85 London Road
Tunbridge Wells, TN1 1EANeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thackerays-restaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 01892511921
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 6:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Richard Phillips
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar/Lounge, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
A word from Thackeray's
Set back on a green off the main London Road in the quaint Kentish spa town of Tunbridge Wells, Thackeray’s occupies a Grade II-listed building of unique character with ancient floorboards and low ceilings. In 2001 it was subject to a glorious conversion, which has created two dining rooms that are cool and modern whilst remaining sympathetic to the age of the building by its understated elegance. Ascend the original ancient wooden stairway, two further private dining rooms, lounge and bar await. These areas have been imaginatively designed and lavishly decorated to provide experiences ranging from intimacy to spectacular. Richard Phillips, chef and co-proprietor creates an intelligent Modern French menu which sparkles with flavour. The meticulous preparation and presentation reflects the elegant atmosphere and surroundings to provide the ultimate dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBusiness Meals
Thackeray's - Best restaurants in Tunbridge Wells ›
Thackeray's reviews from OpenTable diners
222 reviews since 1 November 2013
special occasions (159)fit for foodies (119)romance (95)business meals (62)sunday lunch (51)outstanding value (28)group bookings (20)outdoor eating (19)good vegetarian options (10)brunch (10)child friendly (4)pre/post theatre (3)disabled access (2)Show More
- Every mouthfull was a sensationLenaVIPDined on 19/10/2014I booked a special Sunday birthday lunch for my partner's birthday. It was out first time. The food was sensationally good, every bit of it. Presentation exquisite. Wine list a surprise ( we had a glass of Slovenia wine each, super quality!) They also brought a little special Birthday cake as a compliment.Special Features:
- PerfectDonuts2014Dined on 19/10/2014All the benefits of high quality service, excellent food and ambience without the pretentious nonsense. A real pleasure and one that I can't wait to experience again. Thanks to everyone for a memorable experience (again!).Special Features:
- BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 17/10/2014A most enjoyable meal with very good service. The fixed price lunch is particularly good valueSpecial Features:
- Outsatandingsd19Dined on 12/10/2014Superb menu with wide range of interesting choices for Sunday lunch, food to die for, excellent efficient service. The new maitre d' knows his wines and loves talking about them (knowledgably) We have been around 6 times previously, always good but this was best ever. If this is a new team (certainly the floor staff are), congratulationsSpecial Features:
- Colin BuckleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014The overall meal was excellent, The desert, Thackeray's Black Forest was exceptional and possibly the best desert I have ever had, This restaurant is well worth the detour.Special Features:
- French with a twistAdamDined on 10/10/2014Lovely setting, attentive service and French cuisine with a really modern touch - knowledgeable wine carte without being exorbitant. Allow few minutes extra for parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentholidaymakerDined on 10/10/2014We've been several times before and the experience has always been good. The same applied to our lunch on Thursday 10th October 2014. The staff were very good about the fact that two of our party of five were a half hour late because of traffic problems. There was one slight disappointment. Three of us ordered the lobster salad starter. What came was fine but we were too engrossed in conversation to spot that it wasn't the right order. When we got home and studied the bill it seems we actually got monkfish cheeks. Nothing was said about the substitution and we don't even remember monkfish cheeks being an option on the menu. This did not spoil our enjoyment but remains a mystery.Special Features:
- Special OccasionZacharyDined on 5/10/2014We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and have been to Thackrays before as it is the ideal place for special occasions. We were not disappointed the meal was up to the usual standard and the staff were excellent. We will certainly be returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentCSLBDined on 4/10/2014Wonderful meal. Brilliant service and great maître de. I had mentioned at the time of booking that it was my husbands birthday but didn't say a word while we were there yet they still provided us with a birthday pudding complete with candle and happy birthday chocolate icing - very good customer service and much appreciated.Special Features:
- ExcellentRichie883Dined on 4/10/2014My wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary with a lunch at Thackeray's. The food is simply brilliant, I had one of the best desserts I've ever had. The set lunch menu is outstanding value and we like the attentive yet friendly service. We've been several times before and the quality is consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Value Fine DiningJAW007Dined on 3/10/2014Went for the 3 course set lunch menu - fantastic value for money considering you get three courses for the price of one a la carte main! Great service and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super LunchSatSriAkalDined on 2/10/2014Been here for an outstanding dinner a few years ago, tried the set smaller lunch menu which was on offer this time........outstanding food at a fantastic price in what is the best restaurant in Tunbridge Wells by far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cousinsjr62Dined on 27/9/2014While the food was good, the service, although friendly, was not of a standard you expect from a Michelin-starred restautant. We waited quite a long time for our order to be taken and we had to request extra bread several times We felt there should have been a wine waiter (or someone knowledgeable about the wine being offered) and something a little more sophisticated than a bowl of pea soup for the "amuse-bouche". Prices should reflect better value for money.Special Features:
- A great experienceBacchusDined on 27/9/2014Havent been for a while, but food was excellent, service very attentive (though sometimes felt could have been smoother). Maitre d' could not have been more helpful with my 8 year old, recommending simpler dishes and organising everything with the kitchen. Top notch.Special Features:
- Superb !markcDined on 27/9/2014I have visited Thackerays on many occasions over the years & it never fails to live up to expectations . I have been fortunate to eat in some of the finest restaurants @ twice the price & not delivered the same quality . Good to see the Maitre de back in charge at front of houseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get TogetheracjingleDined on 26/9/2014Had a chance to experience the British Taster menu which I must say was lovely and extremely good value for money at only £49 per person. However, we did not receive the cheese as advertised - had to make do with a cheddar !!!! this was due to a party on the first floor - made us feel a bit like the country cousins. We were not informed of this - it had to take one of our party to point it out to the management, who did apologise. However, the food was scrumptious and the service very good indeed. Would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 25/9/2014Once again what an excellent evening Second time at Thackeray's this time had the Best of British Tasting Menu which was an outstanding meal full of seasonal Autumn ingredients showcased to perfection in not only taste but presentation. Service was exceptional the staff are so attentive and cant do enough to make the whole dinning experience exquisite. if you haven't been to the restraint then your missing out - Book a reservation nowSpecial Features:
- Amazing valueMagpie11Dined on 25/9/2014Set lunch is amazing value and quality of food could not be faulted.Special Features:
- tasting menuhelen1Dined on 23/9/2014Great for special occasions for us the price meant a once in a life time visit. Service was excellent. A real experience but not every day dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting and deliciousluvitallDined on 17/9/2014The set lunch on the occasion in September when I took my daughter on her birthday was perhaps the best one I have had. We're both very interested in food and wine, and apart from the food being adventurous and beautifully arranged, the wine we asked to be matched to the first two courses was perfectly chosen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't disappointbexster64Dined on 16/9/2014I've wanted to go to Thackeray's for years and it didn't disappoint - we went for the tasting menu and it was excellent. Sometimes there was one too many ingredients on the plate but it was stunningly presented and the overall experience was brilliant. The bar is rather nice too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thackeray'sdonnaVIPDined on 14/9/2014Sunday lunch excellent value £29.95. Food of a very high standard. The service was brilliant, we were moved without any fuss when unhappy with the first table offered. Our waiter was attentive, friendly and helpful without being overbearing. I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thackeray's - FantasticSparks78Dined on 13/9/2014A great booking through OpenTable. Every course was outstanding. We thoroughly enjoyed going to Thackeray's for the 1st time. The service is outstanding too.Special Features:
- Great food - but pricey!WestWickhamWandererDined on 12/9/2014A bit shocked by the bill, but then it was a special occasion and definitely the best restaurant meal I've had in years. We particularly liked the chef's complimentary "amuse-bouche" and sorbet between courses. My main course (vegetarian spicy lentils) was gorgeous too. Some dishes perhaps a little over-complicated, in particular the black forest gateau desert which was very fussy - too much going on on the plate - sometimes less is more, but I realise this is a matter of personal taste. Great atmosphere. Great service. Note to the manager - the only thing that let's the restaurant down is the cheap and nasty hand towels in the ladies' loos. Everything else - lovely!Special Features:
- halfmoonDined on 6/9/2014Fantastic food, great sommelier and good wine list. It is always a fun evening out.Special Features:
- This restaurant can be recommended.firsttimerDined on 3/9/2014The meal was very good and the service excellent.though the main course was a little disappointing. The general impression was that the courses are otherwise imaginative and the recommended wines were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration LunchWoodmanDined on 31/8/2014Excellent value for a special Sunday lunch to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary. The wine recommendation was appreciated. Soufflé superb. Quail dish excellent. Convivial and helpful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion!MonkeyDined on 30/8/2014Not been there for ten years or more. The food experience was great and the service fantastic. It lived upto expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as usualSal100VIPDined on 24/8/2014We have had Sunday lunch at Thackeray's lots of times, and it is normally very good. This time is wasn't so good. Food was just warm, service was not great. We had to keep asking for our wine to be topped up. Sat on an uncomfortable seat. Shame as it is normally so niceSpecial Features:
- Worthy of serious consideration.GluttonDined on 24/8/2014Generally, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves in this lovely old restaurant. The staff were polite, friendly and considerate without being obsequious - and it was good to see a young waiter correct himself when he brought out our starters, by stopping in mid-flow when he was about to lay my plate in front of me, in favour of attending to my wife first and murmuring "ladies first". The food was very good indeed - beautifully presented and stopping just short of pretentiousness, with a more than adequate wine-list, though quite a pricey one. We would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - mixed dress codeCarolDined on 21/8/2014Food was very good, service was ok - only two waiters and a manager - the manager only takes order! The Japanese garden was very tired - torn benches! The disappointing thing was the dress code - some customers were smartly dressed but others were dressed quite down - flip flops - for dinner!!! It did make me feel over dressed!!!Special Features:
- Five Belgian Lady ProfessorscramalleyDined on 19/8/2014We (Belgian habitué's of european dining in Brussels, Paris and London) had a marvelous dinner at Thackerays. Food was excellent, in particular the Pithivier and duck, wines very reasonable, the maitre and team "impeccable", desserts and drinks in the upstairs den great ambiance. One (slight) remark: a bit dark. And we were too noisy for the serene atmosphere at Thackeray's, for which we apologize, but an adolescent excitation was part of our senior ladies dinner outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spoily lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 19/8/2014Wonderful treat for lunch with excellent summer special 3 course a la carte menu. To be savoured and enjoyed both visually and orally! Much enjoyed and appreciated!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendedDerek100Dined on 17/8/2014Excellent food, service and setting. Background music too loud.Special Features:
- Great food, terribly slow serviceEatlikeakingDined on 16/8/2014We had the tasting menu and were seated at 7pm on Saturday evening. There were 5 courses of truly tremendous tasting food. The staff were very attentive and helpful but the wait on the food was awful. We didn't end up leaving the restaurant until quarter to 11 and there were occasions where we were sitting twiddling our thumbs for extensive periods of time between courses. It really is such a shame because the food was trememndous but our evening was tarnished somewhat by the above.Special Features:
- Top notch noshsnoopDined on 9/8/2014We visited Thackeray's for our first anniversary dinner and had a wonderful time. The staff were really friendly and helpful, and the food was simply astounding. What flavours! What presentation! We're already looking for another occasion to go back there.Special Features:
- Great LunchTastebudQueenVIPDined on 7/8/2014Lovely setting, we sat outside as it was a lovely warm lunchtime, great food especially starter and main, good choice for a lunchtime menu. Loved also the fact that they did matched wine and good prices for lunchtime. Definitely want to come back for the full taster menu, the building was lovely too, so will eat indoors next time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014The food and service were excellent and the environemt relaxingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- swordfishDined on 6/8/2014Food is outstandingly creative and wonderful, service is fussy rather than friendly. The banquette seating is too low to be comfortable for short people!Special Features:
- ColliverFoodiefussyeaterDined on 5/8/2014Excellent food (as always). Attentive staff. Would highly recommend for value, quality, presentation and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.