London, SE1 9TGNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/eatanddrink/restaurant.htm
- Phone: 02078878888x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 12pm - 3.15pm
Afternoon tea: Friday - Saturday: 3.15pm - 5pm Sunday:3.15-5pm
Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 6pm - 9.15pm
Bar: Sunday-Thursday: 10am-5.30pm Friday-Saturday:10am-9.30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: Stephen Goodlad
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, High Tea, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Café 2 is available for parties up to 50 by arrangement.
- Private Party Contact: Fabian Magnusson 02074015283x
- Special Events: Book now for Christmas to avoid disappointment. Email us for more details.
A word from Tate Modern
Located on Level 6 with one of the best views in London, the Tate Modern Restaurant offers a menu based on fresh, seasonal produce together with an exciting wine list focusing on innovative producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tate Modern reviews from OpenTable diners
596 reviews since 4 June 2014
special occasions (252)fit for foodies (136)romance (125)sunday lunch (110)business meals (109)afternoon tea (89)brunch (74)good vegetarian options (70)child friendly (67)disabled access (58)pre/post theatre (57)outstanding value (40)group bookings (38)outdoor eating (14)Show More
- Sunday lunch at the Tate ModernOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 28/9/2014Had a super meal on Sunday for our wedding anniversary. Fabulous food and excellent service. A superb choice of venue for a special occasion - we had a birthday lunch there earlier in the year which was equally good.Special Features:
- Great views but very poor foodLeao2dineDined on 27/9/2014Came here for my Girlfriends Birthday, great views looking out to St Pauls. We had starters which were ok and for our mains we ordered the duck and steak. The duck was very bland with no taste but worse of all was the steak, it was burnt on the outside and very tough, we were so disappointed. We complained and the waitress looking after us was very apologetic and came back soon after to offer dessert and coffee on the house. We did not accept has we just wanted to leave. Upon getting the bill they did not charge us for the steak.
- Beautiful viewMiK2aDined on 27/9/2014Nice view from this restaurant on the 6th floor of Tate Modern. The food is really good but a bit expensive. You can also just go there for a drink at the bar after a walk along the Thames.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent ambience food and viewsCaseyHDined on 27/9/2014Service was excellent and very friendly but not too familiar. Food was great and we all enjoyed the meal - we had steak, duck and fish - all cooked beautifully wonderful evening which my sister and brother in la (from NZ) enjoyed immensely The view of St Paul's just added to the magic. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Special LunchEilidhgirlDined on 26/9/2014An impromptu get together with close friends enhanced by a fabulous lunch at Tate Modern.I booked this at short notice through opentable and asked for a particular table which we got. Great occasion!Special Features:
- Terrible A total rip-off.Martello66Dined on 26/9/2014The service was indifferent. The menu is extremely limited. We had to ask for water 4 times. The prices are very high and the food was bland and tasteless. Okay there are great views but frankly you can sit in the bar just a few feet away and have a cup of coffee or a glass of wine and enjoy it more than sitting in a sterile space, paying an extortionate amount of money for under-average food. I love the Tate but would never ever ever eat in this restaurant again. Hugely disappointed.
- dudleyDined on 25/9/2014generally disappointing; staff appeared tired and bored; very slow.
- 食物一般celiachuDined on 20/9/2014由於一周前預訂，入座時安排了窗口位置，遠眺泰晤士河，心情非常舒暢。可惜是食物味道一般，牛排肉質不佳，因此到這兒飲酒聊天為佳。Special Features:
- WillgoagainDined on 19/9/2014The ambience was excellent helped by a beautiful sunny day. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The Hereford Beef was as tough as old boots. Certain dishes seem to lack flavour somehow. The value - we are in London I would recommend the restaurant to friends simply because of the setting where it sits on the Thames.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gastroartDined on 18/9/2014The food is very good, the views outstanding, the wines excellent.Special Features:
- Fab view, great service, good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 18/9/2014Perfect for a working business lunch, as it offers a bright room, decent sized table, and we were sitting by the window (booked early) so fantastic view. I would go again.Special Features:
- Tate - family modern.Andrew3141Dined on 18/9/2014We enjoyed a relaxed family meal in a terrific location. Service afforded by our waitress was excellent and having.two out of three children aged under 12 made the meal an inexpensive enterprise for the overall experience. Well done to the Tate for encouraging families in this way. Additionally, the kids menu was of good quality - a feature not often found on children's menus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KristyDined on 17/9/2014The service was attentive but not intrusive and really well paced. Allow up to two hours not to rush lunch. Very kindly given a window table as requested, as it was a birthday treat. Food looked and tasted very tasty. And of course the view is exceptional.Special Features:
- Pity about the food!hopespringseternalDined on 16/9/2014Obviously trading on its Thameside location above a gallery popular with tourists this restaurant would not attract much custom in a more modest location. We thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful views but the food was disappointing. The starter, devilled chicken liver, was good but the bavette steak was chewy and devoid of flavour. We heard the customer at the next table complain about it. The room has the feel of a rather ordinary canteen; pretty basic with painted wooden tables which have seen better days, paint chipped away, etc. The service and wine options were good but overall poor value for money. I suppose I have to conclude that I would not pay the premium you require to enjoy the view.
- Lunch at Tate ModernChasDined on 16/9/2014I had booked online the previous weekend. On arrival we saw that we had been allocated a table by the window with magnificent views across to St Pauls. The Spanish waitress was very pleasant and welcoming. She explained the menu. Our choice of meal was very tasty, the wine excellent and the service relaxed. It was nice to feel we were not hurried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wrong choice?WinifredDined on 16/9/2014I took a friend who was visiting London to the Tate Modern for lunch...t. The table was fine but the main course was awful. My friend had a steak, a brevette I think it was called.. It was really stringy and very bloody. ... My. duck was equally rare, we had ordered well done Neither of us ate very much and told the very nice waiter that we were very disappointed and he said he would tell the chef. With hindsight we should have asked to speak to the manager. The sweets to follow were delicious, thank goodness We had a glass of inexpensive wine each, 2 courses plus coffee and our bill was £75 . It certainly was not good value . Possibly the other dishes would have been more palatable. Who knows? n
- Lovely lunchSophiebearDined on 14/9/2014Visited with friends for Sunday lunch. Was given a lovely window table with amazing views across the river. Good choice of options from the set menu. The food was beautifully presented and very tasty. Wine was reasonably priced and excellent quality. The service was very friendly and efficient. Thank you for a perfect dining experience !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A romantic dinner with views.PepiDined on 13/9/2014The staff were very kind. When I booked, I asked for a table near the window and even when they didn't asure my request, we could enjoy a lovely table with views. The food was excellent. I recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful museum dining experienceAsthete1Dined on 9/9/2014Wonderful museum and very nice dining experience. Outstanding viewSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced, cold, small portionsSw1eaterVIPDined on 6/9/2014Beautiful location but let down by price, portion size and cold food (sent back twice), confused service. Overflowing gents toilet!
- Matisse & Dinner 20.00 Saturday.brasseriebobDined on 6/9/2014Combining the all night opening of the Matisse Cut Outs with dinner proved a worthwhile visit. Having reserved on-line we were pleasantly surprised to get a window table,though i hadn't requested one. This benefits from the clityscape opposite as darkness fell. Service was brisk, though under pressure from the late night opening, and our waitress coped well with a demanding evening and service. My partner's loin of monkfish seemed a little small but my main of duck breast, peas and pommes puree was satisfying. My dessert of mascapone mousse and ice cream was well presented and tasty. Would i return? Yes. Would i recommend? Yes.But having a window table doubled the pleasure of the experience.We were fortunate in that respect..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DiningDrDrewDined on 6/9/2014I have eaten at Tate Modern more than once and always thoroughly enjoy the experience. The food is excellent, beautifully cooked and presented. Coupled with the stunning views of the river and St Paul's cathedral I have no hesitation in recommending this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treat with a viewNandDDined on 6/9/2014Have lunch at the Tate Modern for a treat. Good veggie options. Lovely atmosphere. Friendly, efficient staff. Beautiful view of St Paul's cathedral.Special Features:
- LodeBoDined on 5/9/2014very good location (not easy to have a table overlooking the Thames but I managed to have one). Each time I come to London I try to book a table. I never had bad surprise. Good food, always good wine suggested, friendly service (outstanding this time). I will come backSpecial Features:
- Lunch top floor Tate ModernmoltoingambaDined on 5/9/2014Firstly there is a lovely view on one side. However as a room it is quite noisy. The food was good, nicely prepared but nothing special. The wine was excellent. Service was excellent and the staff friendly. In fact we had afternoon tea on the ground floor restaurant and that was very good indeed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014I would recommend to have lunch at the Tate Modern Gallery Restaurant. We went there as a family with a prenotation, and asked for a window table because it was one of the kids birthday. The table was to the rear window which fulfilled our request basically althought we of course hoped for a River Themse view. But the new building under construction of Tate was worth the view, too. We had a lot of different things from the menue and all was a surprise, also catering for the kids painting desires, wife was happy - excellent combination to mental refreshment !Special Features:
- Great break for a day at the TateSageOfOmahanDined on 4/9/2014Viewing an exhibition or gallery at the Tate is exhilarating and at the same time tiring. To make the most of it demands a mid-visit break. The panoramic view from the 6th floor is spectacular and a perfect backdrop for a relaxed meal, from which one returns reinvigorated to an afternoon of viewing. The food and wines are to a very high standard and, with the spectacular view, would alone justify a visit for those in search of a special venue for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointingstonechatsDined on 4/9/2014Despite the superb view (if you are on the appropriate side of the restaurant, which we weren't) we found the ambiance unconducive to a relaxed meal and conversation: the hard surfaces of the surroundings made it very difficult at times to hear what people in our group (and there were only 5 of us!) were saying. The food was fine without being exceptional, but not everything was served as hot as it should have been - and the coffees and espressos were lukewarm. We would hesitate before booking here again.
- Best for ViewsAsterinaDined on 3/9/2014Booked as part of a day in London, this was a special place to have lunch with wonderful views of St Pauls and the city. Unfortunately the food service was rather slow from the kitchen and the menu not clear, we had to ask what sides were available and we thought the main course needed a boost from a side order. One of us received a scraggy looking piece of Monkfish, not well presented at all. We had to return luke warm coffees which were promptly replaced. The staff worked hard and we were looked after well. Would we recommend it? Yes but it's not the tops except for the view, be prepared and allow plenty of time!Special Features:
- Fab setting, fab foodMenuandwineDined on 3/9/2014A lovely setting to enjoy views of London. The ambiance, service and lunch menu was simply fine. Our three courses were each beautifully presented and the flavours were delicate . We had a great panoramic view as we booked well in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it just for the viewBrusselsfoodieDined on 3/9/2014Lovely lunch, attentive service, excellent cocktails and a breathtaking view over St Pauls and the Millenium Bridge. Just great for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/9/2014The service was impeccable- from the time we walked in the door, seating hostess, waitress/ waiter, as well as the wine steward. We had a beautiful view overlooking the river and the city of London. We were never rushed. Thank you, all!Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 30/8/2014The food was excellent, but the portions were ridiculously small for the cost. The service was indifferent. Disappointing overall as an experience.
- Not BadfantasticbobDined on 30/8/2014The starter my date and I had was exceptionally good, a cold tomato soup. The main however was not to my taste. The duck breast wasn't just pink it was pretty much raw. Maybe it's supposed to be like that but not for me. My date had the broad bean and pea risotto which was better but a touch too much cheese. I didn't complain but explained I simply didn't like the duck and we got our desert's free, which was a nice acknowledgement. To accompany the meal I ordered a mid priced bottle of Rioja, it wasn't at room temperature and was slightly too cool. Didn't complain about that either as our waiter was brilliant and just felt I didn't want to put a downer on on the evening. Excellent ambience, mediocre over priced food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 30/8/2014Terrible meal. Sat evg at around 6.45pm, menu was limited and yet no razor clams ( as per menu) so scallops was accepted as a replacement but it was very poor presentation of scallops and justt three half slices of scallop sat on top of a smear.No Rioja wine in stock despite being on the wine list. Steak arrived so over cooked it was tough and utterly inedible. It was replaced with better rare but still not a good cut of meat, so even when presented rare, it was still choosey. We have had good meals at tate before but now the price has soared and the quality has massively dropped. Have told everyone not to bother with it.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/8/2014Friendly restaurant with pleasant staff and of course a fabulous view but to be honest we felt it was rather poor value for money. The portions were small (particularly the goats cheese starter) and my duck was not cooked properly so I had to leave nearly all of it. We recently had the pre-theatre dinner at the Savoy which was a similar price to the Tate but infinitely better quality. The restaurant has the feel of a cafe, which is fine, but I think it needs to be smartened up and the food improved if they wish to charge these prices.Special Features:
- Disappointing lunchMuseumloverDined on 29/8/2014Despite booking weeks in advance we had to wait for a table right in front of the kitchen door with all the ambiance of a school canteen. Crashing cutlery, breaking plates and black tables. Eventually I caught a suited mans eye on his way from the kitchen. 45 minutes later my daughter had finished her tiny main. I ordered another child meal which eventually arrived with my duck. The second was bigger than the tiny first one. Finally we were served by a charming Spanish waiter but he could not redeem the experience. I went to the bar myself to request a hot expresso as mine was cold. Way too expensive for what we received.
- Poor value, not outstandingchrwDined on 29/8/2014I took my out-of-town sister here for lunch to celebrate her birthday. When I booked online I said we'd like a table at the window with the view of St Pauls'. When we arrived, although there was a free table at the window, we were placed one row in although we were later moved. On arrival I asked for two glasses of prosecco, to celebrate the birthday and some happy medical news i'd just got. We were told that they only had bottles of prosecco so we passed. We ordered two main dishes: the duck breast for my guest and monkfish for me: these were competent but nothing special. We each had a pudding of sorbet and berries. We had a carafe of Picpoul and the bill was £72 including coffee and service. Not good value, or a very expensive view.Special Features:
- celebrationsumacDined on 28/8/2014This restaurant has never disappointed me. The food is always delicious and well thought. The views are stunning. I have celebrated numerous events here and it is always special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious with great viewsSfeeDined on 25/8/2014Superb food - I had the pea and broad bean risotto and a vanilla sable with blackberries and a white chocolate cream. Best dessert wine I've had for ages too.Special Features: