406 Richmond Road
Twickenham, TW1 2EBNeighbourhood:
IndianPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tangawizi.co.uk/
- Phone: 02088913737
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 6pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 6pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Tangawizi
Tangawizi restaurant in London’s East Twickenham, close to Richmond Bridge, earned the well-heeled locals’ devotion right from the off. The chef is ‘trained by and strongly recommended by Vineet Bhatia’ and that’s saying quite a lot. The dining room is very smart, mood-enhancingly lit in saffron and blackberry with details of beautiful sari fabric inlaid in the tables. Dishes are authentic North Indian, but cutting-edge and contemporary, the way we Londoners like them: the freshest of ingredients, little oil, sparkling flavours. Try the mixed platter of starters to share to really browse the possibilities, then choose something like spicy marinated red snapper in tempura batter served with cheddar and Parmesan risotto, with one of the lovely dahls on the side. The traditionally-clad waitstaff are very attentive and the whole experience a winner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGood Vegetarian Options
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Tangawizi - Best restaurants in Richmond ›
Tangawizi reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since 23 October 2013
good vegetarian options (45)fit for foodies (40)special occasions (31)group bookings (23)business meals (20)romance (17)outstanding value (12)pre/post theatre (8)sunday lunch (6)child friendly (4)disabled access (1)Show More
- Excellent night out.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014Food was very good and service was great. Will definitely be returning in the future.I would recommend this to a friend.
- wish all Indian food was like thisOrlandoDined on 27/9/2014Very well cooked. Not too fatty or salty. Excellent service. A bit more expensive than the usual Indian restaurants but you get what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TangawiziOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 21/9/2014Delicious food, slightly unusual, son tried - and liked - something different from his usual korma. Nice presentation. Quite dear. I don't like tips being included in the bill. Atmosphere spoilt by very loud party (big family group). Difficult for restaurant to manage their noise level.Special Features:
- Great nightdavid24Dined on 19/9/2014We had a table booked for 4 - which at the last minute turned to 8. In a busy restaurant they were keen to help - and then offered us a banquet tasting option. It was fantastic - great service , great food , great value , great evening - thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super service and foodJenthedinerVIPDined on 12/9/2014Tangawizi is my favourite indian restaurant - the food and service is second to none. The menu is slightly unusual compared to your bog standard indian restaurants offering diverse choices including many vegetarian specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ManyoDined on 5/9/2014Menu offered a good choice for both vegetarian and non veg meals Came Back after a long time and was surprised to find standard of food served of high quality greeted with a smile and service offered was excellent Revisiting soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoriTDined on 31/8/2014Excellent food and attentive service. I would highly recommend Tangawizi.Special Features:
- BeckyPDined on 22/8/2014We attended 22/08 for dinner, the food was great, really lovely! Good value for money. Lovely setting. Will be coming back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DannDined on 15/8/2014Food is very delicious, food value, service is attentive and very good, athmosphere great! I've been here a couple of times and every time it is same great standard.Special Features:
- Overall very goodLJK1Dined on 20/6/2014Food and value for money absolutely excellent. We ate on Friday night so very busy so a bit of a wait between courses. Table service however was very attentive. Will definitely eat here again.Special Features:
- Lovely food and serviceSoantDined on 20/6/2014Never disappointed with this place. Good food as high end as Indian take away can be. Lovely staff. Always busy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another hit at Tangawizi!msandersbarwickDined on 26/5/2014Yet another superb night at Tangawizi. We've been coming here since the restaurant opened and is still one of our favourites. The staff are always super friendly, service is discreet but attentive and the food is the most authentic I've tasted outside of India. The restaurant is always accommodating for me as a Vegan. The décor is a funky mix that others have tried to follow but failed and the food always lives up to our expectations.Special Features:
- Outstanding foodMigsymillerDined on 13/5/2014An excellent and modern restaurant. Superb Indian dishes with a twist. Focused on flavours. Even the pickles served with the popadums are quite unique compared to other Indian restaurants. Great food and very good service. Real value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian foodEsgordonDined on 5/5/2014We were introduced by friends to this restaurant a couple of weeks ago and it was very busy. This did not affect the quality of the food at all, but the service staff was stretched. This time we took friends ourselves, and the food was excellent again, with plenty vegetarian options and a very varied menu. Finally a quality, but not pretentious or overpriced, Indian restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indian Indian foodLeeLee1Dined on 25/4/2014We love Tangawizi. The service is always impeccable and the food is delicious. We have found that we need to send a message to the chef that we want Indian Indian food and not British Indian food. Chicken Tikka Masala Brits tend to like more bland, tomato-y dishes. If you like the real flavors and spices of India, let chef know. Their recipes are outstanding.
- Lovely food and super serviceJenthedinerVIPDined on 24/4/2014Great meal and good wine for an indian restaurant. Wonderful Madafi prawns for my main course.Special Features:
- Tangawizi, RichmondAnonDined on 20/4/2014Great choice of non-generic Indian food. Vegetarian options. Good service. Great value.Special Features:
- TangawizihcfoodDined on 19/4/2014We went to Tangawizi for the first time on a saturday night and we absolutely loved it! The place was very full but this only added to our experience. Loved every dish that we ordered, no grease in sight! We will definitely return
- Revisit after long absence StaffrobcVIPDined on 5/4/2014Revisit after long absence Staff welcoming and friendly Menu changes in starters Disappointed with spicing and Oder for mains not taken correctly - missed main courseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and foodnewcassellDined on 3/4/2014Very satisfied. Even the desert menu looked interesting (which is unusual for many curry houses). We didn't try desert though as the main course portions were very generous!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beginning to TirerNunkyDined on 2/4/2014Been here three or four times and have been quite pleased with everything. This time though things just seemed have dipped and the enthusiasm which seemed in the air seemed fro lack and made it feel like any other Indian. Some small errors with the food added to this general feeling, uncooked green herb spread on the lamb cutlets (really not nice) and large prawn butterflies that looked and tasted mushy as if the had been defrosted (must be fresh). Having said this it was ok but it is ashamed it's lost its "Tangawizi"
- Great IndianCWRWDined on 29/3/2014Third time to this restaurant. Although the menu is starting to look a little generic, the food is still excellent. Service is great and the the prices are reasonable. Will definitely be back the next time I'm in Richmond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below averageKfewelDined on 29/3/2014The food at Tangawizi was edible but by far not the best curry I have had! Chicken tikka masala was tangy and the tomato taste was overpowering. Rice tasted microwaved and not at all fresh. Ambiance left a lot to be desired we had an extremely loud intrusive group sat next to us which is very close as the resturant is small and all tables are close together. At one point as we were eating our meal someone from the table asked if we could move up so they could put some of their food on our table as they didn't have enough space which I found very rude. Overall I there are much better indian restaurants in the area and I would definitely not return.
- Not up to parLeeLee1Dined on 22/3/2014We love this restaurant, but the food wasn't great on Saturday night. We like spicy, flavorful Indian food and usually get it at Tangawizi, but not this time. Everything was very tomato-y and somewhat bland. Even the jalfrezi which, according to the menu, is supposed to be medium-hot. I'm hoping the regular chef was out sick, because we normally really like this restaurant. Their service is fantastic.Special Features:
- High quality IndianTheBMHDined on 21/3/2014We have tried a few of the curry houses in the Twickenham area and are very pleased to have finally found our favourite. All of the dishes seemed to exude flavour and quality. The meal was a little more expensive than most curry houses but seemed worth it. I look forward to trying the takeaway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian RestaurantViv73Dined on 9/3/2014Without a doubt this restaurant serves the best Indian food in Surrey.Everything is freshly cooked and has its own .distinctive flavour.The presentation is always appealing and the staff are helpful and charming. I have recommended Tangawizi to several friends who frequently travel miles to eat here,as they consider it a real dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try….1234Dined on 8/3/2014We are regulars and have been for about 8 years. Staff are very professional, the ambience is warm and the food excellent with quite an unexpected choice of menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Indian in Richmond AreaLeeLee1Dined on 7/3/2014We have lived in London (Richmond) for a year and have been to many Indian restaurants in the area and beyond looking for a really good one. This is it! Having lived in many Asian countries, we are quite particular. The food at Tangawizi is very flavorful. We have been twice and will make it our regular spot for Indian food. The service is outstanding. They don't stack tables close, so you feel like you have some privacy. The restaurant is located just over the Richmond bridge on the Twickenham side, but is worth the few extra minutes walk as it far exceeds other Indian restaurants.Special Features:
- Post Match RugbyPostRugbyDined on 15/2/2014Overall a 'good' experience, starters were far to large and overly spicy, in comparison to main courses that lacked flavour and heat. I've been to better curry houses.Special Features:
- Amazing food...great evening...coulFoodieDined on 14/2/2014Amazing food...great evening...could not fault anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have been before but it wasmandieDined on 14/2/2014Have been before but it was very disappointing this time. A solo singer was loud and intrusive. The meat not tender and the rice sticky. Disappointing outcome.
- Great Indian food, nice atmospherepamsushiDined on 14/2/2014We went to Tangawizi on Valentine's Day, together with another couple. They had live music on that evening, which was an unexpected pleasure. We had cocktails (passion fruit Mojito, absolutely yummie), starters and mains. The mixed starter plate is a must have with juicy lamb chops, tender chicken, coconut shrimp and crisp samosas. All the mains were delicious, the Jalfrezi could have been a bit spicier, but that's up to individual taste and the vegetarian dish with Paneer and green peas was mouth-watering. The only small down-side was the service, which was slow (we had to ask three times for our water) and the food took ages to arrive. However, due to the great quality of food, I'd recommend the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSamBDined on 14/2/2014I booked a table for valentines.. Excellent location, excellent atmosphere, excellent food, excellent service, excellent food portions and excellent prices. Will surely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but priceyMrBiffoDined on 12/2/2014Group of 6 friends - excellent food preparation although we did have to wait a while for our main courses. Having said that, the waiters brought us some complimentary lassi during the delay. I'd recommend they reassess the basis of how they provide large groups complimentary popadoms...our party of 6 got the same number (two) as a table of two which doesn't seem quite right. In anycase, great ambience and attentive table service. Would go again for sure.Special Features:
- Delicious contemporary Indian foodSquaradDined on 8/2/2014Really enjoyed our evening here. Lovely atmosphere and great food. We had a range of starters including the Mint Tikki which was delicious. The mains were great too. My prawn dish was a lovely combination of coconut sauce with just the right amount of chili heat. Naan breads were exceptional. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingHeisenbergDined on 8/2/2014In my opinion this restaurant is trading on its no longer applicable Michelin Star. The décor was dingy, the food overpriced, extremely small portions that were salty and left half of the party of 6 with upset stomachs. Service was slow and unattentive, we appreciated it was a busy Saturday booking but staff lacked basic manners. We have eaten better quality food at less expensive Indians and were disappointed as it had been highly recommended by a friend. Perhaps a bad night but I won't be willing to go back and give it another go.
- Quality currycorgiloverDined on 6/2/2014I had not been here for a few years but it was as good as ever. A bit more special than a regular curry house.I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyjimbobbybDined on 1/2/2014Tasty, well prepared Indian food in a friendly atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I went for my birthday mealScrannersDined on 18/1/2014I went for my birthday meal with husband & parents. Service was relaxed, friendly & efficient. Food was delicious- a modern take on Indian food. Many of the dishes were fairly spicy. Veggie choices were excellent. Portions were very generous. For four of us with starters, main courses (including two rice and three breads) & drinks (large glass of wine, two cocktails & a massive beer) the bill came to approx £115, including service, which in my opinion, was excellent for what we had. It was very busy on the sat night we went so I think you'd prob be best booking ahead. It was fairly 'cosy' in terms of space & that means that noisy tables can become a tad annoying. Other than that we had an excellent experience here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good IndiannnnnnDined on 18/1/2014Much nicer ambience and decor than your average Indian restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.