London, SE1 9TGNeighborhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/eatanddrink/restaurant.htm
- Phone: 02078878888x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 12pm - 3.15pm
Afternoon tea: Friday - Saturday: 3.15pm - 5pm Sunday:3.15-5pm
Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 6pm - 9.15pm
Bar: Sunday-Thursday: 10am-5.30pm Friday-Saturday:10am-9.30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: Stephen Goodlad
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, High Tea, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Café 2 is available for parties up to 50 by arrangement.
- Private Party Contact: Fabian Magnusson 02074015283x
- Special Events: Book now for Christmas to avoid disappointment. Email us for more details.
A word from Tate Modern
Located on Level 6 with one of the best views in London, the Tate Modern Restaurant offers a menu based on fresh, seasonal produce together with an exciting wine list focusing on innovative producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tate Modern reviews from OpenTable diners
583 reviews since 20 May 2014
special occasions (251)fit for foodies (128)romance (126)sunday lunch (110)business meals (104)afternoon tea (87)brunch (77)child friendly (68)good vegetarian options (65)pre/post theatre (57)disabled access (56)group bookings (37)outstanding value (36)outdoor eating (13)Show More
- Lovely lunchSophiebearDined on 14/9/2014Visited with friends for Sunday lunch. Was given a lovely window table with amazing views across the river. Good choice of options from the set menu. The food was beautifully presented and very tasty. Wine was reasonably priced and excellent quality. The service was very friendly and efficient. Thank you for a perfect dining experience !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A romantic dinner with views.PepiDined on 13/9/2014The staff were very kind. When I booked, I asked for a table near the window and even when they didn't asure my request, we could enjoy a lovely table with views. The food was excellent. I recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful museum dining experienceAsthete1Dined on 9/9/2014Wonderful museum and very nice dining experience. Outstanding viewSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced, cold, small portionsSw1eaterVIPDined on 6/9/2014Beautiful location but let down by price, portion size and cold food (sent back twice), confused service. Overflowing gents toilet!
- Excellent DiningDrDrewDined on 6/9/2014I have eaten at Tate Modern more than once and always thoroughly enjoy the experience. The food is excellent, beautifully cooked and presented. Coupled with the stunning views of the river and St Paul's cathedral I have no hesitation in recommending this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treat with a viewNandDDined on 6/9/2014Have lunch at the Tate Modern for a treat. Good veggie options. Lovely atmosphere. Friendly, efficient staff. Beautiful view of St Paul's cathedral.Special Features:
- LodeBoDined on 5/9/2014very good location (not easy to have a table overlooking the Thames but I managed to have one). Each time I come to London I try to book a table. I never had bad surprise. Good food, always good wine suggested, friendly service (outstanding this time). I will come backSpecial Features:
- Lunch top floor Tate ModernmoltoingambaDined on 5/9/2014Firstly there is a lovely view on one side. However as a room it is quite noisy. The food was good, nicely prepared but nothing special. The wine was excellent. Service was excellent and the staff friendly. In fact we had afternoon tea on the ground floor restaurant and that was very good indeed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014I would recommend to have lunch at the Tate Modern Gallery Restaurant. We went there as a family with a prenotation, and asked for a window table because it was one of the kids birthday. The table was to the rear window which fulfilled our request basically althought we of course hoped for a River Themse view. But the new building under construction of Tate was worth the view, too. We had a lot of different things from the menue and all was a surprise, also catering for the kids painting desires, wife was happy - excellent combination to mental refreshment !Special Features:
- Great break for a day at the TateSageOfOmahanDined on 4/9/2014Viewing an exhibition or gallery at the Tate is exhilarating and at the same time tiring. To make the most of it demands a mid-visit break. The panoramic view from the 6th floor is spectacular and a perfect backdrop for a relaxed meal, from which one returns reinvigorated to an afternoon of viewing. The food and wines are to a very high standard and, with the spectacular view, would alone justify a visit for those in search of a special venue for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointingstonechatsDined on 4/9/2014Despite the superb view (if you are on the appropriate side of the restaurant, which we weren't) we found the ambiance unconducive to a relaxed meal and conversation: the hard surfaces of the surroundings made it very difficult at times to hear what people in our group (and there were only 5 of us!) were saying. The food was fine without being exceptional, but not everything was served as hot as it should have been - and the coffees and espressos were lukewarm. We would hesitate before booking here again.
- Best for ViewsAsterinaDined on 3/9/2014Booked as part of a day in London, this was a special place to have lunch with wonderful views of St Pauls and the city. Unfortunately the food service was rather slow from the kitchen and the menu not clear, we had to ask what sides were available and we thought the main course needed a boost from a side order. One of us received a scraggy looking piece of Monkfish, not well presented at all. We had to return luke warm coffees which were promptly replaced. The staff worked hard and we were looked after well. Would we recommend it? Yes but it's not the tops except for the view, be prepared and allow plenty of time!Special Features:
- Fab setting, fab foodMenuandwineDined on 3/9/2014A lovely setting to enjoy views of London. The ambiance, service and lunch menu was simply fine. Our three courses were each beautifully presented and the flavours were delicate . We had a great panoramic view as we booked well in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it just for the viewBrusselsfoodieDined on 3/9/2014Lovely lunch, attentive service, excellent cocktails and a breathtaking view over St Pauls and the Millenium Bridge. Just great for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/9/2014The service was impeccable- from the time we walked in the door, seating hostess, waitress/ waiter, as well as the wine steward. We had a beautiful view overlooking the river and the city of London. We were never rushed. Thank you, all!Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 30/8/2014The food was excellent, but the portions were ridiculously small for the cost. The service was indifferent. Disappointing overall as an experience.
- Not BadfantasticbobDined on 30/8/2014The starter my date and I had was exceptionally good, a cold tomato soup. The main however was not to my taste. The duck breast wasn't just pink it was pretty much raw. Maybe it's supposed to be like that but not for me. My date had the broad bean and pea risotto which was better but a touch too much cheese. I didn't complain but explained I simply didn't like the duck and we got our desert's free, which was a nice acknowledgement. To accompany the meal I ordered a mid priced bottle of Rioja, it wasn't at room temperature and was slightly too cool. Didn't complain about that either as our waiter was brilliant and just felt I didn't want to put a downer on on the evening. Excellent ambience, mediocre over priced food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 30/8/2014Terrible meal. Sat evg at around 6.45pm, menu was limited and yet no razor clams ( as per menu) so scallops was accepted as a replacement but it was very poor presentation of scallops and justt three half slices of scallop sat on top of a smear.No Rioja wine in stock despite being on the wine list. Steak arrived so over cooked it was tough and utterly inedible. It was replaced with better rare but still not a good cut of meat, so even when presented rare, it was still choosey. We have had good meals at tate before but now the price has soared and the quality has massively dropped. Have told everyone not to bother with it.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/8/2014Friendly restaurant with pleasant staff and of course a fabulous view but to be honest we felt it was rather poor value for money. The portions were small (particularly the goats cheese starter) and my duck was not cooked properly so I had to leave nearly all of it. We recently had the pre-theatre dinner at the Savoy which was a similar price to the Tate but infinitely better quality. The restaurant has the feel of a cafe, which is fine, but I think it needs to be smartened up and the food improved if they wish to charge these prices.Special Features:
- Disappointing lunchMuseumloverDined on 29/8/2014Despite booking weeks in advance we had to wait for a table right in front of the kitchen door with all the ambiance of a school canteen. Crashing cutlery, breaking plates and black tables. Eventually I caught a suited mans eye on his way from the kitchen. 45 minutes later my daughter had finished her tiny main. I ordered another child meal which eventually arrived with my duck. The second was bigger than the tiny first one. Finally we were served by a charming Spanish waiter but he could not redeem the experience. I went to the bar myself to request a hot expresso as mine was cold. Way too expensive for what we received.
- Poor value, not outstandingchrwDined on 29/8/2014I took my out-of-town sister here for lunch to celebrate her birthday. When I booked online I said we'd like a table at the window with the view of St Pauls'. When we arrived, although there was a free table at the window, we were placed one row in although we were later moved. On arrival I asked for two glasses of prosecco, to celebrate the birthday and some happy medical news i'd just got. We were told that they only had bottles of prosecco so we passed. We ordered two main dishes: the duck breast for my guest and monkfish for me: these were competent but nothing special. We each had a pudding of sorbet and berries. We had a carafe of Picpoul and the bill was £72 including coffee and service. Not good value, or a very expensive view.Special Features:
- celebrationsumacDined on 28/8/2014This restaurant has never disappointed me. The food is always delicious and well thought. The views are stunning. I have celebrated numerous events here and it is always special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious with great viewsSfeeDined on 25/8/2014Superb food - I had the pea and broad bean risotto and a vanilla sable with blackberries and a white chocolate cream. Best dessert wine I've had for ages too.Special Features:
- good food and interesting serviceMeggDined on 23/8/2014This is the second time I have tried the restaurant at the Tate. I reserved a window table and the view is amazing. Definitely the main reason to come back. The quality of the food is quite good, though the amount you get for the afternoon tea is a bit meagre. I have never seen such a small scone! And you just get one. The waiters are friendly but slow, very very slow.Special Features:
- Air Conditioning too FierceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 23/8/2014Asked if Air conditioning could be turned down. We were told it couldn't as run centrally. WE sat with coats on whilst we ate our meal. Very poor. pup was lovely, but cold. I know that it was probably a summer soup, but it would have been good to state on menu that it was cold. We ordered soup to warm us up!! Good service thouSpecial Features:
- You should go hereNekoDined on 22/8/2014The waitress was so friendly and food & wine was very nice. The view from the window was unforgettable!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick lunchFlackie58Dined on 22/8/2014Good lunch after exhibition. As we were in a bit of a rush we were 10 minutes early but seated straight away. Good attentive, but not obtrusive service. Ate the 2 courses deal. Shared starter and dessert, own mains. My risotto was rich and creamy with fresh clean tastes. Only niggle: some mains come with little bit of garnish and that means you must order 'sides' if you want potatoes etc. Check first! Busy with good view.Special Features:
- DisappointedDined on 20/8/2014Standards have gone down considerably since my last visit. Embarrassing as I took friends and recommended it. Menu poor and quality poor complaint not dealt with well until a further complaint and bill adjusted.
- A welcome exception to the normGilpatrickDined on 19/8/2014Museum, Art gallery and Concert hall cafés are normally of a low standard on a All four counts, - lodged in a basement, dull of décor, with barely eatable food and listless of service. So, while the restaurant of Tate Modern is not of the standard of the leading restaurants of the town, neither is the price of its fare and the standard of its cuisine would certainly compare favourably with many more expensive restaurants. It is clearly immensely popular and, had I not booked in advance, I doubt that I would have braved the queue. The demand puts enormous pressure on the members of the staff, which they meet with efficiency and courtesy both at the point of reception and in serving the meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location with stunning views.love2lunchDined on 19/8/2014Delicious food, beautifully presented. Friendly, professional service though the restaurant would have benefitted from a few more staff so service was rather slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Matisse lunchSabahGGDined on 19/8/2014We received attentive service. The lunch menu was varied and although we enjoyed the food, it should be hotter. The view across the Thames is spectacular.Special Features:
- A London specialRobesp94Dined on 16/8/2014The restaurant provides a fabulous view over the City of London and the Thames. The food was excellent and the atmosphere conducive to celebrate life in London.Special Features:
- The best view of LondoninternationalvegDined on 15/8/2014The food here is a bit too complex for my taste (international vegetarian) . . . but would suit English carnivores with a hankering for strong tastes. The wine list is superb, however, and can be enjoyed on its own in the wine bar part. The reason for eating here is that the restaurant overlooks the finest view of the City of London, which is especially spectacular at sunset (check the time of sunset before booking your table!!!) The staff here are wonderful and friendly . . . There was a fire alarm while we were eating, and all was handled very smoothly. I was treating a friend to the view, rather than the food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 15/8/2014I don't have time xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSpecial Features:
- Good food with a good viewPeterDined on 14/8/2014We had a super table at the window, and enjoyed excellent food and good wine. The waiter was friendly and helpful. The restaurant was a little more crowded than comfortable and perhaps more could be done to deal with the queues and the flow of people into and out of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Disappointing lunch and ambience.dinerDined on 14/8/2014Have often lunched here and found it good .BUT what a difference now.The idea of kids eat free has ruined the atmosphere with wailing and shrieking toddlers. At least our table was by a window but there aren't many of those. Food also very poor. My goat cheese salad miniscule and no razor clams available. Monkfish was on the bone, the thin end seemingly not properly skinned a like a cheap lot ,served with a tiny amount of mini fennel and a few halves of mini tomatoes, No side dishes on the menu nor were we offered any.. Service although cheerful was slow Hot milk brought with coffee despite asking for cold. Cold arrived but jug cracked. Poor value too.This is no different from a cafenow. Next time we will look elsewhere.
- Post Matisse lunchcutoutsDined on 13/8/2014We had a nice table in a good location, the service was prompt and friendly, the food a bit disappointing -- steak and monkfish declared a bit tough and risotto dull.
- Good view average foodredhairDined on 8/8/2014The Tate Modern restaurant offers a nice view, spacious and comfortable seating area, and staff were friendly and polite. My visitor from abroad and I enjoyed our food, though I was not impressed that the razor clams were not gutted and cleaned properly, even though the sauce tasted good. Neither of us found the desert choices tempting, so we skipped desert. It would have been a nice finish if there was a chocolate desert of some kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dougie56Dined on 8/8/2014Super meal, excellent service and window seat treat for my sister's 60th birthday. A great way to finish after being wowed by the Matisse cutouts! Many thanks to all staff.Special Features:
- perfect pre-art lunch venueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014Outstanding view over the Thames, the Milennium Bridge and St Pauls, friendly efficient service, great wine selection and lovely food. Worth booking in advance as really busy especially weekends and school holidaysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.