Thai Square Covent Garden
166 - 170 Shaftesbury Avenue
London, WC2H 8JBNeighbourhood:
ThaiPrice: £26 to £40
Thai Square Covent Garden
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thaisquare.net/#restaurants
- Phone: 02078367600
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 12pm - 3pm, 5:30pm - 11pm
Saturday 12pm - 3pm, 5:30 - 12am
Sunday 12pm - 3pm, 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Wine
A word from Thai Square Covent Garden
Located on Shaftesbury Avenue in the heart of London's West End, Thai Square is a stylish and unique restaurant offering fantastic Thai cuisine. The dining room at Thai Square, which is open until midnight during the week and until 2am Fridays and Saturdays, has a sophisticated bar area opening onto a vaulted, naturally-lit dining room of great style, with granite floors, red and white walls and an imposing golden statue of Buddha – giving the restaurant an uptown ambience. Thai Square also has a small courtyard. Popular for business meetings, Thai Square has an upmarket Thai menu featuring dishes like the grilled lobster with garlic butter, the sea bass rolls served with curry, and the tom kha pla soup – a coconut milk based soup with fish and lemongrass. Thai Square’s wine list is impressive, and the service is superb enough to get you to the theatre on time.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Thai Square Covent Garden reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since 2 June 2014
pre/post theatre (27)group bookings (15)special occasions (12)good vegetarian options (11)fit for foodies (9)romance (7)business meals (7)outstanding value (6)child friendly (4)sunday lunch (2)afternoon tea (2)disabled access (1)brunch (1)Show More
- Perfect for pre theatreTashDined on 12/8/2014Excellent value for money 3 course pre theatre menu for £15.95 with huge portions and tasty food. Vegetarian Pad Thai was delicious! Great location for theatres. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty treats at Thai SqRBEatVIPDined on 11/8/2014Convenient location for getting some food pre heading out with friends to the theatre or cinema. Has a good range of menu options which can cater to a range of dietary requirements. Always a safe bet.Special Features:
- Great restaurant for all occasionspeanutDined on 26/7/2014Booked this restaurant as part of a Stag do for 10 people. The restaurant easily accommodated us without any issues, even after turning up 30 minutes late. We ordered the gold and silver set menus and the food was great. The Drunken duck and Sirloin steak dishes was a hit for quite a few people in my group. There is quite a decent selection of drinks/cocktails with the usual house beers also available. The staff at the restaurant were very keen and tentative, but not overwhelming. Good ambience and friendly vibe that I would recommend for all occasions. Situated in the heart of the west end, which means you have easy access to various bars and clubs afterwards. If you're thinking of going here you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- disappointedsmudgeDined on 10/7/2014Went to the Thai square at the back of Oxford street and it was very nice, so was really disappointed when I went to the one in Covent garden, service was poor and the food was awful. The Thai green chicken curry was more like dish water, would not recommend and would not go back.
- Great Restaurant1stTimeDined on 1/7/2014I have been to the Thai Square Covent Garden before with some friends and it still does not disappoint. Great place, great food and great service. I will definitely be going back in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly serviceheidiDined on 3/6/2014We had the set 3 course pre-theatre. Food was good except for the mango sorbet desert. Tasted very artificial. I could not eat it. Service was friendly but a bit slow so had to rush to the theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodsimonkosDined on 1/6/2014Had a lovely meal x food was very tasty x just felt the music was ambient and felt very tired aftwardsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My birthdayluv2dineDined on 17/5/2014I celebrated my birthday in thai square. Everyone in my group was really impressed with the food the service and the atmosphere in the place. I almost felt like I was in Thailand .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1St time Thai Square Covent GardenSMEMILEVIPDined on 3/5/2014Drinks ( Ancora Pinot Rose & Jasmine Tea ) Silver set menu : Starters = satay, crab cake, duck spring rolls, prawn temp and Thai dim sum. Main of our choice : Kor Moo YangGrilled = pork end neck with chef's secret recipe sauce. Panang Beef = Sirloin topped with coconut cream, nicely presented with shredded fresh lime leaves. Accompaniments : Pad Thai Chicken & Steamed Rice Dessert : Oasis = Refreshing lychee in syrup served cold with crushed ice or Mango Ice Cream Very good portions , tasty food and good service Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Very GoodpuddliesDined on 1/4/2014We had a very good meal. Service was excellent although the restaurant was not too busy. Food was very good and the staff helpful in choosing an excellent meal.Special Features:
- Pre theatreAngieDined on 27/3/2014Really enjoyed our meal but missed out on the mango sorbet as we would have missed the theatre! Friendly staff and great Buddha. Seafood salad was super spicy with red chillies -yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thai Square DisappointingBurnsyDined on 23/3/2014We love Thai food and we've had great experiences in Thai Square locally to us. I booked Thai Square Shaftesbury Avenue for a family members birthday. It's a nice enough space - very large and nicely decorated. Once seated, we waited for ages for someone to attend to us. Eventually I had to ask for someone to come and take drink orders. This was how it continued. Lack of attention and slow service. The starters we ordered were nice but the mixed starters were a little sparse on the plate. When the mains arrived, my green curry was cold and had to be sent back. It was mainly vegetables and a lot of chicken. For the relatively high prices it was below par. We've had far better service and good elsewhere so we won't be returning.
- Thai SquareNonieDined on 15/3/2014We were in a great rush and told the server and our meal was served so quickly. Had the drunken duck again which was awesome. No complaints at all and a 5 star rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingVicarDined on 14/3/2014I booked for a 10.30 Friday night after theatre supper to find a notice that said claed at 9.30 tonight go to trafkagar square branch 12 minute walk service ok food dire could have been anywhere very weak Thai flavours try somewhere else is my recommendation
- nice looking restaurant butleslieVIPDined on 14/3/2014we had booking for 11 pm after show all confirmed long walk to find it from leicester square arirved early to find they had closed restaurant at 930 for a group booking staff lied saying kitchen was not working what is annoying they made now effort to contact me to say dont come even though they had email address and phone so that marred evening in fairness they sent us to thai sq leicester square they did pay for taxi at other end when chased and they did give discount of 15%. Ambiance at trafalgar sq not so good and food was very average comments about food relate to traf square in future if you have bookings and you know you are closed and you have contact details then please call the clients dont ruin the friday evening
- Thai Square SohoG15mallDined on 7/3/2014Booked dinner at Thai Square for a Friday evening. The seating is quite cramped but reasonably comfortable. The food i s fair to good. Having eaten a starter I did not like having my cutlery left on the table mat for use with the main course: the table mats are not cleaned between users and if they do this for everyone it is pretty un-hygenic!! Main course was fine and staff are quite attentive (didnt have to wait long for food or to pay). The toilets (down a flight of stairs) really need to be cleaned more regularly. They were in a pretty sorry state and took the edge off the eveningSpecial Features:
- Thai Experience ....KettsVIPDined on 22/2/2014Tried this place for the second time ... service was appaulling both times. Resented paying the service charge which was automatically added - should have asked them to remove it but it took so long to get the bill that just wanted to pay and leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice when the food is hotReviewerDined on 20/2/2014We had an okay experience here. Starters came out cold so we sent the food back. It came back hot, just hope it wasn't a microwave job! Pad Thai was tasty if a bit spicy. I did ask for it to be slightly spicy, but not that much!Special Features:
- OkNicolaDined on 19/2/2014We had an ok meal at Thai Square, The food was alright but only just. If I am honest I wouldn't bother to go there again.Special Features:
- Just as expected from this chainAndyTDined on 5/2/2014We went to this Thai Square in Shaftesbury Avenue early evening before a show. As it's part of chain we knew what to expect and were neither surprised nor disappointed. A perfectly competent meal in a largely empty restaurant as it was so early.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early evening mealDeannDined on 30/1/2014The pre-theatre meal was excellent value and the service was very good. We were a party of 5 and arrived early but were seated quickly even though it wasn't due to open for another 5 minutes. We all enjoyed the meal and had more than enough food to fill us up. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Wifes Birtday treatpeeweeDined on 18/1/2014Went to the Thai square after theatre. Great food at a reasonable price for central London. Service good and friendly. Would recommend this restaurant Had a dish called Weeping Tiger absolutely superb I think that's what it was called.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thai Square Convent GardenapatgeeVIPDined on 18/1/2014Could learn a lot from the Thai Square Putney. I hadn't realised we'd been here before until we arrived. Same as last time we ate here. Good for tourists.
- StandardFoodLoverDined on 10/1/2014The service is not always the best, but the food is good and there's not a long wait. I've been before and I'll go again, but it's just a standard dinner, nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThaiKettsVIPDined on 4/1/2014Great Thai Square - prefer this one to Islington and Oxford Circus. Food very tasty but service was very slow and a lot of confusion e.g. our mains went to another table then they finally got to us but we were still eating our starters which took 30 minutes to arrive.Special Features:
- Slow startersKL2KL2Dined on 7/12/2013Starters took around 45 mins from ordering so sat at 8 and at 9:25 had to ask for mains!! Quite big so ambience ok but not great. V sweaty! 3 loos out of service, one a mess and one good. Not great. Luckily food was good.
- We had a lovely meal at thefinedineDined on 30/11/2013We had a lovely meal at the Thai Square, the food was loved by all. Would love to go again on the next visit to LondonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too many group bookingsstanleyipkissVIPDined on 23/11/2013We were a party of 8 and got sat right next to two tables of 30... As one can imagine it was very loud!! We didn't have to wait for our food for too long but dishes came in a very scattered way, at least 30min between the first and last main! We had to send one of the main courses back twice because the beef was over cooked (although we asked for rare) Starters were cold (thai mix platters) but overall food was very good. Verdict: if you go, try to avoid weekends (group booking) and ask to be sat in the front room as they put big tables in the back room.
- Disappointing!NaomiCJDined on 20/11/2013After having been to a very good Thai Square in Windsor I took some overseas guests to Thai Square Covent Garden prior to going to a show. The service was very slow & the food was disappointing, one of my friends dinner was actually not warm! Really not impressed, would not go back & would not recommend to anyone else.
- I went their for my birthdayLindosDined on 16/11/2013I went their for my birthday and we just really did not like the atmosphere. It is a very noisy and huge room with a lot of tables for bigger parties. Further, we had to wait an hour for our bill, as the cash register was broken and it took forever to sort this out manually.Special Features:
- Good Theatre MealyummyDined on 19/10/2013Thai Square Covent Garden provides a handy venue for pre or post theatre dining.The service is efficient ,and the food reasonably priced and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 437 reviews are from the Thai Square Covent Garden reviews archive.
- The food in the restaurantJowwVIPDined on 26/9/2013The food in the restaurant is a bit above the others in this chain, it is also a bit more expensive so it is a trade off as you get a bit more of a change of menu. I had the Chicken and Cashew with rice and it was a very tasty dish. I really enjoyed the mix of peppers and chilies that just add something extra to the dish. I would recommend this dish as an alternative to a curry.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thai ExperienceIndoMalteseDined on 26/9/2013Great decor, lovely food, traditionally-dressed staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to the standard of othersKaypDined on 7/9/2013Having been to the beautiful Thai square in Putney I thought I knew what I was in for. This new restaurant still obviously has many teething problems. Waiters were unsure which dishes were vegetarian and peered inside of them in a bid to figure it out. They had no idea about which of the two curries we had ordered was for a friend with allergies who had even called in advance to check that she could eat there. Even for me, the seafood salad left my mouth burning after the first bite and I can handle spice! The scallops were gritty too. And don't get me started on the bathrooms the state of some were enough to make anyone gag and in the end only one was fit for use accompanied by soggy toilet roll! Horrible!
- Excellent food and cocktails!NessaDined on 5/9/2013Excellent food and cocktails! Quick service which was great as we had a performance to go to. I would definitely go there again and recommend it to anyone. It's very close to the ambassador theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingyumyumDined on 4/9/2013My partner and I have been to Thai Square (Covent Garden) a number of times over the past few years, however this particular visit was not great at all. The portions are getting smaller, and the food was all very sweet. We were both very disappointed.Special Features:
- Vegetarians be alerted...NeelDined on 2/9/2013I am vegetarian, we ordered Corn Cakes, but waitress brought us some non-vegetarian dish by mistake (not sure whose mistake was it though - waitress's or chef's), only after first bite we could recognise that it was not vegetarian, when reported to waitress she went in the Kitchen to check and came back apologizing that it was indeed a non-veg dish and gave excuse that Chef was new. Later we ordered Vegetarian Curry for main course, that also tasted weird, actually its after-taste was fishy, we did not order anything after that and left. On the good note vegetarian soup that we had was really good, and because of above mishap they did not charge us for Corn Cake and gave us 10% additional discount on our total bill.
- great chainDMDMDined on 20/7/2013cant go wrong with thai square good quality food always decent value for moneySpecial Features:
- Set menu price was very misleadingKhaiDined on 6/7/2013Set menu price was very misleading and when dealing with this confusion the manager had attitude and I feel I was over charged massively!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Up to Thai Suqare standardsstanleyipkissVIPDined on 29/6/2013It's hard to be disappointed with Thai Square as we pretty much know what to expect. Keep up with the good standards!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.