London, SE1 9TGNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/eatanddrink/restaurant.htm
- Phone: 02078878888x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 12pm - 3.15pm
Afternoon tea: Friday - Saturday: 3.15pm - 5pm Sunday:3.15-5pm
Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 6pm - 9.15pm
Bar: Sunday-Thursday: 10am-5.30pm Friday-Saturday:10am-9.30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: Stephen Goodlad
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, High Tea, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Café 2 is available for parties up to 50 by arrangement.
- Private Party Contact: Fabian Magnusson 02074015283x
- Special Events: Book now for Christmas to avoid disappointment. Email us for more details.
A word from Tate Modern
Located on Level 6 with one of the best views in London, the Tate Modern Restaurant offers a menu based on fresh, seasonal produce together with an exciting wine list focusing on innovative producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tate Modern reviews from OpenTable diners
592 reviews since 22 October 2013
special occasions (251)fit for foodies (135)romance (121)sunday lunch (110)business meals (105)afternoon tea (90)brunch (74)good vegetarian options (72)child friendly (69)pre/post theatre (59)disabled access (58)group bookings (37)outstanding value (37)outdoor eating (13)Show More
- You can't hurry them!frankieDined on 18/10/2014We told them when we arrived that we were going to the theatre and had to leave in an hour. Seated immediately (fabulous table and view), given a menu but 20 minutes later they still hadn't taken our order. It was finally taken half an hour after we arrived. We ordered a selection of first couses to share as we thought that would be quickest. The food took another 15 minutes to arrive, so we less than 15 minutes to eat it. The food was excellent, but I do think that it should be possible for a restaurant to manage a quick turnaround if requested. Especially as we were told when we arrived that they wanted the table back in 90 minutes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday EveningJennywrenDined on 17/10/2014I had visited the Tate earlier in the week and was not aware there was a restaurant open late there with such a view. Overall the experience was a positive one, but a couple of little things let it down. Firstly I ordered the steak and though I can eat my steak fairly rare, the waiting staff did not ask me how I liked it cooking and it was extremely rare and I could not enjoy it, the others on the table agreed it was very rare. I also asked for kethcup to go with my chips and it took so long to arrive (and I had to ask twice) that I had almost eaten the rest of my meal. The view however was amazing and the wine was really good.Special Features:
- Stunning Lunchtime ExperienceLivingLondontothemaxDined on 12/10/2014I met with my sister from Australia for lunch and no better way to introduce her to the sights,skyline and icons of London. The food didn't disappoint especially the specials. A totally special experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatMuswellHillFamilyDined on 10/10/2014Food was ok but nothing special, but both our plates arrived without items, which might be reasonable when you are ordering 20 items in a Tapas bar, but when it's a spartan 3 item plate for us both to only have 2 items it's a bit less understandable. Ordered a beer which was never registered.
- Good food and brilliant viewsluvqualityDined on 10/10/2014This is the second time I have dined here within the last 6 months. Good food, albeit same menu; good service and magnificent views over the Thames and St. Paul's. And... as important as the good views for me: no noticeable background music, hence I was not walking away feeling exhausted from shouting across the table! How brilliant! The choice for vegetarians could be improved. Great bar along the long top window overlooking the Thames.Special Features:
- Date nightCampEddieDined on 4/10/2014We were lucky enough to get a window table and my wife being a avid photographer love the view. The service and food was excellent, the only small issue was that they ran out of razor clams and we sat at the table at 7pm so the kitchens should have ordered more for the evening sittings.Special Features:
- Lovely views and good foodBristoladyDined on 3/10/2014The view across the Thames to St Paul's is superb. The food is very good and well priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tate Modern RestaurantmandochkaDined on 1/10/2014The view is spectacular, but loses much of its impact if one does not have a window table (for which a request can be made but nothing guaranteed). The main course was tasty but small for the price, the service was unfriendly, and the noise levels made conversation difficult. I thought it would be an impressive place to take visitors from abroad, but was disappointed.
- Sunday lunch at the Tate ModernOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 28/9/2014Had a super meal on Sunday for our wedding anniversary. Fabulous food and excellent service. A superb choice of venue for a special occasion - we had a birthday lunch there earlier in the year which was equally good.Special Features:
- Great views but very poor foodLeao2dineDined on 27/9/2014Came here for my Girlfriends Birthday, great views looking out to St Pauls. We had starters which were ok and for our mains we ordered the duck and steak. The duck was very bland with no taste but worse of all was the steak, it was burnt on the outside and very tough, we were so disappointed. We complained and the waitress looking after us was very apologetic and came back soon after to offer dessert and coffee on the house. We did not accept has we just wanted to leave. Upon getting the bill they did not charge us for the steak.
- Beautiful viewMiK2aDined on 27/9/2014Nice view from this restaurant on the 6th floor of Tate Modern. The food is really good but a bit expensive. You can also just go there for a drink at the bar after a walk along the Thames.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent ambience food and viewsCaseyHDined on 27/9/2014Service was excellent and very friendly but not too familiar. Food was great and we all enjoyed the meal - we had steak, duck and fish - all cooked beautifully wonderful evening which my sister and brother in la (from NZ) enjoyed immensely The view of St Paul's just added to the magic. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Special LunchEilidhgirlDined on 26/9/2014An impromptu get together with close friends enhanced by a fabulous lunch at Tate Modern.I booked this at short notice through opentable and asked for a particular table which we got. Great occasion!Special Features:
- Terrible A total rip-off.Martello66Dined on 26/9/2014The service was indifferent. The menu is extremely limited. We had to ask for water 4 times. The prices are very high and the food was bland and tasteless. Okay there are great views but frankly you can sit in the bar just a few feet away and have a cup of coffee or a glass of wine and enjoy it more than sitting in a sterile space, paying an extortionate amount of money for under-average food. I love the Tate but would never ever ever eat in this restaurant again. Hugely disappointed.
- dudleyDined on 25/9/2014generally disappointing; staff appeared tired and bored; very slow.
- 食物一般celiachuDined on 20/9/2014由於一周前預訂，入座時安排了窗口位置，遠眺泰晤士河，心情非常舒暢。可惜是食物味道一般，牛排肉質不佳，因此到這兒飲酒聊天為佳。Special Features:
- WillgoagainDined on 19/9/2014The ambience was excellent helped by a beautiful sunny day. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The Hereford Beef was as tough as old boots. Certain dishes seem to lack flavour somehow. The value - we are in London I would recommend the restaurant to friends simply because of the setting where it sits on the Thames.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gastroartDined on 18/9/2014The food is very good, the views outstanding, the wines excellent.Special Features:
- Fab view, great service, good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 18/9/2014Perfect for a working business lunch, as it offers a bright room, decent sized table, and we were sitting by the window (booked early) so fantastic view. I would go again.Special Features:
- Tate - family modern.Andrew3141Dined on 18/9/2014We enjoyed a relaxed family meal in a terrific location. Service afforded by our waitress was excellent and having.two out of three children aged under 12 made the meal an inexpensive enterprise for the overall experience. Well done to the Tate for encouraging families in this way. Additionally, the kids menu was of good quality - a feature not often found on children's menus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KristyDined on 17/9/2014The service was attentive but not intrusive and really well paced. Allow up to two hours not to rush lunch. Very kindly given a window table as requested, as it was a birthday treat. Food looked and tasted very tasty. And of course the view is exceptional.Special Features:
- Pity about the food!hopespringseternalDined on 16/9/2014Obviously trading on its Thameside location above a gallery popular with tourists this restaurant would not attract much custom in a more modest location. We thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful views but the food was disappointing. The starter, devilled chicken liver, was good but the bavette steak was chewy and devoid of flavour. We heard the customer at the next table complain about it. The room has the feel of a rather ordinary canteen; pretty basic with painted wooden tables which have seen better days, paint chipped away, etc. The service and wine options were good but overall poor value for money. I suppose I have to conclude that I would not pay the premium you require to enjoy the view.
- Lunch at Tate ModernChasDined on 16/9/2014I had booked online the previous weekend. On arrival we saw that we had been allocated a table by the window with magnificent views across to St Pauls. The Spanish waitress was very pleasant and welcoming. She explained the menu. Our choice of meal was very tasty, the wine excellent and the service relaxed. It was nice to feel we were not hurried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wrong choice?WinifredDined on 16/9/2014I took a friend who was visiting London to the Tate Modern for lunch...t. The table was fine but the main course was awful. My friend had a steak, a brevette I think it was called.. It was really stringy and very bloody. ... My. duck was equally rare, we had ordered well done Neither of us ate very much and told the very nice waiter that we were very disappointed and he said he would tell the chef. With hindsight we should have asked to speak to the manager. The sweets to follow were delicious, thank goodness We had a glass of inexpensive wine each, 2 courses plus coffee and our bill was £75 . It certainly was not good value . Possibly the other dishes would have been more palatable. Who knows? n
- Lovely lunchSophiebearDined on 14/9/2014Visited with friends for Sunday lunch. Was given a lovely window table with amazing views across the river. Good choice of options from the set menu. The food was beautifully presented and very tasty. Wine was reasonably priced and excellent quality. The service was very friendly and efficient. Thank you for a perfect dining experience !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A romantic dinner with views.PepiDined on 13/9/2014The staff were very kind. When I booked, I asked for a table near the window and even when they didn't asure my request, we could enjoy a lovely table with views. The food was excellent. I recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful museum dining experienceAsthete1Dined on 9/9/2014Wonderful museum and very nice dining experience. Outstanding viewSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced, cold, small portionsSw1eaterVIPDined on 6/9/2014Beautiful location but let down by price, portion size and cold food (sent back twice), confused service. Overflowing gents toilet!
- Matisse & Dinner 20.00 Saturday.brasseriebobDined on 6/9/2014Combining the all night opening of the Matisse Cut Outs with dinner proved a worthwhile visit. Having reserved on-line we were pleasantly surprised to get a window table,though i hadn't requested one. This benefits from the clityscape opposite as darkness fell. Service was brisk, though under pressure from the late night opening, and our waitress coped well with a demanding evening and service. My partner's loin of monkfish seemed a little small but my main of duck breast, peas and pommes puree was satisfying. My dessert of mascapone mousse and ice cream was well presented and tasty. Would i return? Yes. Would i recommend? Yes.But having a window table doubled the pleasure of the experience.We were fortunate in that respect..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DiningDrDrewDined on 6/9/2014I have eaten at Tate Modern more than once and always thoroughly enjoy the experience. The food is excellent, beautifully cooked and presented. Coupled with the stunning views of the river and St Paul's cathedral I have no hesitation in recommending this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treat with a viewNandDDined on 6/9/2014Have lunch at the Tate Modern for a treat. Good veggie options. Lovely atmosphere. Friendly, efficient staff. Beautiful view of St Paul's cathedral.Special Features:
- LodeBoDined on 5/9/2014very good location (not easy to have a table overlooking the Thames but I managed to have one). Each time I come to London I try to book a table. I never had bad surprise. Good food, always good wine suggested, friendly service (outstanding this time). I will come backSpecial Features:
- Lunch top floor Tate ModernmoltoingambaDined on 5/9/2014Firstly there is a lovely view on one side. However as a room it is quite noisy. The food was good, nicely prepared but nothing special. The wine was excellent. Service was excellent and the staff friendly. In fact we had afternoon tea on the ground floor restaurant and that was very good indeed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014I would recommend to have lunch at the Tate Modern Gallery Restaurant. We went there as a family with a prenotation, and asked for a window table because it was one of the kids birthday. The table was to the rear window which fulfilled our request basically althought we of course hoped for a River Themse view. But the new building under construction of Tate was worth the view, too. We had a lot of different things from the menue and all was a surprise, also catering for the kids painting desires, wife was happy - excellent combination to mental refreshment !Special Features:
- Great break for a day at the TateSageOfOmahanDined on 4/9/2014Viewing an exhibition or gallery at the Tate is exhilarating and at the same time tiring. To make the most of it demands a mid-visit break. The panoramic view from the 6th floor is spectacular and a perfect backdrop for a relaxed meal, from which one returns reinvigorated to an afternoon of viewing. The food and wines are to a very high standard and, with the spectacular view, would alone justify a visit for those in search of a special venue for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointingstonechatsDined on 4/9/2014Despite the superb view (if you are on the appropriate side of the restaurant, which we weren't) we found the ambiance unconducive to a relaxed meal and conversation: the hard surfaces of the surroundings made it very difficult at times to hear what people in our group (and there were only 5 of us!) were saying. The food was fine without being exceptional, but not everything was served as hot as it should have been - and the coffees and espressos were lukewarm. We would hesitate before booking here again.
- Best for ViewsAsterinaDined on 3/9/2014Booked as part of a day in London, this was a special place to have lunch with wonderful views of St Pauls and the city. Unfortunately the food service was rather slow from the kitchen and the menu not clear, we had to ask what sides were available and we thought the main course needed a boost from a side order. One of us received a scraggy looking piece of Monkfish, not well presented at all. We had to return luke warm coffees which were promptly replaced. The staff worked hard and we were looked after well. Would we recommend it? Yes but it's not the tops except for the view, be prepared and allow plenty of time!Special Features:
- Fab setting, fab foodMenuandwineDined on 3/9/2014A lovely setting to enjoy views of London. The ambiance, service and lunch menu was simply fine. Our three courses were each beautifully presented and the flavours were delicate . We had a great panoramic view as we booked well in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it just for the viewBrusselsfoodieDined on 3/9/2014Lovely lunch, attentive service, excellent cocktails and a breathtaking view over St Pauls and the Millenium Bridge. Just great for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/9/2014The service was impeccable- from the time we walked in the door, seating hostess, waitress/ waiter, as well as the wine steward. We had a beautiful view overlooking the river and the city of London. We were never rushed. Thank you, all!Special Features: