85 London Road
Tunbridge Wells, TN1 1EANeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thackerays-restaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 01892511921
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 6:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Richard Phillips
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar/Lounge, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
A word from Thackeray's
Set back on a green off the main London Road in the quaint Kentish spa town of Tunbridge Wells, Thackeray’s occupies a Grade II-listed building of unique character with ancient floorboards and low ceilings. In 2001 it was subject to a glorious conversion, which has created two dining rooms that are cool and modern whilst remaining sympathetic to the age of the building by its understated elegance. Ascend the original ancient wooden stairway, two further private dining rooms, lounge and bar await. These areas have been imaginatively designed and lavishly decorated to provide experiences ranging from intimacy to spectacular. Richard Phillips, chef and co-proprietor creates an intelligent Modern French menu which sparkles with flavour. The meticulous preparation and presentation reflects the elegant atmosphere and surroundings to provide the ultimate dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBusiness Meals
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomance
Thackeray's - Best restaurants in Tunbridge Wells ›
Thackeray's reviews from OpenTable diners
217 reviews since 3 June 2014
special occasions (153)fit for foodies (114)romance (90)business meals (62)sunday lunch (46)outstanding value (27)outdoor eating (20)group bookings (20)brunch (10)good vegetarian options (8)disabled access (3)pre/post theatre (3)child friendly (3)Show More
- cousinsjr62Dined on 27/9/2014While the food was good, the service, although friendly, was not of a standard you expect from a Michelin-starred restautant. We waited quite a long time for our order to be taken and we had to request extra bread several times We felt there should have been a wine waiter (or someone knowledgeable about the wine being offered) and something a little more sophisticated than a bowl of pea soup for the "amuse-bouche". Prices should reflect better value for money.Special Features:
- A great experienceBacchusDined on 27/9/2014Havent been for a while, but food was excellent, service very attentive (though sometimes felt could have been smoother). Maitre d' could not have been more helpful with my 8 year old, recommending simpler dishes and organising everything with the kitchen. Top notch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 25/9/2014Once again what an excellent evening Second time at Thackeray's this time had the Best of British Tasting Menu which was an outstanding meal full of seasonal Autumn ingredients showcased to perfection in not only taste but presentation. Service was exceptional the staff are so attentive and cant do enough to make the whole dinning experience exquisite. if you haven't been to the restraint then your missing out - Book a reservation nowSpecial Features:
- Amazing valueMagpie11Dined on 25/9/2014Set lunch is amazing value and quality of food could not be faulted.Special Features:
- tasting menuhelen1Dined on 23/9/2014Great for special occasions for us the price meant a once in a life time visit. Service was excellent. A real experience but not every day dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't disappointbexster64Dined on 16/9/2014I've wanted to go to Thackeray's for years and it didn't disappoint - we went for the tasting menu and it was excellent. Sometimes there was one too many ingredients on the plate but it was stunningly presented and the overall experience was brilliant. The bar is rather nice too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thackeray'sdonnaVIPDined on 14/9/2014Sunday lunch excellent value £29.95. Food of a very high standard. The service was brilliant, we were moved without any fuss when unhappy with the first table offered. Our waiter was attentive, friendly and helpful without being overbearing. I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thackeray's - FantasticSparks78Dined on 13/9/2014A great booking through OpenTable. Every course was outstanding. We thoroughly enjoyed going to Thackeray's for the 1st time. The service is outstanding too.Special Features:
- Great food - but pricey!WestWickhamWandererDined on 12/9/2014A bit shocked by the bill, but then it was a special occasion and definitely the best restaurant meal I've had in years. We particularly liked the chef's complimentary "amuse-bouche" and sorbet between courses. My main course (vegetarian spicy lentils) was gorgeous too. Some dishes perhaps a little over-complicated, in particular the black forest gateau desert which was very fussy - too much going on on the plate - sometimes less is more, but I realise this is a matter of personal taste. Great atmosphere. Great service. Note to the manager - the only thing that let's the restaurant down is the cheap and nasty hand towels in the ladies' loos. Everything else - lovely!Special Features:
- halfmoonDined on 6/9/2014Fantastic food, great sommelier and good wine list. It is always a fun evening out.Special Features:
- This restaurant can be recommended.firsttimerDined on 3/9/2014The meal was very good and the service excellent.though the main course was a little disappointing. The general impression was that the courses are otherwise imaginative and the recommended wines were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration LunchWoodmanDined on 31/8/2014Excellent value for a special Sunday lunch to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary. The wine recommendation was appreciated. Soufflé superb. Quail dish excellent. Convivial and helpful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion!MonkeyDined on 30/8/2014Not been there for ten years or more. The food experience was great and the service fantastic. It lived upto expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as usualSal100VIPDined on 24/8/2014We have had Sunday lunch at Thackeray's lots of times, and it is normally very good. This time is wasn't so good. Food was just warm, service was not great. We had to keep asking for our wine to be topped up. Sat on an uncomfortable seat. Shame as it is normally so niceSpecial Features:
- Worthy of serious consideration.GluttonDined on 24/8/2014Generally, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves in this lovely old restaurant. The staff were polite, friendly and considerate without being obsequious - and it was good to see a young waiter correct himself when he brought out our starters, by stopping in mid-flow when he was about to lay my plate in front of me, in favour of attending to my wife first and murmuring "ladies first". The food was very good indeed - beautifully presented and stopping just short of pretentiousness, with a more than adequate wine-list, though quite a pricey one. We would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - mixed dress codeCarolDined on 21/8/2014Food was very good, service was ok - only two waiters and a manager - the manager only takes order! The Japanese garden was very tired - torn benches! The disappointing thing was the dress code - some customers were smartly dressed but others were dressed quite down - flip flops - for dinner!!! It did make me feel over dressed!!!Special Features:
- Five Belgian Lady ProfessorscramalleyDined on 19/8/2014We (Belgian habitué's of european dining in Brussels, Paris and London) had a marvelous dinner at Thackerays. Food was excellent, in particular the Pithivier and duck, wines very reasonable, the maitre and team "impeccable", desserts and drinks in the upstairs den great ambiance. One (slight) remark: a bit dark. And we were too noisy for the serene atmosphere at Thackeray's, for which we apologize, but an adolescent excitation was part of our senior ladies dinner outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spoily lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 19/8/2014Wonderful treat for lunch with excellent summer special 3 course a la carte menu. To be savoured and enjoyed both visually and orally! Much enjoyed and appreciated!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendedDerek100Dined on 17/8/2014Excellent food, service and setting. Background music too loud.Special Features:
- Great food, terribly slow serviceEatlikeakingDined on 16/8/2014We had the tasting menu and were seated at 7pm on Saturday evening. There were 5 courses of truly tremendous tasting food. The staff were very attentive and helpful but the wait on the food was awful. We didn't end up leaving the restaurant until quarter to 11 and there were occasions where we were sitting twiddling our thumbs for extensive periods of time between courses. It really is such a shame because the food was trememndous but our evening was tarnished somewhat by the above.Special Features:
- Top notch noshsnoopDined on 9/8/2014We visited Thackeray's for our first anniversary dinner and had a wonderful time. The staff were really friendly and helpful, and the food was simply astounding. What flavours! What presentation! We're already looking for another occasion to go back there.Special Features:
- Great LunchTastebudQueenVIPDined on 7/8/2014Lovely setting, we sat outside as it was a lovely warm lunchtime, great food especially starter and main, good choice for a lunchtime menu. Loved also the fact that they did matched wine and good prices for lunchtime. Definitely want to come back for the full taster menu, the building was lovely too, so will eat indoors next time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014The food and service were excellent and the environemt relaxingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- swordfishDined on 6/8/2014Food is outstandingly creative and wonderful, service is fussy rather than friendly. The banquette seating is too low to be comfortable for short people!Special Features:
- ColliverFoodiefussyeaterDined on 5/8/2014Excellent food (as always). Attentive staff. Would highly recommend for value, quality, presentation and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bit underwhelmednotformeDined on 1/8/2014The wait for the starters was too long. The food did not have the wow factor I was expecting. Some components of the meal I really did not like the taste and texture of at all. The floor was very noisy and shook when the staff walked behind our chairs.Special Features:
- Wonderful lunchtime diningRarecuckoobirdDined on 31/7/2014Sitting outside in the beautiful garden with excellent service, food and wine was perfect for meeting an old friend. The fixed price lunch came with a wide ranging vegetarian menu offering good choice. Beautiful food and attentive staff. Fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- saturday 26th Julylittlemisskc01Dined on 26/7/2014a really lovely atmosphere, with music playing. I went for the vegetarian tasting option which i enjoyed and my bf went for the chef tasting menu. Really nice table by the window. it was an exceptionally hot day so that evening was very close - could have done with some more ventilation but little they could do about that. Really enjoyed the food, the service was great - it was a treat for us which we both enjoyed.. my only gripe is that they had foie gras on the normal taster menu - why does a restaurant still need to have this on a menu?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantDMP78Dined on 18/7/2014It's always a worry when you glance at a menu of a out of town restaurant and all the prices resemble Mayfair or Fitzrovia. I can honestly say this restaurant breaks the mould. Food is excellent in every respect. Locally sourced well presented and a joy to eat. The chef has a real talent for simplicity and yet theoatrical presentation. You always know a restaurant worth it's salt when the menu isn't biblical in length. It assures attention to detail and qaulity. Very good wine menu. The bar could keep up to date with the spirits they stock but honestly I can't mark them down just because the gin selection is a tad middle of the road. Music and ambience is excellent budda bar meets hotel costas. An excellent restaurant and well executed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/7/2014As I left this this restaurant I was asked ( for the umpteenth time ) how my meal/evening had been and I replied honestly that it had been very nice. And that it had been, but it was so close to being perfect, if the food had been a little warmer ( the quality was stunning ) and the ambience less sterile then I think bells would have rung.Special Features:
- Proof of life outside London!DaveDined on 11/7/2014Having moved to Kent from South London last year, my wife and I really miss the quality and variety of the restauant scene. Thank you Thackeray's for doing it so very right! Terrific food goes without saying for a michelin starred establishment and wine that made me so glad I didnt have to drive to get there! They do a mean g&t too. Great, sophisticated dining experience that until then, I thought was very sadly missing from my new home county.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thackareys special dinnerangieDined on 11/7/2014We really enjoyed the attentive yet unobtrusive superb service, the food was absolutely delicious.Special Features:
- Lovely romantic dinnerlove2lunchDined on 11/7/2014We had a very nice evening on friday 11th July. The staff were attentive and knowledgeable about the food. We had a quite romantic table as requested just off the room with the bar. The Food was delicious!Special Features:
- Great Wedding Anniversery Mealchampagnetaste76Dined on 10/7/2014After pre - dinner drinks at Sankeys we arrived prompt for an early sitting. Chose the Chef's Tasting Menu with wine. The combinations were bang on - who knew Washington State Gewurztraminer was so good! The wife and I were bowled over. Not cheap but it was our 38thSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic eveningsgmxDined on 5/7/2014What a great evening. The team of staff were fantastic, so attentive, quick and friendly. The food came out quickly but not rushed and it was fantastic. Only thing to fault was when the meal finished we had to leave. Having eaten at another of their Restaurants we knew it would be good but the Chefs Taster was fantastic, the taste was exquisite. Yes its expensive but for 7 course it was good value, The Lunch Menu is great value as well and I will be going there as the food is around the same price as the chains yet so much betterSpecial Features:
- SuperbLocalgirlDined on 3/7/2014As always, a very special dining experience. The food was as beautiful as it was delicious and we always appreciate not being rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imaginative menuSlinkycherubsVIPDined on 29/6/2014Each dish at Thackeray's was lovingly created and full of intriguing ingredients to make it a very exciting experience in a gorgeous setting.Special Features:
- JadePaigeDined on 28/6/2014The excellent food was only matched by the superb service, which whilst attentative was nevertheless relaxed and friendly
- Amazing mealGillsDined on 27/6/2014We went to celebrate my husbands birthday, having visited before knew it would be good. However, this time they surpassed our high expectations. This is fine dining on another level. We have eaten at many Michelin star restaurants but I can honestly say this was the best meal I have ever had. After a tasty amuse bouche, the Pithivier I ordered was to die for, then a complimentary fish course was not only a nice touch but a delicious addition. The beef Rossini main was everything it promised to be. Our mistake was ordering a portion of potatoes and spinach to share, we shouldn't have as there was plenty already on our plates. My raspberry souffle was so good and the birthday petit fours for my husband was really appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RealityDined on 27/6/2014Poor start having been served with a flat Kir Royale. When I first pointed this out I just received a shrug, however when I mentioned it for the 2 nd time it was replaced. Despite this food and service were good although very expensive when compared to similar restaurants with same standard of food and service.Special Features: