Would definitely recommend this restaurant and if you have the set menu, take the wine with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 13/9/2014We spent quite a lot of time researching restaurants for our Saturday night meal having dined at many London restaurants over the years and wanted someting different this time. We were so happy that we chose Tamarind because the food was fantastic and the service was excellent. We can't wait to go back. Oh and you will love the cocktails.Special Features:
- Delicious as everGuyandLucyBDined on 12/9/2014My wife and I enjoyed a delicious "date night" early supper at Tamarind. As ever, the service was excellent and the food extremely tasty. Lively atmosphere. Heartily recommended for those who like top quality Indian food.Special Features:
- RosieJanieDined on 8/9/2014We had an early pre theatre reservation, waiters/waitresses excellent, attentive and willing and able to give explanation of menus. Made you feel special. Food delicious and plenty of it. Nice calm friendly atmosphere in restaurant. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 急き立てられるような感じhisakiDined on 7/9/201422:15の予約で、10時少し前に到着し、受付でも歓迎されたのに、10時がラストオーダーだと言われて急き立てられるように感じた。Special Features:
- Lovely service and food!LizkentDined on 5/9/2014Was recommended by a family member food was outstanding and staff very helpful - was not hurried in any way fully enjoyed our meal and definetley be back!!Special Features:
- Food was Nothing SpecialJimboDined on 4/9/2014The table of three chose the Dawhat menu at £56 inclusive. The starters were very good, interesting tasty and well balanced. The main course of a chicken dish and a lamb dish with a small selection of vegetables was bland and uninspiring. The dessert of a carrot fudge, carrot cake and Mango Kulfi was again very uninspiring and pretty tasteless. They forgot to serve the coffee !! I was expecting much more interesting food with dishes to stimulate and titivate the taste buds. Apart from being very well presented it was no better than many Indian restaurants I have eaten at. Tamarind may well have all the attributes that make it a Michelin star restaurant, but the food is Not one of them. Very disappointingI would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 30/8/2014The food was very good, but overall this was an outrageously expensive experience; £16 for a very ordinary glass of white wine. This maybe a Michelin star restaurant but the quality of the food did not justify the bill. We will not be returning.
- Fantastic night outLMJMDined on 30/8/2014We had a great time with the set menu and the service was truly impeccableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tamrind MayfairGerry0510Dined on 29/8/2014This place is chilled, enjoyable and super relaxed to enjoy the very best indian food. Staff are lovely and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/8/2014We went to tamarind to celebrate my girlfriends birthday and the service was excellent quick and very efficient, made us feel very special. The food is very nice one of the best Indian food in Mayfair and I've been to all of them.. It's abit pricey but so worth the visit. We will definitely be returning soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wholly disappointingAaronAaronGillDined on 16/8/2014The table was booked online for 1730 however they did not open till 1740. The signature dish of lamb shank was definitely not freshly prepared and poorly heated to boot. The ambience was good and the attention from staff similar. Overall, a very poor dining experience as the quality of food was below par and for a restaurant of this ilk, thee can be no excuse. Further, an email I sent to the restaurant relaying my concerns remains unacknowledged to date. Avoid.
- Fantastic TamarinddldvDined on 15/8/2014wonderful Indian cuisine with incredibly well blended spices and flavors. The best.Special Features:
- High-Level Indian cuisineMagentaDined on 15/8/2014I read a review about this restaraurant in a food magazine and booked a table online. The service was outstanding, the food very fresh and top-notch. We had chicken masala and prawns in a coriander sauce. Both dishes were very nicely flavored. There was also a nice range of different wines available. Prices are high but acceptable for this quality. Definitely worth for a nice evening dining out in London.Special Features:
- OutstandingLinystewDined on 15/8/2014We had a fantastic dinner here- the waiter made some brilliant recommendations to us which we loved!! The food was beautiful- everyone should try at least once!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night or for close friendsIndianfoodfanDined on 11/8/2014Food is delicious, the lamb shank is a favourite! Service makes you feel like a queen, and ambience is romantic, or warming depending on who you're with. Loved every minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a very good experienceAKhanDined on 4/8/2014Food was great, service was outstanding! well done and I shall return.Special Features:
- Great food, disappointing serviceToughluckDined on 3/8/2014I visited Tamarind last Sunday evening with my husband and mum-in-law whose birthday it was. The food was outstanding. The vegetarian menu was good - the methi paneer, kofta and bhindi dishes were great. But the service was rather disappointing. We were served the wrong drink and kept waiting for 20 minutes for breads we'd ordered. Despite letting the restaurant know in advance that it was my mum-in-law's 64th bday and we'd be happy to pay for something extra they could do, nobody remembered this request until we were about to leave when I was presented with a poached pear on a decorated plate - underwhelming!! I wish the restaurant had put a but more thought in making our evening special and matching the service with the quality of food.Special Features:
- Amazing eveningKathak13Dined on 3/8/2014The food exceeded my expectations in flavour in particular the starters, the kebab was nice and chilli, the tiki was soft and the lamb chop literally was melting in my mouth. All of the dishes were lovely and the service is outstanding- right from the moment we walked in. I would highly recommend this place to friends and family. Being Indian myself it's one of the best restaurants I've been to! The only thing I fault (which is a personal choice; is the seabass which needed more of a kick!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.